Important Survey - Please Participate ×

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Hey everyone,  so im wondering....is there a possibility that people can taper off xanax with mild to minimal wd sx? Im scared to begin a taper. Currently on 1mg xanax/day for about 10 weeks. Any feedback would be great. Thanks  :)

Yes, many people can taper off or just quit and have very mild, even no wd syxs. But this board is for those who are having a difficult time, even with a slow taper, so you might not find anyone here. But rest assured the easier tapers are prob in the majority. If you have only been on 10 weeks I would consider getting off now as fast but as safe as possible before you reach tolerance and really have a hard time. Xanax is not a medication to be taken long term. The risks are too great. If you want to know the safest way to taper you have come to the right place!!  :thumbsup:

Grinch

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx Grinch! I definitely want to taper because im super sensitive to my body and i get pvcs (palps) that scare the crap out of me. Thats why I got on X to begin with, with that being said im a ball of nerves worried that thats going to be a major sx. So im trying to go as slow and painless as possible. I have enough xanax till feb 3 plus one refill. sixty 0.5 mg pills take 2 x/day. Im hoping thats enough to taper? Would you mind giving me some sort of idea where to start? Thanks again :)

Thx Grinch! I definitely want to taper because im super sensitive to my body and i get pvcs (palps) that scare the crap out of me. Thats why I got on X to begin with, with that being said im a ball of nerves worried that thats going to be a major sx. So im trying to go as slow and painless as possible. I have enough xanax till feb 3 plus one refill. sixty 0.5 mg pills take 2 x/day. Im hoping thats enough to taper? Would you mind giving me some sort of idea where to start? Thanks again :)

If you can possibly get .25 mg pills that would be ideal, but not necessary. That's bc at 1mg total dose a day (which you are at) it would be best to cut .0625mg every 7-14days. Listen to your body to see when you can cut again. I cut weekly but many hold for 2 weeks. It's easier to break the .25 mg tabs into 1/4s to give you that .0625mg dose to cut. But you can do it with .5mg tabs too. The pieces of .0625 mg will just be smaller with a .5mg tab. Then you just start by making that first cut and see how you do. At 1mg a .0625mg cut is very small in percentage so you might be just fine. I would hold for 2 weeks the first cuts to see what happens to you, if anything. It will take you longer to come off if you hold longer and do smaller cuts but if it helps with the wd syxs than it is better in the long run. If you are taking it 2xday then just take turns cutting out the doses. Going back and forth. Keeping them as even as possible in dose. OR you can cut one dose over and over with .0625 mgs cuts till you get to .25mgs and then do the other one. That's what I did. You can see by my signature where I was at 1mg and how I cut.

G

Awesome! Thx for taking the time to write that out for me, when its time for my refill ill ask the pharmacy for the

.25mg pills and start from there, in the mean time ill try and cut 1/4 off .05 mg pills. Hope this works! Thx for the input!!  :thumbsup:

Awesome! Thx for taking the time to write that out for me, when its time for my refill ill ask the pharmacy for the

.25mg pills and start from there, in the mean time ill try and cut 1/4 off .05 mg pills. Hope this works! Thx for the input!!  :thumbsup:

A 1/4 of a .5mg pill is .125mgs....it is a higher percentage off of the 1mg total dose. You still might be ok but the more you cut that amt from the total dose the higher that % gets as the total dose gets smaller. It is recommended to cut 5-10% from the total daily dose with each cut. Some can handle more, some need much less. It varies a lot from person to person. You need to figure out what you can handle for yourself. I have cut .0625mgs each week from a total daily dose of 1.25mgs. Now at the very end of my taper the % of cuts is very high. It happens that way. Does that make sense? I feel like I am babbling  :crazy: Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!  :thumbsup:

Grinch

Totally makes sense now. Thanks! Ill definitely be hanging around here for a bit untill i feel comfortable with my taper ...ugh...its so scary for me though. Thanks for the support :)

In September I reduced my alprazolam to 0,75 mg (first 1 mg), than after a few weeks I reduced it to 0,5 mg. Now I am still on 0,5 mg. I would like to have advice how to go on now. I have 0,5 mg pills that I break now. I take 0,25 in the morning and one in the evening. But these 0,25 half I can't break it anymore, I must break little peaces out of it to get the 5-10%?

