Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Sharkie are you stabilizing at .8?

Hi Jackson,

Well its been 2 months and I would say that I am not stable, but definitely better in the last week and a half.  Symptoms still present, but less intense.  Larger windows of relief.  I haven't had an entire day sx free, but like I said when the waves come they are less intense, but still pretty bothersome.  I'm sleeping better.  I'm getting from dose to dose better (which was a real problem before).  Usually, my toughest times are in the late afternoon and evening.  Not sure why.  But sometimes mornings are hard too.

I'm going to see Dr. Peter Madill next week.  Just did the Genomind genetics test today and he should get it in time for my visit.  Just need a consult with someone Ashton wise, who can make sense of some of my drug interactions and possibly what to do.  Want to see how I metabolize the drugs, etc. 

I actually made a tiny cut to 7.75 just to see if I got any worse.  Don't think so.  Been there for a week now.  Holding there for a few more days and see what happens.  I'd like to stabalize more, but also want off so I can address my other health issues that are worsening because I can't take the supps needed to help them.  Will talk about all of this with the doc next week.

Are you doing any better?

Sharkie :smitten:

Oh are you on Ativan or Valium? At .8 or 7.75?

Sorry confused

I have to update my sig too

I had to add in neurontin

I was heading fof a hospital

Very kindled

At 1.0 mg Valium

Lmk how madill goes! And your test. Where is he located?

Hope you continue to feel ok

Jackson, Is the neurontin helping you?  I am asking the Dr. to up mine, he only gave me 100mg at bedtime and it does nothing.  Thanks and hopingg you are doing better.  I am in burning awful pain also.

Yes it did help

I tried taking a little like 100-300 per day but it wasn't enough bc I am staving off acute at 1mg from kindling

I am now on 600 mg (200 three times daily)

It helps w burning and prickling and chest pain

I went from writhing in agony in a fetal position to hiking and last night doing yoga

However is it halting my recovery ? I do not know

I know I could not survive what I have experience the last 25 days

I was headed for a hospital no joke.

So yes it works

I was told to follow my nervous system and don't settle on an arbitrary number

I was told to contain the storm first

Jackson,

I'm so very thankful that you've found some relief. By the sounds of things, your sx were simply inhumane.

What is your plan going forward? To taper off of the V, catch your wind, then taper off of the gaba?

Best,

Ed

Thank you Ed

I am scared I have now 3 problems: Valium, remeron now neurontin

But... Many ppl are in this position

I was never on any meds it's crazy

Yes plan is to follow up w doctor

See if I hold another month to "stabilize" the. Taper off rest of valum over I don't know 6 mos? I don't know. Something feels wrong neurochemically

Then yes one by one neurontin then remeron

I am fine w being on remeron for a long while

I just wish I knew why I was hit so hard at 1mg.

Going to the neurologist today. My doctor said I needed a consult as he is unclear what is happening

So glad you got relief.  Some people have no problem coming off the neurontin so I wouldn't worry about it.  Let us know what the neurologist says but my bet is they won't find anything.  I hope my Dr will up my gabapentin but I think it won't be a problem.  I am on other meds and also a much higher dose than you.  Don't worry about that now, just get some relief.  It is what I am hoping as I can't function. 

Jackson,

I have a feeling you'll be just fine. Your system just needs a little re-calibrating. I'd be willing to bet that you stabilize on the gaba and then can taper off the valium successfully.  Don't put a timeline on it. Also, I agree with Free, I'd bet dollars to donuts that nothing is found. Just part and parcel for the road we're now traveling.

Free,

I do hope you gain some relief with an increased level of gaba. You've been suffering for too long and I'm with you in spirit.

Best to both of you,

Ed

Popping back in with a less positive update less than 24 hours later. Doesn't that always happen? lol... anyway, I started having heart palpitations yesterday earlier in the day, actually before that post, if I'm not mistaken. Toward the evening, they got really crazy. Once I was in bed for the night, they were happening every few minutes. Feels like my heart is sinking in my chest every time. I ended up sleeping well anyway but still had a few more palps upon waking up.

