Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

etownnnnn!!! It's so GOOD to see you, friend!!! Help me!!! Does milk thistle "cleanse" your liver? I started taking it 5 weeks ago to "help." I read something earlier about it detoxing the liver. I've been having a HARD time for a month! Could that be why, do you think?

Milk thisle can push things out the liver, so it can cause an increase in symptoms while tapering.

I did see an increase in symptoms with my mom when I gave her milk thistle.

You did? You DID??? I'm so HAPPY (not about your dear mom)!!! Maybe THAT'S what this month-long agony is from!!!! No milk thistle tonight! I guess it'll take a bit for anything that's been "cleansed" to build back up. But what a RELIEF!! I held for two weeks it got so bad! And saw no improvement! I'm so grateful to maybe know a reason. THANK YOU, mr.!!!!!!!

(Could I use any more !!!!!!!!!!? ??? ??) Sorry. I'm just so darn excited!

Hi Snow,

I just use milk thistle on my mom like a couple times per month.

Once she is off the valium and it is out of her system, I will use it like once per week.

She doesn't have a gallbladder, so it helps push out bile.

etownnnnn!!! It's so GOOD to see you, friend!!! Help me!!! Does milk thistle "cleanse" your liver? I started taking it 5 weeks ago to "help." I read something earlier about it detoxing the liver. I've been having a HARD time for a month! Could that be why, do you think?

Milk thisle can push things out the liver, so it can cause an increase in symptoms while tapering.

I did see an increase in symptoms with my mom when I gave her milk thistle.

You did? You DID??? I'm so HAPPY (not about your dear mom)!!! Maybe THAT'S what this month-long agony is from!!!! No milk thistle tonight! I guess it'll take a bit for anything that's been "cleansed" to build back up. But what a RELIEF!! I held for two weeks it got so bad! And saw no improvement! I'm so grateful to maybe know a reason. THANK YOU, mr.!!!!!!!

(Could I use any more !!!!!!!!!!? ??? ??) Sorry. I'm just so darn excited!

Hi Snow,

I just use milk thistle on my mom like a couple times per month.

Once she is off the valium and it is out of her system, I will use it like once per week.

She doesn't have a gallbladder, so it helps push out bile.

Thank you so much, Mister Mr. I'm so RELIEVED to have a (maybe) answer!!

I do hope your mom is WELL.

Love,

Snowy

Thank you so much, Mister Mr. I'm so RELIEVED to have a (maybe) answer!!

I do hope your mom is WELL.

Love,

Snowy

My mom says thank you snow!

Yes, it is always comforting to find out what is making the taper not work well.

I had to find this out the hard way several times like so many others before my mom.

[78...]

mrtmeo,

When you say "Psych meds do damage to the nervous system and the body cannot repair this damage quickly."

I was wondering about about those of us who have to take them for the rest of our lives? Is it all Psych meds you are talking about or just Benzo's.

I have done some research myself and it's quire scarey. I was wondering if you had any other insight int to this.

There are many other factors not taken into consideration when they do clinical trials/research so that gives me some hope.

Hi Anon,

I am talking about all pyschiatric class meds.

As Dr Peter Breggin says, "There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance in our brains except those put there by Drs".

The scariest part is that some psych meds can cause permanent brain damage, so why would anyone even consider them?

I would rather figure out what organ dysfunction is causing my symptoms than treat the symptoms.

mrmeo, or should we call you Dr. Meo? Did you study medicine because you sure use a lot if big words and are quite articulate with your medical terminology or just good at cut and paste?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-bradley/some-background-on-peter-_b_4333.html

mrtmeo,

When you say "Psych meds do damage to the nervous system and the body cannot repair this damage quickly."

I was wondering about about those of us who have to take them for the rest of our lives? Is it all Psych meds you are talking about or just Benzo's.

I have done some research myself and it's quire scarey. I was wondering if you had any other insight int to this.

There are many other factors not taken into consideration when they do clinical trials/research so that gives me some hope.

Hi Anon,

As Dr Peter Breggin says, "There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance in our brains except those put there by Drs".

The scariest part is that some psych meds can cause permanent brain damage, so why would anyone even consider them?

I would rather figure out what organ dysfunction is causing my symptoms than treat the symptoms.

mrmeo, or should we call you Dr. Meo? Did you study medicine because you sure use a lot if big words and are quite articulate with your medical terminology or just good at cut and paste?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-bradley/some-background-on-peter-_b_4333.html

I sure hope I read this wrong.

You weren't criticizing mr, right? Because he is a noble man who is helping his dear mother with a VERY difficult taper, and he knows a HECK of a lot. Hard-earned experience.

