Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Oh yeah, the big .5mg.  And it is hitting me hard still after 2 weeks.  UGH. Hope you are doing ok.  I'll do it now while I'm on here.  Thanks.

I cut again on Saturday.....don't feel any worse...I was already so sick.....I am sorry you feel as if this cut is slamming you....are you sure its not the anticipatory anxiety of all of this?

I know that's what I get

No, I have mostly physical symptoms.  Hopefully things will settle down to just horrible instead of extremely horrible this week because I want to cut that .25 mg. off the morning to make it an even 13 mg.  Then I can do 6.5 in morning and night and go from there. 

No, I have mostly physical symptoms.  Hopefully things will settle down to just horrible instead of extremely horrible this week because I want to cut that .25 mg. off the morning to make it an even 13 mg.  Then I can do 6.5 in morning and night and go from there.

OK I'm asking my doc for a Zofran script, I am sick of this nausea.  Phenergan makes me sleepy and Zofran works better anyway.  Serotonin syndrome is more of a risk if you combine more than one agent that can have that side effect. I plan only using it when things are awful anyway.  You go Free and Lainey for making cuts!  This cut is kicking my butt too and it's been 15 days.  This is my second cut after my surgery. The first one was easy, this one is bordering on catastrophe (just feels that way).  I hate Valium.

Hope you look like you are doing great.  BE careful and don't cut too much though esp. if you are getting slammed.  I must be a really slow metabolizer as I get hit from day 8 or 9 and on for quite awhile.  I want to cut that .25 on Sat. if I can.  I can't wait until I'm in the single digits although it will probably be quite awhile for me.  I'm a super slow taperer lol.  Hope your cut smooths out soon.  I take two other meds so I will have to ask about if they can cause that syndrome although I haven't seen it listed on side effects but I'll ask pharmacist next time I'm in there and see what she says.  I'm so paranoid of meds now, esp. since I almost died from a CDiff infection caused by, you guessed it, a horrible med called Clindamycin.  Anyway, thats a whole nother story but it is what started me on Ativan, I had such anxiety I thought I would die from that disease, was hospitalized etc.  Just take it easy and you will be fine. 

Hope you look like you are doing great.  BE careful and don't cut too much though esp. if you are getting slammed.  I must be a really slow metabolizer as I get hit from day 8 or 9 and on for quite awhile.  I want to cut that .25 on Sat. if I can.  I can't wait until I'm in the single digits although it will probably be quite awhile for me.  I'm a super slow taperer lol.  Hope your cut smooths out soon.  I take two other meds so I will have to ask about if they can cause that syndrome although I haven't seen it listed on side effects but I'll ask pharmacist next time I'm in there and see what she says.  I'm so paranoid of meds now, esp. since I almost died from a CDiff infection caused by, you guessed it, a horrible med called Clindamycin.  Anyway, thats a whole nother story but it is what started me on Ativan, I had such anxiety I thought I would die from that disease, was hospitalized etc.  Just take it easy and you will be fine.

Most of the other drugs that can cause serotonin syndrome are psych meds, certain antidepressants and antipsychotics. I'm going to hold here until stable then figure out my next move. I've got another surgery coming up so I'd like to sneak in some cuts but obviously

Don't want  to kill myself. Once I know the date I can plan my taper accordingly and throw in a nice long hold before surgery to get as stable as possible. C. Diff sucks. I had to have antibiotics for my breast surgery and my plastic surgeon would only use Keflex or clindamycin. I have a penicillin allergy and Keflex has like a 30% cross reactivity on allergic reactions but I decided to risk the Keflex instead of clindamycin and ended up with a drug fever. Better than C. Diff I guess. I'll probably have to have it with my next surgery too. So I know what you mean about being scared of meds.

Hi All,

Just wanted to throw out a big congrats to all of you guys and gals who just recently cut. I'm sorry that the sea bands didn't work for many of you; I guess I just got lucky. 

