Does withdrawal make us hypochondriacs?

[os...]

Oscar

I appreciate your good wishes and thoughts.  I believe the trauma of w/d had something to do with triggering the disease, since severe trauma can be a triggering event.  However the fact is that Graves is an entirely separate autoimmune disease where the immune system starts attacking the thyroid thinking it's a foreign invader.

I have gone through  RAIU, TSH, T3 and T4 testing and a year of antithyroid treatement as a result of positively testing for elevated antibodies.  To suggest as you do that "I would be more inclined to think that withdrawal mimics Graves and that is why some doctors will make such a diagnosis." is not accurate, is a little naive and dismissive and I would suggest that you do some research before making such a statement.

WWWI

Wissues,

I am not implying misdiagnosis is always the case, you tested positive for this and there are always exceptions... I am sorry you have this going on also.

I think it was ihope that had a diagnosis also (can't recall what for now) but I believe I could acquire POTS, Graves or Hashimoto's from this taper... I worry about that but at the same time, like ihope said, these conditions reverse with healing in most cases.

I am sure yours will too when your body rights itself...

Nightmare isn't it?

As far as anything else goes... I put it all down to withdrawal now... all of it.

Hi Oscar,

This is a worthwhile thread. I was never an obsessed person in regard to my health. Perhaps that is b/c I have had a hard time in that arena all of my life. There are times when one might ask why so much could be handed to some of us while others appear to skate. HOWEVER...

Benzo w/d turned me into Jekyll and Hyde. On Monday I would be a frontrunner. All is good, I can do this, I will be ok. On Tuesday I had convinced myself that I was in liver failure and I have some rare skin disease b/c I am itchy. On Wednesday I convinced myself that b/c I had benzo belly I was likely in renal failure. It went on and on for the entire time I tapered from klonopin. At 6 months off and tapering from valium I am not doing that anymore. Paranoia still comes though. I think that co workers are talking about how sick I look or how bad my memory is. The thing about benzos is that they have the capacity to make you lose your marbles. When you think you have a handle on all of it they come up and spank you. Hard.