Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Hey guys

I am on day 12 since I jumped and yesterday started feeling like crap.  My understanding is that the drug has a half life of up to 200 hours.  Does that mean that I could be feeling the sxs of the drug still in me?

I like that comment.  Valium... The gift that keeps on giving.

K

Hey guys

I am on day 12 since I jumped and yesterday started feeling like crap.  My understanding is that the drug has a half life of up to 200 hours.  Does that mean that I could be feeling the sxs of the drug still in me?

I like that comment.  Valium... The gift that keeps on giving.

K

Sounds like you are experiencing increased symptoms as the drug works it's way out of your system. You still have some healing to do. Hang in there. You will be OK! Congratulations on being off  :)

Keeka, sorry you're feeling unwell. I was reading over the last couple of pages and thinking about your earlier post, "That will be me some day; so looking forward to that".

Well gang, I got shocked yesterday. My psych nurse prac dropped me. I should say, her supervising psychiatrists (and the head of the treatment facility) told her she can't supervise me on a microtaper. So she said, "My recommendation is that you go to (either of 2 different treatment centers, one of which my insurance does not cover) where you will have the safest way to come off your medication". She did apologize for giving me the idea that she would do a taper with me, and this time she didn't make me feel like an addict. But it's c/t Tx or nothing. One more refill and bye-bye. She was not willing to consider the reality of many people's protracted w/d Sx due to a c/t. She's in her 60's and said she's seen many many patients succeed with the Tx center protocol "lots of phenobarbitol". No reply to my mention of protracted w/d Sx, people who go along with MD's and suffer in silence, the inability to work for months for some, all the other drugs they are put on and then have to come off of, etc. Sigh.

So I'm going to see the one MD in this area who is known for V tapers. Called the office and have first appt on June 16th. It's a 2 hour drive and will cost a significant up front payment and then also self payments for each appointment. But he has a stellar reputation, has been recommended by a few buddies and is highly rated on Yelp. At least now I have the energy to go. Interestingly he only takes Medicare. I admire that the Medicare folks have a top-notch doc to go to. Well so much for my taper starting the 15th. Maybe I'll start on July 1. I believe there's a reason for everything. At least I'll finally be seeing an MD who has compassion and understanding. HM

Also feeling iffy.  Pushed to get to grandsons birthday.  It went well.  I did have to go to escape a few minutes here and there.  Got home late woke up shaky realized missed last dose.  Oh no. Took it then an will change times as I was literally trembling .  Too see some of the family helped alot to lift the spirits.  It's the posts of how people are coping and what they are doing!  Thanks everybody!

Healingme: It is incredible to me that doctors and nurse practitioners manage to put us all on these drugs with no understanding of how to get a large % of the population they RX them to OFF OF THEM!!!  It drives me nuts.  I would email your nurse practitioner the taper made here for benzo day of the people in protracted and say to her - gee you think these people from around the world are making this up!! Since s/he is no longer Rxing to you - well!!

One note Bennie on the KK board I think lives somewhere in N California i realize it is a big state but perhaps PM her and ask if she knows of a someone closer to you - just a thought - or do a thread I think there was one before for doctors or Nurse practitioners in your neck of the woods so to speak - someone may know.

Good luck and you will do this - but not in the way your past doctors wanted - you will do it safely and get off.   

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been asked before. Is anyone tapering using Liquid Valium? Can you use it the same way as a liquid titration? That is, making smaller cuts over the course of a week or two, instead of cut/hold method. I'm thinking of asking my pdoc to switch me over to liquid V, if that is the case. Also, anyone has used Liquid Valium or Titration did you find it easier on your sxs's? Thanks

ha

I used Rx liquid V and tablets to taper off of V.  Much easier, more tolerable than C&H.

See my siggy.

More info here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=135284.0

Healingme, sooo crummy of your nurse to drop you and suggest detox (like to see HER try that), but glad to hear you've been able to suss out that V doctor to get help with a microtaper, fingers crossed. It's not easy finding someone like that, and not fun to have to travel quite a bit, and pay out of pocket sometimes-but I'd say it's WELL worth the effort. Hope things go as planned :thumbsup:!!

HM, that is TERRIBLE, but your positive attitude about it is AMAZING. Keeping cool and figuring out a better way was the best thing you could have done. Truly inspiring. You will find a way to get where you want to be, that is for certain!

