Important Survey - Please Participate ×

softail- depression

[no...]

Hey there. I read in another post that while on Klonpin you had symptoms of depression. You do not say why you started taking K, but I am wondering if you think the K caused the depression. Also- was it a symptom you felt during w/d as well? I think the .25 I have been on since Dec may be becoming useless and have been really low and wiped out this spring. just wondering about your take on it.  _Susan

northofhere,  in regards to the question of depression.    I was in deep depression while on the k monster, but I can't really say it caused it.  I do know that it intensified it.  If you read enough posts here you will find many have depression as a symptom.    If you were not depressed before taking K , and are now, I would guess , in your case it is  related to the k.  \

While on the K and during my withdrawl my depression was severe so my neurologist added wellbutrin to my drug cocktail.  The depression continued , so my shrink added in nortryptoline. 

As I continued to ween myself from the k, about 4 weeks from my jump point , the depression pretty much went away.  My guess is the antidepressants helped, and getting off the K also  was key.

I continue to take the wellbutrin and nortryptoline and feel really good.  Depression is a horrible symptom and can be unbearable at times.

I suffer from RLS, and I believe the wellbutrin and nortryptoline also are instrumental in helping with this disease, since they work on the dopamine area of the brain.

Not sure if I answered your question to your satisfaction, but the combination of quiting the k and finding the right antid's has been my magic bullet.

AS best as I can tell from your short note, you were not suffering depression previously , so that points all the fingers at the k in my opinion.

If it continues post K, then you may need to look further for help if it continues longterm.

good luck

st

Hi Northofhere,

I didn't have any depression whatsoever until I was placed on Klonopin.  It kicked in after a few months and just got worse and worse, so I know that it was the K that caused it and no AD has helped with the symptoms unfortunately.  The good news is that it has started to ease up somewhat as I get lower in my taper, so I'm hoping by the time I jump off and begin to heal it will just get better and better until it buggers off for good!

Take care

B

thanks to both of you.  I am pretty much winging it on my own with this trip, so your replies are so appreciated.  i think the K intensifies the low mood, and then the w/d from cymbalta gives it that extra ooomph.  I have to get things a bit more stable before starting the K taper again. Dr suggests prozac. I'm unsure of it, don't want to amp my fear quotient up any higher.  Anyway- thanks- susan