Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Solace,

I read that Beans contain a compound called lectin. Lectins are glycoproteins that are present in a wide variety of commonly-consumed plant foods. Some are not harmful, but the lectins found in undercooked and raw beans are toxic.

others said dont eat beans at all, but many countries eat beans all day.  Mexican food is based in beans.

I dont eat much beans for my acid reflux.

best regards

Tex

I have read that too, so I stick to canned beans! I'm too lazy to cook them anyway. :laugh: Beans have been no problem for my reflux and I've heard they're quite a cure for morning sickness. Sharing that piece of info just in case anyone knows a pregnant woman looking for relief! Nausea is truly the thing I hate most... well, maybe second to vertigo... so I'm curious to try them for that purpose. Not for morning sickness (no kiddos for me!) but for nausea.

Solace,

I read that Beans contain a compound called lectin. Lectins are glycoproteins that are present in a wide variety of commonly-consumed plant foods. Some are not harmful, but the lectins found in undercooked and raw beans are toxic.

others said dont eat beans at all, but many countries eat beans all day.  Mexican food is based in beans.

I dont eat much beans for my acid reflux.

best regards

Tex

I have read that too, so I stick to canned beans! I'm too lazy to cook them anyway. :laugh: Beans have been no problem for my reflux and I've heard they're quite a cure for morning sickness. Sharing that piece of info just in case anyone knows a pregnant woman looking for relief! Nausea is truly the thing I hate most... well, maybe second to vertigo... so I'm curious to try them for that purpose. Not for morning sickness (no kiddos for me!) but for nausea.

Beans are also good for gut bacteria is feeds the good guys :thumbsup:....

Beans Benefits: Any legume will help release short-chain fatty acids (SCFA) that strengthen your intestine cells, improve absorption of micronutrients, and help with weight loss.

Background: Beans feed good gut bugs, which in turn revs up your immune system. Calorie for calorie, beans offer the most nutrition bang for your buck. They are packed with fiber, protein, folate, and B vitamins, which play a role in regulating a healthy gut and a healthy brain.

Bonus: Researchers from Toronto just published a study in the journal Obesity that finds beans (pulses) improve weight loss by enhancing satiety. 

http://www.pcrm.org/media/online/sept2014/seven-foods-to-supercharge-your-gut-bacteria

Why Beans are problematic for some people.....

Known as a strong digestive booster, beans are packed with oligosaccharides that feed good gut bacteria (which is one reason they’re problematic for some). Though the gurgling is a good sign, it can be a little potent for new bean eaters. Soak your beans overnight and cook them extremely well (almost overdone if you need to), or add them slowly into your diet a day so your body can adapt. Beans are a good source of potassium, protein, and high in fiber so work them into your diet if you can, but if not, choose some legumes (below) instead. 

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/best-prebiotic-foods-for-optimal-digestive-health/

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

nova 1, thank you for all that info! That is so interesting! My stomach is actually very quiet and trouble-free as long as I eat my beans. If I skip them, that's when I get the gurgles.

crosstheroad, I opted for Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra. I have to take three capsules a day and I have to take them with meals even though it's recommended on an empty stomach. They gave me reflux on an empty stomach. I really hope I can do without them when my taper is done because they are too expensive for me! But necessary because the stomach pain from WDs (at least I HOPE it's from WDs!) is just too much!

My anxiety has been behaving itself amazingly! Had to take my partner for a root canal today so I had an hour and a half wait in the waiting room. Waiting rooms are another place where anxiety and akasthesia will really trouble me, just like being stuck in traffic or at red lights. I don't like being stuck anywhere, I guess. Not today, though. I leisurely read three magazines and really relaxed.

I really feel like I have had a major breakthrough with the anxiety. I'm in a dramatically better place mentally than I was at this time last year. I know the WDs might send me to a terrible place in the coming months, and if that doesn't do it, the acute phase just might. But I definitely feel better equipped to handle it. I'm really feeling so much more like myself than I have in decades.

I can't thank you all enough for the support here. I can't imagine doing this without your kind words and advice! :smitten:

@[ s...]