In September I reduced my alprazolam to 0,75 mg (first 1 mg), than after a few weeks I reduced it to 0,5 mg. Now I am still on 0,5 mg. I would like to have advice how to go on now. I have 0,5 mg pills that I break now. I take 0,25 in the morning and one in the evening. But these 0,25 half I can't break it anymore, I must break little peaces out of it to get the 5-10%?

I had to get .25 mg pills to allow me to be able to cut .25mg into 1/4s to give me a .0625mg dose. With the .5mg pills it's harder but you can still do it so I have heard. One way is to break the pills in half (.25) and then in half again (.125) and yet again (.0625). You would have a very small piece. Or you can crush the halfs and then divide the powder into 1/4s. That also gives you .0625mg. This will make it possible to cut out .0625mg each cut if you don't have .25 pills. But as you get further along and lower in dose those .0625 cuts will get larger and larger in %. That's just the way it works at those lower doses. But by then the body hopefully will have adjusted some to the lower doses and won't be as affected by the larger cuts. Hope that helps.

Grinch

Hey everyone,  so im wondering....is there a possibility that people can taper off xanax with mild to minimal wd sx? Im scared to begin a taper. Currently on 1mg xanax/day for about 10 weeks. Any feedback would be great. Thanks  :)

starfish, my taper has been relatively easy so far.  I do have symptoms, and sometimes the tinnitus is soooo loud and persistent it drives me crazy, but considering what some people go through I count myself extremely lucky.  I took xanax for around 1 1/2 years, and was up to approximately 2mg/day sometimes (not all the time).  I'm almost finished now.  I started in September and should be done in 3-4 weeks or so.  Since you're only taking 1mg and have only been taking it for 2 1/2 months, it shouldn't (hopefully) take you very long. 

I started out cutting .125 (one half of a .25mg pill) every 9-12 days, but once I got below 1mg I started cutting .0624 (one quarter of a .25mg pill) every 6-7 days.  I could probably go faster now, but I think 6-7 days is a good rule.  You can see my schedule in my tagline.

Good luck, and don't let your fear rule you!

Namaste.

~K    :smitten:

starfish, my taper has been relatively easy so far.  I do have symptoms, and sometimes the tinnitus is soooo loud and persistent it drives me crazy, but considering what some people go through I count myself extremely lucky.  I took xanax for around 1 1/2 years, and was up to approximately 2mg/day sometimes (not all the time).  I'm almost finished now.  I started in September and should be done in 3-4 weeks or so.  Since you're only taking 1mg and have only been taking it for 2 1/2 months, it shouldn't (hopefully) take you very long. 

I started out cutting .125 (one half of a .25mg pill) every 9-12 days, but once I got below 1mg I started cutting .0624 (one quarter of a .25mg pill) every 6-7 days.  I could probably go faster now, but I think 6-7 days is a good rule.  You can see my schedule in my tagline.

Namaste.

You're at .25!!!  That's huge...and you're doing 'relatively well'...so happy to hear it.  This is where I tried to jump and it changed my Xanax taper from tolerable to brutal and stayed that way so hang in there with the small cuts! 

:yippee:

I had to get .25 mg pills to allow me to be able to cut .25mg into 1/4s to give me a .0625mg dose. With the .5mg pills it's harder but you can still do it so I have heard. One way is to break the pills in half (.25) and then in half again (.125) and yet again (.0625). You would have a very small piece. Or you can crush the halfs and then divide the powder into 1/4s. That also gives you .0625mg. This will make it possible to cut out .0625mg each cut if you don't have .25 pills. But as you get further along and lower in dose those .0625 cuts will get larger and larger in %. That's just the way it works at those lower doses. But by then the body hopefully will have adjusted some to the lower doses and won't be as affected by the larger cuts. Hope that helps.

