Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Jorges,

I am at 1.6 mg. V and I still feel the cuts just the same as when I was at a higher dose. Everyone is different of course but in my case and many others it is a slow decent to zero or there abouts.

Peace & Healing

ATU

You to understand that the drug's therapeutic effect is not directly related to level of dependency.  5mg is probably the lowest dose that most folks would feel any therapeutic effect from.  And its probaly a near certainty that 2mg has no therapeutic effect,

But most folks would still have a significant level of dependency at 5 mg, and many will still have a real dependency at 2 mg.

Builder,

Did you still experience sxs when you feel below 2 mgs. ?

Just wondering.

Thanks

:smitten:

ATU

Actually, I seemed to stopped having any sxs at about 3mg.  Again, just as there is minimum therapeutic dose, every one will probably taper down to a level where there is longer a dependency.  I think Ashton suggest its probably around 1-2 mg.

You to understand that the drug's therapeutic effect is not directly related to level of dependency.  5mg is probably the lowest dose that most folks would feel any therapeutic effect from.  And its probaly a near certainty that 2mg has no therapeutic effect,

But most folks would still have a significant level of dependency at 5 mg, and many will still have a real dependency at 2 mg.

This is so well said and I completely agree. I definitely didn't feel that it was medicating my anxiety once I got below 5 mg, but I certainly still had a dependence at least down to 2 mg. There is a mental component, like Jorges mentioned, which makes it difficult to tell how much of what you're feeling is actual dependence, how much is rebound anxiety, and how much is just you making it harder on yourself. I don't think we can really get out of any of those, but we can do our best to make things as comfortable as possible.

Should I update you guys on my situation while I'm here? I've had a rough couple of weeks or however long it has been since I last posted. Still working (note: I work from home), still going through the motions, but anxiety has been high. I've been afraid to leave the house. I have a few doc appts in the next 30 days and I'm nervous as hell.

It's not that I haven't had good moments. I've had plenty. It's just that there's this underlying shaky anxiety that I can kind of feel physically. Or maybe it's the shakes from WD, I don't know. Whatever I might label it, I just know it makes me uncomfortable and anxious.

But I'm doing my best. I know these times will pass. My akathisia has eased up a bit so that's a plus. What can you do? Just keep moving forward. I will say it's nice to feel like myself though, even when I'm a mess. Benzos seem to take some of your identity away and you don't even realize it until you're getting off of them and your personality returns.

P.S. Is it weird that I'm still updating in this thread? Just seems like the right place to do it since it's where I've always posted. I guess I should probably be on the post-jump board but it feels like home right here! :-\

This is so well said and I completely agree. I definitely didn't feel that it was medicating my anxiety once I got below 5 mg, but I certainly still had a dependence at least down to 2 mg. There is a mental component, like Jorges mentioned, which makes it difficult to tell how much of what you're feeling is actual dependence, how much is rebound anxiety, and how much is just you making it harder on yourself. I don't think we can really get out of any of those, but we can do our best to make things as comfortable as possible.

Should I update you guys on my situation while I'm here? I've had a rough couple of weeks or however long it has been since I last posted. Still working (note: I work from home), still going through the motions, but anxiety has been high. I've been afraid to leave the house. I have a few doc appts in the next 30 days and I'm nervous as hell.

It's not that I haven't had good moments. I've had plenty. It's just that there's this underlying shaky anxiety that I can kind of feel physically. Or maybe it's the shakes from WD, I don't know. Whatever I might label it, I just know it makes me uncomfortable and anxious.

But I'm doing my best. I know these times will pass. My akathisia has eased up a bit so that's a plus. What can you do? Just keep moving forward. I will say it's nice to feel like myself though, even when I'm a mess. Benzos seem to take some of your identity away and you don't even realize it until you're getting off of them and your personality returns.

P.S. Is it weird that I'm still updating in this thread? Just seems like the right place to do it since it's where I've always posted. I guess I should probably be on the post-jump board but it feels like home right here! :-\

SandP, I was thinking about,you the other day, and am happy you posted an update. I am sorry the past couple of weeks have been tough. It sounds like you are hitting the accute stage. The shaky anxiety and tremor-like feelings are withdrawal. They are nothing to fear and will pass as time goes by, your body is trying to reach homeostasis and it will sooner rather than later with your upbeat, determined attitude. The akathesia is lifting and you're startling to remember what I you were like before benzos. Your body is in healing mode. 

Sending loving thoughts and prayers for wide open windows to you,

Left  :smitten:

Jorges,

I am at 1.6 mg. V and I still feel the cuts just the same as when I was at a higher dose. Everyone is different of course but in my case and many others it is a slow decent to zero or there abouts.

Peace & Healing

ATU

Thanks All Tied Up, builder, and SandP, Left behind. 

I am trying to figure this out a little from a logic perspective.  Besides giving me hope, it gives my mind something to work on.  I had a nasty wave when I was writing that. 

I am thinking that the drug must have a dampening effect, all the way down to zero.  But it would not be enough to help a new user with anxiety, or insomnia, or whatever.  But it covers enough acreage in neurons to smooth the long term isers withdrawal. 

I am just reading Matt Samet's book.  Excellent read.  But be forewarned if you decide to read it.  His detailed discussions if his experiences can be somewhat distressing :-) .  I am just getting to his recovery part. 

Thanks everyone. 

Thanks All Tied Up, builder, and SandP, Left behind. 

I am trying to figure this out a little from a logic perspective.  Besides giving me hope, it gives my mind something to work on.  I had a nasty wave when I was writing that. 

