Important Survey - Please Participate ×

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

I have to say after reading many stories from others , I don't have it so bad! Makes me thankful I never took the higher dose prescribed, and or stacking other drugs ontop of the Xanax ! Seems like some doctors are way out of control , one gentlemen went from Xanax to 3 additional drugs and is really having a hard time. I'm in day 4 of my first cut, I feel as if I'm stabilizing with reasonable comfort. A little tinnitus here and there, minor aches and pains, along with the burning tingling skin sensations. I'm lucky I'm self employed, I'm just flat lucky I didn't get in deeper, I feel for those who are really feeling the pain from higher doses as lower dose withdrawl isint pleasant. One thing from reading all the horror stories is that the nightmare does end! And for those who are suffering, there is light at the end of the tunnel. thanks all for posting your stories ! Get well !

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I've been on Xanax twice a night for sleep since July last year. Started a taper but in tolerance and dealing with really nasty interdose and tolerance withdrawals. My psychiatrist (who is awesome and supports the Ashton manual and titration), said I should try taking 2 mg of Valium twice a day to try to make the interdose withdrawals less of an issue. Then when we are done tapering the Xanax, we will taper the Valium. We don't want to break up my doses of Xanax because when we tried to do that a few months ago, I couldnt tolerate it. We also don't want to add any more Xanax in during the day because it will be counter productive and just result in the same issue of interdose withdrawals down the road.

Has anyone done this before, used low doses of Valium to treat Xanax withdrawal symptoms?  We're also not looking to cross over. I just need to taper off the Xanax and remain functioning.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Candice!

Welcome to the boards!  Personally, I didn't use any valium.  I tapered directly from xanax.  But it sounds like a good plan.  It's good you have her support.  A lot of people don't get the support of their doctors, or they're tapered way too fast. 

You'll find a lot of great support here.  Lots of great people with many varied stories.  I imagine others will jump in soon.  You can see my taper schedule in my signature line.  If you have any question, feel free to ask!

Namaste.

~K    :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Stressed out. Doctor just sent certified mail for me to sign, acknowledging that he will no longer prescribe for, or treat me, from 30 days of the date on the letter, which is dated early February!! Today is March 12!!

There goes my slow, safe taper. I do have bottles of old alprazolam on hand, since I managed to save them back but not sure if they're still as potent. I will never find a doctor who's onboard with a slow microtaper.

Need to go count. So upset, can't type straight. What a jerk.

I had the same problem, i just told my doctor id stay on them, so i got a refill, more than enough to taper from my max dose, i got flak when i told the doctor i wanted off, figured i was on my own, in my case i thought it best to do whats right for me. So one last prescription will do it. Good luck !!

Glad that's working out for you, GuitarGuy. I'm a little in freak-mode.

Might have to get off the benzo in 4-5 months instead of 12.

VCharis, what dose are you on?  I tapered in 6 months from 2 mg and had a relatively easy time.  I still had symptoms, but not as bad as a lot of people. 

I'm sorry that happened to you, that really blows.

Namaste.

~K    :smitten:

What's the take away here, F the doctors , do your own thing, my doctor fully bought my story, I wasn't about to put myself into a forced c/t with no options . Tried ct myself and it wasn't pleasant . Bottom line is, you are all you have! Doctors prescribe this stuff without a clue the damage it does ...

I feel better than I have in 3 months. Increased energy, no symptoms yet *knock on wood*, no social anxiety. I may be experiencing a long window but if its an indication of what my future might be like - ITS GREAT!

VCharis, what dose are you on?  I tapered in 6 months from 2 mg and had a relatively easy time.  I still had symptoms, but not as bad as a lot of people. 

Namaste.

Thanks, Vangoghsear. Glad you managed your taper relatively easy during 6 months. I'd love to do the same, but I've had a long 10 months micro-tapering due to a kindled, sensitized CNS, though, so feeling doubtful a rushed taper would serve me. Doctors have no clue of the harm they can cause. I'm down to 0.513mg. Took 10 months to get here from 0.75mg.

No sure what's happened to this Xanax taper support thread. I used to come here last year and get regular support, but it's really changed. Thanks to those who did respond.

VC

Hi friends,

I've posted this elsewhere, but wanted to mention it here also :)

Love to you!

Mrs. :smitten:

Hello gang :)

Just a brief note to say that I am officially four months benzo free today! :yippee:

I have updated my progress in my post in the Benzo Free Section of the forum (called "Mrs. has taken her last dose!"), if it can help.

I think about you often, and read every day :) I may "lurk" more than post, but I love being engaged in all of your lives! 

Welp, anyways :) That is all for now - Happy Friday to you all!! :)

Namaste.