By the way, imo the HuffPo is a rag. If they're against him, I'd trust him all the more.

That's just my opinion, of course.

Fran and Snowy thank you for the thumbs up on Nordic Naturals.

And Anon, I was skeptical too about Dr. Peter Breggin until I read his books. "Toxic Psychiatry" really made me think hard about psychiatry. Several other psychiatrists have since "come out" about their profession. I suggest you read Breggin's books and not rely on The Huffington Post. Also, I recommend "Unhinged" by Daniel Carlatt. 

Hi Anon,

No, I have no medical background except that I have been studying the medical literature for years now.

When I find things that work, I find medical documentation to back it up because most people don't believe in natural measures unless there is something to show proof.

There is no scientific proof, scan, blood test, tissue sample, etc that can prove that the human brain has a chemical imbalance or that their is damage to the central nervous system from this imbalance.

If there were, we would all have proof of the damage done by benzo's and a legit lawsuit against big pharma.

This is the whole problem that so many suffer horribly with the medical system ignoring their suffering and big pharma can't be sued due to a lack of proof that these drugs cause severe pain and suffering.

People get nerve conduction tests that come out negative for nerve damage, yet they suffer the same pain that those with positive nerve conduction test results, suffer.

This is the biggest shame on the medical system that there is a complete lack of compassion for all those suffering from these drugs, but are told the drug is not causing their pain and suffering.

[78...]

Hi Anon,

No, I have no medical background except that I have been studying the medical literature for years now.

When I find things that work, I find medical documentation to back it up because most people don't believe in natural measures unless there is something to show proof.

mrtmeo, I respect all you have done to help people here. You are a very kind person. The only thing that concerns me is the black and white approach. I agree that there is a lot of damage being done to innocent people by pharmaceutical companies and bad psychiatry. I do know in certain cases there is a need for psychiatric meds. for conditions such as schizophrenia. It's when certain meds are dolled out like candy for off label use and false diagnosis it's a serious problem and I agree it happens all to often.

Fran and Snowy thank you for the thumbs up on Nordic Naturals.

And Anon, I was skeptical too about Dr. Peter Breggin until I read his books. "Toxic Psychiatry" really made me think hard about psychiatry. Several other psychiatrists have since "come out" about their profession. I suggest you read Breggin's books and not rely on The Huffington Post. Also, I recommend "Unhinged" by Daniel Carlatt.

OregonKatz-After reading Spark I am interested in reading some books about the brain and healing. Are there any other books that you recommend? Thanks!

[78...]

There is no scientific proof, scan, blood test, tissue sample, etc that can prove that the human brain has a chemical imbalance or that their is damage to the central nervous system from this imbalance.

If there were, we would all have proof of the damage done by benzo's and a legit lawsuit against big pharma.

This is the whole problem that so many suffer horribly with the medical system ignoring their suffering and big pharma can't be sued due to a lack of proof that these drugs cause severe pain and suffering.

People get nerve conduction tests that come out negative for nerve damage, yet they suffer the same pain that those with positive nerve conduction test results, suffer.

This is the biggest shame on the medical system that there is a complete lack of compassion for all those suffering from these drugs, but are told the drug is not causing their pain and suffering.

I am not arguing with you on that big pharma point but there are meds that saves lives and there is no disputing that. I'm here because I'm concerned you going out on a limb based on one source... it's "everything Dr. Breggin". That's is very dangerous to put all your eggs in one basket. Also with you being such an avid fan you might influence someone here to make a very poor and dangerous decision... legally exposing this board and yourself for that matter.

Dr. Breggin could literally kill people with this "leap of faith" which it really is. Again never just trust one source. Do you actually work for him or an organization that aligns itself with this Doctor?. The reason I ask is this is a common method of promotion.

You strongly implied that I should go off my meds and find some "root" cause.  Can you find the "root" of the common cold? No. There is no common root for certain mental conditions, the human body is a complex machine and to suggest that it's so simple to find a miracle is just dangerous.

Please take care of yourself  :) And don't hurt yourself or other people here.

[78...]

mrtmeo,

Hi Anon,

I sure hope I read this wrong.

You weren't criticizing mr, right? Because he is a noble man who is helping his dear mother with a VERY difficult taper, and he knows a HECK of a lot. Hard-earned experience.

By the way, imo the HuffPo is a rag. If they're against him, I'd trust him all the more.

That's just my opinion, of course.

