Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Solace, I sympathize.  I had a life threatening case of CDiff in 2011 which started the benzo go round, I had so much diarrhea, nausea etc.  Dr. gave me a prescription cream that helped and also suppositories.  I was in the hospital for 4 days and in very bad shape. Cdiff affects the brain also because its a gut infection and anything that affects the gut affects the brain and vice versa.  I am now dealing with constipation also.  So distressing.  I don't get out much but I am going to try the aloe vera gels next.  Magnesium glycinate gave me awful anxiety.  I hope you feel better soon and also use those Prep H wipes and try to pat not wipe. So sad you also have the burning legs.  I have it in my mouth, urinary area and feet and lower legs mostly.  Its beyond awful.  Hope we both get relief soon.  I wish I could cut like you but I just am so sick right now I am going to hold here for a little while and see if this pain settles some.  Keep up the good work and hope the other issue clears up.

Thank you freeme. Desitin Ultra Strength is my go-to. It's the zinc oxide in it that brings relief and lets you heal. The paint-like consistency is almost annoying but it is also very protective. I don't remember how I stumbled upon the recommendation of that for hemorrhoids  (your first thought is of course, "Diaper rash cream???) but it is a miracle. I was miserable last time and the prescription cream didn't quite do the trick.

Today was day five and I finally felt the cut. It was still pretty mild, but dizziness, head pain, and jaw pain/stiffness. Forgot to note that I've been having one heart palpitation every night too. Just one. Sometime between 9pm and midnight, it feels like my heart sinks. But then it's business as usual. So I ignore it.

I managed a full day of work today even though I was dizzy, which is awesome because that's the symptom that really freaks me out since I fear its charming friend vertigo! I just kept telling myself it was temporary and went about my business.

I'm nervous about the next cut because I'll be going to once-a-day dosing. Such a psychological hurdle. I was worried when switching to 3x and then 2x as well, but it was super easy. I liked not needing my pills with me when I leave the house. But 1x per day? Yikes. It seems too long in between. But I either have to do that at this cut or the next, so might as well get it over with. That's not until October 1st so we'll file this one under overthinking. ::)

I am so confused.  At 40% crossed over from temazapam to valium.

I don't understand how Valium is 2 times the strength of Temazepam when Temazepam produces such serious withdrawal .So potency and short acting dependency are 2 different variables ??  Can someone explain.  It appears temaz has a potency variable of .5  valium  1 and kolonopin 20????

I am so confused.  At 40% crossed over from temazapam to valium.

I don't understand how Valium is 2 times the strength of Temazepam when Temazepam produces such serious withdrawal .So potency and short acting dependency are 2 different variables ??  Can someone explain.  It appears temaz has a potency variable of .5  valium  1 and kolonopin 20????

I don't have knowledge of potency so someone else will perhaps share their expertise there, but the long half life of Valium (how long it stays in your system) is the reason that you're able to have a smoother taper on it. Where you'll feel the cut within hours on certain benzos, it's days on Valium, so it all hits you very gradually.

For me, Ativan tapering was a mess. I handled it decently up to a point but then my world became very scary and it was just too much for me (details in first half of signature). Valium was a total lifesaver. I could not have gotten to where I am without it. I don't know what the future holds, but I'm at the equivalent of 0.20 mg Ativan as I type this, and I could never ever have made it this far on Ativan. No way. And believe me, I wanted to.

How are you feeling on your crossover?

1 month ago I realized I was addicted. Typical night 1 15mg temaz.  2hrs sleep.  2nd 15mg temaz 2 hours.  That's it. I was at  tolerance.  It took a week of he'll and withdrawals and dr appt to get a crossover plan in motion.  I don't understand how others who have reached tolerance on temazepam can soldier through without valium. I am no 40 % crossed at 6.5 v. So hoping to max out at 10 v as my fatigue and lack of motivation is high.  6 months ago I  had a busy career and worked fom morning til 5 or 6.  That ended.  I'm learning to not resist as much and beat myself up.  As a young single mother of 2 boys 20 years ago temazapam was my friend always at low doses.  Now she is my poison.

I call benzos my poison too. "Gotta go take my poison, ugh." ::) It sounds like you have a good attitude toward things and that will go a long way. You will get your life back! We all will. We just have to have patience with the journey.

