Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Thank you, Valley. I'll probably buy there if someone chimes in to tell me how to measure the diameter of the bottle holding my compound.

Builder thanks for your reply on my thread also.  I thought I understood then not.  Thinking wrong.  Actually math is not one of my strong points.  Just the muddled thinking too.  Probably just complicated it all.  That's why you see the posts trying to get on track.    Thanks again. Dolly

The doc that was ok with a 1 mg taper per month of V has now switched gears on me. He said they are cracking down on the prescription of benzos and that if I don't start tapering now, I'll have to go to a psychiatrist to continue. He is very supportive and optimistic and believes I "can do it," but he doesn't understand protracted symptoms or how big of a jump that is.

I'm absolutely ready to taper from my current 10 mg. I've been feeling depressed and I really think I'm overmedicated between that, the metoprolol, and the medical marijuana for my migraines and other pain.

The good thing is that I have an extra 10 mg prescription that the doc doesn't know about (he just wrote me one for 8 mg), so technically I should be able to go slower than what he wants, BUT I am uncomfortable with lying because if I end up in the hospital (having some other health problems that may need surgery), they'll be giving me the wrong dose or thinking I'm off V entirely when I'm not, which could be disastrous.

Question: Does anyone think I could potentially taper 2 mg per month (daily liquid taper though) and be OK? I have to start this roller coaster ride on Monday and I need some serious help in deciding how to go about it.

The sample schedule in the Ashton manual shows a reduction of 1mg every 1-2 weeks, although she does suggest using two weeks in the later stages like 10mg and under. So I guess it is doable for a number of people. I'm going a bit slower than Ashton myself, just cut and hold based off how I feel.

The doc that was ok with a 1 mg taper per month of V has now switched gears on me. He said they are cracking down on the prescription of benzos and that if I don't start tapering now, I'll have to go to a psychiatrist to continue. He is very supportive and optimistic and believes I "can do it," but he doesn't understand protracted symptoms or how big of a jump that is.

I'm absolutely ready to taper from my current 10 mg. I've been feeling depressed and I really think I'm overmedicated between that, the metoprolol, and the medical marijuana for my migraines and other pain.

The good thing is that I have an extra 10 mg prescription that the doc doesn't know about (he just wrote me one for 8 mg), so technically I should be able to go slower than what he wants, BUT I am uncomfortable with lying because if I end up in the hospital (having some other health problems that may need surgery), they'll be giving me the wrong dose or thinking I'm off V entirely when I'm not, which could be disastrous.

Question: Does anyone think I could potentially taper 2 mg per month (daily liquid taper though) and be OK? I have to start this roller coaster ride on Monday and I need some serious help in deciding how to go about it.

Hi S and P. The only way to know if it's possible is to listen to your body. If you have intolerable withdrawal sxs, it's too much. I really can't believe some doctors won't allow patients the freedom to taper at their own speed. Too bad you don't have my doctor. He wants to learn how to get people off by using my experience. I'm the first patient he's had who has asked to get off benzos. I find it very odd as he prescribes a lot of benzos so I guess it's true that most just choose to stay on. Not an option for me. Good luck!  I hope you can find a way to do it your way.  :)--V

I was curious if anyone knows if it matters if a Valium pill is dissolved in the mouth or swallowed? I have always sucked on mine or put under my tongue.

The sample schedule in the Ashton manual shows a reduction of 1mg every 1-2 weeks, although she does suggest using two weeks in the later stages like 10mg and under. So I guess it is doable for a number of people. I'm going a bit slower than Ashton myself, just cut and hold based off how I feel.

That is encouraging! Super encouraging, actually. I was thinking earlier that I've been on Ativan for something like two years (fully off now) but I've only been on Valium for maybe 7 months or so, so maybe that will make it easier to taper from as well. I'm trying to look on the bright side and be optimistic about it. I do want off and I'd love to be free that quickly, but I don't want vertigo and seizures as a result! But I do have the option of going to a psychiatrist if I really need to, so I'm not totally lost at sea if I can't do it that fast.

Hi S and P. The only way to know if it's possible is to listen to your body. If you have intolerable withdrawal sxs, it's too much. I really can't believe some doctors won't allow patients the freedom to taper at their own speed. Too bad you don't have my doctor. He wants to learn how to get people off by using my experience. I'm the first patient he's had who has asked to get off benzos. I find it very odd as he prescribes a lot of benzos so I guess it's true that most just choose to stay on. Not an option for me. Good luck!  I hope you can find a way to do it your way.  :)--V

He WAS totally down with a 1 mg per month taper but there must be some outside pressure on him now because he said "they" are "really cracking down" and basically that he won't be able to prescribe it in the future so I need to get off asap or I'll have to go the psychiatrist route. If he wasn't so encouraging and kind about it, I'd probably be more frustrated.

