Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Fast vs Medium vs Sloooowww

[So...]

Hey, it would be nice to see some stories from everyone on your taper rates, how it felt, and what you would do different.

I know that Bart did a loooong taper, and is doing well.

Are there ant others that did a faster taper and was happier doing it that way.

Please help the rest of us that are just beginning!!  :)

Denise  :smitten:

It would also be nice to see what mistakes should be avoided, and regrets of crossing over, or not crossing over, to a different benzo.

Thanks,

Denise

Sophie,

As of Dec. 1 I am trying to stabilize at 1 mg Ativan every 24 hours. I don't know how long I'll stay at that till I start to taper. I used Ativan for 8 years but not every day, and when i realized I was addicted I as devastated. I've been going to NA meetings which help I also take 50 Mg's of tramadol a day split into two doses of 25 .I take the A at midnight, six am, noon and six pm. I've had some breakthrough anxiety but not what I' call full blown withdrawal, which I am dreading, obs. My doctor so far i not really involved, but some of the NA people are pretty knowledgeable and supportive. I know I can do this. I have problems with depression and the Dr wanted me to go on Cymbalta but I'm not going on another AD ever. Went off Abilify  CT after  months earlier this year.

HTH,

Joy

I did a medium taper in my opinion. Came down from 1 mg K over 3 months in 0.25 mg increments.

In hindsight, the initial taper rate was fine, but I should have slowed at the end. I jumped from 0.25, which was too high. Perhaps if I had gone lower I wouldn't be in w/d. Perhaps things would have turned out the same. There is no way of knowing....

Thanks for sharing!!

Joy, I am about to start my tapering from ativan as well. I hope we both do well!

----

Svenhoak, hindsight is 20/20. And, sad to say, we don't know how things would have turned out if we had done them differently.

But, this is why we have this supportive board, to help ourselves, as well as others.

I wish now that I would not have reinstated. I think it was a big mistake. So, our stories can maybe help others not make the same mistakes.

Again, thank you for sharing. Hopefully we will here from a lot more people!

I did a medium taper for me, which means that for my body type and sensitivity to these drugs which is severe. I took six months to come off a low dose of C that I was taking three times a week. At times I wish I had gone faster and at times slower. I have no idea if what I did was best for me or not. I don't think any of us knows that until it's all over with and even then who can say? It's a crapshoot.

I really don't like categorising tapers as fast, medium or slow. You need to taper whatever way is best for your body. No one will ever do the perfect taper, because we have to work it out as we go along, and we will all make mistakes. That's how you learn the best way to taper for your body.

I have taken my time with my taper, but I don't regard it as slow because I know I couldn't have done it any faster. In fact any time I've tried to speed things up I've always ended up doing a face plant.

My one and only piece advice for anyone starting out is exactly what I have in my signature below .......

RESPECT THE BENZO - "THE HURRIER I GO, THE BEHINDER I GET " - Lewis Carroll

I think the best speed to taper at is that which gives you a level of symptoms you are willing to endure.  It will vary a lot among individuals. It doesn't have to be all that complicated. IMO, our healing rates are fairly constant and not influenced much by the taper rate unless it is way too fast and causes glutamate excitotoxicity.

Bump.

This is such good info for people just starting to think about tapering. And, will help them understand more about the process and what can happen with a rapid vs slow taper.

Keep the stories coming.