Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

SD,

Sorry if I came across as if your u were minimizing it. I didn't mean to sound like that.

I have had all sorts of these crazy sxs. Most of the time they can be accepted and just lived with until they pass. I have had everything in the book. Even a week in hospital with a tube in my stomach. Joint and muscle stuff galore. Ocular migraines with loss of vision etc.

I only meant this is a deeper more debilitating pain that I never had before so I thought maybe others have had it.

Your responses are super and I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks again for adding your experience :thumbsup:

ATU

ATU,

I'm going to have to go with the 150 lb slab as the cause superimposed on top of withdrawal.  I know my muscles are not in top shape right now and I'm pretty much a big ball of spasm all the time, so you probably aggravated something with that heavy lifting.  I imagine it may take you a week at least to feel better if you have a pulled muscle.  Try alternating heat and/or ice, resting, ibuprofen, and gentle stretching when things are a little better.  Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Hope

Hope76,

That's exactly my plan. I do seem to get as much or more relief albeit temporary from the alternating heat/ cold applications.

I'm also supposed to get a massage on Tuesday but Izvestia never gotten one before so not sure what to expect or even if it's a good idea.

This pain has been hanging around for about 8 days already so it has outstayed its welcome.  :thumbsup:

I guess I work myself up at times like this when new sxs show up as well.

Take care and thanks for chiming in.

ATU

Hope76,

That's exactly my plan. I do seem to get as much or more relief albeit temporary from the alternating heat/ cold applications.

I'm also supposed to get a massage on Tuesday but Izvestia never gotten one before so not sure what to expect or even if it's a good idea.

This pain has been hanging around for about 8 days already so it has outstayed its welcome.  :thumbsup:

I guess I work myself up at times like this when new sxs show up as well.

Take care and thanks for chiming in.

ATU

The massage should be helpful.  I have been getting them every few weeks since I recovered from my breast cancer surgery in June (one of the perks of cancer-free massages at the cancer center).  They benefits don't last long (I'm still tight afterwards lol) but they are relaxing while having it done and definitely shouldn't cause more pain.  You can tell them how much pressure you are comfortable with and they can adjust accordingly.  My therapist always says "you are SO tight."  She knows I'm on a Valium taper, so I'm like "yep, still in withdrawal."  My back is just a solid knot that probably won't be coming undone for quite some time.  Some days it hurts worse than others. fortunately the pain is not horrific so I can mostly ignore it.  Too stubborn to take anything unless it's really bad.

Hope76,

Thanks for sharing that with me. I know it sounds a little weird but I have this "thing" about a stranger touching me. That why I never had one before but I think it could be beneficial so I'll do it.

All the muscle tension I have experienced up to this point has always been temporary. Maybe now at this point I should expect and accept a regularly tight back!

:smitten:

ATU

Hi everyone

I have been tapering since last February after a cold turkey exactly a year ago then fast taper nightmare

I am at 1.16 Valium currently

I keep getting sick

Wondering what you would do?

I had pneumonia a month ago

Now I am sick again and checking to see if it's back

Never felt this bad - hard to walk etc

I was hiking 2 hours a day and functioning (sort of) before pneumonia

Should I hold my taper? Anyone had this? I am scared and also need to do this taper already

Tapering at 1 ml per day currently

I'd definitely put the taper on hold until you get your health back. I kept tapering through a bad cold (flu?) and my CNS/internal thermostat went haywire. Our systems are already under enough duress--there's no need to pile on.  Just my two cents.

Best,

Ed

I agree wth edzo8, why make things worse. I would hold where I am until my health is back to baseline.

There is no hurry with this taper business. In fact to continue tapering while ill may mean having to updose at some later date.

Hope you are feeling better soon jackson1  :thumbsup:

ATU

[44...]

I also recommend holding until your health returns. It will. Pneumonia can take time to recover from, especially if you have asthma.

I actually updosed at one point in my current taper due to health issues. In my case it was a bad bicycle accident, but the principle is the same. I had tapered from 10 down to 1.6, but updosed back to 2 after my bike accident in June. Held at 2 for about a month, then resumed my taper with 1.9, 1.8, etc. This added a couple months to the taper, but it was necessary - I couldn't deal with the withdrawal symptoms on top of trying to recover from the accident. Eventually I got back on track and I am now doing well at 0.6mg / day and expecting to be off in a month or two. Originally I had expected to be off by my birthday (which is Oct 14). Sigh. The important thing is you'll eventually get there. It's not a race. Time is the best healer. A hold will give you more healing time both from the benzos and the pneumonia.

HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY CHESS!! you have come such a long way and i believe are worthy of a lengthy b-day celebration. so let the celebration begin! :happybday:

Hi all, I see synchronicity here. I too have a cold/'flu hanging on. Returned to work on Friday and then have been just draining all weekend. Finally resorted to Benedryl because I coughed so much my head was aching. I'm excited because I'm almost down to 10 mg and I didn't feel the mental stuff, so I continued after holding for a day. Now I think, based on your posts (Thanks esp. to edzo8) that I will hold. I have gotten sick 6 times since I moved to Cal a year and a half ago. Typically I would have one bad cold per year. And I only started my taper on July 17. I was in tolerance w/d. So I don't know. Now it's starting to get cold out. I really hope this is the last one of these in a while. HM

Well, I thought I'd take a moment to check in. I noticed that my vertigo is behaving more like BPPV as opposed to the central vertigo that I experienced in the past, and I also had this BPPV type of vertigo last year during my Ativan taper.

The difference is that in the past, the attacks were random and not related to head movement, and it affected my balance for a long time afterward. I once had an hour long attack and could hardly walk for three months, the floor felt like jello and my sense of balance was just completely wiped.

This time, it's specifically when I roll over in bed, stand up, or lie down. Other than being exhausted from the many short attacks, I'm not affected at other times. I think I'll even be able to get back to work later this week.

The parallel I'm drawing is between benzo WD and BPPV type vertigo. The type I was having before was different and damaging. This does seem truly benign. My doctor believes my previous problem had to do with high blood pressure and I do too. I'm going to move forward on the assumption that this is presently WD related and if it continues once I'm off benzos, I'll go and get it checked out. They have made me even more sick with nausea pills and Epley maneuvers in the past, so I'd rather not go there unless it becomes a necessity. I fought for an MRI with several doctors and finally gave up.

Anyway; sorry that was so long. I feel like I repeated myself a million times. Interesting side note... I feel like my sense of smell is super sharp right now. Almost like my nose is too open. That and a little bit of head pain is all I've had with this cut so far. I'm actually enjoying these few days of bed rest. Watching TV which is something I never do. Benadryl for sleep which seems to help with the vertigo too. Feeling pretty positive most of the time even though it broke my heart to have my world spin again. It has been pretty mild so I'm trying to keep it in perspective and deal with the PTSD issues that were caused by the attack I mentioned previously. Accepting not being in control is really a tough one for me.

Hope you're all doing well!

Yep, defo going to hold. Woke with anxiety this morning. Not too bad. I feel like a phlegm monster. No fever or serious stuff though. I think it's detox as I've changed my diet and eliminated some things recently.

S and P enjoy your rest and good that you differentiate and not worry too much.

I only have 5 mg left of the 30 temaz.crossover that ends sunday. I really wanted to stop valium at 10 mg. Right now I'm at 9.5

And still getting sxs like anxiety heaviness in chest always after 6pm.. So i guess ithis means i continue to increase valium until i stabilize wirh no interdose withdrawal.,?  Please respond. No support other than this forum. Dr just writes scripts.

Thank you all

Yes I will hold

I had pneumonia and now slammed w a virus. This is getting scary. So far docs don't think it's a recurrence of the pneumonia just bad virus or something but omg I feel so so sick

I think benzo accentuates the illness and I am so bummed as I hoped to ride the end of this on a high note.  I feel scared and beaten down.

I am at 1.15 and will hold that tonight. I can't handle any withdrawal on top of this. It feels so unmanageable with looping thoughts fear and just plain sickness feeling

I keep wondering should I go to ER? Should I stay put? Went to doc and did xray. Yesterday my xray was normal so he just said you got a bad cold or virus and did a culture. Ugh. Sorry to complain

So glad chess you are doing so well. Gives me hope!!

Thank you all

Yes I will hold

I had pneumonia and now slammed w a virus. This is getting scary. So far docs don't think it's a recurrence of the pneumonia just bad virus or something but omg I feel so so sick

I think benzo accentuates the illness and I am so bummed as I hoped to ride the end of this on a high note.  I feel scared and beaten down.

I am at 1.15 and will hold that tonight. I can't handle any withdrawal on top of this. It feels so unmanageable with looping thoughts fear and just plain sickness feeling

I keep wondering should I go to ER? Should I stay put? Went to doc and did xray. Yesterday my xray was normal so he just said you got a bad cold or virus and did a culture. Ugh. Sorry to complain

So glad chess you are doing so well. Gives me hope!!

It is normal and natural to have heightened concerns while you are sick during tapering. I was worried out of my wits because I felt so awful in the same situation. Just do your best to lay back, relax, and breathe. Trust me, I know how it feels. It will pass and then you can continue with your taper in due time.