I really freaked out when I got down to a low dose of Ativan, but when I think back on it, it was derealization and depersonalization for a period of a few hours. I've had panic attacks since then that weren't honestly too different, and I handled them quite well. I feel like I have gotten stronger and am more able to handle those little brain freak-outs, and really I'm more worried about physical pain, vertigo, and seizures as opposed to any of that. I think I'm gonna obey the good doc (lol) and do the 2 mg at least to start, but definitely liquid titration so it's a slow ramp down. Going to try to be brave.

I've got the spreadsheet here (thank you again to whoever kindly created that for us, my memory is shot so I still can't recall a name), but how much liquid do I need to dissolve a 5 mg pill? And then when I switch to 2 mg pills, how much liquid then? I am so bad with math and I'm afraid I'm going to screw this all up.

Thank you for your input, it really encourages me!

Solace, so you have been holding the V for 3 months?

how are you feeling?  I have been holding for almost 3 months and do not feel any better.

That is encouraging! Super encouraging, actually. I was thinking earlier that I've been on Ativan for something like two years (fully off now) but I've only been on Valium for maybe 7 months or so, so maybe that will make it easier to taper from as well. I'm trying to look on the bright side and be optimistic about it. I do want off and I'd love to be free that quickly, but I don't want vertigo and seizures as a result! But I do have the option of going to a psychiatrist if I really need to, so I'm not totally lost at sea if I can't do it that fast.

He WAS totally down with a 1 mg per month taper but there must be some outside pressure on him now because he said "they" are "really cracking down" and basically that he won't be able to prescribe it in the future so I need to get off asap or I'll have to go the psychiatrist route. If he wasn't so encouraging and kind about it, I'd probably be more frustrated.

I really freaked out when I got down to a low dose of Ativan, but when I think back on it, it was derealization and depersonalization for a period of a few hours. I've had panic attacks since then that weren't honestly too different, and I handled them quite well. I feel like I have gotten stronger and am more able to handle those little brain freak-outs, and really I'm more worried about physical pain, vertigo, and seizures as opposed to any of that. I think I'm gonna obey the good doc (lol) and do the 2 mg at least to start, but definitely liquid titration so it's a slow ramp down. Going to try to be brave.

I've got the spreadsheet here (thank you again to whoever kindly created that for us, my memory is shot so I still can't recall a name), but how much liquid do I need to dissolve a 5 mg pill? And then when I switch to 2 mg pills, how much liquid then? I am so bad with math and I'm afraid I'm going to screw this all up.

Thank you for your input, it really encourages me!

For 5mg, I would personally use 10 to 15ml of PG and dilute with 40 to 35ml of water. That gives you 1mg per 10ml of liquid. I use a 1ml syringe to pull the cut dose and the 10ml to pull the rest. I probably do it different than builder or SG so hopefully they will give you a better plan.  :)--V

Lainey

I just wanted to tell you my experience with holding. I was really sick from tapering 5.0 mgs too quickly so I held for two months. I did a bit better but got scared that holding wasn't going to work for me so I had to come to a turning point... Do I take the chance or start cutting again?

It hasn't been easy at all for me and I know I have healing to do but am grateful that I am pretty much done now.

I am not saying holds are bad, I am saying that this is your journey and only you can figure out what is good for you.

Hope this helps

K

Solace, so you have been holding the V for 3 months?

how are you feeling?  I have been holding for almost 3 months and do not feel any better.

Technically I guess I've been holding the V since November, but I was cutting A up until three months ago. So I haven't even experienced a V cut yet. Monday I'll start that. I'm ready but terrified.

I've been feeling very confused a lot lately though, which is something that has been unique to the V. Memory loss and just spacey. I hope it gets better as I start cutting or after I'm off. I feel like my body is telling me that it's been too much and it's time to get off. Depression is a side effect of both V and metoprolol, and I have a feeling that being on both is just too much. Usually my blood pressure is a nice 115/75 but now and then it drops to 90/49 and then I REALLY feel confused and exhausted. I haven't told my doc this because I've cut my dose in the past and my BP went too high and vertigo returned. I know it'll start going higher as I reduce the V, so I'll need metoprolol's protection even more then.

I should be here talking to you guys more. I've been feeling so CRAZY and it just makes me want to hide out. I've been missing work and I'm not even sure if I'm celebrating Memorial Day with my family tomorrow because I'm afraid I'll have another day like today. I'm having pain from unrelated medical issues so I gave in and popped an ibuprofen, made me super nauseous even though I took it with food, and then a headache followed, and more pain. Spent the day in bed. I just feel awful.

I recognize my behavior as depression but it's not typical for me. I really think it's from too much V. I just hope I can get through the taper considering my sudden erratic mental state.