Grinch

I was originally cutting 1mg pills into quarters (I stabilized at 2mg/day).  It's so much easier cutting the .25mg pills.  They still don't cut into exact pieces, but I use the bigger pieces first and work my way down to the smaller ones.  So far it hasn't given me any trouble.  If your pills crumble really bad, you might try using a mortar and pestle and grinding it into a powder, then dividing that into quarters and putting it into milk or yogurt or something.  Or you could try liquid titration, but honestly, for me, that seemed like a really huge hassle.  It's easier for me personally to dry cut.

Good luck with your taper Leonne!

Namaste.

Namaste.

You're at .25!!!  That's huge...and you're doing 'relatively well'...so happy to hear it.  This is where I tried to jump and it changed my Xanax taper from tolerable to brutal and stayed that way so hang in there with the small cuts! 

I know, right!  You and Charlie and Grinch and a few others here gave me really great advice from the beginning, and I tried to follow your example.  It worked great for me!  ;D  Thank you SOOOO MUCH  Challis!  (and Charlie and Grinch and everyone else here!)

Namaste and huge hugs.

Namaste.

I know, right!  You and Charlie and Grinch and a few others here gave me really great advice from the beginning, and I tried to follow your example.  It worked great for me!  ;D  Thank you SOOOO MUCH  Challis!  (and Charlie and Grinch and everyone else here!)

Namaste and huge hugs.

Great big  ;D across cyberland...

Hey Starfish,

I will chime in to let you know that, unlike my amazing buddies Vangogh & Challis, I unfortunately did not have a very easy going taper. BUT -- that did NOT, and does not, mean that I couldn't taper and get free :) I came on here to let you know that, even if it is hard or gets hard, you CAN do it! When things got "ouchy", I slowed down and/or held my dose for a good while. I water tapered very slowly, as I was very sensitive to even a small cut like 0.0625mg (1/4th of a 0.25mg tablet) - it was too much for me at one time to cut.

I am currently just over 2 months xanax free, and am in many ways what others would consider "fully functional". I still have healing to do, but it is moving along quite steadily. I was also able to continue working, to some capacity, all throughout my taper and withdrawal thus far (see my signature line for details). My taper and withdrawal was very challenging many times, yes, BUT. I believe that I am at where I'm at today because I heeded the advice of moving slowly AND listening to my body when it said "too fast" (rather than plowing through just to get "off"). I will state that a slow and steady taper does not guarantee an "easy" withdrawal, - but I do believe that it increases your odds of an easier time and lesser symptoms. Although my taper was, in my opinion, a bit tougher than most moving at my rate of speed, I can say that I believe it could've been made much worse by a "cold turkey" cessation, or a more rapid taper rate than I took.

I hope that this post is hopeful and encouraging to you, SF - I will say it again, that no matter which 'type' of 'withdrawler' you are (having an 'easy' time, or having a 'hard' time), you CAN do this, and you are NOT alone. There are plenty of buddies on this Xanax thread who have had a bit "bumpier" of a taper, and will be there to help comfort you and pick you back up & get you moving along again, if necessary. And, if it is an 'easier' ride (as I suspect it probably will be ;) ), there are plenty of buddies like you here as well, to encourage and relate to your situation and taper as well.

All bases are covered, buddy. You can do this. Now, do your "homework" and research/ask questions/etc to help you figure out what type of taper regime you feel is best for you AND that you are comfortable with, and have at it  :thumbsup: Love to you, buddy - you GOT this.

Mrs. :smitten:

I'll just step in here to stop the positive spin cycle for a moment.

For long term, high dose users, quitting Xanax or any other benzodiazepine is a Herculean effort.  For many of us, this process can take years.  I am now entering my third year of horrific withdrawal which does include my 11 month taper.  I am bedridden most of the day. 

My husband tapered at the same time and was recently able to return to his full time job. He has remained 75% functional throughout.  But he admits he is in no way healed.  And he's scared too.

The B.S. in here is knee high from a few moderators.  That's right Challis, I don't like you at all.    ;D

Amazing how easy it is to FORGET that tapering XANAX  is one of the most difficult

short acting BENZO. XANAX  is also a  "Triazbenzodiazepine" . If you care about the

enormous effects that XANAX has in its chemical makeup. It hits more receptors

super quick. Hence it's "gift that keeps on giving" .

