Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

So would you reduce rate?  What was your dlmt rate at this point.

Thanks

Going backwards hurts.  I will if I have to

If you were doing well at .03 and not doing well at .04, I'd say the writing is on the wall. I wouldn't call .03 per day going backward anyway. There may come a time where you wish you could do .03.

My nausea seems independent of taper rate though and comes and goes at it pleases. I'm currently microtapering at .015 average per day, but have utilized most every method and most every cut rate. One word of advice: do not let your impatience drive your taper. Let your body drive your taper. Just my two cents.

Best,

Ed

That is my BIGGEST lesson.  Just don't want to change things if it's the poison of the drug.  But taking a step back for a month is not the worst thing!  I know things could be worse.  I thought i had a possibility of a higher taper rate  because temazapam is a lower potency drug.

Ed,

Did nausea decrease as you got lower?

From about 7mg on down, nausea has waxed and waned throughout the course of the taper without regard to where I stood dosage-wise. I'd love to tell you, "Oh yeah, it was gone by 3mg.", but that wouldn't be the truth. I'm sure others have had it disappear as they went down the ladder though. Hopefully, you'll be one of them.

All the best,

Ed

Is nausea a w/d symptom from reducing valium?

Do people generally get nausea if they are valium "users".and not tapering?

Alot of questions, but I'm trying to understand what's happening?

Is nausea a w/d symptom from reducing valium?

Do people generally get nausea if they are valium "users".and not tapering?

Alot of questions, but I'm trying to understand what's happening?

I think for some, the nausea can simply be a result of taking the drug. That isn't the case for me or I would constantly have it. The fact that it waxes and wanes for me tells me that it is a withdrawal sx (for me). Everyone is different.

Sharkie are you stabilizing at .8?

Hi Jackson,

Well its been 2 months and I would say that I am not stable, but definitely better in the last week and a half.  Symptoms still present, but less intense.  Larger windows of relief.  I haven't had an entire day sx free, but like I said when the waves come they are less intense, but still pretty bothersome.  I'm sleeping better.  I'm getting from dose to dose better (which was a real problem before).  Usually, my toughest times are in the late afternoon and evening.  Not sure why.  But sometimes mornings are hard too.

I'm going to see Dr. Peter Madill next week.  Just did the Genomind genetics test today and he should get it in time for my visit.  Just need a consult with someone Ashton wise, who can make sense of some of my drug interactions and possibly what to do.  Want to see how I metabolize the drugs, etc. 

I actually made a tiny cut to 7.75 just to see if I got any worse.  Don't think so.  Been there for a week now.  Holding there for a few more days and see what happens.  I'd like to stabalize more, but also want off so I can address my other health issues that are worsening because I can't take the supps needed to help them.  Will talk about all of this with the doc next week.

Are you doing any better?

Sharkie :smitten:

y

Hi sharkie , I don't post much here, but I noticed you are going to see Dr Madill....I just made an appointment to see him myself on the 13 th. My first time seeing him.. You ? Do you live locally? I'm in Lake county. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes with him. I also have various genetic mutations , not sure if that's effecting my taper but mine is hell and I've hardly started. Can't get past 81/4 mg V from 10 mg , started taper in June and I haven't been stable at all. So I'm holding now I hopes that something will change so I can continue tapering . Pretty sick of not moving forward , but holding seems to be the best option for now......  :hug:

Hi Miyu,

I have been off BB for a bit so just noticing your post now.  You see him Wed.  I hope it goes well for you.

I liked Dr. Madill very much.  He is a great listener and really wants to help his patients.  He tries to spend the needed time with you in that first visit, then he will do the phone consults.  I am in San Jose so it was a couple hours drive.  He is empathetic and non-judgmental.  I have told my story to other docs who are not so and it is hard to work with them.  I liked his bedside manner more than any other doctor I have tired.  He is very open to having you control your own taper at your own speed which is good.  He can make recommendations, but understands that everyone is different.

He is also very busy, so I am finding that it takes a while to get your prescriptions filled (he has done mine through a compounding pharmacy which takes longer).  Still haven't gotten it.  I also realize it is going to take a few appointments to get all my questions answered.    I have a long history so the first visit was mostly bringing him up to speed on all of that.  I wrote out my health history and sent it in ahead of my visit, but he didn't have time to get to it until I arrived anyway.  Still I think it is helpful as he puts it in your file and will spend time going over it on his time and before your next consult.  There is also some paperwork to fill out so it helps to arrive a little early.