I have a cold which is annoying but nothing compared to the colds I had last winter and one this spring. I did notice the difference between being sick physically and b-sick. People just have no idea. It's the brain imbalance which is unbearable at times. And yet, we soldier on!  :thumbsup: HM

The diet she recommends with three cups of beans a day for such-and-such length of time is helpful and I did that for a very short time, but honestly it seemed to me that just adding half a cup of beans to lunch and dinner gave me complete relief. It's not a temporary fix for me though. I think I have a sluggish gallbladder in general, maybe never even had stones, and this keeps the bile flowing and clean instead of sluggish and thick. That's my theory, anyway. I'm avoiding seeking treatment for it unless it's absolutely necessary because I see how many people regret having their gallbladder removed. Of course, many are glad they did. So whatever happens happens! :) But I don't want to deal with that right now.

Fact is, I've had pressure and discomfort for years but I've never had a full-on gallbladder attack, so removal seems like overkill to me. Especially when eating a small amount of beans daily keeps it in check (which is good for me anyway and has lowered my cholesterol and triglycerides).

I'm doing well with my taper except for this damn back injury. I'm not having any symptoms of a herniated disc so I'm treating it as a strain and just trying to give it a few days. I do a lot of PT exercises on my own anyway and my muscles have been extra tight and sensitive to injury during my taper, so I'm hoping it's just from that. Fingers crossed! I think actually going in for MRIs and physical therapy and whatnot would be too much stress for me right now. I mean, I'll do what I've got to do, but I'm gonna give it a little time and see if it heals up. Strains can take up to six weeks to heal but I'm already way better than I was a couple of days ago.

The mild headache is really my only WD symptom right now. I'm nervous about my next cut on Thursday since so many have warned me to slow down, but I feel fine. I don't want to drag it on any longer than what I've planned unless it's absolutely necessary. Tell me I'm not crazy. Lol!

Hope all here are having a relaxing Sunday with mild symptoms!

I am beginning a taper from 30 milligrams of Temazepam to Valium at this point I am at 26 Temazepam 3 . The Valium is causing me to be very tired and lethargic during the day. of course I take it at night will this affect go away as I have to go up tonight. Will the fatigue and lack of concentration lessen with time? The second question is do you have to go up  to ashtons recommend 15 or can you do this with less valium ?  Thank you

I am in need of support and guidance. I've asked on other threads and haven't received any answers but I admit I'm a novice to posting and support groups. 

I started Ativan at a dose of 0.5 mg approx 9 years ago for insomnia... It worked like a charm. I never took it other then for sleep. Eventually over the years that dose crept up to 2 mg.  during the last several weeks I realized I was having interdose withdrawals. I never increased my dose because I had made a promise to myself that I would not. I started padding my nightly dose with Benedryl, melotonin, and switching to unisom.  I went to my original prescriber brought her the Ashton manual and she switched me to Valium and trusts me to figure out my own taper plan. Since I only used Ativan at night I'm confused as to implement the taper plan.  It feels odd to take small amounts of Ativan or Diazepam throughout the day but there is no doubt I'm miserable with interdose withdrawals.

I feel horrible I'm even in this situation. I've increased my exercise and am seeing a CBH professional.

If there's anyone out there who can offer encouragement and guidance on a taper plan I would greatly appreciate it as I am panicking and anxious.

I am in need of support and guidance. I've asked on other threads and haven't received any answers but I admit I'm a novice to posting and support groups. 

I started Ativan at a dose of 0.5 mg approx 9 years ago for insomnia... It worked like a charm. I never took it other then for sleep. Eventually over the years that dose crept up to 2 mg.  during the last several weeks I realized I was having interdose withdrawals. I never increased my dose because I had made a promise to myself that I would not. I started padding my nightly dose with Benedryl, melotonin, and switching to unisom.  I went to my original prescriber brought her the Ashton manual and she switched me to Valium and trusts me to figure out my own taper plan. Since I only used Ativan at night I'm confused as to implement the taper plan.  It feels odd to take small amounts of Ativan or Diazepam throughout the day but there is no doubt I'm miserable with interdose withdrawals.

I feel horrible I'm even in this situation. I've increased my exercise and am seeing a CBH professional.

If there's anyone out there who can offer encouragement and guidance on a taper plan I would greatly appreciate it as I am panicking and anxious.

Glenhaven,

Well, if you're the one looking at the Ashton Manual, you can see that it's fine to split up your doses. Prior to my taper, I only dosed in the morning (Ativan). I began my taper by dosing 2X a day with diazepam and eventually bumped up to 3x per day due to IDWD.  Months ago I went back to 2X per day. Don't worry about the splits. On this board, you'll see more people splitting doses than taking 1X per day.  This is a tough road, but many have traveled it before you and you can do it too!

Best of luck!

--Ed

Edzo- now that you've switched back and forth a couple times, any insight on MT vs c/h??

Or is it just the same either way?

It's all rough on me to be honest. Cut and Hold worked well for the early part of my taper.  MT carried me through the middle until I got sick of feeling toxic every day.  I switched back to Cut and Hold and it worked until my last cut to 3mg, which was brutal.  So I switched back to MT and everything all caught up to me at 2.5mg.  I'm on day 9 of a hold and today I'm finally feeling closer to baseline.  I haven't decided if I'll begin to cut again after day 10 or if I'll give it the full 2 weeks.

I think some of us are just fated to have easier/rougher tapers than others. The one thing I can say about MT is that it's easier to put on the brakes in case you move a bit too quickly. At this point, I plan to continue MT the rest of the way off.

Best,

Ed 

@[gl...]:thumbsup:

Just want to comment on the fatigue and dosing of V for me. I get fatigued easily and with stress I've been known to sleep for hours during the day. Really hate that because I tend to wake with a cortisol surge and feel anxious for awhile. Plus who wants to sleep the day away? So since Valium has a very long half-life (time it takes to leave your system) I decided to take my dose only at night. When I saw my b-doc I was still having a bit of morning anxiety and he said that it was due to the once-daily dose. My dose time was 12 hours from the waking time, it happens. However, since I've been improving my diet I rarely have the morning anxiety. I've been following the blood-type diet and it's miraculous for me. Welcome to the thread! HM

Hi!

I am on a liquid micro taper with Valium using almond milk

I am currently tapering 1.5ml per day and am at 1.35mg of Valium

All was going quite well.. Amped but hiking and playing tennis but struggling to function well

Then I got pneumonia last week

I am 45 and am an asthmatic

Should hold you think?

I just took Zithromax and having shortness of breathe

Having to do breathing treatments

Do u advise a hold? I really was doing quite well.. I mean I feel like shit but was able to function and laugh and kind of in a better place. Sleep is ok. On remeron. Meditating 1 hour at least daily

Thank you please Lmk your thoughts

Eating lots of oranges and healthy foods too

Hi!

I am on a liquid micro taper with Valium using almond milk

I am currently tapering 1.5ml per day and am at 1.35mg of Valium

All was going quite well.. Amped but hiking and playing tennis but struggling to function well

Then I got pneumonia last week

I am 45 and am an asthmatic

Should hold you think?

I just took Zithromax and having shortness of breathe

Having to do breathing treatments

Do u advise a hold? I really was doing quite well.. I mean I feel like shit but was able to function and laugh and kind of in a better place. Sleep is ok. On remeron. Meditating 1 hour at least daily

Thank you please Lmk your thoughts

Eating lots of oranges and healthy foods too

Ed,

Hang in there, you are so close, even if it doesn't feel that way.  Closer than me anyway  :D You are doing great!

Jackson,

There's no shame in holding.  The pneumonia is a stress on your body.  I imagine it will be harder for you to heal if you keep tapering. Why don't you wait until you feel a little better?  Talk to your doc and ask him/her when they feel you have recovered from the pneumonia standpoint, then you can resume your taper. I have a surgery coming up on 11/2 so I'm being very conservative with my cuts right now.  I really don't want to go into it unstable so to speak.

Thank you for the encouragement, Hope.  I appreciate it.  Yes, even though it feels like it will be forever until I'm done, I know there is a horizon for which to shoot.

How are you feeling these days?

Best,

Ed

Thank you for the encouragement, Hope.  I appreciate it.  Yes, even though it feels like it will be forever until I'm done, I know there is a horizon for which to shoot.

Best,

Ed

I'm just hanging here at 9 mg.  The cut from 10 to 9.5 was horrific, and the cut from 9.5 to 9 not so bad.  Like night and day. Who can explain?  I'm on day 15 of this cut and planning to hold 28 days and then throw in another cut to 8.5 mg, which would give me 5 weeks to recover before surgery on 11/2.  But who's counting? :D  Then after I recover from surgery, I plan to keep marching to zero, in whatever way will get me there.

Best,

Ed

I'm just hanging here at 9 mg.  The cut from 10 to 9.5 was horrific, and the cut from 9.5 to 9 not so bad.  Like night and day. Who can explain?  I'm on day 15 of this cut and planning to hold 28 days and then throw in another cut to 8.5 mg, which would give me 5 weeks to recover before surgery on 11/2.  But who's counting? :D  Then after I recover from surgery, I plan to keep marching to zero, in whatever way will get me there.

That sounds like a solid plan.  Yes, some cuts are absolutely horrific and some not quite so bad. It can be difficult to figure and, unfortunately, lends itself to anticipatory anxiety.  But it sounds like you have a solid plan and I know you are a tough cookie. You're going to get through this fit as a fiddle.

Best,

Ed

:thumbsup:

Best,

Ed

That sounds like a solid plan.  Yes, some cuts are absolutely horrific and some not quite so bad. It can be difficult to figure and, unfortunately, lends itself to anticipatory anxiety.  But it sounds like you have a solid plan and I know you are a tough cookie. You're going to get through this fit as a fiddle.

Best,

Ed

:thumbsup:

I am beginning a taper from 30 milligrams of Temazepam to Valium at this point I am at 26 Temazepam 3 . The Valium is causing me to be very tired and lethargic during the day. of course I take it at night will this affect go away as I have to go up tonight. Will the fatigue and lack of concentration lessen with time? The second question is do you have to go up  to ashtons recommend 15 or can you do this with less valium ?  Thank you

I can tell you that the drowsiness improved after a couple of weeks and really improved drastically once I started cutting Valium. I don't believe I could have continued my Ativan taper if it weren't for the V, but I slept soooo much in the beginning. I was clearly over medicated but it all turned out OK. That is a very typical situation when crossing over to V, so just know that it's temporary and take comfort in that! :thumbsup:

If you were used to taking your dose at night, you should be able to do the same with V. I had the opposite issue... I was used to 3 or 4 x daily dosing of Ativan and wasn't ready psychologically to reduce the doses! I thought I'd go crazy cutting to 2 x per day but it was actually really freeing and I didn't struggle with it at all. It stays in your system so long that 1 x or 2 x daily dosing is just fine.

@Jackson: I would hold. Too many changes, new drugs, etc. can stress your benzo balance as it is. Why chance worse Sx? Hope you're feeling better from the pneumonia. Good thoughts, HM

Thank you I will hold for a week. I am so determined to get off but this attitude landed me in hell after trying twice so... Not going to try it again.

I am at about 1.31 or so. Heading towards 1mg where all of my problems started last time. Granted it was a 6 wk taper not a year long one so hoping and praying it's different now

I am beginning the crossover from Temazepam to Valium.Every day there's a new obsession that I deal with.I am overcome with worry. today is the worry about the end of the taper will I feel addicted to th.e Valium.  When you get to the end  what is the best method of weaning It Off how slow to avoid feelings of withdrawal.

I am beginning the crossover from Temazepam to Valium.Every day there's a new obsession that I deal with.I am overcome with worry. today is the worry about the end of the taper will I feel addicted to th.e Valium.  When you get to the end  what is the best method of weaning It Off how slow to avoid feelings of withdrawal.

It's hard to plan the end of your taper when you haven't started it yet. One step at a time! Get the crossover done, start from a stable dose of

Valium, then begin your taper. If you are planning on doing a cut and hold

Taper, cut less than 5-10% from your dose. You will

have to see how your body reacts to figure out the

the optimal amount to cut and time to hold

for you. Or there is the microtaper option, which is not

my field of expertise as I've never done it, but there are plenty on the

This board who can help.