It's so interesting to me how the activity on these boards waxes and wanes. Sometimes no new comments for 3 days; sometimes a flurry of activity.  Keeps me coming back!

Keep on keeping on,

Ed

I know Ed, thats the way it is sometimes.  When I had my surgery they gave me IV Vancomycin, you could ask if they can use this.  I wouldn't ever take Clindamycin again, I was sick for over two years and never really regained my health.  It is also why I was put on the horrible ATivan, oh if I would have only known.  Good luck on your upcoming surgery.  I hope I don't need anymore anytime soon. 

[50...]

Clindamycin is very nasty. Avoid! I went through a similar thing after a bike accident and they gave me Clindamycin. I didn't get cdiff but I got horrible nausea that ramped up my anxiety and messed up my taper for a while.

Also obviously avoid all the antibiotics with "flox" in them.

In fact, sometimes I think it's best to avoid doctors and their prescribed medicines altogether...

I so agree, thats what my Dr. keep trying for me, more meds.  I have gabapentin here for the relentless burning but so far have been able to resist but it gets harder and harder.  I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because for the nerve pain, which is what the burning is all they can offer are Lyrica, gabapentin and all those nasty habit forming drugs even though they will tell you they aren't habit forming.  I have heard that line before.  OH don't worry, you are way too anxious, just take this, its not habit forming and a low dose.  Gave me 4 mg. a dday, low dose my butt. They really don't have a clue sometimes but there are good ones out there, I don't want to trash Drs. altogether.  AFter all he is only trying to help me, he is genuinely caring.  Luckily I only took 2.5 mg of the ATivan, so glad I never went up any more. 

Free,

Is it your legs that burn? Your stomach? I get burning in my calves for no reason at all. Is this unusual?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed, No I have tongue, urinary area(female areas) and feet mostly.  When its really bad they all burn at once.  Sometimes I feel it a little up to my calves and in my hands but so far hasn't gotten bad there yet.  It truly is awful and just pray all the time it lets up.  If this would let up I could function but I am mostly immobile from it as I can't go out in such pain.  Hope yours gets better, its the most awful thing.  Blessings to you my friend.

Ed, No I have tongue, urinary area(female areas) and feet mostly.  When its really bad they all burn at once.  Sometimes I feel it a little up to my calves and in my hands but so far hasn't gotten bad there yet.  It truly is awful and just pray all the time it lets up.  If this would let up I could function but I am mostly immobile from it as I can't go out in such pain.  Hope yours gets better, its the most awful thing.  Blessings to you my friend.

Gosh free that sounds horrible. Maybe you should give the gabapentin a try if you are immobile. I know it's not optimal but any things better than a benzo. I went to the doc this afternoon. I have a UTI and have to take Bactrim for 7 days. I told them no fluoroquinolones of course. Hoping it doesn't mess with my cut. I got some Zofran too, I may give one a try if things are getting really tough.

I'm sorry that you have been going through this. My burning is nothing like what you are experiencing. Mine is more like how a carpet burn feels--so I'm definitely not complaining. It is one of the least of the sx I've experienced over the past 9 months.

Blessings right back at ya!  ;)

--Ed

Thanks for all your replies.

I 've decided to make a cut of only .03 my very next cut and see what happens. I think my CNS has still not caught up with my cuts. So im going to slow down even more this next cut. ( in about a week). Then, if I don't get bad wfx. I'll go back to a .05 cut the next time I  cut.

Peace and healing to everyone,

Heathcliff

:smitten: :smitten:

Great news to share! I was so afraid of going from 3x per day dosing to 2x per day dosing (I've been on 3x or 4x per day this whole time, have gotten used to that middle-of-the-day dose). But guess what? This is night two and I've been nothing but happy to not have to take it!

No physical or psychological synptoms yet either, well, beyond the usual temple pulsing and losing the hearing in my left ear for about a minute. I guess you can tell I'm getting stronger and more resilient to the anxiety if those things, minor as they are, don't freak me out anymore.