Dr. Madill did a genetics test for me.  It showed that I am an ultra rapid metabolizer of valium which is part of my problem.  It also tells you which drugs you have sensitivities to.  All in all, I liked him and glad I went and have him as a resource. 

My taper has been very difficult too.  Thought I would be long off by now.  I am super sensitive and my biggest problems seem to be constant interactions with OTC meds or supplements.  I need some of them to control other health issues, but they have made my taper/withdrawl worse due to unexpected reactions. 

Let me know how it goes for you. 

Best,

Sharkie :smitten: :smitten:

Can someone tell me if it is okay to take Maalox or Mylanta with Diazepam?  Also Gaviscon?  If so how far away from your D dosing?  I am getting mixed info on this.  Internet says it could block absorption of D making it less effective, but others do okay on it. 

Having trouble finding something for reflux relief that doesn't cause an interaction.  Tried 2 PPI's with problems and now Pepcid which is completely ramping up my withdrawl (although it isn't suppose to).  Pepcid was fine the first week, but now on week 2 and it is causing more and more problems.  Why would it ramp withdrawl? 

I am an ultra rapid metabolizer of diazepam (genetics test) so maybe that has something to do with it.  Any info helpful as I try to navigate taper and reflux together without misery.

Sharkie 

Can someone tell me if it is okay to take Maalox or Mylanta with Diazepam?  Also Gaviscon?  If so how far away from your D dosing?  I am getting mixed info on this.  Internet says it could block absorption of D making it less effective, but others do okay on it. 

Having trouble finding something for reflux relief that doesn't cause an interaction.  Tried 2 PPI's with problems and now Pepcid which is completely ramping up my withdrawl (although it isn't suppose to).  Pepcid was fine the first week, but now on week 2 and it is causing more and more problems.  Why would it ramp withdrawl? 

I am an ultra rapid metabolizer of diazepam (genetics test) so maybe that has something to do with it.  Any info helpful as I try to navigate taper and reflux together without misery.

Sharkie

Sharkie,

Reach out to Hope76 via PM. I think she has used those stomach medications and is also tapering valium.

Best,

Ed

Sharkie

Sharkie,

Reach out to Hope76 via PM. I think she has used those stomach medications and is also tapering valium.

Best,

Ed

I take d-limonene by Jarrow, Amazon, and it has been a Godsend with my Gerd, just need to drink plenty of water, a glass, so you won't have the orange peel burbs, I like that it does not make me feel funny like the other Gerd medications, I found out about this here at BB, honestly it is wonderful. :)

Sharkie

Hi sharkie  :hug: I would avoid Gaviscon, Maalox, and Mylanta as they all have Aluminium in and Aluminium stops the body absorbing minerals and can cause Osteoporosis and Osteopenia as can other Antacids  for the same reason. Read  information on the link below to see which ones you should avoid and which ones are okay. :)

Osteopenia Osteoporosis Antacids http://www.osteopenia3.com/Osteopenia-Osteoporosis-Antacids.html

love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Sharkie

[/quote

The last 5 days I have had bad all day nausea and stomach pains.  I assume this is a withdrawal symptom.  Mornings are the worse although now I am suffering in evening(which hasn't happened before).

Anyone have any teas or natural supplements they use to help with this?

Sharkie

Sharkie,

Best,

Ed

Sharkie,

I'm on the PPI Protonix.  I don't like being on it but I had really bad reflux and it was the only thing that helped me. I did The things you are supposed to

do like elevating the head of the bed, eating small frequent meals, low

acid diet. I tried Tums and Rolaids. I tried the maximum strength of Zantac

Which is in the same class as Pepcid. Only Protonix helped me. I researched the PpIs and while they can all increase V levels, Nexium and Prilosec are the worst offenders. Protonix had the least

Interaction according to my pharmacist. It hasn't caused me any problems

That I am aware of.

