Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

yeah Pam I agree that he is making it  terribly complicated and the only thing that is stopping me from doing the 1:100 ratio is that I'd be using a ml a day and he'd be po'd that I'm not following his instructions, and I'd be going through the liquid too fast and he'd find out.  I am going to talk to him about using your method - it's SO much easier.  But I don't get to speak to him till next week.  I absolutely DO NOT  want to do a fast taper of .3 a day - I'm just so bad at math that I can't  figure out how to micro taper with his convoluted 2:50 ratio.  I think what I meant is a .03 ml cut.  This guy has me so confused.    I want to do it the way you did it, slowish - so thank you for those numbers - that is a help.  Id like to do a 1: 10 ratio and do a .05 reduction per day until I talk to him.  And I agree with you, just get the meds and do what you want but I don't want him to drop me for non compliance - so I have to be careful right now, till I can really spell it out with him. 

Please don’t think I’m getting impatient with you, because I’m not, but I thought we went through all this yesterday and I thought you got it. You ARE NOT using 1ml per day with the 1:100 ratio. You simply make up that mixture and you keeping using it until it's finished, then you make another batch. Initially you will use most of it up each day, but as you keep increasing your reduction you will use less and less of the mixture each day, and you keep the leftovers to use for your next dose.

TBH, it really doesn't matter what ratio you use anyway. Regardless of whether you use the 1:10, 1:100 or his 2ml:50ml you will still use the liquid valium at the same rate, because 1ml = 1mg and you are going to be reducing that 1mg at the same rate regardless of how much water you put with it. How fast you use up the liquid is only related to how fast you taper, and if your doctor has to tapering too fast then the liquid will last longer, but you’ll suffer along the way.

I really wish I could explain it better, but please trust me. The ratio doesn’t matter, so if it's easier for you to use either 1:10 or 1:100 then just use it because it really won't matter either way. You don't even need to tell him what ratio you are using, because you honestly will not be using the liquid any faster whatever ratio you use.

So , Pam ( you have been so patient with me)  I would dilute 1 ml of liquid Diaz to 10 ml water, correct? 

You would put 1ml liquid with 9ml of water and that will equal a total of 10ml.

Then in order to taper by about 5 percent I would deduct .05 per day ( 5, 10, 15 and so on) 

If you are on about 32mg (Is that right?), to reduce by about 5% over a month would mean you would reduce about 0.05mg per day. However, because you have converted that 0.05mg into a 10ml solution you would need to multiply it by 10. So with a 10ml solution you would reduce by 0.5ml (half of 1ml) per day so it would be …..

Day 1 - 0.5ml

Day 2 – 1ml

Day 3 – 1.5ml

Day 4 – 2ml

but I don't think I can do that small of a deduction using the 12 ml syringe - the increments  are  too tiny.  I'd have to use the 1 ml syringe, right? 

You could use either a 1ml or a 10ml syringe, but a 1ml syringe would be better. It will show the fractions of 1ml on the barrel, so you would measure half way up the barrel to the .5 for half a ml.

If I ever get this sorted out it will be a miracle. 

You will get this sorted. It just takes a bit of time to get your head around it, and frankly your doctor is only making things worse by sticking his nose in where it’s not needed.

Because as it stands now , I really don't know how much I have reduced. It's ridiculous.  I'm at the end of my rope with this and he will not talk to me until I finish doing what he told me to do-

which was  2ml: 50 , deduct 10 mls a day for a week,

So in effect he has you reducing 2ml (or 2mg) over 5 days!!! Sorry, but that is ridiculous.

then same solution and deduct 5 mls a day for a week

That’s another 2ml (or 2mg) over 10 days.

" then email me on the 23rd " he said.  He said that 10 mls of his solution is equal to .4 mg and 5mls is equal to .2mg.  So by the end of the second week ( which I am starting now) I don't know where I will be at, how much I will have reduced.

So over a period of 15 days he’s made you reduce by 4mg!!!!!! Am I reading this right? That’s just ridiculous. Can you find another doctor to provide the liquid, or at least you need to have a very serious talk to him to tell him you need to taper according to your body, not according to his schedule.