Everyone else including Keeka and Surviving, I'm sorry to hear that you've hit some snags and bad days. Sending lots of positive energy your way.

As for me, it has been one week since I started tapering. Next cut is June 15th. I'm a bit behind the doc's schedule for me since I started after Memorial Day instead of directly after my last appointment, but he doesn't really have to knoe that and it's less than a week's difference.

Still doing good. I got out and walked at a couple of parks over the weekend and I'm having a good work week. The only symptom I'm really having is feeling like I've got an insect crawling on my scalp. Stomach is more sensitive too, but I dealt with that on my A taper so it's not freaking me out. I have not felt the weird head sensations since day 2 and 3, and even those weren't bad.

Nervous about that next cut? You bet. But I'm trying hard to just focus on other things and deal with side effects as they happen. I'm also working with a counselor online now, which is helping me to stay mindful and not get lost in regret or worry.

I am scared for the rest of the way down... especially the second half... but already I can tell that a V taper is a hell of a lot better than an A taper. That, from the get-go, was terrifying. I should have done the switch from the start.

Grateful for you guys. Hang in there! We're gonna make it! :thumbsup:

Wow I can't say how good it feels to log on and see supportive replies to my posts.  :)

Kgirl10, thanks for your input. I was a step ahead, had given her some key Ashton info 2 visits earlier which she read, I had the spreadsheets all ready for her and the first pages by Colin delineating a liquid taper. I'm still mad because I spent some time getting all that for her. I appreciate your ideas about another doc but seriously i've been through so many docs I'm just going to Maddill at this point. Someone wrote that you don't have to see him every month so maybe it won't be too bad.

bablatrice, yes I agree about the NP and putting me in c/t detox. I sincerely believe that if these MD's would be subjected to moderate w/d Sx for 1 hour, everything would change dramatically for us on all levels. Since spinal issues were marginally the reason I was Rx'd these drugs, I've come to the conclusion that my next "pain management" doc will be an older one. I will straight-out ask, if it's a multi-practice. My chiro back home had dealt with sports injuries, and he understands the reality of nerve pain, at least. Although this NP is older, I thinks it's more that she's stuck in the paradigm she's in. I think she was actually trying to explore this with me but the pressure from the system was too much.

solaceandpeace I hope you, as to everyone, are having a good day. Congrats on starting your V taper. That rate was too fast for me, I think it's great that you can do it. As for me having a cool head, thanks but I think it's resignation more than anything. I did actually yell at her a couple times before, well, raised my voice. And last time I told her directly that putting people in c/t detox is wrong, more than once. She had to pick a system so she stayed with hers.

Oh BTW gang I just read last night on the Internet that one state, darn can't recall which, maybe Virginia, is allowing people to sue the pain docs who Rx'd them the medications that got them addicted in the first place. Cool or what? I can't wait. I'm going to GET that doc back home if Hawaii legislates that rule. Not for money but to make a point.  :tickedoff:

Love and aloha to everyone, Charlotte

Hey Healingme...I live on Oahu...Kaiser Dr. put me on these evil pills...and when I tried to get off all I got from her was "I know you need to wean slowly" but no ideas on what that meant. So yeah-these dumb doctors sure can Rx these things with NO EXIT plans to get off. I am moving to Idaho end of the month and will be seeing a Dr. there that specializes in benzo tapering so am excited to work with someone who knows what the heck they are doing...

...and I will be paying out of pocket...by the time this whole thing is over it will have cost me a lot financially-probably bankrupt me....but it will all be worth it to be OFF these things and feel NORMAL again and have a life!!!

solaceandpeace I hope you, as to everyone, are having a good day. Congrats on starting your V taper. That rate was too fast for me, I think it's great that you can do it. As for me having a cool head, thanks but I think it's resignation more than anything. I did actually yell at her a couple times before, well, raised my voice. And last time I told her directly that putting people in c/t detox is wrong, more than once. She had to pick a system so she stayed with hers.

Well, I'm only 1 mg down so far so we'll see if I can really keep it up! :o It seems crazy but I just want this ordeal to be over so I'm hoping mind over matter can tide me through... of course I've seen many people try that and fail, so I'm prepared for that too. I'm optimistic but cautious.

