Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

I crossed from .75 Ativan to 4.5 mg Valium. Less than the usual equivilancy but it was more than enough to set me up for my taper.

In my opinion, the quicker you get off the Ativan the better off you will be.

I remember a huge weight being lifted when I finally said goodbye to Ativan!

Stay strong, set a goal and do it! You will be fine. Most of what we fear and feel is self crested in our own frightened minds. 👍

Peace & Healing

ATU

Can I ask how people normally dose their V during tapers if the MD does not advise? I apologize for not updating my signature. I'm on no Z and 150mgV per day. That will stay stable for at least one month . Need to find new MD just need help with how people dose....especially so I can function if I need to drive but also sleeping at night.

solaceandpeace ,

the best thing I did was a cross over to Valium, I follow the Ashton method, It was smooth but with bumps, 

I crossed from 1.0 ml ativan  to 10 ml Valium, but cut valium very quick to 5 ml.  I think only one day I took 10 ml. It was too much, 

I did it in one month,  and It was worth it,  I did when I was very sick,  It took me from April  2014 to December 2014  to make a decision

12/13/14  start c/o Valium

1/5/15  0.25 Lorazepam 8am.  V 2 mg 12 , 4, 8 pm total  6 mg V

1/11/15 by Ativan, Finished c/o

1/15/15  8 mg V total,  8,12,4,8 pm

2/07/15  5 mg V 

2/12/15 4mg 20m Prozac, feeling good! 

If you see my signature I cut  6 ml Valium in a month,  mostly because my doctor told me to cross over to 6 ml and BB to 10 ml.

I think the plan is good but check your body. 

Tex

:smitten: :smitten:

That is INCREDIBLY encouraging. I see you were on it a little less than a year before beginning the taper? I've been on 0.5 mg 3x daily for two years so I'm a little concerned about my body being SO used to it, but the valium works similarly, so... hoping for the best! Thank you for your post. Enlightening and inspiring. I don't know what my experience will be, but it's nice to hear that a quick taper CAN possibly go well.

I crossed from .75 Ativan to 4.5 mg Valium. Less than the usual equivilancy but it was more than enough to set me up for my taper.

In my opinion, the quicker you get off the Ativan the better off you will be.

I remember a huge weight being lifted when I finally said goodbye to Ativan!

Stay strong, set a goal and do it! You will be fine. Most of what we fear and feel is self crested in our own frightened minds. 👍

Also amazing to hear for the same reasons as stated above! You two gave me some serious hope tonight. I'm ready for anything and not expecting it to go one way or the other, but hope is so important.

Thank you both for sharing your stories! :smitten:

Yes its bumpy no matter what we do...I went from 15mg of V to 4.5 from April so14 to March 2015 when I gave up

went on to Ativan thinking I would stay on it for life....NOPE...doesn't work like that anymore...I have kindled myself way to much

so I am in the thick of it so to speak...and there is nothing I can do to relieve any of this except PRAY!!!  and come on here and vent  PRAY some more  CRY    PRAY

its just survival mode

Yes its bumpy no matter what we do...I went from 15mg of V to 4.5 from April so14 to March 2015 when I gave up

went on to Ativan thinking I would stay on it for life....NOPE...doesn't work like that anymore...I have kindled myself way to much

so I am in the thick of it so to speak...and there is nothing I can do to relieve any of this except PRAY!!!  and come on here and vent  PRAY some more  CRY    PRAY

its just survival mode

I am so sorry Lainey that this all happened this way and pray your taper goes smoothly.

My mom was kindled, but I was able to find that sweet spot in dosing a few times during the taper.

Tapering according to how you feel can make the taper and healing easier.

I am starting my Valium taper today after transferring over from Xanax.  Currently on 5 mg three times daily.  How long does it take you to feel your cuts?  On Xanax I was feeling them worse starting on day 4.  So does it take longer to feel the Valium cuts since it's longer acting?  Also, I feel much more level on Valium than Xanax but still have ups and downs between doses.  Just wondering because I see that some people take it twice a day or even once a day, and I'm not sure I could tolerate waiting 12 hours between doses at this point.  I pretty much feel horrible all the time (though like I said I have ups and downs) so it's really hard for me to gauge how slow or fast to take this.

Can I ask how people normally dose their V during tapers if the MD does not advise? I apologize for not updating my signature. I'm on no Z and 150mgV per day. That will stay stable for at least one month . Need to find new MD just need help with how people dose....especially so I can function if I need to drive but also sleeping at night.

Hope, you really should wait at least 3-4 weeks once on all valium before tapering. This gives the valium time to build up in your system

once you have waited that time period..you may go to dosing 2xs a day

I speak from experience...have already done this once before

So now that I am on all Valium I will hold this for 4 weeks and then try to go to 2xs a day and God willing start my taper

Trudiehaze this should answer your question also...3xs a day 8 hours apart to start with

are you saying that you are on 150mg of VALIUM????  and what is "no Z" mean?