All of this just to get rid of . 5 mg of my night time dose.  I am beyond confused. How do I get rid of the rest of that .5 mg using his method? Sharkey said he thought it would be a good idea to follow the directions for the first week then start deducting a ml more per day the second week.  Then I'd have three more days to go before the . 5 mg are gone but how much do I take on those three days?  I asked him on the micro taper thread -  I don't know where I'm at with the reduction- can't figure it out.

One thing I know is that I have got to get a better system of micro tapering going than the one my doctor gave me and I am bringing your chart with me to my next appointment because it is so much simpler.  Thank you EVER SO MUCH for your help.  Once I get my daily micro taper sorted out I won't be posting these stupid posts that are driving people nuts.  BLESS YOU!  I'm really really sorry for all the trouble.  Ever so sorry.

As I’m reading this (and hopefully I’ve got it wrong) you will be losing a lot more than just 0.5mg. Please don’t apologise for anything. I’m just really worried that you doctor is a dipstick!!

If anyone can just tell me how to finish that .5 mg reduction, then I will start making the 1:100 ratio and to #%^< with the doctor's convoluted complicated mixing.  It makes no sense.

So you're currently on 32.5mg, and you want to reduce that 0.5mg to get down to 32mg?

Sorry I'm running later and I have to go out right now, but if someone else hasn't replied before I get back, I'll have a look at this later. Gotta rush :)

No he is not reducing me by that much - I am taking 12 mg in pills and using the liquid to reduce the .5 mg.  Sharkey commented on it and said that it sounded like a decent taper except that it isn't a daily micro taper which is what I want to do.  Pam you have bent over backwards to help me .  I don't want to ask you for any more assistance .  You've done enough ,  i think I am just going to have to wait till I can speak to this doctor - who is, incidentally, all for a very slow taper - he's not rushing me at all , it's just that he didn't give me a chance to show him the way I wanted to do it ( your chart) .

I am really just burnt out at this point trying to know what to do. ( I showed your chart to my gp, not my psychiatrist)

Thank you, again for everything and I am really sorry that I'm so slow to understand.  The problem is that I'm confused by his calculations and don't know how to understand them.  I know that I am not reducing too much because I am still taking the 12 mg total of pills in addition to what the psych has me doing to reduce the .5 ( I was taking 12.5 at night) so I'm not worried about that.  It's just that his mix is goofy. And makes it hard to understand how much I'm reducing the .5

Yes - I want to get rid of the .5 - and so far I have done this:

First week mixed 2 ml LD : 50 water, drank 10 mls a day of this solution

Second week ( starting today) same ratio solution, drinking 5 mls of solution per day.

Don't know where I'm at with how much I have reduced.

Like I told you, you've done enough.  I have really been a PIA - just confused and also am so sick from too big of a reduction over the summer that I am very concerned about this taper!  I want to make sure I'm doing it right this time.  Thanks, Pam and have a ........ Relaxing evening and I apologize.

Please don't apologise for anything. I'm am perfectly happy to keep helping you. It's not a bother at all, but I just need to understand exactly what you are doing.

I'm sorry I'm really confused now, because I was of the understanding that you are on a total of 32.5mg per day. Is that not right? Because you just said you are taking 12mg by tablet and reducing the other 0.5mg, which only equals 12.5mg. Where is the other 20mg coming from? Perhaps you are taking that 20mg separately as a second dose. If so, that makes more sense. If we can get on the same page about your dose then I think we can make some headway.

Anyway, if you want to get rid of 0.5mg, and you are using the 1:100 ratio. you would make up a mixture by putting 1ml liquid valium with 99ml of water, to make 100ml.

