Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Do you think depression is more a side effect of benzos or a withdrawal symptom?

[st...]

Hey just wanting to hear what you all think.  DO you think depression is more of a side effect of benzos (in particular klonopin in my case) or more a withdrawal symptom.  Any strong feelings one way or another. 

Hello StepbyStep,

I think depression is both a side effect AND a withdrawal symptom.  Most of the time that I was on klonopin, I was also on an antidepressant...and I tapered off of both at the same time.  So I am probably not a good person to ask.  But I looked up both side effects and withdrawal effects of klonopin and a lot of them are the same.

Did you have depression before you took a benzodiazepine?

~Leena

Leena,  Your question is a good one.  I'd say I'd get the blues now and then but they would come and go very quickly.  But now the blues are here quite often (a few days each week).  I not going to blame every sad feeling on the benzos but I am not nearly as fun loving, carefree and optimistic as I used to be.  Darrin

I agree with Leena.....however, I think w/d exasperated the depression!

I have always had the blues here and there but nothing like what w/d will do to me somedays.

hope that helps a bit :)

Hey Step,

I never experienced depression before in my life.  I mean, I had the usual blue, down in the dumps feeling as anyone can get.  At months 3-4, I experienced for the first time in my life the intensity and pain of depression.  I would say that the klono definitely caused me to have those episodes of (chemical) depression, and for me, it was a withdrawal symptom.  Eventually, the pain of depression ended, and thank God it has never returned.  I pray that it lifts for you soon because it is crippling.  Stay the course.