All the Best,

Ed

Yep, defo going to hold. Woke with anxiety this morning. Not too bad. I feel like a phlegm monster. No fever or serious stuff though. I think it's detox as I've changed my diet and eliminated some things recently.

Thank you so much! I hope that you and everyone else are having a decent night though it seems like a lot of us are having a difficult time right now.

Brand new symptom tonight and last night that I forgot to mention... chills and cold sweats. Feels kinda like a fever but not quite. This is much more what I imagined withdrawal to be like. Hot, cold, shaky, sweaty. My family has been sweet enough to deal with a little air conditioning in the evenings even though they're comfortable without it. It helps a lot.

I've been watching old sitcoms like The Jeffersons, Good Times, Sanford & Son, and The Golden Girls the past few nights since I'm stuck in the bedroom and we have an old TV set in here that's not HD, has no DVR, and doesn't get as many channels. That has been nice. I have a tendency to put shows on as background noise and work on things while I just listen, but I've really been chilling out and actually watching. Even watching commercials! Lol. I feel like it's the good old days before I became a workaholic. If it weren't for the vertigo, this little bed rest break wouldn't be so bad! ;)

As tough as the past few days have been, I really feel like I'm coming alive emotionally at this cut. Less robotic and more like the real me. I forgot this version of me existed. I'm pretty excited to welcome her back. Kind of a rebirth. Well, births are painful, right? But worth it. Lol :thumbsup:

Thank you so much! I hope that you and everyone else are having a decent night though it seems like a lot of us are having a difficult time right now.

Brand new symptom tonight and last night that I forgot to mention... chills and cold sweats. Feels kinda like a fever but not quite. This is much more what I imagined withdrawal to be like. Hot, cold, shaky, sweaty. My family has been sweet enough to deal with a little air conditioning in the evenings even though they're comfortable without it. It helps a lot.

I've been watching old sitcoms like The Jeffersons, Good Times, Sanford & Son, and The Golden Girls the past few nights since I'm stuck in the bedroom and we have an old TV set in here that's not HD, has no DVR, and doesn't get as many channels. That has been nice. I have a tendency to put shows on as background noise and work on things while I just listen, but I've really been chilling out and actually watching. Even watching commercials! Lol. I feel like it's the good old days before I became a workaholic. If it weren't for the vertigo, this little bed rest break wouldn't be so bad! ;)

As tough as the past few days have been, I really feel like I'm coming alive emotionally at this cut. Less robotic and more like the real me. I forgot this version of me existed. I'm pretty excited to welcome her back. Kind of a rebirth. Well, births are painful, right? But worth it. Lol :thumbsup:

Great news SandP!  Obviously I'm not referring to the chills and sweats  ;D , but to the fact that you're coming alive again. I've read many people on their way to recovery who mention the same thing. It's really happening for you! Congratulations!

I'm with you on the TV. I've finally started on the mini series The Wire. This is something that I never had time to before and I've put off for over 10 years!  I guess it is a positive thing that this taper forces us to slow down a bit and simplify things.

I also read that your recurrence of vertigo may actually be withdrawal induced rather than your original version? I pray this is the case and that would be as good a bit of news as you could hope to have.

I hope you have a great day and please continue to offer up progress reports.

Congratulations again!

Ed

Hello All - I'm back and looking for some insight - I updosed on Friday from 6mg Valium to 6.5 mg Valium and I'm still having horrific anxiety - It mostly hits me in the late morning and is awful until my evening dose - Bc I'm still on pills I'm taking 3mg AM and 3.5 mg PM - Could this be the problem? Should I switch the lower dose to nightime? I'm already having a difficult time sleeping

Honestly - I've never liked the Valium - it really just doesnt sit well with me - I feel depressed and dark on it and the anxiety is HORRIFIC.......I have a host of physical issues right now including two swollen lymph nodes on the back of my neck - thats REALLY freaking me out - I do have a bonified Thyroid issue and I'm having yet more blood work done tomorrow (was supposed to go today but couldnt get to the lab) - So I have two thoughts here - Did other people have issues on Valium after doing a cross over from their original drug? and how do you know when to chase down a symptom and when to write it off as withdrawal.......If I chased down every symptom I have I'd spend my life at different Dr's offices and lord knows what drugs would be prescribed - at the same time I have that "health fear" - "What if I miss something BIG"  (god forbid)

Can anyone chime in?

