Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Has anyone lifted themselves out of depression?

[...]

Hi,

In August I was having sleep issues and some anxiety - might have been due to life changes as my oldest was heading to college or/and perimenopause.  I got started started on xanax and I became worse with higher anxiety, etc.  I just thought the xanax was for sleep at the time.

Anyway, I'm almost done weaning off (2 days), but I still have high anxiety and major depression which I can't seem to shake?

I just don't know if it's the benzo withdrawal, life changes, perimenopause, or all 3 combined. - A perfect storm for me.

My question is, how much time should I give it before maybe starting an Anti-depressant?  I just can't seem to get myself out of this.  Has anyone ever gotten themselves out of a depression/anxiety that's lasted awhile without help??  I'm trying, but I just can't get there and I'm finding it very hard to cope.

Thanks,

-misa

I'm sorry, misa, but I wasn't able to do it without an anti-depressant.  Mine started way before menopause but those hormonal changes sure didn't help when they did come.  A/D's are a mixed bag but they do help a lot of people.  That being said, I was a lot less depressed after I got off lorazepam.  One of the side effects of benzos is depression so you may find yours lifting some time after you are off, little by little.  

Thanks Roberta for trying to post a response.  I hope to hear what you have to say soon!

And Beeper,

Thank you as always!  I've never been on a A/D or ever felt depressed like this my whole life. - Yes, I've been very fortunate and really feel for people who suffer!  It's horrible!

I've read that one of the side effects is depression, so my heart does say to try to wait it out a bit and see how it goes.  I'm 2 days away from being off, but feel it may take some time!  I think if I can do it, I should wait it out!  Like I said before, I've got other things going on too that I've never had before, so I don't really know.  Don't we wish we could rewind the clock and never have taken these, then we could know for sure!

I was just curious if anyone had similar circumstances.

Thanks

-misa

me I suffer depression and anxiety due to chronic illness. then I began to wonder if some early am insomnia and anxiety part of menopause- my gyn put me back on the pill will see if it levels out. I thought I was going crazy. I could feel anxiety and felt like it was almost chemical coming over me> Vicky

I go to therapy- have not been since Christmas need to get back there.

There is nothing like the depression caused by benzos (having had postnatal depression in the past I recovered from)!  I have had horrendous depression in waves throughout this journey, but it is finally evening out now.  It will go eventually, but may take a while - go as long as you can and hope you manage to get out the other side, but if gets bad do get help - theres no shame in that and for some of us its a lifesaver

Spring

My depression was caused by benzos and the horrendous torture they put me through.  I was convinced I was never going to recover, and that is very depressing in itself.  I never felt depression like the benzos caused.

During this time I was given ADs for anxiety and depression caused by the benzos.  They made my life even worse.  I recommend staying away from them if you can.  Some people do well on them, others it makes no difference, and for others (like me) they are very neurotoxic.  Not a gamble you want to take unless you're very desperate.

Thanks Roberta for trying to post a response.  I hope to hear what you have to say soon!

And Beeper,

Thank you as always!  I've never been on a A/D or ever felt depressed like this my whole life. - Yes, I've been very fortunate and really feel for people who suffer!  It's horrible!

I've read that one of the side effects is depression, so my heart does say to try to wait it out a bit and see how it goes.  I'm 2 days away from being off, but feel it may take some time!  I think if I can do it, I should wait it out!  Like I said before, I've got other things going on too that I've never had before, so I don't really know.   Don't we wish we could rewind the clock and never have taken these, then we could know for sure!

I was just curious if anyone had similar circumstances.

Thanks

-misa

Hey misa,

I had depression on and off my whole life, but none of it compared to benzo depression.  Benzo depression for me was a deep dark place with no light in sight, totally something I was unable to lift myself out of.  All I could do, even ON Zoloft, was cry and know from my buddies that tomorrow could be the brighter day that would be coming for me.  At times I still have depression, but mine is no longer benzo.  I know alot of what I have is now hormonal or situational.  It's not as much of a hauntingly hopeless feeling.  It's really hard to describe the difference, but if you've not been a depressed person and can handle this like you would another symptom, I'd try to ride it out.  If you are one of the fortunate who can, be good to yourself during those dark times and get plenty of rest. 

If it gets too bad, do consider one though.  They do have a time and place when needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Does crying every day be a sign of depression? because I will soon flood the world  ;)

I have been clinically depressed. before.

In my OPINION lifting out of depression takes a variety of resources.  A pdoc; a therapist; and an online support group.  Pulling yourself up by your boots may work depending on the severity of the depression.  Please don't wait until you fall into the black hole. Once you get wacky thoughts in your head it becomes harder to understand why your wacky thoughts are irrational

Mary

Hi Misa, the only thing that has worked for me is to MAKE myself get out of bed every morning and DO something that helps me re-join life. Exercise seems to really help me. It did make my physical symptoms flare a bit but I always felt that keeping my mood/spirit up was more important then feeling like I might drop dead physically :D.....so I have always just pressed on even when I couldn't breath right or my nerves burnt all over my body or my vision was spotty. I also just try to do things that cause a good memory or mood and or good anxiety like the excited anxiety kind of event. I call this "purposeful stress" it really does seem to work. Even if in the beginning you can only get a little "lift" for a few  minutes at a time I think it helps the brain remember just how it is supposed to react. Keep going and your body and mind eventually remember and begin to operate together and in the way you want.

Take Care it does get better, WW :smitten:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I am not Misa but I do need to rejoin the world, I will get up, shower even if I feel like I am on a boat, and do something even a small something.  When my spouse gets home I will ask about going to the YMCA --or at least walk around the block this  would be more realistic.  Exercise helps with mild depression or fitting down and so I will try it.

Mary 1331 :)