Hi Snowstorm,

I know you don't believe the Huffpo to be a credible source but, here is the other side of the coin. We are entering dangerous waters telling people to stop their meds.. This is not my opinion. It's a fact.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2002/09/13/what-makes-expert-expert.html

etown: Thanks for the reply about a liver flush. I hope all is well with you today. :thumbsup:

Snowy Snowy: I just made that statement because in one of your earlier posts you said you were leaving. So I took your word on that. But I'm so happy to see you back! You are really an asset to the site! I think Mozart stopped logging into BB on July 4th, when that issue started. I'm so glad that your advice to Moo worked. I suspected it would work from the beginning. Such great advice! Now I have to stock up on it. :)

Mrtmeo:

Thanks for the head's up. I was really asking etown what a liver flush was to be sure I wouldn't take anything to do it. I don't now want any liver flush while I am tapering. I've done 2 C/Ts and that was two too many!

Okatz: My ophthalmologist told both me and mom to take Omega-3 Fish oil for our eyes. But I am using the Nordic Natural Omega-3 and it has done nothing to ruin my taper. I had to look around for a while to find it.

I hope everyone is having a very pleasant day!

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Bets

I am not arguing with you on that big pharma point but there are meds that saves lives and there is no disputing that. I'm here because I'm concerned you going out on a limb based on one source... it's "everything Dr. Breggin". That's is very dangerous to put all your eggs in one basket. Also with you being such an avid fan you might influence someone here to make a very poor and dangerous decision... legally exposing this board and yourself for that matter.

Dr. Breggin could literally kill people with this "leap of faith" which it really is. Again never just trust one source. Do you actually work for him or an organization that aligns itself with this Doctor?. The reason I ask is this is a common method of promotion.

You strongly implied that I should go off my meds and find some "root" cause.  Can you find the "root" of the common cold? No. There is no common root for certain mental conditions, the human body is a complex machine and to suggest that it's so simple to find a miracle is just dangerous.

Meo has been here for quite some time.... And has helped a lot of people here from the very start.

Peronsally I find the "or should we call you doctor " and " are you just good at cut and paste " quite offensive to starts addressing someone with.

There are so many people here that have been hurt by psych meds, and it's a blessing someone takes the time to let us know about their own research and experiments with natural remedies .

After all, it's a peer support forum, so it's all more than welcome.

I think both sides of the coin are " leaps of faith" in that matter. How does a psych doc know what will work for you and how it will affect you. Totally impossible to tell. It's just a bit of a more educated guess to see if it works in many cases.

I sure don't want to expose my own brain to that, personally .

Yes, there is a place for  benzos in the medical field.a me some people are indeed helped by other medications. I just don't think Meo is going out on a limb based on one source. Pretty sure his extensive reaso arch wasn't based on one book.. ::)

Nobody is exposing themselves or this board here, I don't think. We are sharing our opinions.

It works both ways indeed .

Meo has been here for quite some time.... And has helped a lot of people here from the very start.

Peronsally I find the "or should we call you doctor " and " are you just good at cut and paste " quite offensive to starts addressing someone with.

There are so many people here that have been hurt by psych meds, and it's a blessing someone takes the time to let us know about their own research and experiments with natural remedies .

After all, it's a peer support forum, so it's all more than welcome.

I think both sides of the coin are " leaps of faith" in that matter. How does a psych doc know what will work for you and how it will affect you. Totally impossible to tell. It's just a bit of a more educated guess to see if it works in many cases.

I sure don't want to expose my own brain to that, personally .

Yes, there is a place for  benzos in the medical field.a me some people are indeed helped by other medications. I just don't think Meo is going out on a limb based on one source. Pretty sure his extensive reaso arch wasn't based on one book.. ::)

Nobody is exposing themselves or this board here, I don't think. We are sharing our opinions.

It works both ways indeed .

:thumbsup:

;D

Hey all.

Just a quick update and read through as I'm too busy emptying out my moms fridge...

Better than yesterday. Throat seems much better. Slept over 5 hours which is always a win.

And went to see my brother today. I also did groceries and my best friend is coming over for dinner.

This is quite the busy day for me. But I think I'm doing ok...!

How you'll all have a good day today. Thinking of you and reading through some posts.

Keep on going, folks! :smitten:

Moo,

This is wonderful moo.

How I wish I could have tagged along,  :)

I think you are doing better than ok.....

Family and friends. .....makes me smile for you...... :smitten:

Hugs.

❤️  Rosy

Anon,

No one here including me has advised anyone to go off their meds.

You are trying to cause trouble.

Please do not continue with this line of taking things out of context.

This is one of the best and safest places for people to come and get the missing support for their psych med withdrawal.

