Chiropractors??

[So...]

I'm a big fan of chiro work for specific kinds of back and neck issues.

It's not a cure-all panacea, and be careful of chiros who claim to be able to fix things that aren't back/neck issues.

Yep, that's pretty-much my view too. There is undeniable therapeutic benefits* associated with chiropractic manipulations (when done properly), but there is also a lot of unscientific hogwash. In particular, subluxation. It seems that some (or many) chiropractors also get into other mystical stuff.

* Some of this might be the result of placebo, but it is still of benefit. You see, there can be therapeutic benefit even when nothing substantive occurs. Therapy is about 'feeling' better, and sometimes that might come from the interaction (and contact) with another human being, nothing more. This does not mean I do not think it is of no value (even if placebo). Placebo should not be underrated or dismissed as useless.

My relevant person experience is that I am currently working with a doctor of chiropractic who is also a functional medicine practitioner.  She is treating me for Graves Disease (an autoimmune thyroid condition).  My symptoms are steadily improving, including my heart rate, which I was most concerned about.  Her goal is to determine the root cause of my condition and resolve it.  My chiropractor is using diet, herbs, and supplements to control my symptoms and work toward remission.  It is a much more acceptable approach to me than taking a medication to destroy my thyroid, because the real problem is not my thyroid, it is an immune system problem.  She checks my thyroid lab work on a regular basis, which is within the scope of practice for a chiropractor.

PD

Yes, chiropractors are helpful, especially if they're also savvy on natural medicine and nutrition.

I'm all for so called alternative therapies, so also check for a good herbalist in combination with the chiropractor.

Chiropractors are highly educated, knowledgeable professionals.  They are capable of helping people with a wide range of health issues; they just don't use drugs to cover up symptoms like medical doctors. 

[

They would use drugs just like regular doctors do but they are not qualified or licensed to prescribe meds or do much of anything for that matter other than mostly useless "treatments" and also dangerous useless "treatments" such as neck twisting.

I agree Eric as I said previously "not a fan"  I am a Natural Therapist who's speciality is body work.  (hence my previous niavity  to benzos)  I was trained at college/university by holistic Osteopaths.  Drugs are only prescribed under life saving circumstances.  They dont even prescribe anti-inflammatories. We were educated with practitioner grade Vitamin C and so forth, another speciality field which is far more effective when used properly.

I'm a fan of natural, such as eating properly, supplements used correctly, relaxation, massage, yoga, and so on. Anything that is natural that promotes health and well being and helps prevent disease and sickness. I'm not a fan of quackery, though. I am a retired health care professional so I know about sickness and disease all too well. Anything natural that helps prevent it, I'm a fan of it, other than quackery which hurts people.

Maybe you do know about sickness and disease as you say but the question would be how much you know about health.

Quackwatch really? Maybe you could do a quackwatch on quackwatch aka Stephen Barrett retired psychiatrist.

I go to a kinesiologist who does acupressure. He is great and has helped me a lot with the whole head pressure thing...he was on vacation last week. I can't wait to see him on Friday!  :)

I just thought it might be dangerous if you have osteoporosis with the spinal manipulation that they do, that they might fracture a bone.

Mama

I just thought it might be dangerous if you have osteoporosis with the spinal manipulation that they do, that they might fracture a bone.

Mama

My physical therapist advised me against chiropractic because I have some osteoporosis.  Her fear was that it could cause some hair line fractures of the vertebrae.  Knock wood, I haven't had any fractures yet and do a lot of weight bearing exercise to help build my bone density.

pianogirl

Thanks, PG.  That was my concern.  Good to know.

I really need to start exercising.  I have not moved very much for over a year.

Mama

Chiropractors are highly educated, knowledgeable professionals.  They are capable of helping people with a wide range of health issues; they just don't use drugs to cover up symptoms like medical doctors. 

[

They would use drugs just like regular doctors do but they are not qualified or licensed to prescribe meds or do much of anything for that matter other than mostly useless "treatments" and also dangerous useless "treatments" such as neck twisting.

I agree Eric as I said previously "not a fan"  I am a Natural Therapist who's speciality is body work.  (hence my previous niavity  to benzos)  I was trained at college/university by holistic Osteopaths.  Drugs are only prescribed under life saving circumstances.  They dont even prescribe anti-inflammatories. We were educated with practitioner grade Vitamin C and so forth, another speciality field which is far more effective when used properly.

I'm a fan of natural, such as eating properly, supplements used correctly, relaxation, massage, yoga, and so on. Anything that is natural that promotes health and well being and helps prevent disease and sickness. I'm not a fan of quackery, though. I am a retired health care professional so I know about sickness and disease all too well. Anything natural that helps prevent it, I'm a fan of it, other than quackery which hurts people.

Maybe you do know about sickness and disease as you say but the question would be how much you know about health.

Quackwatch really? Maybe you could do a quackwatch on quackwatch aka Stephen Barrett retired psychiatrist.

Exactly!  I would not let Quackwatch tell me which therapies are valid and which are not. 

Chiropractic, like gravity, works whether you believe it or not.  Sid E. Williams D.C.

Hi,

Quackwatch and Stephen Barret have been the victims of deliberate disinformation about what they do and why. If you think about it, it is not hard to understand why this would occur and those behind such slurs. Quackwatch is a very valuable resource.

I suggest reading the Wikipedia entry about Quackwatch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quackwatch

[b3...]

I have had very good success with my chiropractor.  Most of the work I've had done has been for a disc in my lower back.  The problem got a lot better when I lost a bunch of weight to relieve the pressure.

Recently, I purchased an inversion table to take the place of the decompression table that the chiropractor was using on me.  Since losing the weight, I only have to use it when I do something 'stupid'.  When I've needed it, it's worked very well for me (and has saved me a nickel or two).