Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

I am taking the plunge to 1.95 mg. today.

Hey there, ATU, good for you! Breaking the 2 mg barrier gave me a great psychological boost. Before you know it you will be joining us in the Jumpoff Bar. We'll keep a stool warm for you!

:thumbsup:

Okatz

Okatz,

Thanks a heap! I hope I get there soon but not too soon!  ;)

Hugs:

:smitten:

ATU

Hi Moodle.

I just wrote a post but got logged out !

A proper crossover is so difficult because the drugs are so different.

Day and night.

I slept only a few hours last night. Taking K tonight, hopefully I will get some sleep. I'll see what to do later.

I guess most people who have taken either drug took it for anxiety or insomnia. I took it as a muscle relaxant. Pretty much the only thing I noticed was the muscle relaxation. Barely sedating.

That must account for at least some of my difficulties.

Anyway, I'll try to post less frequently. I don't want to bother you with things you cannot do anything about !

I think it would take me a few months at least to get adjusted to the diazepam. At that time, I will have developed tolerance and dependence.

Thanks anyway for the support.

Moo,

So happy to read that your doing so well. :thumbsup:

I was feeling sickly and anxious and so on and so on but I told myself over and over,..its just sensations and there is no danger,..utter acceptance and I just go out and do what I otherwise would shy away from.

Just the act of accepting and plunging ahead has lifted my anxiety and gave me the courage to know I can master these feelings!

Keep on trucking gal!  :)

ATU

ATU,

congrats!

Things get so much better below 2mg, at least it did for my mom.

Question for those who have gone from Klonopin to Valium:

I have made several attempts to switch from clonazepam to diazepam.

My last 'stable' (not!) dose was on clonazepam.

A few times I experienced depression.

Last time before today when I switched, I was in an angry mood.

Is this familiar ? I presume this is related to what the clonazepam has done to me.

I'm seriously reconsidering. Today I tried to switch again, and now I feel sedated, tired, exhausted, depressed. I thought I'd tolerate the anger, I was not expecting this.

Do a proper cross over and switch slowly.

etown

I can't, I'm sorry. Ashton doesn't apply.

I dose only once a day, valium and klonopin are as different as night and day.

I can't just reduce the clonazepam a bit and add a bit of diazepam. I could try to explain, but what good would that do ? Sory about the *I*.

The depression and exhaustion vs. anger last time just surprised me.

A proper cross over applies exactly because they are so different .

Dosing once a day doesn't mean you can't do a cross over either : you can substitute small amount at a time.

The sedation lasts a few weeks for most people. I felt like a zombie. Exhausted AND ramped up inside .

Depression is different for everyone on this junk .

:thumbsup:

E!! Give us some news about you ? How are you feeling ?

I'm getting plenty of the sick dizzies and pretty much sweating all night long.

Other than that, my mind is much more clear.

I'm feeling kind of withdrawn though, not really feeling like going out much still but really starting to enjoy some things I'm doing again.

Got the flu shot last week and it kicked my butt for a few days.

Other than that :  :thumbsup:

I guess. ::)

News? Well.....I feel like acute crap to be honest.  Nothing I didn't expect tho except for the heartburn. It hasn't affected my life too much yet. Looking forward to Curacao in 3 weeks. Dizzy Curacao lol i expect to be way better by then. I'm just glad to be done. Now true healing can begin.

Etown

News? Well.....I feel like acute crap to be honest.  Nothing I didn't expect tho except for the heartburn. It hasn't affected my life too much yet. Looking forward to Curacao in 3 weeks. Dizzy Curacao lol i expect to be way better by then. I'm just glad to be done. Now true healing can begin.

Etown

Etown,

Have an excellent trip and let the healing begin!

Hi folks,

Its been awhile. I had to hold for quite sometime. Diagnosis of new disease. My question: I am starting a new protocol for another condition and my doc has required me to take 1000mgs of Vitamin C. Will this affect the levels of Diazepam in my blood?

Hi folks,

Its been awhile. I had to hold for quite sometime. Diagnosis of new disease. My question: I am starting a new protocol for another condition and my doc has required me to take 1000mgs of Vitamin C. Will this affect the levels of Diazepam in my blood?

No. Vitamin C is an antioxident which freely shares an electron to free radicals which are missing one.

I have given my mom 1,000 mg C daily for years during 2 different tapers and no problems.