If you continue to falsely acuse, I will report you.

I'm needing some tapering advice.

I am currently at 16.5 mg Valium (diazepam) and .16 Ativan (liquid compound lorazepam). I've been microtapering the Ativan, every other night, at a rate that comes to .02 mg. per week. (Should finish up in eight more weeks.) Then I plan to cut the Valium. I dose the Ativan and most Valium at 8:30 p.m., then some more Valium at 1 a.m. I am usually anxious starting at 4 am when the Ativan wears off, but after four hours, become very tired and lethargic.

The rest of the day, I can hardly get out of bed. I know lethargy is a wd symptom, but I feel like I did when I was trying to spread out my Valium dose from just nighttime to night and day. I couldn't do it - the Valium was too sedating and depressing.

So am I overloaded on Valium now? (I've cut the Ativan from .25 mg. starting June 4 down to .16 now.) I want to get rid of this groggy, sleepy daytime feeling.

Should I start cutting both Valium and Ativan? Since the Valium cuts won't show up immediately, I don't know how well this will work until a week or so has passed.

Should I cut Ativan faster? I hate the morning anxiety (and sometimes insomnia) that comes when I cut the Ativan. I don't look forward to cutting it faster.

Should I take a break from cutting Ativan and cut some Valium? Again, since Valium takes a while to show up in your system, I won't know the results immediately.

Or should I keep on going as I am, getting groggier and sleepier every day?

I'm sure my family practice doctor won't know - she doesn't know much about Ativan because she has never prescribed it - she's always known it was bad news. She is trying to help me, but relying a lot on what I suggest. I don't want to go to a pdoc again - they just want to give me MORE drugs. So I'm relying on my benzo buddies for suggestions.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

-MirandaJane

[78...]

Anon,

This is one of the best and safest places for people to come and get the missing support for their psych med withdrawal.

"Hi Anon,

I would rather figure out what organ dysfunction is causing my symptoms than treat the symptoms."

I'm needing some tapering advice.

I am currently at 16.5 mg Valium (diazepam) and .16 Ativan (liquid compound lorazepam). I've been microtapering the Ativan, every other night, at a rate that comes to .02 mg. per week. (Should finish up in eight more weeks.) Then I plan to cut the Valium. I dose the Ativan and most Valium at 8:30 p.m., then some more Valium at 1 a.m. I am usually anxious starting at 4 am when the Ativan wears off, but after four hours, become very tired and lethargic.

The rest of the day, I can hardly get out of bed. I know lethargy is a wd symptom, but I feel like I did when I was trying to spread out my Valium dose from just nighttime to night and day. I couldn't do it - the Valium was too sedating and depressing.

So am I overloaded on Valium now? (I've cut the Ativan from .25 mg. starting June 4 down to .16 now.) I want to get rid of this groggy, sleepy daytime feeling.

Should I start cutting both Valium and Ativan? Since the Valium cuts won't show up immediately, I don't know how well this will work until a week or so has passed.

Should I cut Ativan faster? I hate the morning anxiety (and sometimes insomnia) that comes when I cut the Ativan. I don't look forward to cutting it faster.

Should I take a break from cutting Ativan and cut some Valium? Again, since Valium takes a while to show up in your system, I won't know the results immediately.

Or should I keep on going as I am, getting groggier and sleepier every day?

I'm sure my family practice doctor won't know - she doesn't know much about Ativan because she has never prescribed it - she's always known it was bad news. She is trying to help me, but relying a lot on what I suggest. I don't want to go to a pdoc again - they just want to give me MORE drugs. So I'm relying on my benzo buddies for suggestions.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

-MirandaJane

Hey,

I was wondering : did you cross over to Valium or did you take both at the same time for a while ?

If you recently started Valium that could explain  the sedation.

So, you are saying you feel less sedated when you take your Valium at once ?

I would get off the Ativan first. imo being on two benzos probably doesn't make things easier for your brain and body.

For what it's worth : I felt less and less sedated when I got below 10 mgr.

so maybe it's one of those " ride it out " symptoms ...

Hi:

I wouldn't suggest cutting two benzos at the same time. You're so close to being off Ativan you might as well stick with that. You can speed up your cut if you feel fine, but it seems you become lethargic and very tired~~w/d fatigue. I have the same so I chose to hold for more days of my micro taper off K. I don't like fatigue A T  A L L.

Bets

Anon,

"Hi Anon,

I would rather figure out what organ dysfunction is causing my symptoms than treat the symptoms."

Would you knock it off please ? Maybe take your posts to the " other medication " board or something.

We are a support group here and like to keep it that way.

Thanks