Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Hey Grape!

How are you feeling? Think you'll be able to make that next cut in a little less than a week? Or will you hold for the holidays?

--Ed

I'm planning to cut again this Saturday. I'm feeling pretty decent, just the usual tinnitus spikes off and on and not sleeping all the way through the night. I'm not doing a long hold for the holidays since I'm just spending a quiet Christmas with my dad. Definitely NOT going to go out partying for New Year's.

Hey Grape!

How are you feeling? Think you'll be able to make that next cut in a little less than a week? Or will you hold for the holidays?

--Ed

I'm planning to cut again this Saturday. I'm feeling pretty decent, just the usual tinnitus spikes off and on and not sleeping all the way through the night. I'm not doing a long hold for the holidays since I'm just spending a quiet Christmas with my dad. Definitely NOT going to go out partying for New Year's.

You're doing great!  Yes, probably best to have a chill holiday season if you aren't going to hold. Good luck on Saturday.

Best,

Ed

Hello all - I know this probably isn't the perfect place to post this - but I'm pretty much posting everywhere

I crossed over to 10mg Valium from .5mg Klonipin in January or February - I have never felt well on the Valium - then my thyroid TANKED which I now believe is where most of my symptoms are stemming from - yesterday me and my dr realized that it was just after the Valium switch that my thyroid dumped - and we have tried so many different combinations of meds to get my T3 up - but to no avail.........my husband agrees that I havent been right since moving to the Valium

so......I'm considering a switch back to Klonipin and direct liquid micro taper from K - I did post this on Klonipin board but just wondering if anyone here knows of anyone else that had to cross back from Valium back to their original drug?

I run the risk of my thyroid still not correcting - but at this point - I can't see tapering with these hypo thyroid symptoms. In a year I have only gone from 10mg to 6.5 - and I've been symptomatic - where as on my failed Klonipin taper all I had was vertigo and anxiety - it wasnt until 3 weeks out that i hit acute and it was BAD - but I'm wondering if that was a function of how enormous my cuts were - (25%, hold 3 weeks, 36% hold 3 weeks, 50% hold 3 weeks and then a zig zag of that same dose every other day for 3 weeks - this was all dr directed before I had done any research)

Any advice, insight, experience or even referrals to other members would be greatly appreciated

Thanks all

I also crossed to Valium but from Ativan.  Ever since I have been tapering it I have gotten sicker and sicker and I am also contemplating switching back to Ativan.  Valium just seems like poison to my body now.  I am going to ask Dr. about this.  I know Ativan is fast acting and would be fighting i/d w/d but anything has to be better than this constant array of symptoms I have.  Comments?  Anyone do this and have better luck .  Thanks.

OH how I wish I had answers...I went to lorazepam after 1st c/o to valium from Kpin  and tapered from 15mg to 4.5mg and gave up  then went to lorazepam and actually felt better

I came off Zoloft (15yrs on) while on the lorazepam and I think that threw me out of sorts...but who knows I did taper in 4 weeks off the Zoloft

I have been SOOOOOO sick since going back to valium (easier to taper from...went back on a year ago and have managed to just get to 4 mgs after all this time

I am barely functioning..Valium is the hardest for our liver to metabolize because it has the most metabolites...so many ppl can not take valium

as a matter of fact my drs office does not even prescribe it...only gave it to me for tapering

you have to go with what your gut (literally) tells you to do

God only knows what my gut says, my head is so sick I can't think.  I'll see what he says.  I have been on all Valium for almost 2 yrs maybe 1 1/2 yrs, I can't remember now.  I did fine at first but after tapering to 15 mg. from 20 I held for surgery and then when I tried tapering again it wasn't pretty.  Managed to get to 13 and was fighting so many symptoms Dr. said to updose to 15.  I only went to 14 but it made thing worse.  Anyway, just don't know what to do at this point.  Looking for answers when there probably isnn't any one thing that works for all anyway.  Hope we find some answers..  I'm so sorry I ever went to valium. 

Free Me and LaineyK - thank you both SO much for your replies - I'm contemplating seriously switching back to a comparable dose of Klonipin - I can't taper at all with my thyroid the way it is - i'm just a mess - and when I research each drug with Thyroid function - it seems that def. there is a link between valium and thyroid function but not quite so clear with Klonipin and one place said that thyroid function is not a symptom....

I have literally felt poisoned since I've been on it but kept at it - but my husband points to the fact that I was FINE on Klonipin when I reinstated - I only moved to Valium because I was told its easier to taper - but nothing about this has been easy - but I also talked to another BB here whose dr told her that post acute would be easier after valium - argh - so much to think about........

but i seriously dont know how i will taper this.....

