Important Survey - Please Participate ×

A question for anyone who has experienced depression

[Ho...]

If you experienced depression, either during your taper or after your last dose, when was it at its worst?

I've been trying to read people's experiences on different benzo forums, but it's hard to find a general period when people experienced depression at its worst.

To be more specific, was it at it's worst when you first started tappering? In the middle of your taper? Towards the end of it? Or within the weeks following your last dose?...Or for some, did you have it the whole way through or just waves of it?

I have suffered with depression since long before benzos. I have noticed that my "lows" seem to be lower now than they were before. However, I am getting better at spotting when I feel a low mood coming on and heading it off in a natural way. I couldn't do that when on klonocrap..... so I would get depressed and not be able to think of what to do to get out of it.

I had depression about 3 or 4 months off but it would only last for an hour or two then go away. Only lasted a couple weeks and was gone. Doctor wrote me a prec for celexa...I tore it up knew it would pass and it did.

M

If you experienced depression, either during your taper or after your last dose, when was it at its worst?

I've been trying to read people's experiences on different benzo forums, but it's hard to find a general period when people experienced depression at its worst.

To be more specific, was it at it's worst when you first started tappering? In the middle of your taper? Towards the end of it? Or within the weeks following your last dose?...Or for some, did you have it the whole way through or just waves of it?

I'm like Roberta and the main reason I wanted off benzos was because of chronic depression.  So for me, the depression lessened about mid-way through my taper.  Of course, I had also been put on an A/D before I started tapering so that may have been the reason for the improvement.

when my symptoms were at a all time high, my depression followed suit. I didn't understand the depression because I never had it before.

Even during my battle with lyme disease and my heart would not beat correctly, I didn't have depression.

I guess for me it was part of the symptom package when I was trying to stabilize after a big cut.

I had waves of depression the whole way through my taper, but found the waves less intense as I got to the lower doses.  Unlike Gman, I could have a wave of other symptoms and no depression, or I could have a wave of just total depression. 

Waves of "blues" for me.  Are those blue waves? :laugh:  Well, anxiety was usually the worst after each cut and then I think by the 8th or 9th day of the cut, it would switch to blues probably from exhaustion of being revved up so much.  Then I'd cut again and the cycle would repeat.  As the taper got below 1mg of valium, it was a mixed bag, hard to tell what was some "normal" holiday blues vs being off benzos. Should have planned to finish the taper in the Spring :tickedoff:  Now its 2 months off and I truly believe its too soon to know how things will pan out.  Each day seems a little clearer, memory and cog fog clearing but anxiety still shows up without being invited, insomnia here and there... and that sometimes leads to some down thoughts and days!

Vertigo (no more)

wish I could say "blues and anxiety no more"  ;)

Depression for me probably began with Ambien use.......but never realized that.  Then.......when taking Ativan the past year......think it made depression worse.......so believe the drugs have it as a side effect.......not just when tapering.  After I did two too fast tapers.......depression got worse.......and even in reinstatement has been bad.  However......my own personal circumstances have caused depression.......so feel it's just been a double whammy.  There is no doubt in my mind the drugs have made it worse.  Still looking for coping techniques........

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

When your spouse tells you he may of made a mistake and says that on your anniversary... then you can feel depressed :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

no really I felt worse right after detox from xanax and whatever over 4 klnopin I was on (had to adjust dose to 6mg) due to being unable to get to bathroom on my own.

I cry everyday and I am having negative thoughts about being a burden and so I will ask for an antidepressant (which I know not everyone agrees with) so again, I guess when you first start you feel the worse, I'm sure someone with more experience will respond to your question.

keep on going

Mary

I had waves of depression the whole way through my taper, but found the waves less intense as I got to the lower doses.  Unlike Gman, I could have a wave of other symptoms and no depression, or I could have a wave of just total depression. 

I am now on 25mg of Zoloft and I have not started yet; supposedly Inderal and Antidepressant are the two things which help.  So I will give this a try.  Feel better...lots of good people here to support you :smitten:

like I shared on another post - depression is ugly and be careful with what you read.  I have had "suicidal" (is that an okay word to use?) depression before and had to be put in hospital.  This is not the same as feeling down.

Please be careful.  Again in my personal view don't wait until it is too late.  Keep your p/doc informed.  Yes your brain is healing but serious depression is serious.

Mary and her two cents

• 1 month later...

Almost five months off.  Anxiety is waning.  Depression is waxing.  I'm thinking the CNS is all over the place as healing gradually comes.  More so than depressed, I'm very tired and get sleepy in the afternoon.  Fortunately anxiety is less a problem so sleep at night is improved.  I'm not really sure if part of this is recovery from Shingles three months ago but my CNS is still recovering from benzo use and prolonged stress on the CNS possibly from both end of taper and getting Shingles (which I believe is benzo related).  I've thought about whether trying something like SJW might help or maybe the 5HTP to get serotonin up a bit, but so far I'm gonna give it some more time to heal without adding anything.  Kind of glad that anxiety is down and would like to keep it that way :thumbsup:

Hi:

I have a history of chronic depression but it was the absolute worst for the first months after I finished my taper.  Was so glad when my brain healed enough so I was just "normally depressed."

ntw