Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Well thank you all AGAIN!

Some of you have been free for a while. Some more recently (the class of 2015!). Some seem to be closing in, and some on their way.

But one thing we all have in common is that we all have healed or are healing. All of us. We are doing it.

Healing hurts. There seems to be no getting around it.

To those still working their way down, please remember what I have told myself along the way: In the end, we all win. Everyone of us!

Love,

Steve :smitten:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so truly happy and excited for you!

Thanks for sharing your story. As one of the few other BBs I have seen on the boards here who has been on for 40 years or more (I was first put on Valium in 1969) and who is close to my age, you have given me tremendous hope! I'm down to 5mgs/day now and have been struggling with increasing migralepsy symptoms as well as worrying if, after so many years on Benzos, I can really do this at my age and what it will be like when I finally jump. I'm concerned that age, ill health and so much time spent on Benzos will make it much more difficult, but you have really inspired me to try to keep going anyway. Your upbeat attitude and perseverance are what I have been keeping in mind all this week.

I am wondering if, and how much, you think the additional meds you took (gabapentin and trazadone?) helped with your taper?

Best Wishes to you!

Mo

Hiya Mo!

Thank you so much for your warm wishes!!! And I cannot begin to tell how much it means to me that my attitude has inspired you. What a wonderful thing to hear! (er read, actually). You have made my day, Mo! :)

When I first saw my psychiatrist, the first thing she wanted me to do was to "taper" off the vodka I'd been washing down my Valium with, and prescribed Gabapentan for me to cross-over to, over a number of weeks.

When I got home that evening,  I Googled and found that painter Thomas Kincaid had died from alcohol and Valium, and I stopped that night.

Instead, I took Gabapentin and slept ok. Felt weird the next day, though. But that was alright.

Next visit she prescribed Trazodone and it helped quite a bit. Then, either that visit or a subsequent one, she gave me liquid, and my journey began.

I just Googled migralepsy, and saw Gabapentin mentioned. I didn't look into it further.

My p-doc has told me throughout my taper that she has worked with people that have stopped at 5mg and has maintained them for decades, even into their 80s or 90s, for what it's worth.

In my case, I got very sick 2 weeks ago, and decided to reinstate. But I did a quick about-face because for me (this may not hold for you) the 5mg I took that night did not help, and I wondered how much I'd need to up-dose to be helped, and if I'd then go into tolerance again anyway.

I felt trapped and re-decided that the only way out was down, and I'd just deal. But it was better than I thought. Throughout my taper, I found that I'd go into and then out of sxs as I tapered, and this seemed to happen again.

That about sums it up.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you need to or want to, and please feel free to PM me. I will be checking this thread regularly, and will surely respond to a PM.

Warm regards... and "man hugs" :) for healing!

Steve

To everyone, I have this incredible fear of Alzheimer's.  I watched my mother live with and die from the disease and I can't handle the thought of putting my family through that unbearable sadness and agony.  I freaked when they linked Ambien to dementia and Alzheimer's and quit taking it.  This morning in Harvard Health I read about the study of 2000 men and women w/Alzheimer's who had taken benzos.  This study showed that using benzos for more than 6 months raised the Alzheimer's risk by 84%. Valium and Dalmane puts you at greater risk.  I started taking Valium as a crossover from Klonopin in June, going as high as 40 mg.  I am now taking 35 mg with months (years?) to go.  I am crying and scared to death, I really screwed up this taper again.  I am a depressive and the Valium has made that worse, for you guys that might be thinking I am over-reacting.

I feel this need to stop taking the V but know I can't without risking horrendous withdrawals.  I am thinking if there was a quicker way to do this I would have read about it, but just in case there was something I could do I had to ask.

My second reason for writing is that I figure there are a lot of smart people on this board who can give me reasons to doubt the study.  My husband is good at that type of thing but I can't tell him about this because he knows my forgetfulness is beyond normal and I know he is concerned about me.  So, if someone could give me a reason not to worry or a quicker way to stop the Valium, like maybe change to something else, I would be so appreciative.  Thank you.  Cross

I'm having the same fear.  I think I already have it, having been on benzos for a long time.  And today my cognitive function was absolutely horrible.  This is terrifying .  I want to get an mri but am afraid to find t the results.

I just wanted to say hi, you all inspire me, congratulations to Steve (!!!), love and healing to Katz and moo, so good to see you town and Pam, builder I adore you.

Since 3.5 I've been having a rough go. I'm at 2.82 today. Not even halfway done yet. I don't post, because I don't want to complain so much. But you all are holding me together, keeping me alive, keeping me hopeful that one day this might improve.