It's funny that this happened the day before my cut, just like the vertigo happened the day before one of my previous cuts (this last one? the one before? i don't remember at this point). I didn't let that stop me then and I'm not planning to let this stop me either.

Right now, I feel like my heart rate is elevated, which is unusual for me since I'm on metoprolol, and it just feels like my heart is pumping much harder than usual. This is all normal though, right? I have no history of heart problems (the metoprolol is for blood pressure, not history of heart attack). I really don't want to go see my doc because I was supposed to be off benzos by the end of August, I think. He's one of those "withdrawal is over in 30 days" guys and he would probably end up diagnosing me with something I don't really have right now.

I'm OK to just sit and wait this out, right?

Dear SandP,

You'll be fine. Straight from the Ashton manual:

Heart and lungs. Palpitations, pounding heart, rapid pulse, flushing, sweating, and breathlessness are usual accompaniments of panic attacks, but may occur without panics. They do not signify heart or lung disease but are simply the expression of an overactive autonomic nervous system. Slow deep breathing and relaxation, as described under panic attacks, can do much to control these symptoms. Do not worry about them: they would be accepted as normal if you were running for a bus, and will do no more harm than if you really were!

Hang in there. You're almost through!

Best,

Ed

Thank you Ed, you always come through when I need reassurance! :smitten: I'm wondering if my reinstatement of caffeine might have a little something to do with this. Yet I'm thinking about going and grabbing some iced coffee from the fridge regardless... hehe! SUCH a rebel. *sarcasm* :laugh:

Thank you Ed, you always come through when I need reassurance! :smitten: I'm wondering if my reinstatement of caffeine might have a little something to do with this. Yet I'm thinking about going and grabbing some iced coffee from the fridge regardless... hehe! SUCH a rebel. *sarcasm* :laugh:

I wouldn't SNIFF caffeine until this is over. That's just me though.

I'm just ranting. I hope that's okay. I went to my son's basketball game tonight and I seriously could barely see WITH my glasses. I was so upset. Everything is so, so blurry. I went to eye dr last year and she said no changes in vision but now I cannot be without my glasses ever and the world is fuzzy even with them on. Are you guys sure this is benzo related? I'm so scared. What do people mean by visual snow???? I was terrified driving kids home. Freeway signs all blurry too. I mean, I am so tempted to updose just to make sure. It seems to be getting worse--and yes, I did try to dry cut a tiny bit last few days---I guess this really isn't the way but I am trying to get down to 6mg--but between stiff hands/wrists--numb arms at night while I sleep--and this vision stuff, I'm flipping out. What I wouldn't do for a glass of wine. Thanks for listening.

Blue

Blue I had this several weeks ago

I didn't realize it meant to slow down my taper

I went to eye doc

All ok

I was wearing contacts then stopped

It went back to normal

Now I have a host of other acute freaking symptoms

It's withdrawal

Pretty sure

Thank you, Jackson! I needed a response tonight. My vision has been bad since I began taper but that tiny dry cut two days ago has somehow made  things really bad. Did you hold or updose? Sounds like it resolved quickly?

Thanks!

I was down to 1mg and hit what feels like acute

I would hold if I were u or even Tony updose

I kindled so am holding but updose won't get me anywhere

I added gabapentin unfortunately it brought me from close to hospitalization to ok

I was working four weeks ago. Don't go by me though. It was the 1mg v mark that hit me. The eye thing was weird.. I could barely see w mg contacts

It's resolved

I'm just ranting. I hope that's okay. I went to my son's basketball game tonight and I seriously could barely see WITH my glasses. I was so upset. Everything is so, so blurry. I went to eye dr last year and she said no changes in vision but now I cannot be without my glasses ever and the world is fuzzy even with them on. Are you guys sure this is benzo related? I'm so scared. What do people mean by visual snow???? I was terrified driving kids home. Freeway signs all blurry too. I mean, I am so tempted to updose just to make sure. It seems to be getting worse--and yes, I did try to dry cut a tiny bit last few days---I guess this really isn't the way but I am trying to get down to 6mg--but between stiff hands/wrists--numb arms at night while I sleep--and this vision stuff, I'm flipping out. What I wouldn't do for a glass of wine. Thanks for listening.