Moo,

So happy to read that your doing so well. :thumbsup:

Ddd

I was feeling sickly and anxious and so on and so on but I told myself over and over,..its just sensations and there is no danger,..utter acceptance and I just go out and do what I otherwise would shy away from.

Just the act of accepting and plunging ahead has lifted my anxiety and gave me the courage to know I can master these feelings!

Keep on trucking gal!  :)

ATU

ATU,

congrats!

Things get so much better below 2mg, at least it did for my mom.

mrtmeo,

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope it gets easier but in my case I seriously doubt it.

This time I'm going slow so maybe you will be right!  :thumbsup:

:)

ATU

mrtmeo,

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope it gets easier but in my case I seriously doubt it.

This time I'm going slow so maybe you will be right!  :thumbsup:

:)

ATU

Once my mom got below 1.5mg, improvements were really noticeable on my end.

However, now, that she is at .04mg she doesn't have much energy but this could be due to her immune suppressant, so you might find some nice improvements soon.

So…….

After more than 40 years of taking Valium, today I am finally free!

And this Valium/DiazePam thread was a life saver to me. So this is where I say thanks.

In December of 2013, I could barely sleep, and began the deadly practice of washing down Valium with alcohol. Just for some sleep. I realized I had to get off.  I found a psychiatrist to help me. I found Ashton. I found Benzo Buddies. What great luck. What an amazing group of people.

I was so confused when I landed here. The word "taper" and "cut and hold" were new to my vocabulary (well, not NEW, but, new in this context!!!). Those terms had to be explained. They were explained.  The way to taper, dose-wise needed to be explained.  It was explained. The tools to taper had to be explained. They were explained. What to expect had to be explained. It was explained. I was afraid.  I was assured. And as I made my way down, many many people helped. I could not have done it without you.

I want to say thanks. I need to say thanks.  I am, of course, very happy.  But more than that, I am grateful. To  BB itself, and to the people who helped along the way. Amazing people. Generous people. I have been touched by all of you.

Below is a smattering of people who helped me in the first couple of weeks. I hope I haven’t missed anyone.

magrita "Hello stevesny. Welcome to benzobuddies, glad you found us."

Thank you, Magrita, so am I!!!

bring-it-on "Hi Stevesny, Welcome to bb, you have made a good choice signing up to these forums, this is the second best decision you will ever make benzo related, the first was actually knowing you had to get off them in the first place. A big well done!"

Thank you, bring, thank you so much!

Morreweg "Hi stevesny, Valium, benzos, are no permanent solution."

Thank you Morreweg, no, they certainly are not!

Diaz-Pam "There are other options though like a small amount of vodka, suspension agents like Ora-Plus/Ora-Sweet, or I think the best method is getting a prescription for pharma grade liquid valium/diazepam."

Thank you, Diaz-Pam, pharma grade liquid valium/diazepam it was!

SG57 "Lots of questions!  lol, that's good.  I'll try to answer them.:)"

Thank you SG57, you did!

builder "Daily taper and microtaper are essentially the same thing."

Thank you, builder, I knew nothing at the time. You cleared it up for me!

groovejuice "Steve, I just wanted to chime in after reading because I see your Pdoc gave you Gabapentin."

Thank you, groovejuice, she certainly did!

wannafeelwell "When my doctor cut me down he gave me  2mg tabs and 5mg tabs.  I started cutting out 1mg daily  by taking a 5mg tab then 2 x 2mg tabs later on in the day"

Thank you so much, wanna; haven't seen you in a while, hope you're ok!

zizi "Hi Steve My only suggestion would be for you to request that you be in charge of your taper"

Thank you, zizi, I did, and now I am free!

bolders "With a carefully thought thorough plan, and soaking in the wisdom that is dotted all over BB, you and I can be free of these pills. They ain't no good for us."

Thank you, bolders, they certainly ain’t! Now we are both free!

Smiff "Sounds good steve. If you do have 1mg in 100mls of liquid however you can take out 2ml which is equal to 0.2mg. I think you understood that but sometimes the mg and mls maybe got confused in some of the explanation."

Thank you, Smiffy, you have cleared up confusion for me all over da place!! :)

oregonkatz "Steve I use just enough vodka to cover the tablets well. I use a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon. Works well...Hope this helps.