I love you guys.

Love,

Snow

I just wanted to say hi, you all inspire me, congratulations to Steve (!!!), love and healing to Katz and moo, so good to see you town and Pam, builder I adore you.

Since 3.5 I've been having a rough go. I'm at 2.82 today. Not even halfway done yet. I don't post, because I don't want to complain so much. But you all are holding me together, keeping me alive, keeping me hopeful that one day this might improve.

I love you guys.

Love,

Snow

Hey Snow. You're getting there... Just take it easy.

It's not complaining, on here. Sometimes it just sucks. And we can share that..

:smitten:

Hey Snow:

Good job for getting down to 2.82. It's hard, I know. But keep on keeping on . . . and before you know it, things will improve and the end will be in sight.

Okatz

I love you guys.

Love,

Snow

Hang in there snow.  It does get better.

I love you guys.

Love,

Snow

Once you get in the territory of 2's it's just a matter of time and patience now Snow. You've really done a great job so far. Stay strong and before you know it you will be off.

etown

I'm having the same fear.  I think I already have it, having been on benzos for a long time.  And today my cognitive function was absolutely horrible.  This is terrifying .  I want to get an mri but am afraid to find t the results.

To everyone, I have this incredible fear of Alzheimer's.  I watched my mother live with and die from the disease and I can't handle the thought of putting my family through that unbearable sadness and agony.  I freaked when they linked Ambien to dementia and Alzheimer's and quit taking it.  This morning in Harvard Health I read about the study of 2000 men and women w/Alzheimer's who had taken benzos.  This study showed that using benzos for more than 6 months raised the Alzheimer's risk by 84%. Valium and Dalmane puts you at greater risk.  I started taking Valium as a crossover from Klonopin in June, going as high as 40 mg.  I am now taking 35 mg with months (years?) to go.  I am crying and scared to death, I really screwed up this taper again.  I am a depressive and the Valium has made that worse, for you guys that might be thinking I am over-reacting.

I feel this need to stop taking the V but know I can't without risking horrendous withdrawals.  I am thinking if there was a quicker way to do this I would have read about it, but just in case there was something I could do I had to ask.

My second reason for writing is that I figure there are a lot of smart people on this board who can give me reasons to doubt the study.  My husband is good at that type of thing but I can't tell him about this because he knows my forgetfulness is beyond normal and I know he is concerned about me.  So, if someone could give me a reason not to worry or a quicker way to stop the Valium, like maybe change to something else, I would be so appreciative.  Thank you.  Cross

Hi Cross and Djd,

Demential and Alzheimers is linked to prions.

Below is Dr Ashton's explaination of this confusion about dementia and alzheimers in those on benzo's.

"Impairment of memory [slide 8]

Benzodiazepines specifically impair memory functions. They make it difficult to learn and retain new information and in particular cause amnesia for recent events. These effects are again most marked in elderly patients and may falsely lead to a diagnosis of dementia or Alzheimer's disease. Professor Lader remarked in 1995 that forgetfulness, amnesic episodes or confusion should not be ascribed facilely to "old age" or "dementia" in older patients taking benzodiazepines. Yet many occupants of homes for the elderly are prescribed benzodiazepine hypnotics. Case studies show that memory improves when these are stopped and sleep is also better.

In younger people benzodiazepines can also cause memory lapses or blackouts and have led to patients being charged with shoplifting. Benzodiazepines are often prescribed for acute stress-related anxieties and may indeed provide initial relief from distress in catastrophic accidents and bereavement. However, continued use can impair psychological adjustment to such trauma, leaving the situation unresolved and the symptoms perpetuated. In anxiety states, including panic disorders and agoraphobia, benzodiazepines inhibit the alternative stress-coping strategies including cognitive behavioural treatment."

http://www.benzo.org.uk/ashspeech.htm

I love you guys.

Love,

Snow

Well, thank you snow.

I 2nd and 3rd what the others have said, and in a while, we will be congratulating you!

You are taking it nice and slow.

Hugs 4 Healing :hug:

Steve :smitten:

'Cross,' etc...I'm on Valium too, and have found it to be a real downer, ugh. I'm definitely committed to continuing my 'plod-off' the stuff, but I wouldn't panic re: dementia. Don't borrow trouble, as the saying goes. I've known at least a couple of people who popped at least 10 mg daily till they were in their 80's, and were fine, cognition wise. NOT that that's is at all a recommendation for not stopping, just a reason to keep tapering and not panic.

