Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Today's the day for my cut to 2 mg. Nervous! :-\

My mantra this whole time has been: "My body and brain understand what I'm doing and they are anticipating and adjusting to the reduced doses."

So far, that has seemed to be true. I'm more apprehensive about these cuts to 2 mg, 1 mg, .5 mg, and the big jump. If it's been such smooth sailing so far, does that mean it will continue to be? Nah, I know better. It's unpredictable. But I can hope for the best and be prepared for whatever comes.

My mantra this whole time has been: "My body and brain understand what I'm doing and they are anticipating and adjusting to the reduced doses."

So far, that has seemed to be true. I'm more apprehensive about these cuts to 2 mg, 1 mg, .5 mg, and the big jump. If it's been such smooth sailing so far, does that mean it will continue to be? Nah, I know better. It's unpredictable. But I can hope for the best and be prepared for whatever comes.

Wishing you luck!  I'll be honest. When I first saw your taper schedule weeks ago, I thought that it was much too rapid.  I'm very relieved to see that you have not only managed to keep that schedule, but do so without the excess suffering that many on here incur. Now, I believe that you can do this and I pray this cut is no worse than the others.  You're doing it! Great job!

All the best,

Ed

Wishing you luck!  I'll be honest. When I first saw your taper schedule weeks ago, I thought that it was much too rapid.  I'm very relieved to see that you have not only managed to keep that schedule, but do so without the excess suffering that many on here incur. Now, I believe that you can do this and I pray this cut is no worse than the others.  You're doing it! Great job!

All the best,

Ed

I appreciate this post so much! I thought it was much too fast too and I told my doctor so, but he is so supportive and positive that he always convinces me that it'll all be OK. I decided to trust him and I don't regret that. Even if it gets rough from here on down, it has been fine so far -- GOOD even, with reduced anxiety -- so I'm further than I'd have otherwise been.

If I need to slow down at any point, I've stockpiled enough that I can do that. But I do have hope. When I compare my current V dose to my first failed Ativan taper, I'm shocked at how low I actually am! I couldn't have made it here on Ativan, that's for sure. I'm grateful that V still even exists because it's been the ticket to getting off benzos, ironically! ::)

I was afraid that my body would instantly know that I only took half a pill this morning and just outright rebel. Lol. So far so good. Fingers crossed! Usually I feel my cuts on days 2-3 and 8-10.

Thank you for always being so supportive, you are appreciated! :smitten:

All the best,

Ed

I appreciate this post so much! I thought it was much too fast too and I told my doctor so, but he is so supportive and positive that he always convinces me that it'll all be OK. I decided to trust him and I don't regret that. Even if it gets rough from here on down, it has been fine so far -- GOOD even, with reduced anxiety -- so I'm further than I'd have otherwise been.

If I need to slow down at any point, I've stockpiled enough that I can do that. But I do have hope. When I compare my current V dose to my first failed Ativan taper, I'm shocked at how low I actually am! I couldn't have made it here on Ativan, that's for sure. I'm grateful that V still even exists because it's been the ticket to getting off benzos, ironically! ::)

I was afraid that my body would instantly know that I only took half a pill this morning and just outright rebel. Lol. So far so good. Fingers crossed! Usually I feel my cuts on days 2-3 and 8-10.

Wow! So your Ativan taper was as bad as many of us have getting off a variety of benzos, but your valium taper has been smooth. I'd LOVE to know the science behind this. No offense, but it can't be as simple as frame of mind.

All the best,

Ed

Wow! So your Ativan taper was as bad as many of us have getting off a variety of benzos, but your valium taper has been smooth. I'd LOVE to know the science behind this. No offense, but it can't be as simple as frame of mind.

I was wondering the same too.  I absolutely could not taper Xanax so crossed to V, but it's also been rough for me to taper (although I am at least able to make progress versus no progress with X).  I definitely could not go at S and P's pace though!  That would be a giant disaster for me.  Grapejuice is another one that is having a relatively smooth taper off Valium and struggled with Xanax, although her pace is not as fast.  Ed, I guess you and I are are just meant to struggle.  Good thing we're tough!