Trudie, based on what I have seen here, as many people dose 3 x a day as 2 x. I guess if it were me and I was concerned about sleep I would dose rather unevenly and take a bigger dose at night.

I followed Ashton for my crossover to valium from Ativan, and dosed three times a day when I was finally on all valium. Then about 10 mgs, I reduced it to twice a day and stayed there until 2 mgs when I amalgamated my doses into one.

Hope this helps. Maybe some other folks will chime in with their experiences.

Okatz

I hope other folks will chime in. I'm sick on top of everything else and need help with an actual dosing schedule of times and milligrams to get through 150V a day...again, more at night for sleep.

I am now on 9.5 mg. Valium and .16 mg. Ativan and I microtaper .05. Valium per day. I dose at 8:30 pm and 1 am so I can get sleep. The interdose withdrawal during the day is rough. I tried spreading out my dose but was so groggy and depressed on daytime Valium that I had to give it up. I don't know how people can function on daytime Valium, but I guess we're all different. I can't wait until this is over, but I get a lot of sx and know I have a year or more to go. Been cutting since Feb. 2015.

MirandaJane

Trudie, based on what I have seen here, as many people dose 3 x a day as 2 x. I guess if it were me and I was concerned about sleep I would dose rather unevenly and take a bigger dose at night.

I followed Ashton for my crossover to valium from Ativan, and dosed three times a day when I was finally on all valium. Then about 10 mgs, I reduced it to twice a day and stayed there until 2 mgs when I amalgamated my doses into one.

Hope this helps. Maybe some other folks will chime in with their experiences.

Okatz

Trudiehaze,

Okatz provided excellent advice.

If you want something more, others will need to know more info, such as how much you are tapering per day and how many times per day you want to dose.

It is best to never cut more than 10% in any cut.

Valium has a very long half life, so it is not as critical to dose more times per day.

I dosed my mom twice per day until she was below 2mg v and then, dosed once per day and only at night.

Thank you. I'm not cutting right now since I've already to 150mg. I'm staying at this dose just concerned about how this will go and dosing correctly...I've been sick and have no help besides this forum and I'm weak and tired and sonata is s tricky one to follow (for me) on the Ashton table. Just need some reassurance I'm doing things right.

I'm crossing over from A to V, so I'm not even at the point of thinking about reducing V, but my understanding from all the reading I have done is also that 2x per day is just fine for V because of the long half-life. You've got a long road ahead of you but it's said that V is the easiest one to taper from, so find hope in that. And remember you're not alone.

Diaz-Pam and others, I will reach my 25th day of my taper, and I will be down to 1.75mg of V, it has gone really well, a few little anthills, but nothing that

I am not used to. This is the dose that I had been dry cutting and holding. My question is when I reach this first goal on Sat Jan 1, should I hold for

a while like I have been doing all along? while doing dry cuts, I am not in any hurry and never will be again, especially after my first two failed attempts

of going much to fast and cutting too much. Any answers will be greatly received. Also would like to wish all a "HAPPY NEW YEAR" and I thank Yogi, for

leading me to this great support site, where I feel welcome and have been able to change a stubborn mindset.  :hug::mybuddy:  :thumbsup: And to

to Diaz-Pam, for helping me with a taper plan  .  :thumbsup:

I'm crossing over from A to V, so I'm not even at the point of thinking about reducing V, but my understanding from all the reading I have done is also that 2x per day is just fine for V because of the long half-life. You've got a long road ahead of you but it's said that V is the easiest one to taper from, so find hope in that. And remember you're not alone.

Thank you so much .  I appreciate you time me I am not alone because I feel very alone right now .  Also very sad and weepy just from going through this whole process .  I'm used to taking my sonata throughout the day so it's hard to think about just taking something twice a day plus I want to have energy in the morning to rightly shower and run errands if need be .  Is it OK to dose more than twice a day?

Diaz-Pam and others, I will reach my 25th day of my taper, and I will be down to 1.75mg of V, it has gone really well, a few little anthills, but nothing that

I am not used to. This is the dose that I had been dry cutting and holding. My question is when I reach this first goal on Sat Jan 1, should I hold for

a while like I have been doing all along? while doing dry cuts, I am not in any hurry and never will be again, especially after my first two failed attempts

of going much to fast and cutting too much. Any answers will be greatly received. Also would like to wish all a "HAPPY NEW YEAR" and I thank Yogi, for

leading me to this great support site, where I feel welcome and have been able to change a stubborn mindset.  :hug::mybuddy:  :thumbsup: And to

to Diaz-Pam, for helping me with a taper plan  .  :thumbsup:

It's really good to hear everything is going well. I always think there is never any harm in doing a hold. I honestly wish I had done more holds during my taper and not been so darned impatient. I might have actually finished earlier, because the face plants I did only meant I ended up holding longer anyway.