Then, if you want to reduce roughly 5% over a month (assuming you are on about 32mg per day), you would take the rest of your dose in dry tables each day and reduce the 0.5mg as follows:

Day 1 - Drink 50ml of the mixture and keep the other 50ml for your next dose (+ making a new 100ml mixture when required)

Day 2 - Drink 45ml of the mixture and keep the rest for your next dose

Day 3 - Drink 40ml of the mixture and keep the rest for your next dose

Day 4 - Drink 35ml of the mixture and keep the rest for your next dose

Day 5 - Drink 30ml of the mixture and keep the rest for your next dose

Day 6 - Drink 25ml of the mixture and keep the rest for your next dose

Day 7 - Drink 20ml of the mixture and keep the rest for your next dose

Day 8 - Drink 15ml of the mixture and keep the rest for your next dose

Day 9 - Drink 10ml of the mixture and keep the rest for your next dose

Day 10 - Drink 5ml of the mixture and keep the rest for your next dose

Day 11 - You have reduced the entire 0.5mg

First week mixed 2 ml LD : 50 water, drank 10 mls a day of this solution

Ahh, so you weren't actually "reducing" by 10ml per day (ie day 2 by 20ml, day 3 by 30ml etc). You were actually drinking a straight 10ml per day, every day? That would have been a one-off cut of about 0.4mg.

I'm kind of getting the gist of it now, but I just need to fully understand what you're doing. Frankly, it probably would have just been easier to dry cut 0.5mg. On your dose that kind of cut and hold reduction probably shouldn't cause too many problems, as it is only about a 1.5% cut. 

Like I said, I'm perfectly happy to keep helping you, that's why I come here, but if you need to take some time out to mull things over, and to wait until you talk to your doctor, that's perfectly fine. You can also PM me anytime you want.

PS - I've just been reading through your posts on the micro-tapering thread, and you have explained what you're doing a bit more clearly there. So I now get that you are taking the other 20mg separately. Sorry for the confusion, but I just wasn't sure what was going on.

Anyway, if your doctor is all for you doing a slow taper, and you find the 1:10 or 1:100 ratio more straight forward and easier to understand, which it is, then I would just show him the schedule you have and tell him (don't "ask" him) that this is the way you'd like to do it because you understand it better, and there will be far less confusion and math for you to work out. He will be able to see that you are still using the same amount of liquid, but the ratio is much easier to work with. Maybe he might even learn a thing or two..lol...

I crossed my first dose to valium and I felt better for a week and now I'm going back into a wave of terror and depression and trauma and sickness I do believe the valium is helping a bit but I have liver issues and my liver enzymes are high and since replacing the first dose my whole body is itchy and I don't know if it's from the valium or the withdrawal or if the valium is building up in my liver . I go through these waves of traumatic terror that I've never seen anymore else go through. When it hits I revert to child and I cry and scream in torment and it builds and builds and I kick my legs and feel like I'm drowning. Then I feel extremely fatigue and lethargy and sick like I'm dying and it builds and builds and lasts for a week and THEN IT passes but the trauma takes three days to pass and then I feel normal for a few days to a week my benzo doctor that does Ashton manual and been specialize in benzo withdrawal for 30 years never seen anymore like it

I'm on methadone and gabapentin Also and can't get stable I have to constantly lower and raise my methadone dose to stay stable. I starting to feel overmedicated from the valium but I only taking 10mg of it for a week and so fatigued but I had an amazing week the first week I switch. Is this a wave of some sort.

I have to get stable or cross over even if I don't get stable because it's the only way for me to get off this I can't do detox again I will die or go absolutely completely nuts and then I won't be able to take it if you know what I mean.

My liver hurts but it hurts before the valium but I don't know if this wave will pass it's never passed on it's own without changing something usually the methadone Idk how in affect my benzo symptoms but it does in every single way

I crossed my first dose to valium and I felt better for a week and now I'm going back into a wave of terror and depression and trauma and sickness I do believe the valium is helping a bit but I have liver issues and my liver enzymes are high and since replacing the first dose my whole body is itchy and I don't know if it's from the valium or the withdrawal or if the valium is building up in my liver . I go through these waves of traumatic terror that I've never seen anymore else go through. When it hits I revert to child and I cry and scream in torment and it builds and builds and I kick my legs and feel like I'm drowning. Then I feel extremely fatigue and lethargy and sick like I'm dying and it builds and builds and lasts for a week and THEN IT passes but the trauma takes three days to pass and then I feel normal for a few days to a week my benzo doctor that does Ashton manual and been specialize in benzo withdrawal for 30 years never seen anymore like it

I'm on methadone and gabapentin Also and can't get stable I have to constantly lower and raise my methadone dose to stay stable. I starting to feel overmedicated from the valium but I only taking 10mg of it for a week and so fatigued but I had an amazing week the first week I switch. Is this a wave of some sort.

