Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

ok this is dumb question sry. But is .5 mean 5mg? Im on .25 of Xanax so im on quarter of 1mg and want to taper off .I have read that i need stronger valium to do this. thanks

ok this is dumb question sry. But is .5 mean 5mg? Im on .25 of Xanax so im on quarter of 1mg and want to taper off .I have read that i need stronger valium to do this. thanks

.5 is same as 0.5 mgr.

So,no. That's not 5 mgr but 0.5 mgr.

Big big difference !

0.25 mgr Xanax equals 5 mgr of Valium.

Valium isn't stronger than Xanax. It's a different acting benzo with a much longer half life.

It's much longer acting than Xanax and will need a few weeks to fully build up in your system ,in case you are planning to do a cross over.

By now means do you HAVE to switch to Valium to taper off Xanax.

A cross over is recommended if people can't come off their original benzo.

.25 X equals 5mg of Valium.  If you fail or have a very hard time tapering off your X, then you could try a crossover.

There is a Xanax thread that can steer you in the right direction on how to taper off the X.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=96799.0

I was taking my Valium 20 in am and 20 in pm.  When I told my doc that at about 2pm everyday I felt unwell, he changed it to 3 times a day. 12mg at 8am 12 mg at 2 pm and 16 at 8pm. That took care of my 2 pm problem.......Have any of you ever found that you have to change the times of your dosing schedules?  I currently take 10 mg at 10 am, 10 mg at 2 pm and 12mg at 7 pm..... I'm a bit wary of changing things too much because it always takes like 7 days for changes to catch up with you on Valium but I am really struggling with the afternoon.  But I don't want to take doses too close together either.  Anybody have any ideas? How I could switch around and make my life more comfortable ?Any advice or ideas appreciated.

Thanks guys.  I would rather dose twice a day if possible.

Great question about dosing schedules and I'm sure all of us have our own preferences and stories. If I was you, I'd spread out the doses into 3, keep them as equal as possible but since you don't have sleep issues maybe take more in your 2 earlier doses. Also, go by how you feel. If you're calm and have some alone time in morning don't take as much. If at work and busier at 130pm? (You do mention afternoon is most difficult, right?) Take a little of what wasn't taken in your 1st dose. I've learned here about the half life of Valium and that you can go longer than you "think" because it is in your blood so long. Good luck to you and everyone else today and every day.  :thumbsup:

Thank you so much  for your  reply. The tinnitus actually starts about 2 hours after my valium (I tested that out) so I thought that must not be it. I have wondered if the valium had become "paradoxical," but not much I could do about it; prob still not wise to jump at current level. At my current dose, even very small reductions seem to have an effect. I've never up dosed since I started, but I think I will go from .38 back to.40 and see.

If you or anyone has anything to add, much much appreciated!

Steve

Hi Steve,

It sounds like you may have tapered faster than your sweet spot.

I had this problem with my mom having new sx's 2 hours after dosing because I had tapered her too fast and then, updosed inlne with where she should have been and things gradually worked out.

However, when that happened, I started dosing her 3 times per day to see if that would help and it did a little.

Sometimes a good long hold helps.

Bart understands this pretty well, so you could ask him.

Hi Guys,

Got very helpful input on and off the thread so thank you very much!!!! As a follow up, some details and a further question, if you have up-dosed at this level:

At about .48mg  of valium,  (down from 20; now tapering .02mg/day) I began experiencing tinnitus a few hours per day. At .38 it became all the time. I up-dosed to .42 yesterday and tinnitus is still there, maybe a bit less, not sure.

I understand that at < .5 valium or so tinnitus is not uncommon.

Anyone with experience at up-dosing a little at this level (say maybe by .1mg)? I’d love to have your input as to how it worked out for you.

Thanks thanks for any help!

Steve

PS – Cross posting to a few threads

Hi Guys,

Got very helpful input on and off the thread so thank you very much!!!! As a follow up, some details and a further question, if you have up-dosed at this level:

At about .48mg  of valium,  (down from 20; now tapering .02mg/day) I began experiencing tinnitus a few hours per day. At .38 it became all the time. I up-dosed to .42 yesterday and tinnitus is still there, maybe a bit less, not sure.

Anyone with experience at up-dosing a little at this level (say maybe by .1mg)? I’d love to have your input as to how it worked out for you.

Thanks thanks for any help!

Steve

PS – Cross posting to a few threads

Hi Steve

IMO a small updose like you suggest will do nothing. At the dose you are at IMO you have 2 options 1. ride it out  2. a one time updose of say 2mg to start  can help but not for long. Sorry for the bad news but what you are experiencing is the acute of off and the exit of the accumulated Valium.

etown

Yesterday I ceased taking a benzodiazepine

It is quite a relief after all this time. My initial benzo use was a bit less than 2 years. Now I've spent 2 years tapering I've accrued 4 years on the evil junk.

