Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Hello Vitania;

0.5 mg Xanax = 10 mg Valium, so 2.5 mg Xanax = 50 mg Valium.

It's no wonder you feel horrible, they cut your dose 20mg (or the equivalent) without a taper.

This is the conversion chart; http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

It is true generally that you can get away with large cuts in the beginning of your taper,

but that seems extreme to me. The wise move would have been to get you stabilized on the correct

amount of Valium (50mg) , and then see what cut you can tolerate. You might be able to drop to 40mg

in a week or two, but would have to slow way down towards the last third of your taper.

I started from 34mg Valium, look at my signature down below; I was able to make some large cuts

in the beginning, but now have slowed down. But still onward we go !

Good luck,

Justaman

JustDoToday, I don't know about the reduction rate but I definitely have the same feeling at certain points on certain days. I never had depression otherwise (except for during real mourning), so I do believe it's a benzo thing. I had it both with the Ativan and now with the Valium. I also think there's a real component to it... sort of the fact that our eyes are suddenly opened to the truth of our lives now that we're less numbed out by benzos, and we're left to deal with whatever we've been numb to all this time. That's how I feel, anyway. But it's OK to feel how you feel, and it always is temporary. Always good to remember that. I hope I can remember it when I'm where you are in about two months!

Thank you Solace, your PM's and replies are always full of insight and encouragement and I agree with what you say here. The depression hit again last night big time but tonight is slightly better. And I reached 2mg today, a milestone that seemed discouragingly a thousand years away at the start of this year. Now I just need to breathe my way through one day at a time and cross my fingers it doesn't become hellish beyond what I feel able to cope with because I've heard of some people really struggling under 2mg and that still scares me

And I reached 2mg today, a milestone that seemed discouragingly a thousand years away at the start of this year. Now I just need to breathe my way through one day at a time and cross my fingers it doesn't become hellish beyond what I feel able to cope with because I've heard of some people really struggling under 2mg and that still scares me

Congrats on reaching the 2mg point.

I found things were a little better in that the sx's tended to not last as long once below 1.5mg.

You will get there, but don't hurry.

Follow your body's healing and you will come out this so much better.

Just a quick update! I've done much better on this cut to 5 mg than I did on my cut to 6 mg. It was one of those cases where you feel better after the cut than you did before. Relatives kept asking if I should wait longer to cut, but I felt like my symptoms weren't too intolerable and it'll just encourage me to prolong the process if I wait when it isn't really necessary. When and if it's necessary, I'll know it! There will be no question about it.

I've felt extra sensitive in general but I'm also going through some emotional stuff right now so it may not even be benzo-related. On the plus side, I'm enjoying a two-week vacation (one week left!) and that has been nice. I had a couple of panicky nights but I breathed through them and survived. At the time, I felt like the world was ending, but then it just didn't. The more times I experience this and don't run from it, the stronger I'll become. This is definitely teaching me that I am more resilient than I ever knew... or reminding me of the resilience that I forgot, more accurately.

JustDoToday, what you said was so nice and I'm glad to hear that you're hanging in there too! 2 mg is amazing. I read somewhere (likely in this thread) that we're not even on a therapeutic dose once we're under 3 mg, so you are in the home stretch! It's pretty amazing. I know I'm not the only one here who is inspired by you!

Sending good vibes to everyone! :smitten:

SandP,

Congratulations! You're doing great and right on schedule. Pulling for you to keep on chugging along. You're right; we find out just how strong and resilient we can be during the process. Keep up the great work!

All the Best,

Ed

Just a quick update! I've done much better on this cut to 5 mg than I did on my cut to 6 mg. It was one of those cases where you feel better after the cut than you did before. Relatives kept asking if I should wait longer to cut, but I felt like my symptoms weren't too intolerable and it'll just encourage me to prolong the process if I wait when it isn't really necessary. When and if it's necessary, I'll know it! There will be no question about it.