'Cross,' etc...I'm on Valium too, and have found it to be a real downer, ugh. I'm definitely committed to continuing my 'plod-off' the stuff, but I wouldn't panic re: dementia. Don't borrow trouble, as the saying goes. I've known at least a couple of people who popped at least 10 mg daily till they were in their 80's, and were fine, cognition wise. NOT that that's is at all a recommendation for not stopping, just a reason to keep tapering and not panic.

:thumbsup:

keep on keeping on and keep your eye on the prize and other idioms like that

Hi, Cross read your Post with interest, I have thought of this a lot, because I am having mostly memory loss, just the other day was at bank trying to convey what I needed help with, and I could not form any words, and the poor young woman just sat and looked at me, finally after some time I was able to tell her what i was there for. But later I was Ok, just tired. I think you should stay on the V and complete your taper, because each day that you taper is one day closer to RECOVERY. Right now there is really nothing we can do, but get off of the benzo's and we both know that takes TIME, and the other question about the Report, it may very well be true, but have you ever noticed the Media will report something and sometimes all the facts are not in and how many times things change about a new study. just keep looking at the Prize at the end of your Journey of  being free and having a new and better life. Take care, sending you ton's of Support.  :thumbsup::smitten::thumbsup: 

[a7...]
hey BB's, I am on my 4th week of a liquid taper and wondering if 10 percent every 2 weeks seems about right?  While I do not get that crashing face plant on day 3 after a half milligram drop when I was doing dry cuts, it seems that there is never a window anymore just consistent wave of a lesser magnitude. Also since I went below 3mg, my belly feels like it will explode, and while I never had headaches above 3, now I get them daily. I sincerely have days when I believe that I should just jump after 2 more big cuts since it seems like the jumpers, and I have read quite a few of their stories, are still sick anyway.  What is the point of this slow painful taper? I know this is the drug messing with my head, but I am sooooo tired of this taper. The pharmacist told me that  this slow taper is not necessary and I should drop from where I am to 2, 1 then done.

hey BB's, I am on my 4th week of a liquid taper and wondering if 10 percent every 2 weeks seems about right?  While I do not get that crashing face plant on day 3 after a half milligram drop when I was doing dry cuts, it seems that there is never a window anymore just consistent wave of a lesser magnitude. Also since I went below 3mg, my belly feels like it will explode, and while I never had headaches above 3, now I get them daily. I sincerely have days when I believe that I should just jump after 2 more big cuts since it seems like the jumpers, and I have read quite a few of their stories, are still sick anyway.  What is the point of this slow painful taper? I know this is the drug messing with my head, but I am sooooo tired of this taper. The pharmacist told me that  this slow taper is not necessary and I should drop from where I am to 2, 1 then done.

For me the point was not getting slammed as hard every two weeks, when making a dry cut.

I couldn't tolerate it.

Yep, I jumped and I'm not feeling fantastic...but I do feel mostly much much better Than I did during most of my taper.

It seems to me that people who drop from higher doses, feel much worse for much longer. That's what I've seen over and over during the 22 months I've been here, anyway. I don't have any kind of research or links to what and how. Just evidence from these boards.

Also, I think people get symptoms  that come and go. Who can tell for sure that it's the liquid or the diet or the supplements, or whatever it is that we wonder about when we feel bad.

I got headaches occasionally. And akathesia. Out of nowhere, and left again , too.

U fortunately, many of us heard the same from their healthcare professionals. That we can just jump from 2 or 1 mgr.

Or higher,

And usually it's just not working out that way. Lots of us are in trouble exactly because of their providers just not knowing.  :-\

Are ou cutting every three days? Is that what I make of your signature ? If you really want to jump from a higher dose, why not just micro taper daily or bigger? I wouldn't recommend it, like I said.

I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad. Tummy trouble is the pits.

Is it nausea? Or bloated be so belly ?

Have you tried some ginger tea?

Well, this is my two cents on it....

I think at some point most people are fed up with it and feel they just should get it over with.

But i wousltn  do it.

yogi about this:

10 percent every 2 weeks seems about right?

So you are cutting 20% a month? IMO that is way too big. It was cutting like that which got me into trouble with cut and hold.

When I switched to a daily liquid taper, things got a whole lot better. I tried to keep my percentages close to 10% a month at first, but when I got to about 2 mgs I just tapered according to how I felt, and held when I felt I needed to.

I am one of those who recently jumped, and while I am not s/x free, I am a whole lot better than I was. It was a slow, methodical taper that let me step off close to zero with minimal s/x. I still get the sick dizzies but they are a whole lot less severe that they were, and are steadily diminishing. My tinnitus is still with me, but it's just annoying, not disabling. I expect things will just improve -- indeed, they are improving.