I have to get stable or cross over even if I don't get stable because it's the only way for me to get off this I can't do detox again I will die or go absolutely completely nuts and then I won't be able to take it if you know what I mean.

My liver hurts but it hurts before the valium but I don't know if this wave will pass it's never passed on it's own without changing something usually the methadone Idk how in affect my benzo symptoms but it does in every single way

Stick with your doctors plan and see what happens when you're fully crossed.  Once you feel you're stable enough, start the taper.

I'm trying but I'm getting slammed right now I'm kicking my legs and screaming and feel like I'm suffocating

I am scared my liver can't handle the valium.

I keep saying how would I become stable crossing over to valium if I've never been stable on any benzo my liver hurts I feel sick and extremely itchy I don't understand why when I first substitute the first dose I felt better and now I'm really bad is it just a wave or did it take that long for the first 1mg to leave my system and now I'm in withdrawal cuz the valium isn't covering it what's happening I can't stop the terror it's not panicked attack it's full on terror and physical emotional agony

I'm trying but I'm getting slammed right now I'm kicking my legs and screaming and feel like I'm suffocating

I keep saying how would I become stable crossing over to valium if I've never been stable on any benzo my liver hurts I feel sick and extremely itchy I don't understand why when I first substitute the first dose I felt better and now I'm really bad is it just a wave or did it take that long for the first 1mg to leave my system and now I'm in withdrawal cuz the valium isn't covering it what's happening I can't stop the terror it's not panicked attack it's full on terror and physical emotional agony

It takes time for the Valium to build up.  At least a few weeks.  Your itchiness is most likely nerve pain.  A lot of people get it as a symptom.

I am not sure about your liver problem.

It takes time for the Valium to build up.  At least a few weeks.  Your itchiness is most likely nerve pain.  A lot of people get it as a symptom.

I am not sure about your liver problem.

Hiphop, I second that. It can take a few weeks for Valium to build up and cover you. I know it's been a rough road for yo so far .

Hi. I am tapering Valium using the vodka titration method. I was on 11mg of V. I was putting my 1mg of V into a glass jar, dissolving it in 2ml of vodka and adding 98ml of water. I was then tapering 3.5ml per day. The thing is, it was going well but now I'm still above 10mg , have stopped for a couple of days at that amount because I felt rough and still feel bad.

My question is, if I feel as bad as this while still over 10mg, how the hell am I going to get through the rest of it?

Hi. I am tapering Valium using the vodka titration method. I was on 11mg of V. I was putting my 1mg of V into a glass jar, dissolving it in 2ml of vodka and adding 98ml of water. I was then tapering 3.5ml per day. The thing is, it was going well but now I'm still above 10mg , have stopped for a couple of days at that amount because I felt rough and still feel bad.

My question is, if I feel as bad as this while still over 10mg, how the hell am I going to get through the rest of it?

4Gillblossom6,

In my opinion and experience, it is not so much the amount you are on that determines how bad we feel while tapering but the rate of taper itself.

In other words a person dropping from 10 mgs. To say 9 mgs. Can experience as much in the way of sxs as someone going from 2 to 1.9 mgs.

So, what this tells me is maybe the size of your daily reduction was more than your body can handle.

You can reduce the daily reduction amount or you can put in regular holds in between daily reductions.

Most people I know on here that do the daily reductions ( I do not as I tried it and found it worse than cut& hold) take holds here and there even though they call it daily titration or daily reductions.

I'm sure some people who follow this method will chime in with suggestions as well.

Peace & health

:smitten:

ATU

Gilly, I agree with ATU and suspect this may be the cause of your trouble:

So, what this tells me is maybe the size of your daily reduction was more than your body can handle.

We all need to listen to our bodies during this taper and evidently your body is telling you something is wrong.

Fortunately, this can be fixed! A smaller reduction rate . . . and as ATU suggests, maybe planned holds every month? I know DP was taking about this just the other day and said that if she had things to do over again, she would do planned holds.

