Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

I might metabolize it too quickly. But I am doing 3 doses.. 5 mg at 9 am, 2.5mg at 5 and 5mg at bedtime. I think I'm going to try to start working the nighttime dose down now because I'm using remeron for sleep. I'm actually getting decent sleep. Basically now I'm just using the Valium to combat the withdrawal symptoms. I'm anxious to get to 10 mg a day. Then I decide if I slow taper or jump at high dose.

Pitchman 10mg would be a huge jump and you'd get pretty severe SX I would think for a long time if you did that...I know it sucks but if you keep chipping away you will get there.

Be careful, Pitchman. That would be a pretty big jump. Not preaching; just concerned for a fellow benzo buddy.

--Ed

Thanks for the concern guys. I'm sure the wd would be pretty gnarly for 2-3 weeks. Isn't 10mg of Valium  about the same as withdrawing from .5 mg of Xanax? Sometimes I get depressed and think of alternatives. I have health insurance in the US. I  could get to 10 mg, tell place I need a detox whether they really know what they are doing or not and quit for about 4 days before entering. I'm thinking I would need 21 days with the Valium. Is this just stupid thinking or a possible way to get off quicker? I can't jump from that dose on my own because I live alone and would be concerned about that.

Thanks for the concern guys. I'm sure the wd would be pretty gnarly for 2-3 weeks. Isn't 10mg of Valium  about the same as withdrawing from .5 mg of Xanax? Sometimes I get depressed and think of alternatives. I have health insurance in the US. I  could get to 10 mg, tell place I need a detox whether they really know what they are doing or not and quit for about 4 days before entering. I'm thinking I would need 21 days with the Valium. Is this just stupid thinking or a possible way to get off quicker? I can't jump from that dose on my own because I live alone and would be concerned about that.

In all honesty, maybe you'd get lucky or maybe you'd get thrown into protracted and suffer for years. I wouldn't take that risk, but ultimately we all walk on our own path and make our own decisions. All I ask is that you just be as informed as you can about the possible repercussions of a jump from that dose.  There's definitely a correlation between those who Cold Turkey or jump from a larger dose and those suffering with a protracted withdrawal.  I also hate how long and painful this tapering experience is, but I'm still trying to do it in a safe and conservative way.

Thank you for the reply Ed. I think with it being Father's Day here n the US today and I saw my dad just makes me want to get off this stuff faster so I can be myself but slow might just be better for me. I'm a naturally anxious person. I need to learn some coping skills. I apologize for taking up space on the board whining tonight.

Thank you for the reply Ed. I think with it being Father's Day here n the US today and I saw my dad just makes me want to get off this stuff faster so I can be myself but slow might just be better for me. I'm a naturally anxious person. I need to learn some coping skills. I apologize for taking up space on the board whining tonight.

You aren't whining at all!  This is the reason we are all here--to be supportive of one another. And to bounce ideas and suggestions off of each other for coping with this.  I hope you have a peaceful evening. Time to try to hit the sack.

Take care,

Ed

You are not whining! You're asking important questions and getting the answers that you need. My advice would be to learn those coping skills now rather than after your taper. Admittedly I'm not yet experiencing many physical side effects yet, but I am naturally anxious as well, and coping skills have been an absolute lifesaver for me during this process. Primarily Claire Weekes' methods, as well as meditation, and losing myself in fiction whether it's a book, a movie, or TV. One thing I learned from this whole experience... fun is not an "extra" in life that you can do without. It's necessary. If all you do is work and sleep, you will burn out. And you have to find ways to have some fun even during these tapers. Even if it's a teeny tiny amount of fun. It really, really helps. At least for me.  :) Wishing you and everyone else well!

Just remember its NOT about " getting off" the drugs. Its about allowing your brain to heal and it will heal at the pace its going to heal regardless of what you decide to do or when you do it. Its always best to listen to your brain and your body. If you cant hear what its telling you, then yes you have to decide, but make that decision very carefully. Its not like heroin where you go through a few hellish weeks. Its your body chemistry restoring a balance between two very powerful neurotransmitters and right now, one is winning the battle. Your own GABA receptors have to heal so they can work with you. Stay strong, and never think you are whining. Lord knows if I didnt have the people on this board after I went into IDWDs with xanax and ambien I would have listened to my doctor and who knows what kind of mess I would have ended up in! You can do it- just focus on healing and not on the drug. Its all about becoming whole again. Good luck!!

Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to stick with slow and steady for now and see how that goes. I think I just get frustrated I can't move along more quickly and my ears ring quite often.

hi BB need help, I'm copying and pasting my original post on the forum LeslieAsh suggested I post here for any suggestions on what to do from here on in, I'm really struggling

Can somebody please help with taper, I get to 3mg, then struggle, then updose went up to 4, then 4.5 then anxiety, complete panic, didn't know where is was, who I was, I rescue dosed 20mg a week ago, got back to 5mg, the same thing happened today took another rescue of 20mg.  very high I know, I'm sooooooo freaking disappointed angry and still feel crap.  I really don't know how to do this and what to do.  The sx's are too intense to the point nothing feels real and thats when I crawl shaking to my cupboard to take the rescue. Im crawling to my cupboard for drugs and Im a parent, Im ashamed of myself.

My worry is i don't want this to become a regular thing, but when it happens, I really, really feel i have no option, I go to bed petrified, in the hope I won't wake up, & I wake up and Im still petrified this is so horrible, horrid, demeaning, I hate this drug. 

Someone suggested I stay at 5mg, for as long as I need to, my worry is, as I have heard many times rescue doses are dangerous and holding for a long time makes it more difficult to cut.

Please help, I really don't know what to do, someone tell me I'm gonna be ok, Im scared.

btw, ignore my signature, I don't know what the heck, or where i am with it right now!

Modify message

hi BB need help, I'm copying and pasting my original post on the forum LeslieAsh suggested I post here for any suggestions on what to do from here on in, I'm really struggling

Can somebody please help with taper, I get to 3mg, then struggle, then updose went up to 4, then 4.5 then anxiety, complete panic, didn't know where is was, who I was, I rescue dosed 20mg a week ago, got back to 5mg, the same thing happened today took another rescue of 20mg.  very high I know, I'm sooooooo freaking disappointed angry and still feel crap.  I really don't know how to do this and what to do.  The sx's are too intense to the point nothing feels real and thats when I crawl shaking to my cupboard to take the rescue. Im crawling to my cupboard for drugs and Im a parent, Im ashamed of myself.

My worry is i don't want this to become a regular thing, but when it happens, I really, really feel i have no option, I go to bed petrified, in the hope I won't wake up, & I wake up and Im still petrified this is so horrible, horrid, demeaning, I hate this drug. 

Someone suggested I stay at 5mg, for as long as I need to, my worry is, as I have heard many times rescue doses are dangerous and holding for a long time makes it more difficult to cut.

Please help, I really don't know what to do, someone tell me I'm gonna be ok, Im scared.

btw, ignore my signature, I don't know what the heck, or where i am with it right now!

Modify message

First off, congratulations on coming all the way down from 50mg. You've come a long way. What it appears to me is that you continued to taper at a pace that was quite appropriate for the higher levels of Valium that you were on, but is too rapid a taper for your current dosage. In other words, your cuts caught up to you.

Check out Schedule 2 of the Ashton Taper:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

According to Ashton, from 14mg on, you should only be reducing 1mg per 1-2 weeks MAX.  Many on here, including myself, eventually find even this taper rate to be a bit too aggressive. I'd consider reinstating a level that feels manageable to you and restarting your taper a bit more slowly.  It's easy to get impatient, but a slow taper where you give your body time to heal seems to work best for most.

All the best,

Ed

thank you Ed,

didn't consider that my taper may have caught up with me, you guys have such wise words and suggestions thank you, think I may be manageable at 5mg, Im going to try and hold at that for a few weeks before cut

thank you Ed,

didn't consider that my taper may have caught up with me, you guys have such wise words and suggestions thank you, think I may be manageable at 5mg, Im going to try and hold at that for a few weeks before cut

I think that's a great idea. You might even want to make your first cut .5mg.  Many on here doing a cut and hold method max out at 10% of their total dosage once they get down to 5mg--which, obviously, would be .5mg. I'm only doing 5% and I definitely get slammed (and get back up) for a brief spell.  If your body heals in one week rather than 2 weeks, you can always cut another .5mg. This is much easier than cutting a full 1mg and finding out "too late" it was too much.

--Ed

A few months ago I did a cut from 3 down to 2. It was hell on earth. Severe depression like ive never experienced before. Just getting through a few minutes in a day was excruciating. So yes I agree, as you get lower definitely reduce the amounts you cut.

