Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Deep Depression in Morning

[Bo...]

I notice lately when I wake up in the morning there is like a heavy cloud of depression over me.. It then gets better as the day goes on.. Another w/d symptom I guess? What a run.. Bob

early am is my worst time for depression and anxiety period. It usually the anxiety wakes me every morning like clockwork 500am . yes it gets better but later in the day. I can see why one would have to miss work some days getting up fighting depression is tough it's hard. . Been there 3 yrss now still on no anti depressants cant take them I have side effects cant tolerate any of them- given up taking anti depressants after 3 yrs. I go to counseling. vicky

I just posted a question about this.  If I had looked at your thread first I wouldn't have needed to.  Depression is definitely worse in mornings and I often find the fog lifting as the day goes on.  Some days by evening it is hard to fathom that I started the day depressed.  ???

Early morning depression is so much a part of my life that I don't even think about it any more.  Just grateful that it is over by 8:00 a.m.

ntw

The morning is the most challenging part of the day for me too. I also wonder later in the day what my problem was because by then those feelings are completely gone. An experiment would be to hop out of bed and quickly get on with the day, not stopping enough to think about how we feel - wonder what would happen?

icandothis,  This is exactly the advice that Dr. Claire Weekes gives in her excellent book.  "Hope and Help for your Nerves"  I just wanted to pass that along.  Darrin

Really? I haven't read it, its sitting at the library for me to pick up. Wow, that's cool - maybe I'm getting better at this as I go. Thanks for pointing that out - you made my day :)

So, even with the prozac, NTW, you still have depression?

I should explain that I am not currently taking Prozac.  It is still in my sig line because I have absolutely ruled it out, just finding that it didn't make much difference and with my pdoc's approval have suspended it for the time being.  The only thing I am taking now is Deplin and also with my pdoc's approval experimenting with 5HTP.  Currently less depressed than I have been in my adult life but still have a tough time between 5:00 and 8:00 a.m.  I hope that this will eventually go away too.

ntw

The morning is the most challenging part of the day for me too. I also wonder later in the day what my problem was because by then those feelings are completely gone. An experiment would be to hop out of bed and quickly get on with the day, not stopping enough to think about how we feel - wonder what would happen?

I think it's just coming out of sleeping.  I am hypothyroid, but before that I had depression.  I work on an shifted schedule (most of the

time I get out of work at 9PM or later).  So I usually end up getting to sleep at 5 or 6am and sleep until noon or 1PM.  (Except for those

times that they turn around and schedule me in the morning.  Moving me around like that really messes with you diurnal rhythms).

***I had to modify below on 5/2...I had originally written "LESS" where you see "MORE"; now what wrote following that makes more sense.

Moral of the story...proofread!  LOL!**** :D

The one thing I have noticed is that whenever my "morning" is (when I wake up), I am always depressed.  This has been true right

when I cam down with depression, even before any other health problems of benzos.  I also notice that the MORE sleep I get, the crappier I feel when I wake up.  Like if wake up at say, 8am, after 3 or 4 hours of sleep, I feel groggy and a little depressed, but not

so bad.  If I go back to sleep, and then sleep 'till Noon, which would be a "normal" amount of sleep, I feel absolutely horrid.

I've asked around various docs and stuff and no one has an answer to that.  It's such a bummer.