Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Depression still a problem with a slow taper!

[st...]

I have been slowly tapering off Klonopin since March 1st, before that tried to quick twice cold turkey -- bad idea, then cut back 25% per MD's suggestion and had lots of anxiety and depression.  Now I'm about 6 days out from when I started my 5% taper and have some physical WS symptoms tightness across my face and Lt arm pain and tingling in my fingers but the anxiety and restlessness and loss of appetite is almost non-existent but I do feel tired and depressed.  Is this normal?  I'm still taking 15mg of Remeron for depression but I never had major depression in my life just the blues that came and went and were very infrequent.  Now I'm wondering if the depression is here to stay or if the fog will lift.  It always seems too but when your in the fog it is very hard to think you'll ever get through it.  Any suggestions?

step,

Klonopin gave me serious depression. It started within a week or two of my klonopin start. As I started tapering, it began to lift. When I was done, the depression was gone!   

I too am tapering slower than you and I have Horrendous depression!

Worse than anything I can even explain without scaring my family.

It is one of the many w/d symptoms of the benzo beast.

My recommendation is try to do things just for you.  Exercise, even if it is a stroll around the block a couple times a day.  If it's sunny where you live, soak up some vitamin d (sun).

Maybe try positive affirmations as well.  I know this is all easier said than done.

:smitten:

Traycee 

tightness across the face is a symptom of mine during my taper and still have it 2 months out.  The depression was the most temporary symptom. It would come in waves and subside.

For me, the mental symptoms healed rapidly as I got lower in my dose. Depression was gone 2 weeks benzo free. I had anxiety pre benzo so I have to learn to with it.

well it is pretty darn sunny and I'm not as vertigo-ish at the moment so maybe I'll go look at the plants.  As always thanks for the exercise encouragment.

I have been slowly tapering off Klonopin since March 1st, before that tried to quick twice cold turkey -- bad idea, then cut back 25% per MD's suggestion and had lots of anxiety and depression.  Now I'm about 6 days out from when I started my 5% taper and have some physical WS symptoms tightness across my face and Lt arm pain and tingling in my fingers but the anxiety and restlessness and loss of appetite is almost non-existent but I do feel tired and depressed.  Is this normal?  I'm still taking 15mg of Remeron for depression but I never had major depression in my life just the blues that came and went and were very infrequent.  Now I'm wondering if the depression is here to stay or if the fog will lift.   It always seems too but when your in the fog it is very hard to think you'll ever get through it.  Any suggestions?

Hey stepbystep,

i was just browsing trough the depression forum (in extreme depression, feeling hopeless) to find some encouragement and help. Reading your post made me realize that im surely not the only one going through these symptoms/hard times. I started my xanax taper about 3 weeks ago from 2.25mg. Now 2mg and feeling horrible. Have to go lay down,,,... write more later.

Ok, another try. Was trying to say that i find my self in somewhat similar situation with symptoms. First 2 weeks bad anxiety but very little depression, now very bad depression not so much anxiety. Today is the first day i feel tingling in my fingers. Also have flu-like symptoms, numb arms, weakness, depersonalization, disoriented, exhaustion... Just trying to make it minute by minute.

I'm on a low dose of zoloft (25mg) but i have never really felt ssri's help me. I have the exact same thoughts about depression as u do: is this normal, will this pass (and if, when).

Hope u find some relief in finding others that struggle the similar symptoms.

My blog: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=18293.0

I think I have gotten through another step down and this time with fewer withdrawal symptoms all round.  I start my step downs on Mondays that usually mean that the WS start to hit me about Fri/Sat (given the half-life of klonopin and my metabolism).  I made it through the weekend suffering from only some fatigue and irritability.  I had a little sadness but nothing I would classify as depression.  Still had the tightness across the face feeling and a small amount of chest and arm pain.  But overall I'm very thankful for how much easier it was this time around.  I hope it continues to get easier for me and I hope it gets easier for everyone else who is trying to get off these benzos.  For me so far I think a 5% taper a week has been quite manageable.  I am tempted to try 7.5% or even 10% after the good results from this past weekend but maybe that would be pushing it.

I think I have gotten through another step down and this time with fewer withdrawal symptoms all round.  I start my step downs on Mondays that usually mean that the WS start to hit me about Fri/Sat (given the half-life of klonopin and my metabolism).  I made it through the weekend suffering from only some fatigue and irritability.  I had a little sadness but nothing I would classify as depression.  Still had the tightness across the face feeling and a small amount of chest and arm pain.  But overall I'm very thankful for how much easier it was this time around.  I hope it continues to get easier for me and I hope it gets easier for everyone else who is trying to get off this benzos.  For me so far I think a 5% taper a week has been quite manageable.  I am tempted to try 7.5% or even 10% after the good results from this past weekend but maybe that would be pushing it.

:thumbsup:

Stepby....

Glad to hear your 5% was ok.

Many people do really well cutting that amount and some can cut more.  If things were tolerable then I would stick with that :).

Many times I have wanted to step it up so to speak and I see lots of people do that and get bit in the bum.  It's your taper and I wish you luck!

Traycee

Thanks Traycee,  Yesterday I started to feel a little anxious again and slightly depressed.  I think that if anything I might be going too fast now stepping down 5% every week.  I'm going to keep on though and slow down if I feel I really need to.  Right now the anxiety and depression are quite tolerable and I am as ever thankful for the arm pain, chest pain and tingling fingers that let me know that the psych WS are not all in my head.  Well they are in a sense but more related to WS not just my normal reaction to life's stresses.

G-man,

wow big cuts and with minimal w/d symptoms

I feel better now that I am holding each cut of .125mg for two to three weeks.  During this amount of a cut each week was discouraging.  I think it was Beeper or TC who suggested going slower.  Now I can exercise which is very important!

I take L-trypothan each night and it helps.  Inderal seems to help with weird tremors.  Well these are my two cents.

Mary

I'm having more bad days than good days now and I'm wondering if I'm going too fast.  :-\ I'm having trouble with anxiety/restlessness/fatigue/poor appetite and depression.  Right now it seems to be worse earlier in the day and lessen as the day goes on.  I'm thankful that thus far I've not had trouble sleeping and can still function at work.  I'm taking 15 mg of Remeron which I kind of doubt is making much of a difference.  It might be helping with the sleep.  It isn't making me much happier.  It is good to know, however, that others have struggled with this as well.  I am very thankful for all my benzo buddies.  Darrin

• 4 weeks later...

wow, you are doing really well and going at a pretty good speed. 

There is no right answer if you are going to fast or too slow...you are the only judge.  some people do slower tapers and some fast.....point being it looks like you are doing really well considering.  Worst case you could hold a little longer between cuts to see if your body will catch up.  there is no guarantee but it's not going to hurt you either.

Stay strong Darrin :)

Listen to your body.  I always sing willie nelson "gotta know when to hold um...fold um..and such  :smitten:

Tracyee