Important Survey - Please Participate ×

seroquel

[vi...]

they gave me low dose well now at 100mg seroquel to sleep and for anxiety. I am having horriffic back pain on seroquel. Md says no = I say yes I know my body

Anyone else have any seroquel experiences- oh yes wt gain 10 lbs so far after losing 40

Vicky

they gave me low dose well now at 100mg seroquel to sleep and for anxiety. I am having horriffic back pain on seroquel. Md says no = I say yes I know my body

Anyone else have any seroquel experiences- oh yes wt gain 10 lbs so far after losing 40

Vicky

I took the same amount as you for a few months, also for insomnia. I was on klonopin at the same time. I actually lost about 20 lbs! Probably because of the klon. Didn't really have any negative side effects, except for morning grogginess. Oh, and massive night sweats! Especially in the beginning.

If you are having negative side effects, it sounds like it might not be worth it for you.

I took a lower dose, 50mg, even 25mg, toward the end, and that was actually almost as effective for me as the 100mg. Maybe you could discuss lowering your dose with your doctor.   

Vicky

Vicky, I didn't get any pains on seroquel but I did gain a lot of weight; even got type 2 diabetes while on it.  That is one of the risk factors the doc failed to mention.

• 2 weeks later...

just went through serious adverse effects on seroquel. they filed report with astra zenaca and fda. sleep md said he knew of these effects but not on my low dose of 100mg. I had terrible calf cramping, back pain 8.10. Muscle rigidness and muscle tremors of arms and legs. Then came the massive sweating followed by chilling and fever- 4 days worth even after going to prompt care. oh had huge rash on my back

I am on seroquel and will never take it again.  gained 12lbs in 4weeks.

thing is first pill ever that I tolerated it helped me insomnia and anxiety. now insomnia back....... anxiety will follow. had to take ultram for terrible muscle pains and joint aches.

I filed report with company asking they pay me back my copay of 146.00 for the pills- will see pending review.

Still sweating though no seroquel since THursday= had to take bendaryl to get rid of chills and sweating was terrible. Vicky.

had a car accident and hurt my back which was also recovering from a slipped disc and a little while later they put me on Seroquel at 25mg to be increased to 50mg. After a very short while I had to crawl out of bed in the morning as the back stiffness and pain was so bad so they took me off of  it and back on Nitrazepam 20mg.

I tink over here that is the reccomended dose and 100mg is quite a severe dose considering we are dealing with an antipsychotic nuroleptic drug. Thats the starting dose for someone with bipolar or Schizophrenia of which seroquel was aimed is primarily targeted for. If you google antipsychotics you will see the list of possible side effects or they should be with your medicine and include all the symptoms you describe with terminology I cant remember to write down here. Unfortunately Seroquel is not very selective and messes about with many different neurons in the brain and causes these symptoms such as shaking, involuntary jerks, rash etc. A Psychiatrist is supposed to weigh up the need with the side efffects and decide if it is worth the risk. This of course it is for Bipolar and Schizophrenics and for nothing else.

I hope you feel better. The symptoms should be transient and will be gone fairly quickly

seroquel is a very nasty drug from everything I've read on it.

I took it for just a few days--I never knew I could eat so much.  It gave me a ravenous appetite I've never experienced before or since.

It is notorious for causing type II diabetes.  I don't know if that's from the massive overeating it can cause, or something else it does to your body.

I recommend avoiding it if you can.  In the long run it becomes another drug you'll have to taper, and the rebound insomnia it creates can be brutal.

• 5 months later...
I have nothing good to say about Seroquel.  I was unstable and miserable on it.  I only took between 12 25 mgs to sleep.  I thought it was horrible.  It made me break out too.  Of course the doc denied that part.  I think it is one nasty drug.  Most days I felt like a zombie and some days would just lay in bed and cry.

