ANYONE have CONSTANT EXISTENTIAL thoughts?

[13...]

In my opinion, these existential thoughts are a normal part of aging.

Yes part of that is true but not to this extent and some of the younger people have them.

The world couldn’t go on if everyone thought like this all day and night.

Correct and very insightful. Maybe getting "sick" at least in benzo terms reminds us that we are mortal. I struggle with this too even though I am healed.

I struggled with it before so I imagine it’s worse now. I hope you feel better.

I had a terrible accident a few years ago where I thought I was on the precipice. It was a lonely feeling. When the memories come back I try to shake them off. Thinking about sex helps. But it can be an unsettling thought, about the moment of death. You are not alone in being creeped out by this.

Wow keagan, that sounds scary. Glad youre ok. That’s exactly what it’s like...obsessing on the moment. Very unsettling to say the least. Good you have a way to distract.  ;)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [of...]

• [He...]

• [Ho...]

• [Wo...]

[b3...]

Healing to you ruby. Good job on your recovery from all this  :thumbsup:

offandon, thanks for the ray of sunshine! Sending a warm hug and sincere wishes for your healing.  :smitten:

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

I have also been having these thoughts in the last couple weeks (existential thoughts, death, obsessing about age. Only 34 yrs old.  I've been 3 months off from a rapid 0.5 Clonopin taper.  These thoughts are really disturbing.

Hey Guys,

I have also been having these thoughts in the last couple weeks (existential thoughts, death, obsessing about age. Only 34 yrs old.  I've been 3 months off from a rapid 0.5 Clonopin taper.  These thoughts are really disturbing.

I can relate to all, also obsessing about age (I'm too 34 yrs old),

do you have the "trapped in this world" feeling? "feels weird to exist and being human" ?

This was really bad for me in the early withdrawal.

Hi Camela,

Yes I do have the "trap feeling as well".  I used to be passionate about life and my career but now I question everything.  Even what I do and should do for living.  How long have you been off and how much were u taking?

I went off 20 mg of Valium in less than 4 months and hit the wall at 10mg.  So I'm not as low as you guys are on your taper so I may be full of POO with how I'm dealing with my thinking at the stage I'm in it's helping but I heard it's much worse when you are down to the lower doses.

But here is how I'm trying to deal with it.  I listen to Scripture when I'm not severely nervous.  When I am, I cannot listen to it at all.  Moving on......I try to visualize good memories and go there as if I am there and sense the feeling I had when I was there and pretend I am there.  I also think about positive things EVEN IF I HAVE TO MAKE IT UP, especially when I am trying to sleep (which is near impossible most times). 

When they hypnotize you, that's exactly what they do, they invent some image or place of pleasure where you go in your psyche which eases the tension in your body.  It does work, HOWEVER, you have to really give it time to do it by Breathing in through your nose with your belly, breathe out with mouth opened slow and long and hold for 7 seconds.  Relax while you are breathing out. 

If a bad or negative thought comes into your mind CHANGE THE CHANNEL to something good that you remember OR INVENT something good, lovely, something you enjoyed at sometime in your life.  Take CONTROL over what thoughts come into your MIND.

Remember, your MIND is not part of your BRAIN, although it will control your Brain.  Your Mind is your Psyche, your SPIRIT/Soul.  So you can control it which in turn will affect the health of your Brain which controls the health of your body.  Stress and anxiety causes Oxidative stress which harms our bodies.  So the more you control what comes into your MIND will affect your body.  So TAKE CONTROL of the wheel of your MIND over what you ALLOW to enter it.

I know it's hard, but practice will exercise those control muscles and make you stronger as a result.  When in the midst of the Storm is when it is the hardest but it's what will make you the strongest.  You can do it!  FIGHT and you will WIN!

I PRAY and I visualize being in the New Heaven and NEW Earth as it says in Revelation 21.  I also visualize I am in tropical places we used to travel to, I remember the warmth on my face and put myself there as IF I am there in person again!  Things like that.......while you are in that STORM, take yourself out of it...Change that channel and visualize the pleasurable things.  It will work if you work hard at it.