You asked if my V taper has been smooth or bumpy... definitely mostly smooth with a few bumps! I have often said that I've only had bad hours and not bad days. I was actually having much more anxiety before my taper than during.

My symptoms have mostly been physical, pretty much all the possible types but in tiny amounts. The predominant ones have been headaches, pain in temples, and burning stomach and legs. Oh and I now chew a piece of gum once a day during work to relieve the jaw tension! I do jaw massage too, but the gum works even better. Weird, but whatever works, right?

I've had many telling me to slow down. My doc dictated the pace but I do have one extra prescription so I can slow down if needed, but until I see a real reason to, I'm sticking to the plan. This has been a rougher cut than most, with dizziness and the shakes returning, but I still managed to do full work days and even stay busy on the weekend, so I'm soldiering on.

I hope it continues to go well, SandP. Your upcoming 2 to 1 cut is a biggie. It took me months to go from 2 to 1. I went 2, 1.9, 1.8, 1.7, 1.6, 1.5, 1.4, 1.3, 1.2, 1.1, 1 holding at each level for at least a week and in some cases a month. I can't imagine doing that cut all at once. But then, my symptoms are different - insomnia and anxiety mainly - so maybe we're not really comparable. For me, years of taking benzos (mostly Ativan) got me really addicted. I feel like my long slow descent from 2mgV to 1mgV is what finally "broke" my addiction - that's when I started to heal. I had to take that phase really slow. Below 1mg now, I am feeling a lot better.

CP

How do I cut from 2 mg of Valium on a slow taper?

I was advised to cut 10% so I cut the 2 mg pill in quarters and took 3/4 of it /

So how long should i do this before I cut again.

Is 2 weeks ok? for each cut? Thanks

Rough day but I got through it. My BP went down to 90/59 (I'm on metoprolol for high BP and that usually keeps me at 117/70). Every now and then (seems like it coincides with the seasons changing) I go through this where it gets a little too low for a few days and I feel a little lightheaded and weak-legged. I don't want to reduce my dose -- tried it before and it didn't work well enough. Don't want to change meds as I enjoy the calm heart rate and the anti-anxiety effects. So anyway, I just put up with it and wait for it to pass. It always does.

I think that was actually what was causing the dizziness earlier in the week. Hard to be sure but in hindsight it felt like it always does. WD wise, I'm having some ear pressure and some burning here and there. My anxiety has definitely popped up again in the last few days, even had a little panic attack tonight over the BP and symptoms, but I let it pass and got back to work.

For a moment I started to consider postponing my next cut, but then I realized it's too soon to even think about it. No need to stress about it right now when I have no idea how I'll be feeling by October 1st. Overthinking is what got me here! No more of that!

Overall, despite the difficulties, I put in a full day of work and had some TV time with my partner and even a little chat with my mom. Gotta keep looking on the bright side. :thumbsup: I'm SO close to freedom from this poison!

I hope it continues to go well, SandP. Your upcoming 2 to 1 cut is a biggie. It took me months to go from 2 to 1. I went 2, 1.9, 1.8, 1.7, 1.6, 1.5, 1.4, 1.3, 1.2, 1.1, 1 holding at each level for at least a week and in some cases a month. I can't imagine doing that cut all at once. But then, my symptoms are different - insomnia and anxiety mainly - so maybe we're not really comparable. For me, years of taking benzos (mostly Ativan) got me really addicted. I feel like my long slow descent from 2mgV to 1mgV is what finally "broke" my addiction - that's when I started to heal. I had to take that phase really slow. Below 1mg now, I am feeling a lot better.

CP

This is the cut I'm most nervous about. Not only is it a 50% cut but it's going from 2x daily dosing to 1x. It's gone so well so far that it's hard to imagine it all suddenly taking an awful turn... I mean my Ativan taper was uncomfortable the whole time and it gradually became a nightmare, didn't sneak up on me. I hope I'm not being naive. I just want to keep moving forward until and unless I really can't.

I just noticed... bad day and guess what day it was? Day eight. :laugh: Every time! Well, probably better that I didn't anticipate it this time. At least I can believe that tomorrow will be better. Day two and day eight are always the rough ones.

Thank you for your support and for sharing your experience! It is so nice to have not been alone in all of this. Grateful for everyone here!