You're making fantastic progress! I agree sometimes it's just best to cut after a certain time period even if you still have some symptoms. If I waited until I felt normal to cut, I'd never do it. I'm glad things are working out well for you.

You're making fantastic progress! I agree sometimes it's just best to cut after a certain time period even if you still have some symptoms. If I waited until I felt normal to cut, I'd never do it. I'm glad things are working out well for you.

I couldn't agree more.

... I had a couple of panicky nights but I breathed through them and survived. At the time, I felt like the world was ending, but then it just didn't. The more times I experience this and don't run from it, the stronger I'll become. This is definitely teaching me that I am more resilient than I ever knew... or reminding me of the resilience that I forgot, more accurately.

JustDoToday, what you said was so nice and I'm glad to hear that you're hanging in there too! 2 mg is amazing. I read somewhere (likely in this thread) that we're not even on a therapeutic dose once we're under 3 mg, so you are in the home stretch! It's pretty amazing. I know I'm not the only one here who is inspired by you!

Solace, you're definitely resilient and strong, and it's awesome the way you are breathing through those "panicky nights", I have them too and they're hell but breathing is more powerful than I knew this time last year, same as yoga...another thing I used to scoff at and swore I would never do.

I hope to God these panicky nights we have are just a benzo thing and not the new normal because I'd rather have a life time of twitchy eyes and loose bowels than the emotional and mental side effects

Hello. I am new here. I am on other forums too and have gotten wonderful help.

I came here because someone suggested that this Diazapam/ Valium support group could answer my question.

I have been having a very very difficult time with my taper the lower my dose is.  I had no problem getting from 7.5 to 1.50 mgs diazepam. When I cut down to 1.25 I hit a wall!

I held for two months with the help of the wonderfully supportive people in the long hold group.

And It helped a lot. But now when I tried to cut again, this time only a .05 cut, I again got pretty bad side effects.

Tell me please, is it normal to get moderately bad side effects with just a .05 cut?

Is it like this for most people when they get to low doses?

Am I going to have to make only about .03  cuts and have two week holds for every tiny cut?

If that's the way I have to do it, so be it. It will take me SOOO long t get off the Diazepam

Is there any hope that I will soon be able to make a .1 cut or even just a .06 mg cut, and not get crazy side effects? I was hoping to be able to cut 10% of my last dose each time, but with these Sfx effects, I am just too scared.

But I want to get off of this stuff!

Encouragement and advice please!  Heathcliff

I came here because someone suggested that this Diazapam/ Valium support group could answer my question.

I have been having a very very difficult time with my taper the lower my dose is.  I had no problem getting from 7.5 to 1.50 mgs diazepam. When I cut down to 1.25 I hit a wall!

I held for two months with the help of the wonderfully supportive people in the long hold group.

And It helped a lot. But now when I tried to cut again, this time only a .05 cut, I again got pretty bad side effects.

Tell me please, is it normal to get moderately bad side effects with just a .05 cut?

Am I going to have to make only about .03  cuts and have two week holds for every tiny cut?

If that's the way I have to do it, so be it. It will take me SOOO long t get off the Diazepam

Is there any hope that I will soon be able to make a .1 cut or even just a .06 mg cut, and not get crazy side effects? I was hoping to be able to cut 10% of my last dose each time, but with these Sfx effects, I am just too scared.

Health cliff,

I thought I was the only one who got hit so bad from such small cuts.

I am at 1.7 mg. I cut .05 as my normal cut now. And man, do I feel it. So your not alone just cut and then hold until you can move on. I cut faster on an earlier attempt and got hit so bad I had to back to 3 mgs and start down again. This time I'm going very slow and listening to my body.

Peace & Healing

ATU

All done. About to end this All. Has anyone EVER beat this stuff?????????

Yes, people DO beat this stuff. And you can too!  Head over to the success stories for proof that it can be done.  I know this isn't easy; in fact, it can be horrible/horrifying.  BUT YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Best,

Ed

Snowstorm Yep people do beat this stuff - look at Shamo and me and so many others - we are off and feeling much better. 