Those of us " long time, PRN users had extremely tough, mind altering tapers at best.

There was a time when tthis thread was all about getting through minutes each day.

We were bedridden, with extremely tough withdrawal symptoms . I had to compound.     

my .0625 mg cuts, due to my body picking up miniscule variations in cutting regular .25 mg

pills. I like BabyRex, had a horrible horrible taper.  Still unbelievably cruel what BabyRex

and others suffered through and still do.......

At times I feel like we need a memorial to those whom have gone through HELL to keep

the reality of the DAMAGE these drugs do. Our lives are forever changed.

It's no small miracle that BabyRex, Stevie, Lisa, Carita, Mrs, Hopefulone, Truesouth,

Juliea, Intend (whom was switched from X to K numerous times ), Jackie  (whom had to

cross to V), took two years to taper.....The list.......that WE ALL SURVIVED the taper

It's the getting back to life facing us

I'm so tired of the all of it......... good luck and adios.

I had to compound. my .0625 mg cuts, due to my body picking up miniscule variations in cutting regular .25 mg pills.

I often wonder this. I am down to my last two cuts doing dry cut and hold. I try to split my .25s in 1/4s to give me that .0625mg that I now take 2xday. Who know if I am even getting ANY medicine with the small broken pieces that come from cutting the pills so small. The unevenness of the pieces. This last cut hit me really hard. But with only two more cuts to 0 I refuse to change things now. I have enough pills in my bottle to finish this off in the next couple weeks or sooner and that's that. I would rather be off Xanax and suffering than on it and suffering. And my entire taper has been brutal so now the only thing to do is finish. And cont to suffer if that is my fate.

G

Hey Starfish,

I will chime in to let you know that, unlike my amazing buddies Vangogh & Challis, I unfortunately did not have a very easy going taper. BUT -- that did NOT, and does not, mean that I couldn't taper and get free :) I came on here to let you know that, even if it is hard or gets hard, you CAN do it! When things got "ouchy", I slowed down and/or held my dose for a good while. I water tapered very slowly, as I was very sensitive to even a small cut like 0.0625mg (1/4th of a 0.25mg tablet) - it was too much for me at one time to cut.

I am currently just over 2 months xanax free, and am in many ways what others would consider "fully functional". I still have healing to do, but it is moving along quite steadily. I was also able to continue working, to some capacity, all throughout my taper and withdrawal thus far (see my signature line for details). My taper and withdrawal was very challenging many times, yes, BUT. I believe that I am at where I'm at today because I heeded the advice of moving slowly AND listening to my body when it said "too fast" (rather than plowing through just to get "off"). I will state that a slow and steady taper does not guarantee an "easy" withdrawal, - but I do believe that it increases your odds of an easier time and lesser symptoms. Although my taper was, in my opinion, a bit tougher than most moving at my rate of speed, I can say that I believe it could've been made much worse by a "cold turkey" cessation, or a more rapid taper rate than I took.

I hope that this post is hopeful and encouraging to you, SF - I will say it again, that no matter which 'type' of 'withdrawler' you are (having an 'easy' time, or having a 'hard' time), you CAN do this, and you are NOT alone. There are plenty of buddies on this Xanax thread who have had a bit "bumpier" of a taper, and will be there to help comfort you and pick you back up & get you moving along again, if necessary. And, if it is an 'easier' ride (as I suspect it probably will be ;) ), there are plenty of buddies like you here as well, to encourage and relate to your situation and taper as well.

All bases are covered, buddy. You can do this. Now, do your "homework" and research/ask questions/etc to help you figure out what type of taper regime you feel is best for you AND that you are comfortable with, and have at it  :thumbsup: Love to you, buddy - you GOT this.