Thanks, Vangoghsear. Glad you managed your taper relatively easy during 6 months. I'd love to do the same, but I've had a long 10 months micro-tapering due to a kindled, sensitized CNS, though, so feeling doubtful a rushed taper would serve me. Doctors have no clue of the harm they can cause. I'm down to 0.513mg. Took 10 months to get here from 0.75mg.

No sure what's happened to this Xanax taper support thread. I used to come here last year and get regular support, but it's really changed. Thanks to those who did respond.

VC

Yes, I've noticed this as well.  I don't know if maybe it's because spring is finally here, and people are out and about more, or posting elsewhere, or what.  And it does seem to fluctuate, which is probably natural.  Have you any more news on getting some help with your problem?  I hope everything works out for you.

Namaste.

Hi all!

I'm new to this thread, and I'm looking for support as I titrate off xanax. I take it only at night for sleep and so far haven't moved any of my two nightly doses to day time. I made 1 dry cut of .125 mg on New Years eve off of my second dose. Attempted to switch to a water titration of my second dose but couldn't handle the withdrawals of the change to liquid. I then took a third of my second dose and got it compounded into a liquid by a compounding pharmacy. So far I've made a .0125 mg reduction of my second dose.

I'm a happily married full time stay at home mom and my two children are my world :). This taper is very slow so I can stay functioning- hopefully I will jump in a year or so. Who knows, maybe it will go faster once I really get going with this new liquid compound.

My symptoms are difficult to handle, even at this slow taper. I know a lot of it is interdose withdrawals.  My p-doc suggested adding Valium in during the day to manage the interdose withdrawals but I don't want to create a second problem for myself.  My body is very sensitive to medication in general, too (get side effects easily).

Anyways, Im glad I found this thread :)

[00...]

Hi friends,

I've posted this elsewhere, but wanted to mention it here also :)

Love to you!

Hello gang :)

Just a brief note to say that I am officially four months benzo free today! :yippee:

I have updated my progress in my post in the Benzo Free Section of the forum (called "Mrs. has taken her last dose!"), if it can help.

I think about you often, and read every day :) I may "lurk" more than post, but I love being engaged in all of your lives! 

Welp, anyways :) That is all for now - Happy Friday to you all!! :)

LOVE this kind of post!

[00...]

Hi all!

I'm new to this thread, and I'm looking for support as I titrate off xanax. I take it only at night for sleep and so far haven't moved any of my two nightly doses to day time. I made 1 dry cut of .125 mg on New Years eve off of my second dose. Attempted to switch to a water titration of my second dose but couldn't handle the withdrawals of the change to liquid. I then took a third of my second dose and got it compounded into a liquid by a compounding pharmacy. So far I've made a .0125 mg reduction of my second dose.

I'm a happily married full time stay at home mom and my two children are my world :). This taper is very slow so I can stay functioning- hopefully I will jump in a year or so. Who knows, maybe it will go faster once I really get going with this new liquid compound.

My symptoms are difficult to handle, even at this slow taper. I know a lot of it is interdose withdrawals.  My p-doc suggested adding Valium in during the day to manage the interdose withdrawals but I don't want to create a second problem for myself.  My body is very sensitive to medication in general, too (get side effects easily).

Anyways, Im glad I found this thread :)

I'm kind of new, too, but I wanted to share a couple of things.

1. There is a liquid form of xanax by Roxane called alprazolam intensol that doesn't need compounding (for those whose insurance won't pay for compounding). I did feel a bit of adjustment to taking the liquid, but after a few days I was OK.

2. I found this e-book very helpful. Written by a  psychiatrist who has tapered many patients off of xanax.

http://www.amazon.com/Xanax-Withdrawal-Stuart-Shipko-ebook/dp/B008H7XYNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426297254&sr=8-1&keywords=xanax+withdrawal

3. I was dosing 2 times a day, but my new psychiatrist told me to take the same amount and spread it out over 4 or 5 doses. That helped me a lot.

been dry cutting slow, with no symtoms, so gonna up the cuts to 0.125 for each dose am/pm. its comfortable so far, so bigger cut seems in order. wanna get it over with, see what happens with larger cuts. if its stable at this ill cut a bit more!

Anyone jump at 0.5mg? Im really debating it, just want to be done already :-[

I attempted to jump at .25mg and it was a complete disaster...so much so that I searched for help online and found BB at that point and reinstated and tapered to .0625mg and then jumped again with no new problems, but plenty of leftover symptoms from the first attempt to jump.

In my opinion...not worth it... .5 is a significant dose to jump from.

Challis  :smitten:

been dry cutting slow, with no symtoms, so gonna up the cuts to 0.125 for each dose am/pm. its comfortable so far, so bigger cut seems in order. wanna get it over with, see what happens with larger cuts. if its stable at this ill cut a bit more!

Would you consider trying a .0625mg cut instead?

;D