Health cliff,

I thought I was the only one who got hit so bad from such small cuts.

I am at 1.7 mg. I cut .05 as my normal cut now. And man, do I feel it. So your not alone just cut and then hold until you can move on. I cut faster on an earlier attempt and got hit so bad I had to back to 3 mgs and start down again. This time I'm going very slow and listening to my body.

Peace & Healing

ATU

alltiedup and anyone else who can offer support or wants to join in....

Oh thank you so much for responding. You made me feel so much better.

It is so discouraging to have to cut such small amounts and still get slammed with major side effects. I feel for you! At least I know it happens to others, not just me. I've heard from others also that the going gets very tough the lower you go. And you have to make very small cuts.

I WILL NOT GIVE UP so don't you give up either!

I'm sorry you are experiencing this too. 

how long do you usually have to hold for the side effects to calm down and you are ready to cut again?.. Just curious, if you don't mind telling me.

I'm going to wait another month I guess and see if I get Windows, please.god! And I may cut only .03 next time and see what hsppens. I want off this stuff but I can not stand to do it at a pace that gives me such horrible side effects and destroys my life. So slow I go.

I was ready to give up, but I. HAVE TO GO ON AS I PROMISED MYSELF.

IWILL KEEP IN TOUCH ON THIS SUPPORT GROUP . ILL LOOK FOR YOUR POSTS.

PEACE HEALING, AND ONWARD TOWARDS YOUR GOAL. 

MAY YOUR JUMP BE AS EASY AND AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE!

Heathcliff :-\

Oh I just looked more closely at you signature.

It looks like you have been waiting about a month between each cut.

I guess that is as slow as I will have to go too.

I can't decide if I should try a .05 cut again next time or cut only.03 to see what happens.

Suggestions ?  youve been at it longer than me.

Heathcliff,

Sometimes just as I am getting ready to cut again, the symptoms return. Then I have to hold a bit longer.

It used to be when I cut, I would be fine for 10-12 days or do then the sxs would hit. They would last a week or there abouts. Then I would start to feel better. This cycle would last about 24-30 days.

Now when I cut, I feel some sxs in the first 7 days then a lull then bad sxs day 20-25 then the recovery starts.

Of course if I have a high stress event to attend to like a dental appointment or a funeral or such, I wait until they are past before cutting.

I have however remained more or less functional with the exception of only a few days where I need to lock myself away from the world.

My sxs are for the most part physical,...severe muscle pain particularly in my upper body! Sleep is poor, headaches, heart palms, IBS stuff.

I try to remain optimistic about this stuff. I have read of others where they hit a level when the sxs seem to get much less,..others experience the sxs all the way down. I hope I am lucky to fall into the former grouping.

Acceptance,acceptance, that's the prime medicine for me. I no longer or at least for much shorter time periods get worked up about my situation or the pain of suffering. I find that when we fight these sxs or withdraw inside ourselves we just make them worse and last longer.

I tell myself over and over,..these feelings and sensations are disturbing but not dangerous and so Zi try hard not to attach any thoughts of danger or fear. If we do the cycle of sxs fear more sxs just rolls on.

You are doing extremely well you are so low. You will be fine  :thumbsup:

Peace & Healing

:smitten:

ATU

Thanks ATU,

Your words are encouraging. Ive just got to keep  remembering not to rush my taper. And not to cut more than 10% of my last dose each time I cut.

It's soo hard to go so slow but I know if I rush, I'll just mess myself up and wind up having to slow down and hold even longer, thereby wasting more time.

My problem is, I KNOW WHAT TO DO. But I have trouble being patient and doing what I know I should!

I wish I was emotionally a stronger person.

I wish my pdoc would support my slow taper. He lets me do it, but he thinks I'm wrong  to prolong things so long. If he experienced the sfx, maybe he'd really understand!!