So . . . some things to think about.

Don't despair. I believe things can be fixed so you can have a tolerable taper.

That's interesting arcade. It does seem harsh to be cutting every single day. How long did you hold? Or did it depend on how you felt? Thanks for your help.

That's interesting arcade. It does seem harsh to be cutting every single day. How long did you hold? Or did it depend on how you felt? Thanks for your help.

I am cutting .01ml per day.  I am very sensitive to meds so lately it's been cut when I feel decent.  I guess I am doing more of a symptom based taper.  If my baseline is at least 80%, I'll cut.

It's a very small daily cut.

Gilly,

Cuts can catch up on your when your taper rate is too quick so I'm thinking the 1 mgr every 28 days is too harsh maybe.

You tried it. You got to start somewhere and you never know how or what so now you do.

It's really not unusual to land in a wave but IMO I would hold a bit till you pull out of this one and then continue use it use on with a smaller cut rate and then see again a few weeks after.

I'll post the same thing on the v thread too so we are good.

I don't necessarily think holds HAVE to be implemented but you could. It's not a race. But once you make smaller cuts it should not be necessary. I did do holds but then again, I cut differently and our bodies are different too.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, it is all a bit of a trial and error and there isn't another way to find out but to try it and see how it goes,

Please don't despair . Waves are part of this journey but you'll see it's not as insurmountable as you think right now. I've been in the same spot and it's a matter of finding your taper rate, I believe.

This bump definitely does not mean you will stay like this. In fact, I think if you hold a few days you'll start to feel better again .

You're cutting 0.5 mgr every 2 weeks now, if I'm correct. Since you're using a 1 mgr pill , you're reducing 1 mgr every 28 days, right ?

Which is 3.5 ML a day. Which is 0.035 MGR a day.

Maybe yiu could try holding here and then continue with 2.5 ML cuts daily, which is 0.025 MGR a day and that comes  down to 20 days to reduce 0.5 mgr ( or 40 days for a MGR)

Gilly:

Figuring out your taper rate at the beginning can be a real challenge.

If it were me, I would hold here for at least a week and re-group. Once you feel better you can decide what to do. A smaller taper rate . . . planned holds . . . things to think about.

If it's any consolation to you, we've all been where you are. And for that matter, even when you get things figured out, you will still have to make adjustments.

Don't despair. There are folks here to help you.  :thumbsup:

Okatz

Hi All,

I have been so busy with work and ill parents, I haven't been around for awhile, but I'm back and just looking for a little advice or ideas here in case anyone wants to share...

To recap, I went from the Ashton XO (from A to V) taper starting at the equivalent of about 25-30 mg of V in November of 2014 (after more than 40 years off and on Benzos for Migralepsy), but began having seizure migraines (and other unpleasant symptoms) so I changed to the Vodka titration method at about 9 mg V in May of 2015 and had pretty smooth sailing down to 6mg, which I reached in July 2014. At that point I started having seizure migraines again, so held for a month. And felt great! Then in August I started tapering again at between 3-5 mls per day and it's been a nightmare. I am now still at 5.20mg per day, 5 mgs as tablet and .20 mgs as titrated liquid. I am having crazy vertigo, depersonalization, ringing in my ears, headaches, problems with eyesight and things being too bright, head pressure, perception problems, crazy nightmares, feeling unreal and suddenly a lot more seizure migraines again -- about 2-3 per week, which is making my neurologists very uneasy, and it's not much fun for me.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...no changes in ANYTHING that I am aware of. Same brand of V, same titration method, same meditation daily, same diet and exercise routine, not any more stressed out than usual, just can't seem to get over this. I was only cutting a little bit and now I have been holding for 7 days and the sxs seem almost as bad as when I was cutting big time with Ashton. I'm so frustrated to be held up for 3 months on cutting by only 2mgs and having such extreme sxs. Since the titration was going so smoothly I didn't expect to have such severe sxs at this point!

Anyone else experience this on a titration -- especially at this low a dose?

Thanks so much for any feedback!

Mo

Hi All,

I have been so busy with work and ill parents, I haven't been around for awhile, but I'm back and just looking for a little advice or ideas here in case anyone wants to share...