:smitten:

SandP,

You're doing great and there's no reason to think you won't continue to do so.  Actually, as you say, don't even think about future cuts at this point. You're doing all the right things and continuing to stay busy.  I, for one, can't wait to read your success story!

Best,

Ed

Thank you so much, Ed! Your supportive words have meant the world to me! We are definitely stronger for having gone through all of this. That's the one thing that is crystal clear even in my bad moments! :smitten:

solaceandpeace I just happened to notice you are planning to go from 2 mg to 1 mg V? I got into big problems going too quickly from 2 mg down. Not saying that would definitely happen to you, but if you are already feeling a bit more off than usual, I recommend responding accordingly. Is there a reason to rush your taper? I know we all want to be off, but really we all want to be healthy. If you have 2 mg pills it is very easy to cut them in quarters, I even learned how to cut mine in eighths. You could try cutting 0.5 mg and if you feel great, go ahead and drop the other 0.5 mg. I had to do 0.25 mg cuts every two weeks below 2 mg and it was still challenging. If I could save anyone the pain I went through, it would make me happy. You have come so far, no reason to rush now.

Hey, guys!

I was directed over here for some help with Ashton equivalency. Never in my life did I think that being terrible at math would have a direct impact on my physical well-being, but here I am.

So I'm currently on .625 of Clonazepam looking to possibly cross over to Valium. I have the Valium, luckily. I have 10mg and a prescription for 2mg that I haven't filled yet. I was due to drop down to .5mg of Clonazepam 5 days ago but we all know that schedules don't really mean a thing when you're feeling horrible. I'm starting to clear up a bit after the cut's roller coaster and am leaning more towards the V taper since it's not so huge, percentage-wise.

Would anyone be able to math this for me? I would be forever in your debt. I bake mean cookies.

Hey, guys!

I was directed over here for some help with Ashton equivalency. Never in my life did I think that being terrible at math would have a direct impact on my physical well-being, but here I am.

So I'm currently on .625 of Clonazepam looking to possibly cross over to Valium. I have the Valium, luckily. I have 10mg and a prescription for 2mg that I haven't filled yet. I was due to drop down to .5mg of Clonazepam 5 days ago but we all know that schedules don't really mean a thing when you're feeling horrible. I'm starting to clear up a bit after the cut's roller coaster and am leaning more towards the V taper since it's not so huge, percentage-wise.

Would anyone be able to math this for me? I would be forever in your debt. I bake mean cookies.

.625 comes out to 12.5mg of V.  :)--V

Hey, guys!

Ashton's equivalent is 0.5 clonazepam=10 mg valium so a 1:20 ratio.  So 0.625 mg of clonazepam would be 12.5 mg of Valium.  It's just an approximation though, some people need a little more V, some people can getting away with crossing to less.  I crossed from Xanax to Valium (same ratio) and her equivalents worked well for me.  OK other V peeps, check my benzo brain math.

Hey, guys!

Ashton's equivalent is 0.5 clonazepam=10 mg valium so a 1:20 ratio.  So 0.625 mg of clonazepam would be 12.5 mg of Valium.  It's just an approximation though, some people need a little more V, some people can getting away with crossing to less.  I crossed from Xanax to Valium (same ratio) and her equivalents worked well for me.  OK other V peeps, check my benzo brain math.

Ok Valley Um beat me but we got the same answer lol.

.625 comes out to 12.5mg of V.  :)--V

Ah, okay. Thanks so much :)

When I swapped my equivalency was 13.6 but I swapped gradually and ended up at 11. I have heard others that had to go higher and many that ended up lower. Seems like most people end up doing best at the recommended level but everyone is different and luckily you get the chance to feel your way along the process to judge what is right for you. Good luck!

When I swapped my equivalency was 13.6 but I swapped gradually and ended up at 11. I have heard others that had to go higher and many that ended up lower. Seems like most people end up doing best at the recommended level but everyone is different and luckily you get the chance to feel your way along the process to judge what is right for you. Good luck!

Thank you! I'm a little nervous about swapping directly. Justkeepswimming had a good plan where I incorporate the valium then go through a second stage before the actual crossover. I think if I do choose it, I'm gonna go that route. Seems safer even if it takes a bit longer.