Just wanted to drop in, I am a member of this Support site, but tend to stay on two other support sites, but I would not be at 1 mg of Valium today, if not for Mountain Yogi, and her encouragement for me to try it, of course I balked, but the more she spoke of Liquid taper, the better it looked. And after a bad bout of nausea and slight up dose, I was able to continue with the Liquid taper and I have done well with it, I know some are not able to do it, we must all do what is best for us.

The Vets here know her well, and she is sorely missed, but she stood up for someone and things went haywire, but Yogi was like that she would stand up for what she believed was right. I miss her a lot, she was kind, smart and funny, and she was my Friend, one of the first here at BB, so she holds a dear place in my Heart.

I received good advice here for my Liquid taper, and heck Diaz Pam even posted how I should do it and a chart that helped me so much, and when I needed answers buddies here gave good advice. My Journey has been long, but I have been able to function and just have my famous little "blips", meaning that the sx have not been bad, and did not last for long, but for me I must go slow, in fact I intend to do a much longer hold, as I am tired, and so far it has been working for me, and I want to give my Brain more time to recoup from all of the tapering I have done.

I wish you all well and hope that your road to Recovery will be smooth. When it is Time for me, I am not jumping off, I am going to "Gently Walk Off" into hopefully a Normal Life. Peace. :)

Thank you all for your suggestions regarding reflux help.  I tried D-Limonene and I was one of those where it made my reflux 10 times worse.  :(

I have had an unusual reaction to PPI's.  Was on nexium during cross over to Diazepam and then tried Prevacid after going off Nexium due to interactions.    They both ramped up withdrawl when on them (just like the Pepcid) and then when I go off the PPI's, I have the biggest updosing experience.  No doctor can explain this as it is sort of paradoxical.  Usually, the PPI's cause some potentiation when on and withdrawl when going off.  So I'm opposite.  I have been scared to try Protonix after my other two experiences.  If it ramps withdrawl, I got to stop it and then I have the updosing which causes me to crash into horror withdawl when its over.  I haven't recovered from the Prevacid crash. 

Going off the Pepcid doesn't seem to do this, but if I'm on it too long, like over a week,  it also causes withdrawl.  I really don't know what to do and am sorely depressed about my options as the burning is bad.  I traveled to see Benzo wise Dr. Madill and he said it would be best to avoid the PPI's based on my experience.  I will consult with him again Wed to talk more about it.  This is new for him too.  Right now the osteoperosis issue is not as critical as currently protecting my esophogus.  So hence the questions about the gaviscon, mylanta as needed for relief.

Thanks for the help.  Glad you all have found relief that keeps your taper going without problems!

Anyone else have helpful insight, I'm appreciative.

Sharkie  :smitten:

Thank you all for your suggestions regarding reflux help.  I tried D-Limonene and I was one of those where it made my reflux 10 times worse.  :(

I have had an unusual reaction to PPI's.  Was on nexium during cross over to Diazepam and then tried Prevacid after going off Nexium due to interactions.    They both ramped up withdrawl when on them (just like the Pepcid) and then when I go off the PPI's, I have the biggest updosing experience.  No doctor can explain this as it is sort of paradoxical.  Usually, the PPI's cause some potentiation when on and withdrawl when going off.  So I'm opposite.  I have been scared to try Protonix after my other two experiences.  If it ramps withdrawl, I got to stop it and then I have the updosing which causes me to crash into horror withdawl when its over.  I haven't recovered from the Prevacid crash. 

Going off the Pepcid doesn't seem to do this, but if I'm on it too long, like over a week,  it also causes withdrawl.  I really don't know what to do and am sorely depressed about my options as the burning is bad.  I traveled to see Benzo wise Dr. Madill and he said it would be best to avoid the PPI's based on my experience.  I will consult with him again Wed to talk more about it.  This is new for him too.  Right now the osteoperosis issue is not as critical as currently protecting my esophogus.  So hence the questions about the gaviscon, mylanta as needed for relief.

Thanks for the help.  Glad you all have found relief that keeps your taper going without problems!

Anyone else have helpful insight, I'm appreciative.

Sharkie  :smitten:

Well I'm all out of ideas, Sharkie  :(

Begood, 1 mg, so proud of you!

Hey Grape!

How are you feeling? Think you'll be able to make that next cut in a little less than a week? Or will you hold for the holidays?

--Ed