Thanks!  I think im going start my taper after my monthly cycle..sorry tmi, but i dont want hormones to play a part in wd sxs. Im already super sensitive to by body. Im so scared to get heart palpitations again. I know xanax has never stopped them but i dont react to them with panic on xanax. Does anyone else get them? I don't know how to keep myself calm when they come. I need a coping mechanism, especially when im at work. Thanks for all the support everyone!! Please give as much feedback as you would like, i love to hear from you all. It gives me hope and makes me feel more confident  :thumbsup:

Hey Starfish,

Thanks!  I think im going start my taper after my monthly cycle..sorry tmi, but i dont want hormones to play a part in wd sxs. Im already super sensitive to by body. Im so scared to get heart palpitations again. I know xanax has never stopped them but i dont react to them with panic on xanax. Does anyone else get them? I don't know how to keep myself calm when they come. I need a coping mechanism, especially when im at work. Thanks for all the support everyone!! Please give as much feedback as you would like, i love to hear from you all. It gives me hope and makes me feel more confident  :thumbsup:

I have learned the art of "tapping" for anxiety and panic. Just YouTube videos for tapping for anxiety. It's a lot like meditation, takes practice. Maybe it will help.

G

I'll just step in here to stop the positive spin cycle for a moment.

For long term, high dose users, quitting Xanax or any other benzodiazepine is a Herculean effort.  For many of us, this process can take years.  I am now entering my third year of horrific withdrawal which does include my 11 month taper.  I am bedridden most of the day. 

My husband tapered at the same time and was recently able to return to his full time job. He has remained 75% functional throughout.  But he admits he is in no way healed.  And he's scared too.

The B.S. in here is knee high from a few moderators.  That's right Challis, I don't like you at all.    ;D

You don't like Challis because she had an easier time withdrawing?  Hmmm, that seems a little harsh, don't you think?  Challis and I both were long term Xanax users and our w/d experience was almost identical.

You're right w/d was difficult!  Everyone handles emotional and physical discomfort differently, and that's a fact.  The worst part of w/d for me was insomnia, (which I still struggle with), benzo belly, and exaggerated aches and pains.  The worst mistake I made in the very beginning was cutting 5mg from my 2mg dose, and that was a nightmare!  Once I began cutting .0625 every 10-12 days w/d became much more manageable.

I just wanted to add my two cents.... > :sick:

Charlie

Hey Starfish,

Not TMI at all, lol :)  Many female withdrawalers notice an "uptick" in their symptoms as their 'monthly cycle' progresses & commences.  I am not a doctor, of course, but I think it has something to do with our hormone production while in withdrawal.  There is actually a support thread for those who have experienced symptoms associated with menstruation, and it's located here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=109103.0  There are some really neat ladies over there that have been mightily encouraging to me and others through this process :)

I understand how heart palpitations can be a bit unsettling, SF.  May I ask, how do your palpitations present themselves?  Is it a PVC (a sensation of a "skip" or "delay" in a beat)?  Or is it some tachycardia (elevated heart rate)?  Either way, I have experienced both while in withdrawal.  May I ask you - how long have you used Xanax?  Have you ever had ANY other history of benzodiazepine usage, prior to 2014?  Even if it was very occasional, PRN usage?  I ask because I became VERY inclined to panic/anxiety/panic attacks from my very first Xanax pill ~ the "rebound" withdrawals happened almost immediately for me.  Must be a bit genetic, too, because the same thing happened for my grandmother when she was put on Ativan (lorazepam) ~ rebound symptoms from the first pill.  Anyways, I say all that to mention that I would venture to guess that MUCH of the panic and anxiety you are currently feeling may just be from interdose/tolerance withdrawal to the Xanax.  The past few months, the "benzo fear/panic/anxiety" has been peeling away, layer by layer, for me...and I am amazed at how much it was the root of the fear/panic/anxiety I experienced.  The same may be for you as well :)