Even Ashton, who was way too aggressive I believe, did not advocate jumping from 1 mg. As for listening to your pharmacist, um, no.  ::)

I understand that you are tired of this taper -- so was I. After 33 miserable months of tapering, I was thoroughly fed up. But I am glad I tapered down slowly to almost nothing.

So, maybe a daily taper would help with those rotten s/x, yogi. If I were in our shoes, I would sure try it.

Best,

Okatz

[a7...]

For me the point was not getting slammed as hard every two weeks, when making a dry cut.

I couldn't tolerate it.

Yep, I jumped and I'm not feeling fantastic...but I do feel mostly much much better Than I did during most of my taper.

It seems to me that people who drop from higher doses, feel much worse for much longer. That's what I've seen over and over during the 22 months I've been here, anyway. I don't have any kind of research or links to what and how. Just evidence from these boards.

Also, I think people get symptoms  that come and go. Who can tell for sure that it's the liquid or the diet or the supplements, or whatever it is that we wonder about when we feel bad.

I got headaches occasionally. And akathesia. Out of nowhere, and left again , too.

U fortunately, many of us heard the same from their healthcare professionals. That we can just jump from 2 or 1 mgr.

Or higher,

And usually it's just not working out that way. Lots of us are in trouble exactly because of their providers just not knowing.  :-\

Are ou cutting every three days? Is that what I make of your signature ? If you really want to jump from a higher dose, why not just micro taper daily or bigger? I wouldn't recommend it, like I said.

I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad. Tummy trouble is the pits.

Is it nausea? Or bloated be so belly ?

Have you tried some ginger tea?

Well, this is my two cents on it....

I think at some point most people are fed up with it and feel they just should get it over with.

But i wousltn  do it.

it's terrible belly bloat since I started the vodka liquid mixture. On the pills it would come and go, but now it's here to stay. I have read that once people hit 3 or 2, all hell breaks loose. The intrusive thoughts and repetition of things I hear are driving me crazy.  I can hear a really bad song at the health club, then only hear that song in my head all day long for days on end. I really feel like I am going insane.  I try to detach and tell myself, this is not who I am......... :idiot: Anyway, thanks Moodle. My husband has created an xcel spread sheet that has me doing this for almost another year :sick: Trying to make lemonaide from the lemons life has dealt me::)

[a7...]

Thx Katz, I am just angry about having to spend 2 years tapering a drug I only took for a little over 6 months before I started to taper it. I am sure that opiate related PAWS does not help the matter at all either. I took ativan to sleep after a sleepless 3 weeks post suboxone tapering from opiates. It's too bad no one explained to me that the ativan would only make it worse. Anyway, I suppose there is something to learn in all of this, and hopefully will only make me stronger.

Thanks again ladies :smitten:

Mountainyogi.....

Did you mean ONE MORE year to be done with 2.something Valium ?

Cause really, IMO, that's really not necessary at all.

I'd say on 2.2 ( sorry I can't see your signature as I'm typing) you'll be done in a few months?

It's so unfair. I was on this for a few months, too. After a misdiagnosis . And there we are. Tapering so , so much longer. But unfortunately the dependency sets in rather quickly and there we go. :tickedoff:

I , and many others, have had a rough patch around your dose. Then everything went better after. It took a few weeks for me for things to settle again.

It's not said this will be how it will be from now on. Stuff comes and goes, all the time. Just as it came on, it could go again.

I read something like : if life give you lemons....just make grape juice and everyone will wonder how the f**k you did that!  ;D

Cause I think we can't always hold on to positivity when this is chemically induced. But we do have to tell ourselves this is not our mind. It's the darn drugs. Literally, our physical brain.

I hear you on the repetitive and intrusive thoughts. I had the Sponge Bob theme song run through my head for days on end and it drove me nuts,

It's going to pass, Yogi.  :smitten:

Hi yogi,

Just to add another voice, I tapered most of the way down (from 20mg) at 4/100mg per day =  .04mg/day. At that rate you are tapering 1mg every 25 days. At .02, it's 1mg  every 50 days, etc.

At about 1.68 I switched to .02 and then back to.04 for the last approx 1/3mg.

I did some combination of symptom-based, time, and just "how much I wanted to" after I got to that 1.68. There doesn't necessarily have to be a fixed amount, and you can let other factors that you choose guide you.

I did find that I would taper into and out of sxs.

The only thing one should really avoid, IMO, is being in a rush.

