Klonopin liquid taper plan....please anyone review and give input

[B ...]

SG and Builder,

Unfortunately I don't think I have been comfortable on any amount since I went back on Klonopin a few months back, that's what scares me. I took .5mg as needed years ago and it worked for me. I went off it, no problem  (not knowing about benzo withdrawal), and was off it for 4+ years.

Last year I had many health issues and went back on the .5, first 2-3 times a week which wasn't helping,  I tried to go off twice but got slammed with sxs. I ended up in the psych hospital and came out much worse with Akathasia from the drugs they gave me.

I went back on .5k daily for a few days, and still it wasn't doing what it was supposed to do. I cut down to the current .375 where I've been for a few weeks.

Perhaps I've reached tolerance, which I guess would mean that I might have to go way up in dose since the .5 wasn't working? Am I someone who won't ever be able to go off because of this, or if I try titration couldn't make it through?

Is it possible no dose would be high enough and the klonopin just won't work for me anymore? I hate feeling so powerless.

I'm very scared that I may never be able to get off this drug....the doctor thinks I'm on 3x1mg daily, and told me withdrawal for benzos only last while the drug is in your body, so I'm worried he would pull the drug out from me quickly if he knew I was trying to taper.

I'm not sure what to do and don't want to add alot more drug if it doesn't work, then I'm either stuck on a drug that's not helping or have to try and taper from a much higher dose, still having sxs.

That's why I've been trying to tough it out on this dose while getting my equipment to taper, but with almost constant anxiety and intrusive thoughts. I want it to be over, and I know its not even close, if I add more drug it may never end.

Is there any hope of getting off this drug?...

Thanks for trying to help, just feel so hopeless.....

Scared

I'm very scared that I may never be able to get off this drug....the doctor thinks I'm on 3x1mg daily, and told me withdrawal for benzos only last while the drug is in your body, so I'm worried he would pull the drug out from me quickly if he knew I was trying to taper.

My advice is not to tell your doctor you're tapering.  :thumbsup:

FWIW, I was on 1.5 mg all solid clonazepam. I just upped it to 2mg with half of that liquid. I am sleeping ok, but I feel really sluggish.  I plan on tapering next week.  I do feel stable but lethargic.

Thanks SG for response, guess there's no way to really know for sure until it happens. If I stayed where I'm at, and it doesn't work, could I then go up on liquid dose after starting? (Say from .375 to .4?).... Or are you saying that "it may not help", meaning it's possible I would still suffer even if I went up.

Is it better to start at .375 and try it, even if you have to go up (if that's possible), or is it better to start maybe at ~.4, or.5 and be careful?

Appreciate your opinion....

It won't make things worse and could make them better.  That's all I can tell you.  If you don't mind the extra tapering time or if symptoms are bad, it may be worth it.

SG, 

I appreciate all your help so far. I've decided to at least attempt the milk LT. Started last night, went up slightly to .4mgk from the .375.

Started with the .5mg in 50ml .01mg/ml.

Don't have many. 5 pills left, as the doctor will only give me 1ml because him wanting me on 3x1mg.

My main question, if I mix the 1ml pill in 100 ml milk, I get the same ratio, correct .01mgk per ml.

Could I use the milk for 2 days of doses?...Since the dose is less than 1/2 of the mixture? This would help save pills.

Plan on holding for a few days per your advice to try and adjust to the liquid before I taper.

When I start tapering

1stday        40.0 ml (.4mgk/ml)

2nd day      39.9ml (.399mgk/ml)

Thanks again

SG, 

I appreciate all your help so far. I've decided to at least attempt the milk LT. Started last night, went up slightly to .4mgk from the .375.

Started with the .5mg in 50ml .01mg/ml.

Don't have many. 5 pills left, as the doctor will only give me 1ml because him wanting me on 3x1mg.

My main question, if I mix the 1ml pill in 100 ml milk, I get the same ratio, correct .01mgk per ml.

Could I use the milk for 2 days of doses?...Since the dose is less than 1/2 of the mixture? This would help save pills.

Plan on holding for a few days per your advice to try and adjust to the liquid before I taper.

When I start tapering

1stday        40.0 ml (.4mgk/ml)

2nd day      39.9ml (.399mgk/ml)

Thanks again

Sure.  Your dose is .4mg so a 1mg pill makes a two and a half day supply.  Saves the hassle of daily prep.

have you thought about switching to another doctor? I have found some Psych docs to be better versed at tapering benzos. If tapering the K ends up being rough, there is always the option of switching over to Valium...for some this has worked well...

Honestly, i think telling your doctor is a mistake. I never told mine. They treat you differently when they think you're an addict.

All you need the doctor for is to give you the meds. You can taper on your own just as easily.  :thumbsup:

I went to another pdoctor previously and he said to get off cut your dose in half for a week then quit. That was after I asked to try and switch to Valium. He then reduced the klonopin. I ended up in the psych hospital because of acute anxiety and not any medication to help it...it took 4 months to get another appointment with my current pdoc. In the 1st visit I asked him about benzo withdrawal and he said, the longest it can last is 2-3 weeks, because once they leave your body you can't have withdrawal. So I just got a prescription and shut up.

In my area there is an extreme shortage of psychiatrists. The few "good ones" aren't accepting new patients, and you have to wait upwards of 4 months for an appointment for the ones you can see. Sad but true. Those of you that have a good doctor have no idea how lucky you are.

Seems as though the only people that even believe in benzo withdrawal are the people IN benzo withdrawal.

• 2 weeks later...

Started LT with milk 11 days ago...reducing .001mgK per day. Trying to go slow and steady. So far almost same sxs as before I started......., today more rough though. Hoping for more regular bad days instead of really bad days.