Having said that, when a symptom freaks me out, it really freaks me out! And when the depression kicks in, it's the worst. But nothing yet, and day 2 is usually the worst for me. Wonder how tomorrow will be.

This clindamycin talk has me a little concerned! My partner is currently taking that prior to tooth extractions and a root canal. Is this a bad news drug for everyone or just for people on benzos? I am so damn scared of antibiotics now.

You guys are all really inspiring me with your bravery! Keep up the amazing work. We're getting there.

That's great news!  I only had about 1 or 2 rough days when I switched from 3x to 2x per day. Glad it's working out.

Best,

Ed

Just thinking ahead. I am not sick. But curious about antibiotics. I was not aware that you have to be careful with antibiotics when you are tapering off of Benzos. But I saw a post here about that.

Some one please explain.

Are there antibiotics I can not take if I get sick  while I am tapering Valium?

I am at 1.2 mg Valium.

I am in the USA.

Thanks.  Heathcliff

Just thinking ahead. I am not sick. But curious about antibiotics. I was not aware that you have to be careful with antibiotics when you are tapering off of Benzos. But I saw a post here about that.

Some one please explain.

I am at 1.2 mg Valium.

I am in the USA.

Thanks.  Heathcliff

The big ones to avoid are fluoroquinolones as they interact with GABA receptors (ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, anything that ends in floxacin). I took Keflex after my breast surgery and seemed to do fine with that. I am on Bactrim right now for a UTI, I think people have done OK with it but I'm having tummy troubles from it. I was already nauseous due to a rough cut and the Bactrim is not helping. But all antibiotics have the potential to upset your stomach so I was kind of stuck in that regard.

Some one please explain.

I am at 1.2 mg Valium.

I am in the USA.

Thanks.  Heathcliff

Fluoroquinolone antibiotics will reset the benzo receptors and put the person into a cold turkey withdrawal.

They also, are extremely dangerous with side effects that can cause permanent disability.

I don't know about any of the other antibiotics, but many have problems with others too.

Some one please explain.

I am at 1.2 mg Valium.

I am in the USA.

Thanks.  Heathcliff

Fluoroquinolone antibiotics will reset the benzo receptors and put the person into a cold turkey withdrawal.

They also, are extremely dangerous with side effects that can cause permanent disability.

I don't know about any of the other antibiotics, but many have problems with others too.

Mrtmeo,

I see on your mom's profile she got a quinolone twice during her taper!  Did it cause her make her go into withdrawals?  Did she ever have to use any other type of antibiotics?  How is she doing now by the way?  I know she has had a rough time.  I hope things are better.

I have taken Antibiotics at least twice while tapering. Once they were not the Quinolone type and the other time not. In both cases I had no real problems. I did have much increased anxiety when I had to take a prednisone prescription for a week. That was bad but when you weight the alternative of not being able to breath, well you do what you have to do.

Peace & Healing

ATU

I'm dosing Valium 2 times a day, 1.25mg at  930pm and 3.3mg at 530am. I'm so lethargic in the AM someone suggested dosing all at once at bedtime and I'm starting tonight. They said the half life of Valium should carry me 24hours. I guess we're our own lab rats.  Any feedback appreciated. Thank you.

I'm dosing Valium 2 times a day, 1.25mg at  930pm and 3.3mg at 530am. I'm so lethargic in the AM someone suggested dosing all at once at bedtime and I'm starting tonight. They said the half life of Valium should carry me 24hours. I guess we're our own lab rats.  Any feedback appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Mena,

I'd give anything to feel lethargic vs feeling the crazy anxiety I have going on right now. ;-)  Just another example of how different this voyage is for all of us.

Give it a shot and if it doesn't work, as you were.

Best,

Ed

The pharmacist told me the sedation effect lasts about eight hours so I think it's best to take it all at once at bedtime. That's what I have been doing since 12mg and I don't feel like I get interdose wd anxiety during the day.