All the best,

Ed

I was wondering the same too.  I absolutely could not taper Xanax so crossed to V, but it's also been rough for me to taper (although I am at least able to make progress versus no progress with X).  I definitely could not go at S and P's pace though!  That would be a giant disaster for me.  Grapejuice is another one that is having a relatively smooth taper off Valium and struggled with Xanax, although her pace is not as fast.  Ed, I guess you and I are are just meant to struggle.  Good thing we're tough!

:thumbsup:

Before I get into that, I have to include a funny note that I was just reading these replies out loud to my partner who didn't know my username. The response was: "S and P? Salt & Pepa?" Lol!!!! :laugh: That made my day.

I agree that it is not just mindset. Believe me when I say that I have put in a lot of time toward meditation and mindfulness over the years, and during these tapers even more so, but I strongly believe that the longer half life of Valium has been what's allowed me to have such a smooth taper. But then shouldn't that be the same for everyone?

In general, I am a fast metabolizer of everything. Medications hit me quickly and are out of my system quickly. You'd think that would make it worse though. Maybe instead my body adjusts more quickly? Maybe my mantra of "my body understands what I'm doing and anticipates the reductions" isn't just a mantra but actual biological fact? I don't even know if that's possible. Just something I say to comfort myself.

There's also the very real possibility that these reductions just haven't caught up with me yet and that I'm going to get slammed at this cut or the next. Or in acute. Trying not to think about that right now though and just take it as it comes.

Hi SandP, congratulations on reaching 2mg, you're ahead of me now. Your taper is going great!

Thank you so much! I was so afraid I'd be a mess tonight but it's almost 8 pm and so far so good. Days two and three... if I make it through those, I know I'll be OK.  ???

Ahh, there it is. Tinnitus. :-\ The symptoms I fear the most are the ones that remind me of my scary vertigo days back in 2011 before I got my blood pressure under control. Also, since I work as an audio transcriptionist and video captioner, I can't afford to lose hearing even temporarily.

I had sudden ringing in my left ear and then my hearing got sort of cloudy, like I was listening through cotton balls, if that makes sense. It sent me into panic mode because not only was it similar to what would happen prior to a vertigo attack but I was also in the exact same spot where I was when I had my vertigo attacks. I believe I have a bit of PTSD from that. My partner thinks I need to see a counselor for my fear of vertigo. But it messed me up so badly at one point that I lost all my sense of balance and couldn't walk for three months. How could I not fear a recurrence of that?

Well, thankfully my hearing returned within 10 minutes or so because I have to get back to work now. I wish I could just get in bed and go to sleep, but this work has an 8 am deadline. I pray that I can be strong through these symptoms... all the head symptoms are the ones that get to me. The others, I can breeze through. I had a feeling tinnitus would come back for me at the end. Please don't let nausea and dizziness come along with it. Oh how I hate them.

SandP,

Just hang in there. I bet it's just temporary and won't be with you the rest of the way.  I know it's tough to block out fears, but use your meditation techniques (after you finish working  >:( ).

Best,

Ed

Hi SandP, tinnitus is by far my most distressing symptom too. If if weren't for that one thing, I would probably be tapering faster. Actually, I wouldn't be on benzos at all. I had a sudden onset of severe tinnitus back in 2011 and the resulting anxiety and insomnia was what put me on benzos to begin with. I get ear pressure and wobbliness too.

Ed, thank you! The rest of the evening was uneventful and I actually enjoyed my work. I do feel sort of like I have a fever in my right ear (the tinnitus was in my left ear) if that makes sense. It feels hot and achy like your whole body does when you have a fever. But it's not too bad.

Grapejuice, we do have a lot in common! My vertigo in 2011 was what got me started on benzos. I didn't actually start taking them at that time, but the resulting anxiety was what pushed me off the deep end and made me say yes when the doc offered them. I suffered from high pitched tinnitus for three months solid, never stopping, back then. If I made it through that, I guess I can make it through this. Work makes it difficult though. And financial worries just make things worse.