1. Should I change my dosing somehow

2. Do others have a harder time with the Valium than the previous drug (in my case, Klonipin)

3. How do you know when to chase down a symptom and when to let it go

4. How do I deal with this INSANE anxiety

Are most of these questions better on another thread??? SIGH.........

Fight

P.S. I have such guilt here not being able to contribute more to others - I hope I stableize more and am able to focus enough to  read other peoples posts and give back a little soon......thank you all for reading

Hello All - I'm back and looking for some insight - I updosed on Friday from 6mg Valium to 6.5 mg Valium and I'm still having horrific anxiety - It mostly hits me in the late morning and is awful until my evening dose - Bc I'm still on pills I'm taking 3mg AM and 3.5 mg PM - Could this be the problem? Should I switch the lower dose to nightime? I'm already having a difficult time sleeping

Honestly - I've never liked the Valium - it really just doesnt sit well with me - I feel depressed and dark on it and the anxiety is HORRIFIC.......I have a host of physical issues right now including two swollen lymph nodes on the back of my neck - thats REALLY freaking me out - I do have a bonified Thyroid issue and I'm having yet more blood work done tomorrow (was supposed to go today but couldnt get to the lab) - So I have two thoughts here - Did other people have issues on Valium after doing a cross over from their original drug? and how do you know when to chase down a symptom and when to write it off as withdrawal.......If I chased down every symptom I have I'd spend my life at different Dr's offices and lord knows what drugs would be prescribed - at the same time I have that "health fear" - "What if I miss something BIG"  (god forbid)

Can anyone chime in?

1. Should I change my dosing somehow

2. Do others have a harder time with the Valium than the previous drug (in my case, Klonipin)

3. How do you know when to chase down a symptom and when to let it go

4. How do I deal with this INSANE anxiety

Are most of these questions better on another thread??? SIGH.........

Fight

P.S. I have such guilt here not being able to contribute more to others - I hope I stableize more and am able to focus enough to  read other peoples posts and give back a little soon......thank you all for reading

First off, never EVER feel guilty about your level of contribution. Everyone gives what they can offer and that evolves and vacillates over time. Offer what you can. Any info will always be helpful to those down the road-- even in the form of you asking questions and getting responses.

1) I've heard of some people actually going to 3 doses from 2 doses to combat interdose wd. Some say it doesn't matter due to the long half life of Valium, but everyone's system is different.

2) I actually feel about the same levels of anxiety now on Valium as I did on Ativan before my crossover.  There was a period where I didn't have nasty anxiety from 15mg down to about 7 or 8mg. After that, the anxiety has pretty much persisted to this very day.

3) I've had pretty intensive blood tests done in order to rule out "real" issues.  I'm honestly not sure what to do beyond this.

4)  Anxiety sucks. Breathing is the main way I combat it. The other think that sometimes helps with anxiety (for me) is protein.  I rotate in organic chicken/turkey/beef and wild caught salmon. I'm not sure why it helps me, but it does. I've tried magnesium for anxiety, but that hasn't worked for me. But it has for others.

I hope some of this helps.

Best,

Ed

Thank you , Ed - you have been so kind in responding to all my rambling! very much appreciated.......

Maybe I'll talk to my Dr about 3 doses but I can barely remember to take the 2 (I was forgetting a lot for awhile - better now) - I have two young kids and a VERY active husband - (For instance, I just found a book in his nightstand titled 'Say NO to Vanilla. The 5 keys to living life at FULL THROTTLE'  :o  - he coaches every sport for my kids, commissioner of one of the sports, owns his own business, is up at 5am working out each morning, and luckily for me - is a VERY engaged Dad) - but we are BUSY and I am forgetful on the rare day that I have next to NOTHING to accomplish........

I seriously want to move back to Klonipin but that makes the liquid micro tapering harder I think and my Dr doesnt think its a good idea at this point - but I HATE the Valium.......This anxiety is AWFUL but it could also be my thyroid contributing -

What a mess this is - seriously - how in this day and age - can this happen to people!!!!!! Never in a million years did I dream this is where I would be at 47 - NEVER

......... cooking a hamburger now!

Thank you!

Just as it takes time for Valium to build up, it takes time for an updose to take effect...-10  days would not be unusual. 

Builder,

Since you're floating around and are one of the math gurus here, I have a question at your leisure.

If a person were to taper off Valium at .01mg per day all the way down to zero, how much valium would be left in the system on the final cut? We'll just assume the half life is 48 hours.

If anyone else wants to give it a shot, please feel free.

Many thanks,

Ed

Thank you, Builder - This gives me hope!

Thank GOD for those who have stuck around after recovery to help those of use in the thick of it - Bless you!

I hope to one day give back!