! : :smitten: :smitten:

Heathcliff

Does anyone have an idea regarding at what dose it is okay to exceed 10% cuts? We'd never finish if the 10% threshold was never crossed.

Thanks,

Ed

ATU,

I see you have been cutting .05 each time. I would love to cut tha much. This last  time I did, and I got some pretty moderate to difficult side effects for about a week to ten days, and I am still holding to see how long it will take for them to disappear. My sfx are mostly pohysical also.

How long does it take for your sfx to disappear or get so much better that you know you are ready to cut again?

I never know how long I should wait once my sfx diminish, to cut again.

Some say it's good to wait until they are totally gone, it I don't think they will ever be totally gone until I get off the Valium totally.

Heathcliff

Does anyone have an idea regarding at what dose it is okay to exceed 10% cuts? We'd never finish if the 10% threshold was never crossed.

Thanks,

Ed

"2/21 Milk tit" ? I'd like to explore this avenue of dosing !

-Justaman

Thanks,

Ed

"2/21 Milk tit" ? I'd like to explore this avenue of dosing !

-Justaman

Why do you think I began 3X per day vs 2X at this point in the taper?  Lol!

Edzo  nd Justaman,

I know it is impossible to get to 0 when you make 10% cuts.

I am not sure but I think  most people who are doing the 10% cuts usually jump when they are below .5 mgs .  I guess how far below .5 is. an individual thing.

They say the lower you are when you jump, the less chance of side effects.

I just can't wait  until I am even close to  .5 mg. I am at 1.2 mg and it still seems so far away to be able to jump.

I make tiny cuts becUse I get sfx even with small amounts of  cuts.

I'd love to be able to do .05 cuts , just until I can get to 1mg. But my last .05 cut gave me some bad sfx. I'm not sure if I can do that again or not

Heathcliff

Edzo  nd Justaman,

I know it is impossible to get to 0 when you make 10% cuts.

I am not sure but I think  most people who are doing the 10% cuts usually jump when they are below .5 mgs .  I guess how far below .5 is. an individual thing.

They say the lower you are when you jump, the less chance of side effects.

I just can't wait  until I am even close to  5 mg. I am at 1.2 mg and it still seems so far away to be able to jump.

I make tiny cuts becUse I get sfx even with small amounts of  cuts.

I'd love to be able to do .05 cuts , just until I can get to 1mg. But my last .05 cut gave me some bad sfx. I'm not sure if I can do that again or not

Heathcliff

Yes, Heath, this can be quite a battle. Everyone's path is different--unfortunately. I've been at spots in my taper (from 5.4mg to 4.2mg) where I was getting hit hard even cutting by .02 or .03.  Finally, at 4.2mg, I said heck with it and cut by a full .2. Sure I felt lousy, but no more lousy than I did when I was cutting by tiny little amounts. Since then, I have just dealt with the sx and been cutting by .25mg at a pop. Sure I feel horrid during days 2.5 to 4 or so, but then I begin to level out. Will I be able to continue in this manner? Who knows!  If I can't, I'll just go back to trying new things until I see what works for me.  All you can do in this situation is try to sort out what works for you.  It's easy to become paralyzed by all the options that others give you. At the end of the day, you just have to decide on which direction YOU want to take.

Best,

Ed

Thanks,

Ed

I remember someone saying on the cut & hold thread percentages don't make much difference once you hit 2mg and below. Obviously mileage may vary. I'm planning to cut .25mg all the way down if possible.

Edzo,  , I like your mind set! Maybe I will try cutting .05 again . But also hold a bit longer, till more side effects diminish.  If the side effects are the same, I might as well go for it.

I'm just afraid  of getting some of the side effects that I ve read about that I have not gotten....yet!

I don't think I could stand to have vertigo, or be nauseous all day long.

Right now my worst sfx are horrible neck and low back pain, and parathesia shakes throughout my body. Trust me. That is bad enough!

I guess I won't make up my mind until the time comes! I am sooooo indecisive! And scared!

Heeathcliff