Sarlom and Buddies here,

I have had problems since 4 mg Valium and I seem to be doing okay again. The key is to cut less for me. I am using the scales and shaving off a tiny bit. I have gone to 1/8th of a tablet cut now and it is easier than a quarter (.75) or half (.5). I cut the first amount with daily cuts for a while, did not feel them at all. Being at 3.5 mg now is a relief. I truly thought I would be going up to 4 mg forever. The most important thing is to remain calm and believe in yourself. There is no date or time for the end of this journey, just go with it. There are no medals for any of us at the end of it....don't make it more difficult for yourself. Shave off a bit daily or cut less. You will get there as quick as before, just a different way. I cut from 30 mg 2 years ago and am feeling so much better now on good days. I can "feel" again. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Love Moya XX

Hi Moya,

yes the 4mg mark is a nightmare, i really thank you for your post, made me realise I'm not alone, thankfully I have scales and I am definitely going to take on board what you have suggested.  I need to stabilise first and I feel I can do that at 5mg for around 3 wks (I'm praying this works).  I need to stop beating up on myself and believing in myself.  And I need to keep remembering I have to do whats right for me, over the past couple of days I've realised I have to have patience, this drug has robbed me since 1991, I refuse to allow it to rob me another 25yrs. Just gotta stabilise, wish me luck.

Congrats on getting to 3.5 thats wonderfully amazing that your there and feeling so positive :thumbsup:

thank you Ed, yes really need to slow up with this taper, after stabilising I'm going to try the 5% you suggested, if thats too much I shall go even slower, Ive really been learning the hard way the past few days/wks (sheer stupidity), I need to be wise with this taper, and hey-ho, if it takes longer, it takes longer, just as long as i get there right?

Turtle V taperer here- after my cross from x I ended up at 11 mg v and held a few weeks then started my turtle taper. My total g weight of pills is about .350 g and Im cutting .001 a day. The first 2 weeks were a bit rough, so I went to .001 every other day- figuring well thats 2 years instead of 1!- but after a week I moved back to cutting that smidge each night. Its better. I will keep cutting .001 a night and if I hit a snag I will go back to every other night. Whether its 1 year or 2, I was on xanax and ambien for 16 years - so either way is fine with me. As long as its ok with my doctor!

Libr I think for many people daily tapers don't work.  I know that Moya and Ellen (see her blog) do small cuts doing cut and hold.  At the very low doses I think they hold for a long time between the cuts.  Since the daily taper didn't work for you perhaps what they and others have done will.

Sharlom: I just wanted to say I hit various 'brick walls' on my taper down.  It is hard to know why and I think you are doing the right thing and I hope the hold helps you. If it doesn't then perhaps you are like some others here (me for one) and that is we just had to do grit your teeth mode and taper and then lo and behold we felt better. 

I have no idea anymore about the why's and wherefore's of this entire process. Nothing to be honest makes sense to me except - to go as slow as you need to and to find out what works for you. Unfortunately for many of us that has been a lot of trial and error and mistakes but eventually we find out what works and just keep on going on.

Kitty:  Just know the cuts will catch up to you.  I have used this schedule to get off - it is just a bit slower but gives your body at least a one day break to 'catch up':  c/c/c/h. Another good pace many use is 10 cuts in 14 days.  The issue with Valium I think is a long half life so you can get 'hit' big time when the cuts start catching up to you.  The rate I use allows me to cut .5mg every month. 

Kgirl, good idea to let things catch up as once you get to far ahead it`s nasty and whats a few more days my friend!

I thought maybe some of you could help. I crossed over to valium to taper, but I'm taking Prilosec 40 m for stomach issues. Been on it for longer than the benzo by about a month. I told my doc the valium was interacting with the prilosec but she didn't seem concerned.  How will it effect my taper? I reduced my night time dose to .625 because I 've been so sleepy.  How exactly does it interact? Should I speed up or slow down my taper? I'm so lost now. I had a few good days over the past week and a half. What should I do? I can't taper both at the same time!

I thought maybe some of you could help. I crossed over to valium to taper, but I'm taking Prilosec 40 m for stomach issues. Been on it for longer than the benzo by about a month. I told my doc the valium was interacting with the prilosec but she didn't seem concerned.  How will it effect my taper? I reduced my night time dose to .625 because I 've been so sleepy.  How exactly does it interact? Should I speed up or slow down my taper? I'm so lost now. I had a few good days over the past week and a half. What should I do? I can't taper both at the same time!

PPI's are dangerous and I tapered my mom off them over about 3 months (while she was tapering valium) and she was on them for 10 months.

It is tuff because they cause severe rebound acid reflux even in healthy volunteers that never had heartburn.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19362552