Symptoms come and go with a greater intensity but it isn't too difficult to manage, and/or wait out.

I'm looking forward to what life will be like on the other side...

Love to you all

WELL DONE SMIFFY!!!! 

Welcome to Freedom Land. The view is really good over here.

Congrats Smiff!!! :thumbsup::clap:

I have some symptoms last night again, after dosing on the emergency pill on sunday night with much regrets.

Fortunately, my breathing exercise helps and I manage to fall asleep after that.  8)

To be honest, I have not pluck up the courage to throw away all my benzos yet.  :-[ I feel insecure without them

at my house. As I'm writing this, I decided to throw away them tonight. History must not repeat itself again.

It took me 1 year and 8 mths to finish the taper of a 5mgs valium.

I have no regrets to be on the slower path, as I'm functioning much better than in the past. I'm so glad I found

benzobuddies.  :smitten:

Hi Guys,

Hi Steve

IMO a small updose like you suggest will do nothing. At the dose you are at IMO you have 2 options 1. ride it out  2. a one time updose of say 2mg to start  can help but not for long. Sorry for the bad news but what you are experiencing is the acute of off and the exit of the accumulated Valium.

etown

Hi There Etown!

Long time! Since around the time I hopped on this roller coaster!

Thank you VERY MUCH for chiming in. Your reply is very helpful to me. I impulsively took 1mg valium yesterday to give myself a little "backup" but, as you say, I guess I just need to ride it out, and will.

And, as suggested by Moo, I will hold a bit and then lower myself some more.

Hope you're doing well and

Thanks so much again!

Steve

four days no quality sleep, and having a deep aching pain in my belly under the ribs on left side that radiates to my back.  of course i have no doubt that my pancreas is failing or something terrible or terminal.  This is the benzo no less messing with my brain? depression is deep and real :sick:

so River, how long should you wait  between eating and taking Valium?  Thank you.  Cross

I heard you should take your valium on an empty stomach so how long should you wait till you have eaten something?

Maybe this will answer your question

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=119368.msg1567677#msg1567677

wow, couldn't get a better answer than that, thanks mrtmeo!

four days no quality sleep, and having a deep aching pain in my belly under the ribs on left side that radiates to my back.  of course i have no doubt that my pancreas is failing or something terrible or terminal.  This is the benzo no less messing with my brain? depression is deep and real :sick:

Mountain,

If you get any symptoms of jaundice, yellowing of the skin or eyes, go to the ER right away.

Pancreatitis is deadly.

An ultrasound wouldn't hurt.

Mountain,

If you get any symptoms of jaundice, yellowing of the skin or eyes, go to the ER right away.

Pancreatitis is deadly.

Thx Meo, but how do you know if if's not benzo belly and your head messing with you. I started taking the Roxane liquid and maybe it is too much chemical and preservative for me.  I think it is time to make my own or try getting an oil compound like Moodle recommended. I hate my doctor because she is clueless about this process so I have to go spend 150 dollars every time i need to change my script.  I think I may try the vodka titration first.  Does anyone have a hard time traveling with the titration mix and how long can that sit in a jar on the counter before it goes bad?

Mountain,

Pancreatitis is deadly.

Thx Meo, but how do you know if if's not benzo belly and your head messing with you. I started taking the Roxane liquid and maybe it is too much chemical and preservative for me.  I think it is time to make my own or try getting an oil compound like Moodle recommended. I hate my doctor because she is clueless about this process so I have to go spend 150 dollars every time i need to change my script.  I think I may try the vodka titration first.  Does anyone have a hard time traveling with the titration mix and how long can that sit in a jar on the counter before it goes bad?

The only real way to know if it is physical or benzo is to have tests done to make sure.

Did you have the pills before?

If so, are your symptoms different with the roxane vs the pills?

My mom's symptoms were pretty high when she was at 2mg v, but things settled down below 2.

Just make sure you don't really have something serious going on that needs medical attention.

so River, how long should you wait  between eating and taking Valium?  Thank you.  Cross

I heard you should take your valium on an empty stomach so how long should you wait till you have eaten something?

Maybe this will answer your question

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=119368.msg1567677#msg1567677

wow, couldn't get a better answer than that, thanks mrtmeo!

Hi Cross------this is everything that Bets found out:

Hi:

I'm hoping you are feeling better. It's be a hard road for you and I am sorry for this. I have the answer to the OP's thread. I called Genentech, which owns Hoffman-La Roche, which produces both Klonopin and Valium. I talked to a doctor there and here are a couple of answers he gave me. He said it does not matter whether you  take K on an empty stomach or not. However, he said valium should be taken on an empty stomach, as it can lose 25% of its efficacy if taken on a full stomach.  He added that the peak time for  Valium is 1.25 hours on an empty stomach, and 2.5 hours on a full stomach. I didn't ask him about K. The absorption rate for valium on an empty stomach is 15 minutes, compared to 45 minutes on a full stomach. I asked him what the half life is for both of the drugs. He said for valium, "it is up to 100 hours." For k, "it is between 30-40 hours." Hope that helps you folks. Bets

Hiya mountain,

I and many many others have all kinds of symptoms, many  and varied, all over our bodies; you name it, someone's got it.