I'm proud of myself tonight though because this is the kind of symptom that would have made me completely panic in the past. And not just for 10 minutes like I did. For months. I'd have changed my whole diet, added more supplements, tried to control every aspect of everything. I did that for YEARS. Then the benzos showed me what a normal life was like and I gave up my control freak ways for good.

They really did do what they were supposed to do in the short term. They gave me a break from the obsessive thoughts and reminded me who I am underneath all the fear that I had accumulated. I just should have stopped taking them when they stopped working. But hey. I'm here. I'm 80% of the way there as of today! So I'm going to try to continue to focus on the positive.

Day two and day eight are typically my worst. And here comes day two now. Gonna stay busy and hope for the best. :o

I am new here, just beginning to taper v after crossing over from Ativan.  I have been reading through the posts and will share my story later, but noticed someone mentioned that Zofran can cause serotonin syndrome in combination with other psych drugs, would paxil be one of these drugs?  I am on that also.  I have many questions, and look forward to getting to know some of you....it is late here and time for bed, so my brain is asleep, just wondered if someone could clear that up for me, I suffer greatly from nausea, and haven't tried the Zofran yet, but have it here, have tried everything else natural and rolaids etc, I am on Prilosec too...(too many meds I know!).....nothing works, I have lost a lot of weight and have to force feed myself to keep going, mostly eggs and toast at this point.  anyway, just wondered about the Zofran thing, I would like to give it a try.  I also would like to get off Prilosec, since I really don't think I need it, it is not heartburn that I have, and I was 70 lbs heavier when I was prescribed it many years ago, and they told me losing weight would probably help.  Would I have to taper that?  I know there is a slight interaction between valium and Prilosec too, and would love to get off from it...thanks so much.....Stella Bee

I am new here, just beginning to taper v after crossing over from Ativan.  I have been reading through the posts and will share my story later, but noticed someone mentioned that Zofran can cause serotonin syndrome in combination with other psych drugs, would paxil be one of these drugs?  I am on that also.  I have many questions, and look forward to getting to know some of you....it is late here and time for bed, so my brain is asleep, just wondered if someone could clear that up for me, I suffer greatly from nausea, and haven't tried the Zofran yet, but have it here, have tried everything else natural and rolaids etc, I am on Prilosec too...(too many meds I know!).....nothing works, I have lost a lot of weight and have to force feed myself to keep going, mostly eggs and toast at this point.  anyway, just wondered about the Zofran thing, I would like to give it a try.  I also would like to get off Prilosec, since I really don't think I need it, it is not heartburn that I have, and I was 70 lbs heavier when I was prescribed it many years ago, and they told me losing weight would probably help.  Would I have to taper that?  I know there is a slight interaction between valium and Prilosec too, and would love to get off from it...thanks so much.....Stella Bee

I've used Zofran occasionally while on Xanax, Valium, Seroquel, or Cymbalta with no bad effects. You could check with your pharmacist about interactions with your other meds.

someone mentioned that Zofran can cause serotonin syndrome in combination with other psych drugs, would paxil be one of these drugs?

My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that it can cause serotonin syndrome all on its own. "Rare but fatal." :o That disclaimer kept me from taking it on a regular basis.

But I do have a prescription of 15 pills waiting in my drawer just in case! It was extremely helpful for me when I was in the hospital via IV, but when I got home and popped a pill, it made me even more nauseated for about 15 minutes, bad enough that I am saving them for extreme emergencies! It did kick in after that though and I'm glad I have it on hand.

I HATE nausea more than anything. I have been extremely fortunate to not have to deal with it at all on this taper so far. Well, actually, I was nauseated tonight but I *think* I just needed some food in my stomach because it passed quickly after I ate. Who knows? I never know what's a WD symptom and what's just normal everyday stuff unless it's super obvious like the burning sensations.

Short update: Day two of this cut, which is usually the worst, was completely uneventful except for the above. I worked hard today and even went for a walk. I have tons of cleaning and decluttering to do this weekend so hopefully that will keep my mind busy. I'm feeling super clear headed and more like myself. I've enjoyed that feeling at every cut so far when the symptoms aren't acting up. I missed ME! ;)

Regarding nausea, I use ginger root and it has been very effective for me, and I believe it is actually good for me to boot, unlike the profitable poisons drug companies want to peddle on us.