Steve

Hi moutainyogi, sorry that you are not feeling good, I know it is hard when you are so close. IMO, please don't go too fast to get it over, even with my lig taper coming up it will take me 3months to get off of !mg, but remembering my first two tapers, it is only time and yes I have sx's but nothing like the first two times. Now you know Medical people will most of the time tell you it is Ok, to jump, but why in the world put your already fragile body through that, and betting they would not tell their Mother that. First remember that you are a Survivor and you have been able to taper to a low dose, and just try to not rush and get slammed, because if you do as you have been doing you will have sx's, but your CNS will not take such a hit, and it is already trying hard to heal. Actually my friend you are closer to Recovery than when you started. only the best to you, and sending you  :hug:'s of Healing Support.  :smitten: 

Yogi the time it takes for a sensible taper from dose to healed is similar as from dose to healed in a uncomfortable taper. A sensible taper is just sensible.

etown

[a7...]

Mountainyogi.....

Did you mean ONE MORE year to be done with 2.something Valium ?

Cause really, IMO, that's really not necessary at all.

I'd say on 2.2 ( sorry I can't see your signature as I'm typing) you'll be done in a few months?

It's so unfair. I was on this for a few months, too. After a misdiagnosis . And there we are. Tapering so , so much longer. But unfortunately the dependency sets in rather quickly and there we go. :tickedoff:

I , and many others, have had a rough patch around your dose. Then everything went better after. It took a few weeks for me for things to settle again.

It's not said this will be how it will be from now on. Stuff comes and goes, all the time. Just as it came on, it could go again.

I read something like : if life give you lemons....just make grape juice and everyone will wonder how the f**k you did that!  ;D

Cause I think we can't always hold on to positivity when this is chemically induced. But we do have to tell ourselves this is not our mind. It's the darn drugs. Literally, our physical brain.

I hear you on the repetitive and intrusive thoughts. I had the Sponge Bob theme song run through my head for days on end and it drove me nuts,

It's going to pass, Yogi.  :smitten:

here is my xcel spread sheet:

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/junemoon1/unnamed_zpsxuzfrp7j.jpg

he has me doing approx 10 percent every 2 weeks. From today, I have 22 weeks to get to 1 >:(

Thanks for the support etown, steve, katz, moodle, and begood.

It's nice to have a former accountant in the house because I would be clueless as to how to use xcel.  I can run a spreadsheet for anyone who needs one out there.  I throw away very little solution.

[a7...]
So one more question for you liquid taperers: I am thinking about switching to milk to see if it's the vodka messing with my belly(I remember someone saying the vodka messed with her belly, Smiff?). Anyway, if I dissolve with milk, is it stored in the fridge? and does it the valium stay dispersed in the solution if it is kept cold?

Hi Mtn Yogi,

I'm not sure if anyone has necessarily ever established that diazepam goes into solution totally in milk...it is said to be fat soluble and it is said to be soluble in ethanol, so theoretically, it should go into solution. My experience with any of the liquids I have used to liquid titration is that there always seems to be some precipitate in the liquid. Whether this is the extra materials, such as binders added to the pills that doesn't dissolve completely or it is in whole or in part the actual diazepam, I don't know. I just shake it all up thoroughly every time I use it no matter what liquid I am using.

Also, yes, milk needs to be refrigerated, but I have seen it reported on the boards here that refrigerating diazepam may make it less potent, although I don't know why that would be the case and I have never tried it. I think people make their milk titration for a day then toss it and make it new for the next day. Unlike having the ethanol in the mix, which  helps combat bacterial growth, milk can be an excellent medium for bacterial growth. Hopefully someone who does a milk titration will chime in!

I make my liquid titration with 151 proof rum...in my state you can't get 190 proof vodka without a special permit. I use 1-2ml of rum in 99-98 mls of water with 1mg (half of a 2mg tablet) for my titration liquid and I cut between 5 mls and 2 mls a day and hold when I feel I need to. I have not had any increased stomach issues during cutting (in fact it got much better when I moved from Ashton cut and hold to daily liquid taper) and I like the fact that I can keep the liquid for days, and even travel without refrigerating it. Everybody is so different, it's important to find what works for you, but I also noticed now that I have been holding at 5mgs (all dry pills) for a few weeks until I finish teaching for the fall term, I have had worse stomach issues than when I was cutting and using the rum liquid titration, so benzos are just difficult that way! I have found candied ginger to be very helpful to me with stomach issues during this w/d, but I take fairly large doses (around 3-5 grams a day) and I'm not sure if that is safe for everyone...?

Hope you feel better soon,

Mo