For 5mg, I would personally use 10 to 15ml of PG and dilute with 40 to 35ml of water. That gives you 1mg per 10ml of liquid. I use a 1ml syringe to pull the cut dose and the 10ml to pull the rest. I probably do it different than builder or SG so hopefully they will give you a better plan.  :)--V

You lost me at PG. What does that stand for? I bought vodka to dilute the pills. I'm SO bad with math (unless it's finances, lol) that I'm quite nervous about doing this whole liquid thing wrong and screwing myself up. Especially when my mind is so filled with confusion at the moment. I need the guide for dummies! I really do. :sick:

You lost me at PG. What does that stand for? I bought vodka to dilute the pills. I'm SO bad with math (unless it's finances, lol) that I'm quite nervous about doing this whole liquid thing wrong and screwing myself up. Especially when my mind is so filled with confusion at the moment. I need the guide for dummies! I really do. :sick:

PG is propylene glycol. I'm not sure how much vodka you would use as I use PG.

I was curious if anyone knows if it matters if a Valium pill is dissolved in the mouth or swallowed? I have always sucked on mine or put under my tongue.

I'm surprised that no one has responded to this and I'm also surprised that you can handle that flavor! Oh, they are so bitter! And I love things like lemons and black coffee and dark chocolate, but whew! :laugh:

I tried Googling this question for you, assuming that you didn't want to go down THAT rabbit hole yourself, and if my assumption was correct, you were right not to do so, as most mentions of alternative methods of taking it were basically on hard drugs message boards. For people who want to stay on thesr drugs, not get off of them.

Having said that, I did find tons of examples of people chewing them and taking them sublingually, or crushing them and putting them in food, but none of sucking them lozenge style, though I assume that'd be the same. So it must be OK... maybe ask your pharmacist to be certain?

I noted your signature, that V is causing you digestive troubles. Me too! Mine actually started when I began cutting A last year, and I'm on super expensive probiotics to avoid the pain. I really hope it stops when I'm off these, otherwise it may be unrelated and I don't even want to entertain that idea. But since you are having gastro issues, I wonder if sublingual administration would be a better option for you. Have you ever tried doing solely sublingual, say for a week or so, and see if that helps?

Ah, I thought so! My stomach has been extremely sensitive since I started cutting the Ativan way back when. Figured the vodka might cause me less problems. I was a little nervous about it until someone said there's less alcohol in a dose than in a glass of juice. Does anyone know how much vodka and water I should be using for a 5 mg tablet? Somehow I've got.to figure this all out by Monday. :o

Ah, I thought so! My stomach has been extremely sensitive since I started cutting the Ativan way back when. Figured the vodka might cause me less problems. I was a little nervous about it until someone said there's less alcohol in a dose than in a glass of juice. Does anyone know how much vodka and water I should be using for a 5 mg tablet? Somehow I've got.to figure this all out by Monday. :o

You would use 2 ml of vodka for every mg so 10ml of vodka and 40ml of water would give you 1mg per 10ml or .1mg per 1ml.

Day 5 at 0.7mg. Cut from 1.1...feeling quite good overall. Confident the worst is behind me now and I just need to continue to wait 2-3 weeks after each cut. Next cut will be to 0.3...then jump. Still feel in a cloud of depression and not much motivation to do anything. But nothing like I was feeling a bit earlier in my taper. The 1mg cut I did from 3 to 2 was the worst. Im not going to be able to fully heal until Im off so getting to about 70% health after each cut is as good as I seem to get. Keep going guys.

Day 5 at 0.7mg. Cut from 1.1...feeling quite good overall. Confident the worst is behind me now and I just need to continue to wait 2-3 weeks after each cut. Next cut will be to 0.3...then jump. Still feel in a cloud of depression and not much motivation to do anything. But nothing like I was feeling a bit earlier in my taper. The 1mg cut I did from 3 to 2 was the worst. Im not going to be able to fully heal until Im off so getting to about 70% health after each cut is as good as I seem to get. Keep going guys.

:thumbsup:

Hey everyone... On day 3 of my jump. Hopefully the recovery will be quick. So far, it's mainly been the anxiety haunting me.  I am relieved that the poison is leaving my body now, but still scared of raw nerves. I need to get a job and my life back so feeling panicky all the time is not an option.

Thank god the worst of this nightmare is over.

Sad for all that are suffering.

Thanks for your continued support.

K

It's great to hear the good news keeka ..we can all enjoy in your getting over the mountain.  Best to you.  We are following behind sometimes slowly but we are.    :thumbsup: 

Good to everyone with their tirations.  Finding that rough.  It's the figuring out the amts.Think I'm still coming off to fast.  Guess I'll see by the affects.  Builder has given me an answer. 

No sense asking anymore if I'm not able to understand the way to decrease daily.  Anyway I have to try and keep it simple as possible.  The way I'm going I'll have dropped 1.82mg in 2 weeks. Milk tiratioñ seems a lot easier on stomach. My husband and I came up with this plan hoping it's close.  I did watch utube as well.    ::)

Lots of patience needed.  So far I've only been able to find a 10mil and 3.5mil syringe. 

Enjoy your day everyone!