I know what you mean about resignation too. That was pretty much my reaction to my doc suddenly flipping the script from reducing 1 mg per month to 2 mg per month. I was terrified but I could see he wasn't going to budge. And like I said, he's always so positive and encouraging about it that it's hard to ever disagree with him! I tried though. All I can do is my best, and then if it fails, either lie and go slower or go to the psychiatrist who may or may not agree to a slower taper anyway.

Sigh. :idiot:

Anyone know any great doc to help with taper in the Maryland/DC area??

Not sure where to post this. I'm at my wits end.

Kind....got you on the desperation.  Not sure about washington for. A dr.  What I can tell you I have found little help until I found this site.  It's here I found out how to taper and people can guide you to links.  The is what they call The Ashton Manual.  The most well known and tried directions.

It was 6 years before I realized the medication had backfired and in fact I had become addicted without hesitation went to the dr told him I must get off these.  He was of little help. Just stay on them it's easier he said.  COME ON !

Anyway here I've found help and am looking for another Dr.  It's scary. 

Down from 165mg Valium to just under today and sorry to say it is slow going it's been a year.  It looks like it will be 5 more months to get rid of this last amount. 

I wish you well.  Seems we all reach out here for direction experience and Sharon.  Dolly

Hi there... Hope that was a typo and its 16.5 mgs, not 165 mgs... Whew!

Day 14 for me since jump.  Stats say the longest the drug is in my system is 400 hours which means 18.5 days. 

Does anyone know if at this point, I could still be feeling the effects of the drug in my system?

I still am dealing with dizziness and feeling weak.  Head rush when I get up too.

Thanks k

Hi there Keeka,

So glad you are off. Your body is still used to that crap and doesn't want to let go. Feel blessed you are so far along. I'm proud of you. You were one of the few who responded to my post when was having a bad day. Matter of fact , I'm having a bad day today. I'm hoping this is just second leg off a small cut. I've got stomach cramping really bad. Not eating much again. I will take physical pain over mental any day of the week though.

You're almost there Keeka!!! Stay positive.

Hey pitchman.  Thanks for the encouraging words.  I am so sick of feeling weak.  Not bad.. Others wouldn't be able to see it, but I can feel it as I talk to them..

Sorry to hear you are having a bad day.  I don't know how people can work when they are going through this shit.  Again... It's not super bad, just so disappointing...

K

Keeka such great news it gives me hope.

Pitchman I used to get those a heating pad helped me.  I lived with one on my stomach. 

Anyone know any great doc to help with taper in the Maryland/DC area??

Not sure where to post this. I'm at my wits end.

libr, PM me, I live in the Washington, DC area and am working with a very compassionate doctor in Tysons Corner (Vienna) VA.

Left xx

No it was not a typo. The doc gave me conzepam then onto 165 mg of Valium and assured me not to worry.

Ya 165mg.  Now coming off this is unreal.  I am down to just over 12mg. And it has been a year.  I had to understand you cannot come off this stuff quickly.  Sigh....Dolly. Xxxooo

Are you sure it is Valium? I can not imagine any doctor being allowed to prescribe that as a daily dose. What is the exact name of your benzo on the prescription bottle? I have never heard of conzepam either?  What dose of that were you on?

Also, it states in your signature that in 2015 when you were on 165MG V, you would try not to take it at times, "only if real bad". I do not mean to offend, but your story makes no sense to me.

No it was not a typo. The doc gave me conzepam then onto 165 mg of Valium and assured me not to worry.

Ya 165mg.  Now coming off this is unreal.  I am down to just over 12mg. And it has been a year.  I had to understand you cannot come off this stuff quickly.  Sigh....Dolly. Xxxooo

DAILY??? Oh my God. If so, it is nothing short of a miracle that you have managed to reduce so far so fast, and you should be incredibly proud of yourself. Heck, if you can do that, then I can do this! Wow. :thumbsup:

Day 12 of my first cut and still doing well. Some recent events in the news have triggered my PTSD a bit and I've been having vivid nightmares, but I wake up with a "well, that was interesting" feeling rather than being freaked out. That's typical for me with starting and stopping both benzos and Vicodin.