I am thinking that the drug must have a dampening effect, all the way down to zero.  But it would not be enough to help a new user with anxiety, or insomnia, or whatever.  But it covers enough acreage in neurons to smooth the long term isers withdrawal. 

I am just reading Matt Samet's book.  Excellent read.  But be forewarned if you decide to read it. His detailed discussions if his experiences can be somewhat distressing :-) .  I am just getting to his recovery part. 

Thanks everyone.

Oh yeah!  That's just what most folks really need to read.  They might not get enough "distressing" stuff here on BB.  ::)

So Builder, what do you think about the "dampening effect" of V...is that a result of GABA down regulation, glutamate damage, or something else?

BTW, I appreciate the "trigger" warning...that's one book I won't be reading.  :)

Question for group,...

Has anyone else here had bad tight neck shoulder muscles? It even feels like my throat is tight.

I would sure appreciate any remedies for this.

Thanks all

ATU

Well, I guess I don't really know what "dampening effect" is, but I'll restate what already said.

For most folks about 5 mg is probably the lowest dose that will have any real therapeutic effect.  Therapeutic effect means it's able to address sxs caused by the original, underlying disorder, or by circumstances created by external events.  I can still take a 5mg tablet prior to a CT or MRI scan to soothe my claustrophobia, but I am absolutely certain that a 2mg tablet would have no perceptible effect.

But most folks will still continue to have a dependency on their benzo at significantly lower than 5mg doses.  Even at 2-3mg (or sometimes lower) Valium will still have the ability to prevent the onset of withdrawal sxs.

Question for group,...

Has anyone else here had bad tight neck shoulder muscles? It even feels like my throat is tight.

Thanks all

ATU

ATU,

I sure do.  A heating pad sometimes helps, but usually I just have to wait it out.

Hope you feel some relief soon!

Ed

Well, I guess I don't really know what "dampening effect" is, but I'll restate what already said.

For most folks about 5 mg is probably the lowest dose that will have any real therapeutic effect.  Therapeutic effect means it's able to address sxs caused by the original, underlying disorder, or by circumstances created by external events.  I can still take a 5mg tablet prior to a CT or MRI scan to soothe my claustrophobia, but I am absolutely certain that a 2mg tablet would have no perceptible effect.

But most folks will still continue to have a dependency on their benzo at significantly lower than 5mg doses.  Even at 2-3mg (or sometimes lower) Valium will still have the ability to prevent the onset of withdrawal sxs.

Thank you Builder, that makes sense :thumbsup:

Hi guys,

please excuse the quick interruption ..... but need some advice-  can we take tamiflu or anti virals with Valium?  ( husband just diagnosed with flu, doc wants all of us to take tamilfu..... ) i did not get a flu shot either. thanks

Question for group,...

Thanks all

ATU

I have this too, ATU. At one point in time I thought my lymph nodes were swollen. Nope, it was those darn neck muscles locked up in spasm.

Moist heat and gentle stretching help me the most. Hope you feel better soon.  :)

I am doing it!!!! I am cutting again tomorrow....5mgs (14% cut)

I am already so ill  that it will either kill me or I will just continue to be sick

I see that this is crazy but nothing has worked to make me feel better this entire past year...NOTHING!!!  I tried MT for a month...I tried holding for 5 months...I have no options left

so I will be at the smallest amount of benzo since this all started in 2012

was taking .25mgs Xanax = 5mgs valium

3mgs VALIUM!!!!!  that is a miracle...totally non functional though...I want to be off in 2017

I need to go back to neurologist for further testing on vestibular and also eye for possible cataracts

falling apart but I am still here...barely

God is my ONLY refuge and boy do I cry to Him daily...begging, pleading...sad, very sad

I read 3 of my friends who are off and doing so good...(they never got as sick as I am though) and I want to be where they are

so if its Gods will not to take me home just yet...then I pray He will restore "what the locusts have taken"

Question for group,...

Thanks all

ATU

Hi ATU  :). I agree with Ed on the heating pad idea. The other thing I found to help was keeping my neck totally still.  For some reason massaging it didn't help me, but if I lay on my back totally still eventually I get a little relief.  It's just miserable though. That was a really intense symptom for me at the start of my taper. I hope you find something that brings relief.

Ella

Holy CRAP Ella you are cutting a mg every couple weeks????

what are your symptoms?  I thought I was going fast...I am guessing that you are young...at my age this could kill me

I am very impressed with your tapering...you have courage

Hi guys,

please excuse the quick interruption ..... but need some advice-  can we take tamiflu or anti virals with Valium?  ( husband just diagnosed with flu, doc wants all of us to take tamilfu..... ) i did not get a flu shot either. thanks

Hi guys,

please excuse the quick interruption ..... but need some advice- can we take tamiflu or anti virals with Valium?  ( husband just diagnosed with flu, doc wants all of us to take tamilfu..... ) i did not get a flu shot either. thanks

Absolutely yes.

Holy CRAP Ella you are cutting a mg every couple weeks????

what are your symptoms?  I thought I was going fast...I am guessing that you are young...at my age this could kill me

I am very impressed with your tapering...you have courage

Hi laineyk  :). No, sadly I am not young. I'm 48  >:(. The physical symptoms aren't that bad now, they were much worse earlier, but the anxiety/terror is a nightmare. It seems that I am afraid of everything.  I just keep going because I don't know what else to do.  I'm praying that it will get better.

Ella1 & left behind,

Thank you both for your responses and suggestions. Ive had it before but not this intense.

Ill muddle through it of course,..after all these sxs are usually transient and dissappear quickly.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

ATU