Blue

Blue, have you gone to a regular doctor about this? And do you ever check your blood pressure? I had high blood pressure for years and as soon as I hit age 30 (I'm 35 now), my vision went blurry from it. It went back to normal as soon as I got on metoprolol. I know a lot of people do have vision issues during their taper so it's totally possible that that's all it is, but it doesn't hurt to get everything checked to be sure.

thanks, solace. I did have everything checked last year when this hell began. nothing showed up so I chalk it up to benzos but there is always that scary gnawing idea that there is something else going on. i guess it's part of the process. so much fun.

I wouldn't SNIFF caffeine until this is over. That's just me though.

I felt the same, and then a latte called my name! :laugh: No, but seriously, the fact that I'm even willing to take any sort of chance is a good sign, I think. I'm not really the taking chances type, especially when it comes to health stuff. I've been a big ball of health anxiety for years. I promise there will be no alcohol in my life for a good long while, but caffeine seems to be OK so far. I haven't had any alcohol in about a year and a half and I'm honestly thinking about going a full two years more past the end of this taper just to make sure that I don't get thrown back into WDs. I keep debating if I should wait one year or two. Definitely at least one, though. I've never been a big drinker, just an occasional social drinker, but boy do I ever miss the taste of Guinness. I can't wait to celebrate all this with a nice black and tan eventually. Mmm. Memories! :)

I recently thought there was something wrong with my glasses as I could hardly see out of right eye.

Kept cleaning glasses lol

Realised my vision was completely blurred in right eye only.

Resolved after 2 days😀

I have also learnt to check the Ashton Manual symptom list for any weird and wonderful sxs and usually find it listed there.s

Anyone tapering in UK

This is how I have been tapering for the last year or so.

Hope it may help others.

I did the dissolving 1 mg Valium in 100 ml of whole milk .

It went ok but I would get terrible brain fog and pull the wrong amount too often.

I then got Actavis  liquid Valium, uk only as far as I know.

It is 5 ml = 2 mg

Actavis are the only manufacturer of liquid Valium in UK.

My GP prescribes me 2 100 mil bottles at a time.

This is the easy bit (hopefully)

Get a 1 mil syringe from pharmacist.

I bought a box of 100 online for £10.

If you want to withdraw 1 mg over 24 days simply pull 2.4 mils of liquid Valium and squirt into glass. That's 2 full 1 mil syringes and .4. Top up with some water and swivel glass and drink.

Rinse glass a few times drinking each time, to get any residue.

Next day pull 2.3 mils and so on.

To drop 1 mg in 48 days pull 2.4 mils for two days then 2.3 and so on.

Currently I am on my way down to 1 mg from 20 mgs.

I pull 2.4 for 3 days then 2.3 for 3 days .... this will take 72 days.

I also did a few mgs at 2.4 for 3 days then 2.3 for 2 days and so on took about 60 days.

You could do 4 day holds which would take 96 days.

One other tip is before dropping syringe contents into glass wipe sticky syrupy Valium from outside of syringe as it sometimes drips into glass messing up dose.

I use a scale to measure the other 1 mg in pill form as the liquid costs £25 a bottle and I am saving NHS a few quid.

You can always hold if sxs ramp up at any dose.

I have not had to do this so far.

I have never made a mistake in dosing as I did using milk.

Sorry for long post but wanted to pass this on.