To recap, I went from the Ashton XO (from A to V) taper starting at the equivalent of about 25-30 mg of V in November of 2014 (after more than 40 years off and on Benzos for Migralepsy), but began having seizure migraines (and other unpleasant symptoms) so I changed to the Vodka titration method at about 9 mg V in May of 2015 and had pretty smooth sailing down to 6mg, which I reached in July 2014. At that point I started having seizure migraines again, so held for a month. And felt great! Then in August I started tapering again at between 3-5 mls per day and it's been a nightmare. I am now still at 5.20mg per day, 5 mgs as tablet and .20 mgs as titrated liquid. I am having crazy vertigo, depersonalization, ringing in my ears, headaches, problems with eyesight and things being too bright, head pressure, perception problems, crazy nightmares, feeling unreal and suddenly a lot more seizure migraines again -- about 2-3 per week, which is making my neurologists very uneasy, and it's not much fun for me.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...no changes in ANYTHING that I am aware of. Same brand of V, same titration method, same meditation daily, same diet and exercise routine, not any more stressed out than usual, just can't seem to get over this. I was only cutting a little bit and now I have been holding for 7 days and the sxs seem almost as bad as when I was cutting big time with Ashton. I'm so frustrated to be held up for 3 months on cutting by only 2mgs and having such extreme sxs. Since the titration was going so smoothly I didn't expect to have such severe sxs at this point!

Anyone else experience this on a titration -- especially at this low a dose?

Thanks so much for any feedback!

Mo

Hi Mosart,

I have seen quite a few members hit a wall between 5mg and 3mg.  Everything was going smoothly until I hit 4mg.  I held there for a VERY long time until stable.  Some members have a harder time in the !lower dosages.  My opinion is to hold until your body catches up.  It might be a long hold but you'll stabilize eventually. 

I know some others will chime in here about their wall around this dosage.

Mosart I hit the wall at 3.5 mgs . . . had to go back up to 4 and hold forever (9 stinking weeks). My s/x were terrible including nausea, dizziness, head pressure, ear ringing . . .

Things eventually sorted themselves out but it was sure frustrating while I waited.

Give it a little more time . . . or a lot more time if that's what it takes. You'll get back to baseline.

Okatz

Hey guys,

So I got the okay from my psychiatrist to do my daily micro taper my OWN way .

I have a few questions from those who have been doing this.  I am using ml LD:99 ml water and debuting 3 mls per day ( 3,6,9 etc. ) to reduce 1 mg in 33 days.

My daily dosage is 32 mg diazepam ( 10mg morning, 10 mg afternoon, 12 mg night) currently and I am still not feeling good ( fatigue , nausea , depression) from some big cuts I did from 40 mg back in July and August , so I am going to start slow, with my nightly dose.  My questions are:

When you are micro tapering , when do you start to feel the effects of the cuts?  I do not want to crash again- I'm still suffering from some mistakes I've made at the beginning of this journey some months ago ( kindling?).  Do you " hold" anywhere along the way or just keep pulling?

I am using 10 mg pills and 2 mg pills at night, and that is the dose I am starting to reduce first.If I cut the 2 mg pill in half its not exactly in half - I'm wondering if I'm better off using 200 mls of solution and pulling from that instead of using 2 mg pills  broken in half unevenly so I get a more exact measurement ?

Is it a good idea to switch to tapering from a different dosage ( morning or afternoon ) the next month or does one just keep micro tapering the entire night dose to get rid of it? Afternoons are my most difficult times - I'm just so wiped out and nauseous that I am reluctant to reduce that afternoon dose, and in fact am wondering if I should add the two mg that I normally take at night along with the 10 mg and add it on to my afternoon dose and deduct it from my nightly dose because I feel so " withdrawly" in the afternoon.

This is a weird process.  I feel like the mad scientist.  Not quite comfortable with the whole thing but I guess I will get used to it - maybe making in larger doses is a better idea ( 495 ml water to 5 mg LD) but  We have well water , not city water - so no chlorine - should I refrigerate my solution?

If anyone can give me their ideas on these things , I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks to all of you-