The stomach cramps are getting to me again and I have so many family members worried that it's an ulcer or something more serious, but I've only had this when cutting benzos, so I'm trying to stay cool about it and just not eat junk in the meantime. Not that I didn't enjoy half a Snickers at work this afternoon. Hey, you gotta live a little. ;)

I took on a crazy work assignment for the next week that is double the pay and probably more than double the work, but at least I'm at the beginning of my taper right now. Staying cool about it and not letting it stress me out. It's a heavy workload but if I can't handle it, I can have them reassign some to someone else. I REALLY want that money though. :smitten: Trying to pay off debt and every little bit counts!

Oh, I did have a tiny bit of tinnitus last night. Nothing intolerable (I had high-pitched ringing for three months solid after my first vertigo attacks, and if THAT didn't drive me crazy, I figure I can handle anything, lol).

Thinking about the halfway point is what makes me nervous, but I know that worrying gets me nowhere so I try not to think about it. The halfway point was where I lost it with my Ativan taper. I've probably said that a time or two already. Ah, these lovely memory problems. But who has time to worry about it when there's so much work to do? :crazy:

Speaking of which, I'd better get back to it. Sending love and peace to all of you. None of us ever wanted to be in this boat, but we are indeed strengthened by this experience even if we can't see that just yet. Hang in there.

Actually I did spell clonxzepam wrong.  I was in the hospital at that amount.  They say my tolerance to diazepam generic name for Valium is very high.  I actually do not remember the doses of clonxzepam or how long I was on that exactly.  Yes I would try not taking  it I would have terrible withdrawls.  Truly thought I was losing it.

Now another Dr. Suggested changing it.  My doctor disagrees and says this is the better one to come off of.  Well it was rough I shook it out alot.  Too much.  The doctor seems to have no interest in the Ashton manual.

Believe it or not that's what he had me up too. Wish it wasn't true.  I am in Canada, maybe the laws are different here.  I demanded to taper as I realized the drug was actually causing me more anxiety and then panic attacks.  I hate the stuff.  Feel ill just looking at it.  Oh I realized even more getting on this site as how much that is.  How dangerous and he did not warn me of these things. 

Maybe my signature could be better written.  I began it from when I started to seriously taper.  Without input.  I don't care about that.  Just do the best I can on here with peoples advice and experience.

Now I know I need another doctor.  At this point I might as well finish this off with him.  The pharmacist has been helpful too.

I remember the day I found this site.  Could barely see the keys for tears.  Was a long time finding my way around and getting on here.  Thanks to some very kind people they helped get me going.  (Normally that amount of drug would kill a person I know now...it's the high tolerance my body built up to it.

I feel for those that are coming off more than one drug!

Actually I did spell clonxzepam wrong.  I was in the hospital at that amount.  They say my tolerance to diazepam generic name for Valium is very high.  I actually do not remember the doses of clonxzepam or how long I was on that exactly.  Yes I would try not taking  it I would have terrible withdrawls.  Truly thought I was losing it.

Now another Dr. Suggested changing it.  My doctor disagrees and says this is the better one to come off of.  Well it was rough I shook it out alot.  Too much.  The doctor seems to have no interest in the Ashton manual.

Believe it or not that's what he had me up too. Wish it wasn't true.  I am in Canada, maybe the laws are different here.  I demanded to taper as I realized the drug was actually causing me more anxiety and then panic attacks.  I hate the stuff.  Feel ill just looking at it.  Oh I realized even more getting on this site as how much that is.  How dangerous and he did not warn me of these things. 

Maybe my signature could be better written.  I began it from when I started to seriously taper.  Without input.  I don't care about that.  Just do the best I can on here with peoples advice and experience.

Now I know I need another doctor.  At this point I might as well finish this off with him.  The pharmacist has been helpful too.

I remember the day I found this site.  Could barely see the keys for tears.  Was a long time finding my way around and getting on here.  Thanks to some very kind people they helped get me going.  (Normally that amount of drug would kill a person I know now...it's the high tolerance my body built up to it.

I feel for those that are coming off more than one drug!

Amazing story! How are you feeling now as far as sx go?

Hello,

For those of you who hit the proverbial "wall" at around 4mg, was there a point at which you broke through or was it just devastatingly painful the rest of the way down?

Thanks for your input.

Best,

Ed