• 4 months later...
Awww man I jus left the hospital n they gave me seroquel n trazadone.. I am a complete mess from this taper n they assured me these drugs would help.. After reading this I'm scared to take them

i was also prescribed seroquel recently for sleep.  i went to the ER on a sat. because of the intensity of my symptoms and inability to sleep.  i went to a motel that night with my mom (so glad she was with me) and i started to hallucinate.  i took the seroquel hoping it would put me to sleep and end the scariness.  it did not help me sleep but it did stop the hallucinatory experience.  i didn't take anymore.  decided to endure the insomnia without meds.  still struggling but still very proud of myself for getting off the stuff and being 16 days clean.  oh, and, yes, the pharmacist warned me about the weight gain issue.  so sorry about your experience.  hang in there.  it will, indeed, get better.  :thumbsup:

I was prescribed Seroquel, too, early on. It did help me sleep, but it gave me the worst derealization and anxiety ever.

Thing is, I'd been on it before, at a higher dosage, also for sleep--but before I got on a benzo. In fact, it was what I was trying to get my doctor to put me back on when he prescribed the Klonopin. At that time, I'd have (what I now know are very weak) panic attacks at night when I couldn't get to sleep. My plan was just that, if I could get put back on the Seroquel, I'd fall asleep without even trying.

Years ago my first psychiatrist put me on seroquel in addition to an antidepressant because he said I had "depression w/psychotic features".  I took a full pill (can't remember the dosage) the first night and slept for a long time. 

After that I only took it a few times off and on, and only tiny pieces of the pill (maybe 1/4).  They worked like knockout drops on me!

My later doc said I didn't need that med anymore, and I agreed.  One thing I noticed was that if I took the piece of seroquel and attempted to stay awake, I got severe derealization and felt very strange.  Very drowsy but also strangely anxious.

I am currently tapering off seroquel down from 150mg to 75mg my pdoc says take it slow which I find strange when they are not addictive, wish they were as concerned when they took me off ativan. Anyway I have had no problems with this drug I really think it did help with depression in the first month of c/t but would never have agreed to take it if I knew that what I was experiencing at the time was withdrawal, I have been told that below 100mgs it acts just like an antihistamine, While on this med you should be given blood test every 6 months to check liver function.

I also took it a couple of years ago for sleep. It made me feel like my head had been smacked with a brick. I sweated through my sheets and would wake up to go to the bathroom, stand up amd have my legs give out on me and crash to the floor.

Shan72,

i believe that i started to hallucinate simply because of the withdrawal.  although lack of sleep could have contributed.  but my whole body felt terrible and i had a metallic taste in my mouth.  everything was distorted.  felt like i had gotten hold of some dirty acid and was also having a bad trip on it.  needless to say, i was glad the seroquel stopped it because it was getting pretty scary and i could not seem to get in control of what was happening.  that was the worst of my withdrawal.  that occurred 5 days after my last dose of valium.  i tapered from 7mg, 1mg every 2days.  it was intense.  but since then things have steadily improved and i am now 17 days clean.  i got more sleep than i have in a month or so last night.  i am using the Sleep Tracks program and i think it is helping.  i listened to the power nap track today and i actually fell asleep within 15 min.!!!  i was so surprised.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've had a pretty good experience with Seroquel. I was using Trazodone for sleep which also worked fine, but my doctor thought going to the Seroquel might help the anxiety and depression as well.

At 100mg and lower it just works as an anti-histamine and makes you drowsy (well, there are always exceptions). My doctor wanted me to ramp up from 50 to 150mg (this is the minimum dose for it to work as an aid to another anti-depressant) but I started at 50, felt better and did my first valium taper in a while and stayed at 50 for a couple weeks as I was feeling better and felt no withdrawal from the taper.

Then I hit a rough few days so I upped it to 100mg. Looking back I probably didn't need to as it was probably delayed withdrawal from my taper. I been researching it obsessively as I was worried about those potential scary side affects and my belief is those will only occur at doses of 150mg and above.

It is not really and antipsychotic until you get into the higher ranges. Typical ranges for Bi-Polar and other psychotic illness are from 300mg to 800mg.

I'm starting to think the antihistamine was the problem--as I got similar problems with Benedryl, and when I upped my Celexa (which has slight antihistamine features). It would make sleepy, but also create a very disconnected feeling that was quite scary. And I would feel drugged out until close to the next dose.

• 2 months later...