Regarding nausea, I use ginger root and it has been very effective for me, and I believe it is actually good for me to boot, unlike the profitable poisons drug companies want to peddle on us.

Oh my goodness, I completely forgot about ginger! I used to use that all the time for motion sickness. Thank you so much for the reminder!

Good suggestion on Ginger.  When I got nausea recently (during a taper), I took lemon ginger tea and "Gin Gin" ginger hard candies from the health food store.  Worked wonders in a day!  SG57 is right - don't take meds for that!

Hi everyone!

Tonight's last .05 ml will put me at 11 mg. Continuing very well. Have become aware of muscle pain in my body as maybe exacerbated by the benzo. Spinal issues were the "reason" I was Rx'd benzos in the first place. Just recently I noticed waking with the stiffness and a general burn/ache, following what I've read on here it may be the V.

solaceandpeace I too am a mindfulness practisioner, and also a believer in the Law of Attraction: on that which we focus, we attract. So your "mantra" is a great affirmation in my thinking. Glad the tinnitus subsided.

Jackson how's the healing coming? Hope you're on the other side of the pneumonia Sx.

Stella bee, welcome to the thread. Good luck with your Rx changes. Sorry I have no experience with those.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I had a tough week but am happy to be on the weekend. This is unusual because I used to hate weekends. Yay!

Thank you healingme! I feel the same about this weekend, and I typically struggle with them too. The prior work week was a tough one so I am just enjoying laying back and watching some good TV! :thumbsup: Hope everyone else is well too!

Solace, I am in awe of you.  YOu are doing so well.  I also have had a recurrence of the spinal issue I just had surgery for in January and am wondering if it is w/d related.  I cut two tiny cuts in the last month and am getting slammed.  Burning awful and now with the pain back, well you all know..  Hoping this all subsides enough that I can go on as I have so long.  Good luck to you all. 

Solace, I am in awe of you.  YOu are doing so well.  I also have had a recurrence of the spinal issue I just had surgery for in January and am wondering if it is w/d related.  I cut two tiny cuts in the last month and am getting slammed.  Burning awful and now with the pain back, well you all know..  Hoping this all subsides enough that I can go on as I have so long.  Good luck to you all.

I'll bet it is WD related. I'm having a flare up of certain recurrent issues myself (TMI but diarrhea and hemorrhoids), and though people have told me they're not WD related, I don't believe it. If WD upsets your intestines, why is that such a stretch? I'm trying hard not to let it get to me this time but this particular symptom makes me miserable and it's hard to ignore. My go-to is Desitin, just sharing that in case anyone ever searches for hemorrhoids here and comes across this post. Instant relief even though that's not really what it's for. Lol

I'm also having the burning today, mostly in my legs, so you're not alone! A little dizziness and nausea but not too bad. I'm hanging in there as best I can.

I appreciate your kind words so much and I hope things start to ease up for you! My partner has been dealing with terrible back problems for over a year now so I know how awful that is.

Solace, I sympathize.  I had a life threatening case of CDiff in 2011 which started the benzo go round, I had so much diarrhea, nausea etc.  Dr. gave me a prescription cream that helped and also suppositories.  I was in the hospital for 4 days and in very bad shape. Cdiff affects the brain also because its a gut infection and anything that affects the gut affects the brain and vice versa.  I am now dealing with constipation also.  So distressing.  I don't get out much but I am going to try the aloe vera gels next.  Magnesium glycinate gave me awful anxiety.  I hope you feel better soon and also use those Prep H wipes and try to pat not wipe. So sad you also have the burning legs.  I have it in my mouth, urinary area and feet and lower legs mostly.  Its beyond awful.  Hope we both get relief soon.  I wish I could cut like you but I just am so sick right now I am going to hold here for a little while and see if this pain settles some.  Keep up the good work and hope the other issue clears up.