Thank you Oregon, although I did it differently, you're input was more helpful than you may know!

etown "Hey Steve - welcome to the working thread. Another long term user! over 20 years for me. I haven't been around much this weekend. Had my niece over. 25 years old and dumped 5000 lbs of drama on me."

Thank you, etown, I hope that has all been settled by now!

jjrosk "If you don't know by now, "80/20" means that you feel 80% "normal" with 20% manage w/d symptoms. It's definitely a subjective thing, but a pretty good guideline for a sx based taper."

Thank you, JJ, ya! I’m  80% crazy and 20% nuts!!!

bart "I've been an advocate for a nice and slow taper going at whatever pace gives you some but not too bad of symptoms."

Thank you, bart, well, that was more or less true, and now I'm free (of Benzos, that is!)

Mom of One "Hi Steve, glad you felt well today!Just saying a quick hi."

Thank you Ma (it’s life and life only! Now, where do ya think THAT line came from!!) And a quick hi back!!!!

KIddo1977 "Hi Stevensy - glad you popped by  :) so happy to hear you are doing well."

Thanks Kiddo, hope you are doing well too!!!

Rabbit11 "Steve - how you doing, haven't heard from you in a day or so."

Thanks Rabbit, doing pretty ok now, you?]

FluterByee "Glad ya found us. FluterByee or as some certain someone here gets a kick out of calling me FluterKilla."

Thank you Fluter, glad I found you too!

Stevesny’s first log post,  at  ~.5 reduction

"Starting daily taper: tablets + liquid; .04 to start

20mg - April 3, 2014. Began Valium in 1971 at 5 mg.

19.96mg - April 4, 2014; first time I've reduced in 40 years!

19.92mg - April 5, 2014

19.88mg - April 6, 2014 - Vivid dreams + light headed + queasy. Seems too soon for any symptoms, though, so possibly something else

19.84mg - April 7, 2014 - much much improved

19.80mg - April 8, 2014 - (daily posts will stop at 19.5! :))

19.76mg - April 9, 2014

19.72mg - April 10, 2014 - I want to increase rate, but will resist

19.68mg - April 11, 2014 - Queasy + lightheaded

19.64mg - April 12, 2014 - Quease gone; still lightheaded

19.60mg - April 13, 2014

19.56mg - April 14, 2014

19.52mg - April 15, 2014

19.48mg - April 16, 2014"

Thanks stevesny, ya done yourself a favor!!!

Now, this list won’t  be complete without a special thanks to 4 of yous.

Mom of One, aka Moo, aka Moodle: All along, but especially for the last few months, and particularly during my recent  times of most distress, you were there for me.  To help, and just generally chew the fat. That has meant a lot to me. A lot. Along with some laughs. And food. Ham and pickles. Nutella. Yeah, that. :) You are now free yourself. I hope the coming days and weeks do you well.

FluterByee: Upon finding the chat for support thread, after being directed there by Smiff, we became fast friends. We chatted about this and that. The good. The bad. Everything. And you helped me way way way WAY beyond benzos, as you well know!!!!!! A true pal (My Texas Palskie!!!) :) Oh yes, and I haven’t forgotten Hump Day! Hey, my last dose was on Hump Day! How about that?? :)

Diaz-Pam:  You taught me how to taper.  Got me going. I was in the wilderness. You brought me out (sounds almost biblical haha). You shared happy emotional moments with me. Like when I went to my p-doc and finally got liquid. I was so afraid I might not. You shared that moment with me. And many many many more. And you have for others as well. “All your kids,“ as you recently put it. You started the thread that I “hung out on” till I got my benzo legs!!! And I proudly walk with those legs!! :)

And finally Smiff:  What can I say. You have been with me for the distance. You have written a novel helping me. (And many many others;  you must have a shelf full of novels)!!!! Helping even whilst in distress yourself. With suggestions.  And not just casual suggestions, but thought through and considered suggestions.  Even researched (or so it has seemed). Tapering help. Dosing help.  Add in empathy and compassion, and we get you.  Oh yeah, humor!! Haha! (Sorry if I'm embarrassing you! Not really :)) 12 days ago even, when benzo hell broke loose, you were there to help. When I wanted to reinstate, you were there to help. When I did a quick about-face, 11 days ago, and realized that, in spite of symptoms, I had to move on and finish my taper, you were there.

