Open Group  ·  68 members

Music Lovers

What is your favorite Oldie but Goodie Song ?

[be...]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I only listen to mostly records. Been a music guy all my life. Muscle Cars, Pinball machines and a lot of Loud Rock is where I'm still at at 68 years old. James Gang anyone? I've learned technology out of necessity but Analog is the real deal. Here's two of my favorite tracks. 

Now listen how they made it. The creativity computers made obsolete.

• Like 2

@[Pi...] i spent so much time in the boardwalk arcades of the jersey shore playing the old Williams. Bally and Gottlieb pinball machines. 
what a thrill to turn the score back to all zeros when it wouldn’t go any higher.

also, bet we could go on about muscle cars. So great. The beautiful colors and details.

I remember being so angry and upset when cars colors were limited to white, ugly cheap burgundy, boring blues, and hideous tans. 

what the hell happened to everything beautiful.

Style and elegance are missing from so much these days. Makes me sad.

• Like 1

widesky: I used to repair the old electromechanical machines for friends as a hobby. Nothing better than a pre 1978 Gottlieb pinball machine. The very last electromechanical made was 1977 Jacks Open made by Gottlieb. These machines were hand built masterpieces of mechanical engineering. One arcade I played in the owner told me I was not welcome there because I would tie up his machines for hours constantly winning. At 15 years old that makes you do just the opposite. Don't challenge a 15 year old boy. Drove that old man nuts because there was no cheating so he didn't have a leg to stand on. See if you remember this game. The chimes by the way because I've been asked this 1000 times are actually three xylophone bars and 3 solenoids that have plungers that play when activated. The free game knocker that infamous sound is a very simple solenoid assembly anchored to the side of the cabinet that wacks a piece of metal and resonates through the cabinet. Most of these machines will run again with a little time and effort even though they are 50 to 60 year old with 90% original parts. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, [[P...] said:

widesky: I used to repair the old electromechanical machines for friends as a hobby. Nothing better than a pre 1978 Gottlieb pinball machine. The very last electromechanical made was 1977 Jacks Open made by Gottlieb. These machines were hand built masterpieces of mechanical engineering. One arcade I played in the owner told me I was not welcome there because I would tie up his machines for hours constantly winning. At 15 years old that makes you do just the opposite. Don't challenge a 15 year old boy. Drove that old man nuts because there was no cheating so he didn't have a leg to stand on. See if you remember this game. The chimes by the way because I've been asked this 1000 times are actually three xylophone bars and 3 solenoids that have plungers that play when activated. The free game knocker that infamous sound is a very simple solenoid assembly anchored to the side of the cabinet that wacks a piece of metal and resonates through the cabinet. Most of these machines will run again with a little time and effort even though they are 50 to 60 year old with 90% original parts. 

Yes! I’ve played this one and it’s solid. That free game “pop” was awesome.

Thanks for adding a moment of joy to my world, buddy.

• Like 1

Such an incredible and talented visionary. I met her at Tower Records Superstore NYC  in 1994. Such a great time to have lived in Manhattan. 
Love you, Kate!

• Like 1

On 18/02/2024 at 18:42, [[w...] said:

Such an incredible and talented visionary. I met her at Tower Records Superstore NYC  in 1994. Such a great time to have lived in Manhattan. 
Love you, Kate!

I am a fan..when she did Don’t Give Up with Peter Gabriel it was magic.  

• Like 3