Really hard to deal with the waves.....hoping for a few windows.

Tj, did you have insomnia and anxiety problems prior to your liquid attempt or do you feel that was the reason? Have both myself, the K has helped me get a little sleep as my dose has been at night....getting about 3-4 hours a night now, only about an hour before going back on it.

Had 14 day period where I got less than 12 hours sleep total.  Which certainly doesn't help anxiety. Fixing to start titration myself. Scared but need to try.

Hoping we have better luck going forward.

Well, its a long story.  I was on .5mg for a long time 1x a day. Then last spring I wasn't sleeping at all.  Very similar to what you were getting. Ran every test possible and my cortisol was high. I was going thru tolerance withdrawal. I didn't realize it for so long. Thank God for this site!! So I updosed to 1.5mg all dry.  I never felt great but have been doing ok.  Only when I switched from 1.5mg solid to all 1.5mg all liquid earlier this week did I have trouble. Now at 1.5mg solid and .5mg liquid I am sleeping ok.  I still feel groggy and I am going to start tapering in a week or so. I up dosed .5 mg liquid which may be more than needed but just wanted to start at an even number of 2 mg.  KIT.  Good luck!!

My GP checked my cortisol and it is high also, can't get in to endocrinologist till August though.

Did they do anything for your cortisol?

Thanks

I used seriphos and ordered my own blood and urine tests through life extension. I read a great book that explained all this that I will get the name for you.  I think it was called the mood cure by Dr. Julia Ross.  Ultimately though it was the tolerance withdrawal that was the main culprit!!

TJ,

How's it going?  Did you start your taper yet? What kind? Is it going ok?

Saw some other people use the seriphos for cortisol problems....when do you take it, and how is it working for you?

Noticed it's not available anywhere online right now, all have it back ordered. 

Good luck to you...

SG,

I have 50ml milk with a .01mgk mixture  (.5mg pill)...

Been reducing at .001mg per day, believe that is about 7 1/2% per month? Couple days pretty bad in 1st 12 days, others just "normal bad"...not worse than before.

If at some point it was increased to .002mg, that would be ~15% per month then, correct? Not doing it yet, just wanted to check. Is that a lot?

Thanks, hope you are ok

Tj, did you have insomnia and anxiety problems prior to your liquid attempt or do you feel that was the reason? Have both myself, the K has helped me get a little sleep as my dose has been at night....getting about 3-4 hours a night now, only about an hour before going back on it.

Had 14 day period where I got less than 12 hours sleep total.  Which certainly doesn't help anxiety. Fixing to start titration myself. Scared but need to try.

Hoping we have better luck going forward.

Well, its a long story.  I was on .5mg for a long time 1x a day. Then last spring I wasn't sleeping at all.  Very similar to what you were getting. Ran every test possible and my cortisol was high. I was going thru tolerance withdrawal. I didn't realize it for so long. Thank God for this site!! So I updosed to 1.5mg all dry.  I never felt great but have been doing ok.  Only when I switched from 1.5mg solid to all 1.5mg all liquid earlier this week did I have trouble. Now at 1.5mg solid and .5mg liquid I am sleeping ok.  I still feel groggy and I am going to start tapering in a week or so. I up dosed .5 mg liquid which may be more than needed but just wanted to start at an even number of 2 mg.  KIT.  Good luck!!

My GP checked my cortisol and it is high also, can't get in to endocrinologist till August though.

Did they do anything for your cortisol?

Thanks

I used seriphos and ordered my own blood and urine tests through life extension. I read a great book that explained all this that I will get the name for you.  I think it was called the mood cure by Dr. Julia Ross.  Ultimately though it was the tolerance withdrawal that was the main culprit!!

TJ,

How's it going?  Did you start your taper yet? What kind? Is it going ok?

Saw some other people use the seriphos for cortisol problems....when do you take it, and how is it working for you?

Noticed it's not available anywhere online right now, all have it back ordered. 

Good luck to you...

Ya, I started my taper.  I am reducing 1 ml a day out of 100 ml with 2mg of K dissolved in alcohol. I feel decent.  I just sprained my mcl in my knee pretty bad so that has caused some stress, but it's gone ok.  I should be well in 3 weeks.  I am not taking the seriphos, but when I did I took it 4-6 hours before bed then again before bed. Since I've updosed I have been ok.  I do think once I get to 50-60 ml I will have to slow it down for sure.  I am at 90 ml on my taper tomorrow. Have you read Julia ross's book I think it's called the mood cure!!??  I can look it up for you for sure if you want.  I am taking melatonin and a sliver of unisom every night.  I take normal vitamins, fish oil, d3, multi, and ester C.  Let me know if u want me to look up how and when to take seriphos.  It's been a while.  Good luck to you!!!  O ya. I did split all my doses from twice a day to 3 times a day!!! It helped head and neck aches before my pm dose!!!

SG,

Been reducing at .001mg per day, believe that is about 7 1/2% per month? Couple days pretty bad in 1st 12 days, others just "normal bad"...not worse than before.

If at some point it was increased to .002mg, that would be ~15% per month then, correct? Not doing it yet, just wanted to check. Is that a lot?

Thanks, hope you are ok

There is a wide range of what people can handle.  15% could be a lot or not much depending on you.  That's a big jump up to make.  You could try .0015mg.

SG,

Thanks, hope you are ok

There is a wide range of what people can handle.  15% could be a lot or not much depending on you.  That's a big jump up to make.  You could try .0015mg.

Thanks for replying SG,

That makes sense, may try that when the time comes. Have a good day as much as possible.