If you haven't read the various types of symptoms, here are some from Ashton:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm#4

Of course we can also develop medical issues as well, and many people do go to the doctor or ER, some repeatedly.

You may be able to put your mind at ease in 2 ways: 1. be aware that benzos and benzo withdrawal messes with our neurons and bodies big time, and so almost any negative bodily feeling is possible. I have mentioned or heard numerous bad feelings to/from others only to find that we each had this or that crap or scary pain or feeling. 2. You always can go the the ER or see your doctor; if I came to believe I had a disease or real medical  issue, I wouldn't hesitate to do that.

As far as your taper: I use Roxanne liquid. I pour it into a small jar (amber vile or small cough medicine type bottle), and then draw the amount I need into a 1 ml oral syringe (B&D from Vitality Medical) and squirt it into a 3 oz cup of water and drink.

But unless you have difficulty drinking the liquid, or holding it down I personally wouldn't switch, as it is very easy. While anything is possible, it seems unlikely that anything in the liquid is causing your problem. You ARE in withdrawal, and far and away the most likely thing, as you say, is "benzo belly and your head messing with you." I say this sitting here with a variety of symptoms as I type. Some other methods are easy too, of course, like the ones you mentioned, and you certainly can switch at any time if you like. BUT you may want to consider, in general, not jumping around from one thing to the next and driving yourself nuts.

Oh yes, and the "negative committee" on MOO's blog.

AND I love Boulder. One of the nicest places earth. Approaching it by car  from the East, a city at the base of a mountain under a cloud. Have spent time there in several phases of my life.

Hope this helps.

Steve

PS - When I was a kid, I heard a joke about some guy who ate a ridiculous amount of food at a restaurant. And on the way out, he had a mint. Later, he felt very sick, and said to his wife: "Honey, I really shouldn't have had that mint!"

Hiya mountain,

I and many many others have all kinds of symptoms, many  and varied, all over our bodies; you name it, someone's got it.

If you haven't read the various types of symptoms, here are some from Ashton:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm#4

Of course we can also develop medical issues as well, and many people do go to the doctor or ER, some repeatedly.

You may be able to put your mind at ease in 2 ways: 1. be aware that benzos and benzo withdrawal messes with our neurons and bodies big time, and so almost any negative bodily feeling is possible. I have mentioned or heard numerous bad feelings to/from others only to find that we each had this or that crap or scary pain or feeling. 2. You always can go the the ER or see your doctor; if I came to believe I had a disease or real medical  issue, I wouldn't hesitate to do that.

As far as your taper: I use Roxanne liquid. I pour it into a small jar (amber vile or small cough medicine type bottle), and then draw the amount I need into a 1 ml oral syringe (B&D from Vitality Medical) and squirt it into a 3 oz cup of water and drink.

But unless you have difficulty drinking the liquid, or holding it down I personally wouldn't switch, as it is very easy. While anything is possible, it seems unlikely that anything in the liquid is causing your problem. You ARE in withdrawal, and far and away the most likely thing, as you say, is "benzo belly and your head messing with you." I say this sitting here with a variety of symptoms as I type. Some other methods are easy too, of course, like the ones you mentioned, and you certainly can switch at any time if you like. BUT you may want to consider, in general, not jumping around from one thing to the next and driving yourself nuts.

Oh yes, and the "negative committee" on MOO's blog.

AND I love Boulder. One of the nicest places earth. Approaching it by car  from the East, a city at the base of a mountain under a cloud. Have spent time there in several phases of my life.

Hope this helps.

Steve

PS - When I was a kid, I heard a joke about some guy who ate a ridiculous amount of food at a restaurant. And on the way out, he had a mint. Later, he felt very sick, and said to his wife: "Honey, I really shouldn't have had that mint!"

Thanks Steve, I am taking herbs for my pancreas just in case and keeping a close watch but I think the cortisol surges are really throwing my gut out of whack. I have been alternating between pills and Roxane liquid so I think I need to start the vodka titration method once and for all and start taking smaller cuts.  I have done this way too fast and I believe it might have to do with my depression and self-destructive nature these days that is playing out this drama. Boulder is a lovely town, I have been here for about 10 years, originally a Chicago girl. Thank you for the input, I hope you are well.

Thx Meo for the unput as well. BB's are awesome!

I am so tempted to switch to prevacid because the prilosec I take extends the half life of valium.  The risk I take is it will feel like a cut because the inhibitor will be removed and the extra valium will leave my blood.  I want to do this for a piece of mind and know that the prilosec won't prolong my symptoms when I jump at the end of my taper.  Such tough call...