I've posted on Klonipin board to see if anyone there moved from Valium.....havent heard back there

Hi Hopeful - thanks for your input - I've actually been on the Valium for a year now - getting nowhere - but was on Klonipin for 5 years and tapered it fairly easily - it was my post acute that was so horrific and I ended up reinstating and then moving to Valium - but I was fine on the Klonipin and my thyroid was fine - all until i made the move to Valium

So i'm assuming that you think i should stick to the Valium - and if so - why? do you have personal experience? I'm just trying to garner as much info as possible here

Thanks again

Hi fight. No im suggesting you stick to a klonopin taper as it seems easier for you. They put you on valium cos its easier to taper but if you feel better tapering on klonopin I would stick to that. Its valium I have been taking for 2 years so don't know much about klonopin taper but there is plenty ppl on here who do a klonopin taper who could help better than me.      :thumbsup:

Hi fight. Meanwhile I would explain to your doc that you want back on kpin as soon as poss as it might help with your symptoms just now    :thumbsup:

Thank you HS - I'm doing a little research and will talk it over with my husband, thyroid doc and pdoc. - I'm OK now - i mean, I'm not being carted off to a home - I just can't taper and feel rotten........want to make sure i dont make anymore mistakes - I've made many - the first being-darkening the door of the original prescribing Dr!!

Day 14 of being benzo-free and I thought I'd pop my head in to check in with you guys. I see that a lot of you are struggling right now and I just want to send a million hugs. You're making progress even if you're just holding, so remember that and stay strong! I wish I had some helpful advice. On the nausea note, my one piece of advice is to make sure you're eating enough. When I tried to cut calories on my taper, the nausea was unbearable. I know that many have difficulty eating when tapering, so I wonder if there is any connection with the nausea.

As for me, I cannot believe it has been 14 days already. I don't know what the rest of December has in store for me, but so far it has been honestly pretty easy. I've been busy working, Christmas shopping, and doing holiday crafts projects. The exception to it being easy is that I do not like sitting or being stuck at red lights in the car. My body wants to be up and moving. Sitting still is when the anxiety does kick in and I tend to rock back and forth out of that urge to keep moving. I do try to relax into it, but I'm just not spending much time sitting still at the moment! I know it will eventually pass because I had this during my Ativan taper. It's the worst. It sort of feels like the verge of vertigo, but I'm not having any of that right now. Other symptoms are just a bit of stomach pain and some head pain, but again still super mild and it passes so quickly. Best of all, no more heart palpitations! I feel extremely fortunate.

I remember reading several accounts of people having a rough two weeks after jumping, or alternatively a rough third and fourth week after jumping, so even though I've had barely any side effects, I'm still bracing myself for it to hit me. Regardless, my mind is blown that these first two weeks could possibly go so smoothly. I've more or less forgotten that I even jumped on most days because I'm just up and busy and doing things. I just don't think about it. I don't feel any different mentally. Physically there are those little hints... random pains, muscle tension, the rocking thing... but mentally, I'm happy and healthy. I reconnected with my partner in a big way recently, I rediscovered my love of my job, I picked up some creative projects that I had put down years ago... things are really looking up.

Bottom line, my point is that life honestly does already feel so much better without benzos. The mental clarity is amazing. I can remember things now! I'm present all the time, not lost in thought. I'm much better socially and in conversation, even if I do still have social anxiety. I'm WAY more creative. I have so much more energy. And caffeine is back in my life and it is so good! One cup of coffee at work every day. Heaven!

Sending endless amounts of gratitude yet again for all the support you gave me here. I will continue coming back here to this thread as long as I'm still seeing familiar faces (or usernames, as the case may be!). Know that you have a lot of love being thrown your way, including prayers and positive energy. If a nutjob like me (you have NO idea!) can make it through this process, then I know you can too. Love love love to all of you!!

:smitten:

S&P

Great to hear how well you are doing. I too failed my Ativan taper.

Im down to 1.6 mg. V and holding now through Christmas.

I wish I could say it is easy but I am having the dizzies and digestive issues right now. Im sure they will fade.

I hope the rest of your December is fantastic. Have a great Christmas! 👍

ATU

S&P

Great to hear how well you are doing. I too failed my Ativan taper.

Im down to 1.6 mg. V and holding now through Christmas.

I wish I could say it is easy but I am having the dizzies and digestive issues right now. Im sure they will fade.