One thing to understand about palpitations, SF - palpitations are completely HARMLESS.  A full evaluation from a cardiologist will reassure you of the same thing. They are about as concerning (and annoying) as a "hiccup".  Know that, and rehearsing that over and over again as they occurred, was very helpful for me.  For reference, I experienced the "skipped" beat sensation that you described ~ similar to you, in that it was not 100s of times per day, but one here and there.  I also experienced tachycardia ~ with a resting rate of 90s-100s, and with short 'episodes' that it would do a brief "peak" at 150-160-170bpm and come back down (argh!) -- and I mean honey, talk about a BAD time to have panic arise, when your heartrate is already moving at 150bpm!! :D I of course went to see a cardiologist, and  I wore a holter monitor -- for thirty days, at my request.  We recorded some of the "worst" feeling tachycardia episodes, along with some PVCs.  ALL were normal.  It was wild ~ every time I called in to "empty" my holter monitor of its recordings (it would only hold ten recordings at a time), I thought FOR SURE this time they'll be calling me in after seeing these recordings...only to get no phone call :o:P  I leaned on my cardiologist often when I was dealing with irrational fears ~ mine had this steady confidence and casual attitude about what I was experiencing that really helped set me at ease.  I thought, well SHEESH -- if he's not running around, calling for backup, concerned for my safety and well-being...than why am I?  When it comes to heart-related things, it is my personal opinion and experiences that doctors don't "mess around"...so if there is even a hint of a concern there in the tests, they take it very seriously.  So, with mine, I took it as a VERY good sign that there was NO ONE but me (at first) concerned about things (I am absolutely NOT concerned like that now). 

I was also prescribed something called a "beta blocker", in a low dose to be able to take "as needed" for tachycardia and/or palpitations.  From my limited understanding, beta blockers are effective in helping reduce the physical response associated with anxiety and/or physical/emotional stress and/or panic.  They were very helpful for me in reducing my heartrate, softening the "pound" sensation, and reducing the incidences of PVCs.  I also took a very specific form of magnesium called magnesium glycinate.  Now, not everyone believes in or agrees with taking supplements, so feel free to do what you feel is best for you.  I had read some information and materials written by Dr. Carolyn Dean, author of "The Magnesium Miracle".  She writes about her experiences as a cardiologist, as well as her personal experiences dealing with an arrhythmia of her own.  She writes about how she was able to eliminate the usage of a pharmaceutical drug entirely by taking an effective daily dose of a highly absorbable form of magnesium (in the form of magnesium glycinate, in her experiences).  I had found the same to be true for me as well, in taking an effective-for-me daily dose of magnesium glycinate -- I found it to slow my heartrate by 10bpm, smooth out almost all PVCs (from a couple per day to 1-2 per week), and as a side benefit it helped calm my anxiety and panic symptoms (roughly a 30-60% reduction in intensity and frequency, personally).  Again, I must emphasize that my experiences are NOT everyone's experiences, and nothing is for everybody.  But, these were and are my personal experiences with heart-related symptoms, and I wanted to relay them to you, in case it could help encourage you.

There is a support group for those withdrawalers experiencing palpitations also, located here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=101734.0  Again, some great folks on there that had helped completely set my mind at ease :)  There is a couple buddies, Garton and Wondernova, that have been especially helpful to me.  Both have had experiences with palpitations pre-benzos (I believe).  They are wonderful sources of comfort and support.  There is another buddy who does not frequent the forum as often anymore (yay for healing), and her name is Hopefulgirl.  I won't tell you her personal story for her, but she had some very involved heart symptoms prior to benzodiazepines, and has (IMO) INCREDIBLE insight on how to handle them utilizing natural methods and coping skills.  You can try to PM her, to see if she may come back and give you some suggestions.  Allow her a little time to respond, since as I mentioned that she does not frequent the forum as often anymore :)  I think she still gets email notifications of PMs though, so she may respond :)

I should be off for now, as my "Mr" has returned home from work today.  Love to you SF - you're going to overcome this, and you're going to be okay.  Once you're out on the "other side", you'll be stronger and better than you've ever been before all this, I believe :)  Take care tonight, and I hope that through some of this rambling I've done, you've found something encouraging to "chew" on :smitten:

Do you find tapping helpful??

I do. It is my go to coping strategies now. Especially early morning, but you have to believe it and let it work. And keep doing it.

G

Do you find tapping helpful??

I do. It is my go to coping strategies now. Especially early morning, but you have to believe it and let it work. And keep doing it.

G

I hope you get some relief in the evenings.