Look up Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Mindfulness on the Internet......they teach all this there.  Hope this helps.

I PRAY and I visualize being in the New Heaven and NEW Earth as it says in Revelation 21.

That sounds like a wonderful idea Hope, actually brought tears to my eyes

Hi Camela,

Yes I do have the "trap feeling as well".  I used to be passionate about life and my career but now I question everything.  Even what I do and should do for living.  How long have you been off and how much were u taking?

I was taking 2-3mg xanax for about 7 years, also this is my second benzo withdrawal and I had to go CT due to paradoxical reactions/tolerance. I came to a point where I could no longer take the xanax and do a proper taper.

I'm 2 years off soon.

How long have you been off benzos?

Awwww Byrjun,

It does help me for sure, seeing all those colors and animals talking to me, dangerous animals at peace, no fear, no violence, just peace and love.  I see waterfalls and rainbows, colors, green grass, tall and no bugs lol.  I see angels walking around smiling, peaceful, I hear beautiful music, and ponds of clear water I can wade in, etc.  It helps for sure.

Hi Camela,

I was taking 2-3mg xanax for about 7 years, also this is my second benzo withdrawal and I had to go CT due to paradoxical reactions/tolerance. I came to a point where I could no longer take the xanax and do a proper taper.

I'm 2 years off soon.

How long have you been off benzos?

You have come a long way and hope things get back to 100% normal for you soon.  It's my second time trying to come off too and failed the first one.  I've been Clonopin 3.5 months now

I'm 10 months out from a horrific c/t w/d.

I constantly (like ALL day) contemplate life, my existence, my death, generations that have been before. I was always inquisitive and I sort of delighted in reading about ancient civilizations but now it is a nightmare. How the hell can "thinking" these insane things be withdrawal? These thoughts make me shake and consume me with fear. I just want to go to target or some store and just "be" without looking at every single person and imaging their death, etc.

Can anyone relate?

My worse symptoms have been mental anguish/anxiety/Dp & Dr. 

I did have intense burning anxiety bodily sensations that were out of this world.

Yes, I can relate. I don't think about the past so much as trying to clear my mind of all the noise. I feel the need to find answers beyond all the clamor and insanity. I'm obsessed with ideas of infinity, insanity and trust. I've always been interested in thought systems and introspective ideas etc. But with the Benzos, it's an obsessive and deeply disturbing experience. It's about indecision and turmoil. No doubt, my version of the "intrusive thoughts" ordeal.  Never subsides until I can fall asleep or meditation - but it's so difficult to focus. 

I'm 10 months out from a horrific c/t w/d.

I constantly (like ALL day) contemplate life, my existence, my death, generations that have been before. I was always inquisitive and I sort of delighted in reading about ancient civilizations but now it is a nightmare. How the hell can "thinking" these insane things be withdrawal? These thoughts make me shake and consume me with fear. I just want to go to target or some store and just "be" without looking at every single person and imaging their death, etc.

Can anyone relate?

My worse symptoms have been mental anguish/anxiety/Dp & Dr. 

I did have intense burning anxiety bodily sensations that were out of this world.

I can relate to all of this

…. These thoughts in their extremity will go

This is one of the most isolating conditions in the world

shania

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I can relate to all, also obsessing about age (I'm too 34 yrs old),

do you have the "trapped in this world" feeling? "feels weird to exist and being human" ?

This was really bad for me in the early withdrawal.

Yes! I have this. Thinking about being alive freaks me TF out.

I have existential depression, like a "bad trip". I describe it like feeling the entire suffering of all mankind. Every bad thing that has ever happened to anyone, since the dawn of time. It's hard to deal with as you can look around and see all the bad, but you have to go looking for the good. I implore you to look for the good, or the bad will over run you.

• 2 months later...