I hope the rest of your December is fantastic. Have a great Christmas! 👍

ATU

You sound like you have a great attitude about it! Which helps so much. Look at you, you're almost there. Isn't it funny how long it takes and yet how fast it goes by? It's both realities at once. That part really shocked me. I still can't believe I'm at this point with it. I feel like I just started, and yet it feels like a lifetime ago. No regrets though! I learned so much from all of this! Merry Christmas to you too, and wishing you a quick end to your current symptoms!

Thank you for your post SandP, it is exactly what I needed to hear right now.  Cross

Day 14 of being benzo-free and I thought I'd pop my head in to check in with you guys. I see that a lot of you are struggling right now and I just want to send a million hugs. You're making progress even if you're just holding, so remember that and stay strong! I wish I had some helpful advice. On the nausea note, my one piece of advice is to make sure you're eating enough. When I tried to cut calories on my taper, the nausea was unbearable. I know that many have difficulty eating when tapering, so I wonder if there is any connection with the nausea.

As for me, I cannot believe it has been 14 days already. I don't know what the rest of December has in store for me, but so far it has been honestly pretty easy. I've been busy working, Christmas shopping, and doing holiday crafts projects. The exception to it being easy is that I do not like sitting or being stuck at red lights in the car. My body wants to be up and moving. Sitting still is when the anxiety does kick in and I tend to rock back and forth out of that urge to keep moving. I do try to relax into it, but I'm just not spending much time sitting still at the moment! I know it will eventually pass because I had this during my Ativan taper. It's the worst. It sort of feels like the verge of vertigo, but I'm not having any of that right now. Other symptoms are just a bit of stomach pain and some head pain, but again still super mild and it passes so quickly. Best of all, no more heart palpitations! I feel extremely fortunate.

I remember reading several accounts of people having a rough two weeks after jumping, or alternatively a rough third and fourth week after jumping, so even though I've had barely any side effects, I'm still bracing myself for it to hit me. Regardless, my mind is blown that these first two weeks could possibly go so smoothly. I've more or less forgotten that I even jumped on most days because I'm just up and busy and doing things. I just don't think about it. I don't feel any different mentally. Physically there are those little hints... random pains, muscle tension, the rocking thing... but mentally, I'm happy and healthy. I reconnected with my partner in a big way recently, I rediscovered my love of my job, I picked up some creative projects that I had put down years ago... things are really looking up.

Bottom line, my point is that life honestly does already feel so much better without benzos. The mental clarity is amazing. I can remember things now! I'm present all the time, not lost in thought. I'm much better socially and in conversation, even if I do still have social anxiety. I'm WAY more creative. I have so much more energy. And caffeine is back in my life and it is so good! One cup of coffee at work every day. Heaven!

Sending endless amounts of gratitude yet again for all the support you gave me here. I will continue coming back here to this thread as long as I'm still seeing familiar faces (or usernames, as the case may be!). Know that you have a lot of love being thrown your way, including prayers and positive energy. If a nutjob like me (you have NO idea!) can make it through this process, then I know you can too. Love love love to all of you!!

SandP, uplifting post and attitude. I'm grateful you are doing well and please continue to keep us updated on your journey. I'm in the trenches at the moment. This is exactly what I needed to read.

Left

Great to hear you're doing well at two weeks out, SandP! I'm planning to join you on the other side in about six weeks. Can't wait. I hope my jump goes as smoothly as yours.

Great to hear you're doing well at two weeks out, SandP! I'm planning to join you on the other side in about six weeks. Can't wait. I hope my jump goes as smoothly as yours.

That's so exciting! Six weeks will fly by so fast and then we'll be celebrating! I really hope that everyone reading this can have as smooth of a jump as mine has been. I just keep thanking my lucky stars.

At the moment, I am having a major flare-up of heartburn but I think it's more Christmas indulgence related than benzo related! Also, that coffee I've been enjoying every day has been an iced peppermint mocha, and I don't do well with cold drinks, peppermint, or chocolate, so there you go. ::) Not smart! I'll be back to normal in a couple of days if I can behave myself. ;)

Its really nice to read how people can sucessfully taper fairly quickly. Some of yall have amazing resilient brains!🎉 I cant do more than a half a mg a month and even thats too fast some of the time, even microtapering. But I was on benzos for 16 years so I cant blame my brain for going slow! Congrats to yall who are finished or almost there!

Its really nice to read how people can sucessfully taper fairly quickly. Some of yall have amazing resilient brains!🎉 I cant do more than a half a mg a month and even thats too fast some of the time, even microtapering. But I was on benzos for 16 years so I cant blame my brain for going slow! Congrats to yall who are finished or almost there!

Kitty,

I am cutting about 0.5 mg every month and am at 8 mg, maybe we will finish our tapers together! I wasn't even on it that long before I got into trouble.

Hope