Mine took 3 months but I wasnt able to do anything anyway I was in such a bad way fromthe WDs. So I didnt mind it taking a little longer. Especially after taking it for 16 years! Gradual was way better for me. It did take a few weeks to get the sleepiness at bay but it went away and now I wish I had it back at night! ;)

solaceandpeace I just happened to notice you are planning to go from 2 mg to 1 mg V? I got into big problems going too quickly from 2 mg down. Not saying that would definitely happen to you, but if you are already feeling a bit more off than usual, I recommend responding accordingly. Is there a reason to rush your taper? I know we all want to be off, but really we all want to be healthy. If you have 2 mg pills it is very easy to cut them in quarters, I even learned how to cut mine in eighths. You could try cutting 0.5 mg and if you feel great, go ahead and drop the other 0.5 mg. I had to do 0.25 mg cuts every two weeks below 2 mg and it was still challenging. If I could save anyone the pain I went through, it would make me happy. You have come so far, no reason to rush now.

JustKeepSwimming, I'm limited to the pills that I have left and I'm trying to keep forging ahead until I can't so that there will be some extras left to slow down. I actually really need to sit down and count my pills and make sure I have enough to even continue as I have been. I'll do that this weekend.

Many have warned me about 3 mg on down and I would definitely say that the cut from 3 mg to 2 mg was a bit harder than the others, but I'm still working full days, still able to grocery shop, still able to do social things. I've been waiting for some cue to slow down but my body just seems to adapt each time.

I may try to forge ahead with this next cut or I may do a 0.5 mg cut instead. I'm not going to make that decision until a day or two before the cut. I'm open to it but I refuse to stress about it!  :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for the kind words of warning! I assure you, I am listening and taking everyone's advice into consideration. :smitten:

Hi all...I haven't posted here in awhile..tried a long hold and that didn't work so I am back to C&H.

I have several other issues that are compounding all this.. have herniated discs in neck very painful,,,extreme dizziness/woozy/off balanced  whacked out head....have had MRI and several other tests and no real dx.

now I believe they have found mitral valve prolapse  waiting to hear back from cardiologist...I have migraines and neurologist last Nov. after MRI and 48hr EEG dx me with Vestibular/migraine associated dizziness. then was told I might have Lyme...tested neg. but Lyme literate Dr says that I need to be tested for co-infections of Lyme because I present as having Lyme and tests are not reliable

needless to say my head is spinning literally and figuratively.

I am cutting again on Tues  will be at 5 mgs V

my morning anxiety is getting REALLY bad again  this is what made me give up last taper

I hate this being controlled by anxiety and whacked head all day...but I have no choice but to get off this crap.

I got off Zoloft last year after 15yrs on it...now the benzo is what is/has been kicking my butt

so I guess I will come on here occasionally looking for camaraderie ....God be with us and any of you who are believers and prayer warriors...I covet prayers

Laineyk, good to see you back but so sad to hear what you're going through. I really feel for you because I went through a terrible time with vertigo a few years back that actually kicked off the health anxiety that eventually led to benzos. My worst fear is that the benzos are all that was controlling my vertigo and that it will return when I'm off. But I believe I would have seen some sign of that by now, so I find hope in that.

The two things that I really credit with healing my vertigo issues are fixing my poor posture (forward head posture from many years of computer work) and taking lemon bioflavonoid pills. They call them biorutin now for whatever reason. I take one a day but when my vertigo was an issue I took two a day. They cleared up a three-month bout with tinnitus in just 15 minutes after taking the first pill and I never looked back. As a bonus, I haven't had a cold or flu in 5 years despite living in a house full of people who get sick all the time! Can't be a coincidence. This is the one I take, I will share it with you in case it could help you too:

http://m.vitaminshoppe.com/m/p/nature-plus-biorutin-1000-mg-90-tablets/nt-1045

Another bit of good news that I can share with you is that I'm down to 2 mg from my original 10 mg of valium and I have not had any vertigo whatsoever during this taper. Hopefully that will soothe any fears you may have had about your taper worsening things. I did have one singular vertigo attack during my previous Ativan taper but I was also on decreased BP meds at that time and I'm 99% sure that was what caused it. How is your BP? Some have vertigo caused by high blood pressure and I believe I'm one of them.

Sending you tons of support! :smitten: