Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Thanks Ed, it's funny I'm lethargic yet anxious. So a double edge sword.

Good news Grapejiuce🙏🙏🙏

Yes, these benzos put us in emotional states that we can't define--even to ourselves. I do hope your anxiety isn't too bad.  Keep hanging in there!

Best,

Ed

Hey Grape!

Nice to see you hit 3mg. Congratulations! How are you feeling?

--Ed

So far 3mg is treating me better than 3.25. Of course I'm barely 4 days in, the first wave usually hits 3-4 days after cut. Mainly just depressed and lethargic which has increased over the past month. But I also found out last month my thyroid is way underactive so that could be part of it.

Hey Grape!

Nice to see you hit 3mg. Congratulations! How are you feeling?

--Ed

So far 3mg is treating me better than 3.25. Of course I'm barely 4 days in, the first wave usually hits 3-4 days after cut. Mainly just depressed and lethargic which has increased over the past month. But I also found out last month my thyroid is way underactive so that could be part of it.

I hope things continue well for you. 3 has been a real bear for me. I still haven't completely stabilized after 8 days. Usually, I feel improvement around day 5. Switching back to micro taper for the time being so I can hit the brakes in case things get really hairy.

I just went from Dosing 2x a day to only once at bedtime. Can I continue with my taper or do I need to wait out this transitio for a week or so?

Anyone ever have a weird sx that involves the twitching of the throat. Kind of gives the sensation that your airway is being impacted. Not pleasant at all.

Thanks for any response.

--Ed

Anyone ever have a weird sx that involves the twitching of the throat. Kind of gives the sensation that your airway is being impacted. Not pleasant at all.

Thanks for any response.

--Ed

Sounds like a muscle spasm. When I was on Xanax I had the sensation my throat was closing and would choke on my food during interdose withdrawal. I had to time my meds before meals so I could eat. I still have swallowing fears but so far so good on Valium, at least in the swallowing department.

Thanks for any response.

--Ed

Sounds like a muscle spasm. When I was on Xanax I had the sensation my throat was closing and would choke on my food during interdose withdrawal. I had to time my meds before meals so I could eat. I still have swallowing fears but so far so good on Valium, at least in the swallowing department.

Yes, that's what I think is going on. Similar to the simple little ticks that come and go in my calves, thighs, glutes and forearms. I don't give them a second thought and in fact joke about them with my wife in telling her that some old friends are back to hang out. The throat one freaked me out though. The next time it happens, I'm going to try to focus on the physiological aspect of it rather than the psychological aspect and really try to pay attention to what is going on. I hope that sx stays away for you (and for me!)

Thanks for a response,

Ed

P.S. How are things going with your taper? I think you have another surgery coming up and I hope you can reach an even level beforehand.

Thanks for any response.

--Ed

[/

Yes, that's what I think is going on. Similar to the simple little ticks that come and go in my calves, thighs, glutes and forearms. I don't give them a second thought and in fact joke about them with my wife in telling her that some old friends are back to hang out. The throat one freaked me out though. The next time it happens, I'm going to try to focus on the physiological aspect of it rather than the psychological aspect and really try to pay attention to what is going on. I hope that sx stays away for you (and for me!)

Thanks for a response,

Ed

Thanks for asking. This last cut has been rough with lots of nausea that started around day 9. Then I had to start a 7 day course of antibiotics (Bactrim) which made me more nauseous and seemed to ramp up my other withdrawal symptoms. I finish my last pill tomorrow morning. I am supposed to be cutting tomorrow according to my 21 day schedule but I'm going to wait at least another week off the antibiotic before I cut again. My surgery is 11/2 so I need to be as stable as possible for that. Although I'd love to get in another cut or two beforehand.

Dear Hope,

I can REALLY relate to nausea (second only to getting thrown into acute fight or flight mode). It can be so debilitating.  I do hope and pray that it abates. 

Holding for just a bit sounds like a good idea. Maybe shoot for 1 cut before surgery and if you can do two, so much the better.

Best,

Ed

Dear Hope,

I can REALLY relate to nausea (second only to getting thrown into acute fight or flight mode). It can be so debilitating.  I do hope and pray that it abates. 

Holding for just a bit sounds like a good idea. Maybe shoot for 1 cut before surgery and if you can do two, so much the better.

Best,

Ed

:thumbsup:

Still doing well here. I've had a couple of panicky moments but nothing major. The worst was this past Saturday when I had such burning stomach pain that I was convinced it couldn't be the benzos. I took a Pepcid Complete but the pain didn't subside until I basically slept it off, so I don't know...

I've always been very sensitive to fried and deep-fried foods, and I happen to have been eating a decent amount of those over the past few weeks when I was on vacation, plus daily decaf black coffee, which of course is quite acidic. I've simplified my diet and cut way back on portions, and though my body is complaining about that in other ways (mainly nausea and a gurgling tummy), the stomach burning has dramatically improved.

I should note that I had this same symptom during Ativan WDs and had two CT scans done at that time and there was nothing of note. I've had what feel like gall bladder pains for decades but never any real attacks and they told me they don't see any stones. It could be one or the other, I suppose. Either way, the stress isn't good for it and I'm trying my hardest to avoid any procedures until I've been off the benzos for a bit.

Mentally, I'm good though. I even headed out on a little adventure with my partner yesterday. I really feared the cut to 4 mg so this has been a pleasant surprise. I hope it continues this smoothly from here. I really feel like all I've had so far are some very short duration physical symptoms plus the normal anxiety that I'm no longer fully medicating away.

I can see the destination ahead. I'm so close. I remember what hope feels like because I am feeling it right now. Do I have scary times? Sure. But that's OK too. Thank you to all of you for teaching me that.

Still doing well here. I've had a couple of panicky moments but nothing major. The worst was this past Saturday when I had such burning stomach pain that I was convinced it couldn't be the benzos. I took a Pepcid Complete but the pain didn't subside until I basically slept it off, so I don't know...

I've always been very sensitive to fried and deep-fried foods, and I happen to have been eating a decent amount of those over the past few weeks when I was on vacation, plus daily decaf black coffee, which of course is quite acidic. I've simplified my diet and cut way back on portions, and though my body is complaining about that in other ways (mainly nausea and a gurgling tummy), the stomach burning has dramatically improved.

I should note that I had this same symptom during Ativan WDs and had two CT scans done at that time and there was nothing of note. I've had what feel like gall bladder pains for decades but never any real attacks and they told me they don't see any stones. It could be one or the other, I suppose. Either way, the stress isn't good for it and I'm trying my hardest to avoid any procedures until I've been off the benzos for a bit.

Mentally, I'm good though. I even headed out on a little adventure with my partner yesterday. I really feared the cut to 4 mg so this has been a pleasant surprise. I hope it continues this smoothly from here. I really feel like all I've had so far are some very short duration physical symptoms plus the normal anxiety that I'm no longer fully medicating away.

I can see the destination ahead. I'm so close. I remember what hope feels like because I am feeling it right now. Do I have scary times? Sure. But that's OK too. Thank you to all of you for teaching me that.

SandP,

Glad to hear that you're managing to get through this at your taper rate!  That's great news!  I can really relate to the burning around 4mg. Mine was super intense and lasted several days. I also was convinced it couldn't be the benzos and I also was on vacation and ate some foods I should not have.  It was so bad that I haven't even been tempted to stray from my current diet.  Just keep on keeping on and you'll be done before you know it.

Good luck,

Ed

Ed,

Thanks for your reply, I needed the encouragement tonight! I had some tomatoes with dinner and it seemed to flare up the burning again. Not anywhere near as bad as Saturday, but enough to get my anxiety going.

Was yours in one particular spot or all over? Mine is sort of below the gall bladder region.

My fear is that it's an ulcer, but if so, why do I get relief for such long periods of time in between? I'm also basically at the equivalent dose of the part of my Ativan taper that gave me this same symptom, so I'm trying to play it cool, but concerned relatives are pushing me to get it checked. I really don't want to.

I'm going to try some pepto bismol tomorrow. I've never really taken it but I see that many here have used it.

If I could only know for certain that this is benzo-related. Sigh. I won't miss this questioning every little symptom AT ALL. ::)

Ed,

Thanks for your reply, I needed the encouragement tonight! I had some tomatoes with dinner and it seemed to flare up the burning again. Not anywhere near as bad as Saturday, but enough to get my anxiety going.

Was yours in one particular spot or all over? Mine is sort of below the gall bladder region.

My fear is that it's an ulcer, but if so, why do I get relief for such long periods of time in between? I'm also basically at the equivalent dose of the part of my Ativan taper that gave me this same symptom, so I'm trying to play it cool, but concerned relatives are pushing me to get it checked. I really don't want to.

I'm going to try some pepto bismol tomorrow. I've never really taken it but I see that many here have used it.

If I could only know for certain that this is benzo-related. Sigh. I won't miss this questioning every little symptom AT ALL. ::)

Well, mine was more in the pit of my stomach. But I'm telling you, my stomach was on F-I-R-E and, to be honest, it hurt so badly that I remember thinking that I wouldn't be upset if I passed away. It makes me so sad to say because I absolutely love life; It just hurt so bad.  I also was thinking it was perhaps an ulcer AND I also wonder why I get such long periods of relief.  It really is a mystery.  I've been tested for h-pylori and come up negative.  For now, I'm just chalking it up to benzos and will deal with it if it comes again after I am healed. The last thing I want is to go for unnecessary procedures and get prescribed something else. 

It took me about 8 days to fully recover from that burning gut. Today it is almost like a distant memory. So strange. But, like I mentioned, I'm not going to tempt fate and will continue to eat foods that I know are safe.  BTW, I've read a few times on these boards that tomatoes have upset people's GI systems. Just a FYI.

Best,

Ed

Ed,

Solace,

I've had some pretty bad GERD during my taper, to the point that I had to start Protonix. I had to start a low acid diet and that has helped a lot. You could try cutting out acidic and spicy foods if you aren't already doing that. You can Google low acid foods or acid reflux diet and find lots of info.

Well, mine was more in the pit of my stomach. But I'm telling you, my stomach was on F-I-R-E and, to be honest, it hurt so badly that I remember thinking that I wouldn't be upset if I passed away. It makes me so sad to say because I absolutely love life; It just hurt so bad.  I also was thinking it was perhaps an ulcer AND I also wonder why I get such long periods of relief.  It really is a mystery.  I've been tested for h-pylori and come up negative.  For now, I'm just chalking it up to benzos and will deal with it if it comes again after I am healed. The last thing I want is to go for unnecessary procedures and get prescribed something else. 

It took me about 8 days to fully recover from that burning gut. Today it is almost like a distant memory. So strange. But, like I mentioned, I'm not going to tempt fate and will continue to eat foods that I know are safe.  BTW, I've read a few times on these boards that tomatoes have upset people's GI systems. Just a FYI.

Best,

Ed

I completely understand those kind of thoughts. With the pain and derealization/depersonalization episodes, I have thought that too, and even though I know I don't even mean it in the moment, it's like all my exhaustion from this entire process just batters me all at once and that thought just happens. It passes quickly, but I definitely understand.

I'm beginning to think it's still just my gallbladder since I've had longstanding issues with it, and that the benzo situation is just making it worse. It's hard to tell because the location and sensation of the pain seemed to change after I had my appendix removed last fall. But it hurts more after I eat, which is more of a gallbladder symptom than an ulcer symptom.

Pepto bismol seemed to calm my stomach in general but didn't really help this pain. Hard to tell though because it's not as severe as last weekend.

I think I am going to eliminate tomatoes for now. I don't eat a ton of them anymore anyway (used to be my favorite thing in the world), but I noticed they definitely impact this.

I'm eating way less in general to give my stomach a break. I didn't want to try to lose weight during my taper because that seemed to mess with my moods last time, but I'm in a stronger place mentally this time around and I definitely need to lose the weight, so why not take advantage of this awful time and lose some of it? I'm sure it'll be just fine.

Hope, spicy and acidic stuff is already out the window! I wonder how long after becoming benzo-free I'll have to continue the dietary restrictions. Does anyone know?

Thank you both for your reassurance!

Best,

Ed

I completely understand those kind of thoughts. With the pain and derealization/depersonalization episodes, I have thought that too, and even though I know I don't even mean it in the moment, it's like all my exhaustion from this entire process just batters me all at once and that thought just happens. It passes quickly, but I definitely understand.

I'm beginning to think it's still just my gallbladder since I've had longstanding issues with it, and that the benzo situation is just making it worse. It's hard to tell because the location and sensation of the pain seemed to change after I had my appendix removed last fall. But it hurts more after I eat, which is more of a gallbladder symptom than an ulcer symptom.

Pepto bismol seemed to calm my stomach in general but didn't really help this pain. Hard to tell though because it's not as severe as last weekend.

I think I am going to eliminate tomatoes for now. I don't eat a ton of them anymore anyway (used to be my favorite thing in the world), but I noticed they definitely impact this.

I'm eating way less in general to give my stomach a break. I didn't want to try to lose weight during my taper because that seemed to mess with my moods last time, but I'm in a stronger place mentally this time around and I definitely need to lose the weight, so why not take advantage of this awful time and lose some of it? I'm sure it'll be just fine.

Hope, spicy and acidic stuff is already out the window! I wonder how long after becoming benzo-free I'll have to continue the dietary restrictions. Does anyone know?

Thank you both for your reassurance!

SandP,

If I were you, I'd just cut out the offenders as well. From your signature, it looks as if you'll be done in a few months anyway.  Once you get out a few months from your taper, you can try to SLOWLY reinstate foods. Basically a reverse elimination diet. 

If you feel you have a gall bladder issue, why not have a sonogram done. This is a nice, non invasive procedure that won't throw you for a loop. I had one done and they did find a stone, but it hasn't been bugging me and my gall bladder wasn't irritated or inflamed or anything like that.

I have given up so many food during the course of this taper that I am down to eating about 7 or 8 things. At this point, I even had to give up bread/gluten due to nausea issues when I consume it. Ugh!  At least I can still do dairy (including soft serve ice cream).  ;D

Hope you're feeling better today.

Best,

Ed

solaceandpeace, I had a gall bladder attack back in May. Pain in the liver area and all along the right side of my back, plus nausea. I understand that often the right shoulder hurts, too. Anyway, I didn't have inflammation or stones in the bile ducts, so I did a gall bladder flush and will do a few more. Find examples on Youtube, just use the ones with lemon juice instead of grapefruit. Also I changed my diet to my blood type, which is A. You may not be an A, because we lack stomach acids. However, once I began following the diet and added fresh veg juices daily, my chronic headaches, intermittent nausea and frequent bloating went away almost totally! There are also Youtube vids on the blood type diets. Has given me so much energy and is making my taper easy so far. Hope you feel better soon! HM

solaceandpeace, I had a gall bladder attack back in May. Pain in the liver area and all along the right side of my back, plus nausea. I understand that often the right shoulder hurts, too. Anyway, I didn't have inflammation or stones in the bile ducts, so I did a gall bladder flush and will do a few more. Find examples on Youtube, just use the ones with lemon juice instead of grapefruit. Also I changed my diet to my blood type, which is A. You may not be an A, because we lack stomach acids. However, once I began following the diet and added fresh veg juices daily, my chronic headaches, intermittent nausea and frequent bloating went away almost totally! There are also Youtube vids on the blood type diets. Has given me so much energy and is making my taper easy so far. Hope you feel better soon! HM

Hi Healing,

Did you use the epsom salts?

This is the key ingredient that relaxes all the bile ducts and biliary tubes in the liver so that the stones can pass freely.

Also, just be aware that while tapering a benzo and doing liver flushing, you will flush out most of the valium you have built up in your liver.

This can set you back with sx's similar to ct.

Etown did a liver flush while tapering and it took a few months of playing with his doses to get stable again.

Dpier1987 did liver flushing and had a bad time of not stabilizing.

Thanks for the thoughtful warning mr mteo. Yes I used the epsom salts. I just went into it quickly and had no probs with my V. Suspected it might but I needed to do it so I trusted spiritually and I was OK. Don't know about others but you have to not use the grapefruit juice because that will mess with your benzo uptake; actually it causes the body to potentiate the effects of the benzo.

Today I celebrate a new V amount; 12 mg!  :)  :smitten:

Thanks for the thoughtful warning mr mteo. Yes I used the epsom salts. I just went into it quickly and had no probs with my V. Suspected it might but I needed to do it so I trusted spiritually and I was OK. Don't know about others but you have to not use the grapefruit juice because that will mess with your benzo uptake; actually it causes the body to potentiate the effects of the benzo.

Congratulations!!!!!

Awesome.

Hopefully, others can benefit by your experience.