I hope you have a wonderful new year. Hopefully this might be last one you will have to celebrate on benzos.

Thanks so much, I will continue to do, what has been in the past working for me and holding for a while is not going to waylay me, as

I am committed to taking all the time I need.  :thumbsup:

I appreciate you telling me I am not alone because I feel very alone right now .  Also very sad and weepy just from going through this whole process .  I'm used to taking my sonata throughout the day so it's hard to think about just taking something twice a day plus I want to have energy in the morning to rightly shower and run errands if need be .  Is it OK to dose more than twice a day?

That's the one thing we really have to remember, that we are not alone. There are SO many people going through this all over the world. My mom always says that there is a reason for everything, and sometimes I wonder if we choose our battles before we come here... this is getting a little spiritual, but it's just a feeling I have. Regardless of whether or not there is any truth to that, I do know we will be stronger and better when it's all over. And that is a good thing.

Regarding being used to taking so many doses throughout the day, I am going through the same adjustment! I have been cutting my A into quarters for more steady levels through the day, so at one point I was taking it a dozen times per day! I'm down to six now. Is it valium that you're asking about regarding dosing more than 2x per day? If so, it is perfectly OK, but I've heard it's not necessary. I am taking 2.5 mg of V 4x per day right now because I don't know if I could handle the full 5 mg pill at once, twice per day.

I'll say it again -- you're not alone. Remember that and know that there is an end to this tapering tunnel that we're traveling through. :smitten:

I'm at 1.5 mg in am and 2 mg in pm...  I dropped about 8 days ago by 1/2 mg...  So total, that is like 14%... It was to much for me I guess as I'm

going through hell right now.... (and I'm even taking gabapentin and propranolol daily AND visteral as needed ( maybe once a day)

I am foggy headed, anxiety through the roof, palpitations and I have to FORCE myself to eat..... Stomach cramping (like bad butterflies)

Im thinking about starting a liquid but need suggestions what dose is best to go down by on a daily basis...

I get a lot of suggestions from 0.02 up to 0.1.....  I am on leave right now from work but HAVE to go back soon....

1.  Do ya'll think I went down to much

2.  What is your suggestion that worked with less withdraw affects for a daily taper?

Thank u

Hi Reba

Good to see you over here. As I replied to you earlier, yes I think you cut too much in one go, and I do recommend considering a daily liquid taper.

It's really up to you to decide what kind of daily cut you want to make. If it helps at all, when I was around 4mg I think I was cutting between 0.015mg and 0.02mg per day, but it's a trial and error amount.

An easy way to try to work out where you might need to start with a daily cut is to work out over how many days you want to reduce 1mg, and then divide 1mg by that number of days (eg 1mg ÷ 50 days = 0.02mg cut per day).

A daily taper isn't necessarily a "slow" taper. In fact quite often you can go faster with a daily taper than with a cut and hold taper, simply because you're not shocking your body by making those much larger cuts and then having to wait for your body to recover.

I'm sure other people will chime in soon to give their POV. A lot of people here are daily tapering, so you should get a lot of help from all the good people here. Hang in there. Tapering doesn't have to be a dreadful experience. It will never be a fun experience of course, but you should still be able to lead a fairly normal life without too much pain and suffering.

Thanks Diaz..

So the pill will completely dissolve in the milk.... I would have to do almond milk as I cannot tolerate whole milk.

Should I completely go down and off on the dose that I'm currently on in the am and stay with the 2 mg in pm

or start to go slow in the pm dose and hold the am?

I'm thinking about it but don't know how my doctor will be about it... 

First of all there is no need to tell your doctor anything. As long as your doctor keeps prescribing the pills, you don't need to say anything. It's your taper and you need to be in control.

The tablet breaks down quite quickly in the milk, but it won't disappear totally. You may see some particles floating around or settling on the bottom, but that won't be valium. It will just be the fillers.

I personally don't have any experience with almond milk. I used cows milk when I was tapering with milk, but others may have some experience with it. I do know that people use other types of milk. The main thing is the fat content.

You could either taper off one dose at a time, or you could taper each dose evenly. It's really up to you. Some people feel they do best keeping to 2 even doses each day, but I only ever dosed once a day. It's really up to you.

Hi: Several of you experts have given me a lot of good advice about tapering my Val, but I'm still afraid that I will be going too fast. Also, special thanks to you DP, for being very patient with me. I'm on 70 mg of Val and want to do c/h until I get around 15 mg, Then do a vodka titration. Anymore sage advice? Like should I cut every two or every three weeks? I know this needs to be a progressive taper, and builder gave me that info, but my benzo brain has gotten much worse since I got off the K, so I need advice and/or suggestions on how I should proceed. Thanks, guys. :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [ro...]
    • [Lo...]
    • [je...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Li...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]
    • [jo...]
    • [3s...]
    • [de...]
    • [be...]