And now I’m free. Yippee! :)

And finally (it’s about time, eh?!)  to everyone: To be appreciative is one thing. I feel deep thanks to all of you. To help, support, give, love is quite another. When we commit acts of kindness, they become who we are; who you are. I love you all.

Steve :smitten:

Aw Steve!!!

I Am SO SO happy for you to be done.

Very, very well done the last few months ! I'm more than glad you stuck to it and that you've taken your last dose.

This ...is just the best news!

Healing all the way now. H4H ;)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[shadow=red,left]BENZO FREEDOM FOR STEVE !!!! WELL DONE!!! [/shadow]

HI STEVE (MY PALSKI) :)

I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU! IN FACT, I'VE BEEN BROUGHT TO TEARS  :'(  HAPPY TEARS.

THIS HAS BEEN A LONG TIME COMING MY FRIEND, AND YOU MADE IT!!!

FEEL PROUD OF YOURSELF, YOU HAD THE DESIRE, THE STRENGTH, & THE WILL TO PUSH FORWARD NO MATTER YOUR SX'S. YOU SAW IT, BELIEVED IT, AND IT HAPPENED.

WE HAVE SHARED MUCH OVER THE LAST YEAR, AND THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST.

BIG HUGS TO YOU AND CONTINUED HEALTH AND HEALING.

WELCOME BACK TO YOUR LIFE...

LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP TO YOU ALWAYS,

FLUTERBYEE  :smitten:

P.S. THIS IS FOR YOU

BOB DYLAN

"FOREVER YOUNG"

Just want to say Congrats and great job, you give me hope that I can get off.  I am having a bad day and love to hear of your success.  Now go live a benzo free life and be well.  So happy for you.

Oh Steve

I am so gosh darn immensely happy for you (a little teary even Steven)

You've worked hard and steadily to be freeeee

And free you are my friend

So much love, affection and warmth

Love

Me

Steve - you are my hero. I can't even begin to imagine what 40 years of benzo use must have been like. Life is going to be a whole new adventure for you now. To be finally free of such a horrible drug is going to be like walking from a dark room out into the sunshine on a beautiful spring day.

Please be sure you write a success story when you feel able, because there are so many people who think that being benzo free is impossible after such a long time. You, my friend, have proven it is very possible. You just need to stick with the program, because we all know it works.

I'm so happy for you today. You kicked benzo in the butt!! :boxer:

Steve, congratulations! You DID kick benzo butt bigtime!! Good for you, my friend, and welcome to "the other side". I am glad if my tiny bit of advice helped you.

Okatz

So…….

After more than 40 years of taking Valium, today I am finally free!

Steve, I am soo happy for you....you are free!

Steve,

Way to go my friend.

I don't believe we talked much but I am genuinely grateful of every tired soul here who makes it through.

I intend on joining that group one day soon.  :thumbsup:

Peace & Healing to you.

ATU

Well thank you all AGAIN!

Some of you have been free for a while. Some more recently (the class of 2015!). Some seem to be closing in, and some on their way.

But one thing we all have in common is that we all have healed or are healing. All of us. We are doing it.

Healing hurts. There seems to be no getting around it.

To those still working their way down, please remember what I have told myself along the way: In the end, we all win. Everyone of us!

Love,

Well thank you all AGAIN!

Some of you have been free for a while. Some more recently (the class of 2015!). Some seem to be closing in, and some on their way.

But one thing we all have in common is that we all have healed or are healing. All of us. We are doing it.

Healing hurts. There seems to be no getting around it.

To those still working their way down, please remember what I have told myself along the way: In the end, we all win. Everyone of us!

Love,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so truly happy and excited for you!

Thanks for sharing your story. As one of the few other BBs I have seen on the boards here who has been on for 40 years or more (I was first put on Valium in 1969) and who is close to my age, you have given me tremendous hope! I'm down to 5mgs/day now and have been struggling with increasing migralepsy symptoms as well as worrying if, after so many years on Benzos, I can really do this at my age and what it will be like when I finally jump. I'm concerned that age, ill health and so much time spent on Benzos will make it much more difficult, but you have really inspired me to try to keep going anyway. Your upbeat attitude and perseverance are what I have been keeping in mind all this week.

I am wondering if, and how much, you think the additional meds you took (gabapentin and trazadone?) helped with your taper?

Best Wishes to you!

Mo