Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Freaking out.

[Cr...]

So I did a stupid thing today. I was at the grocery store and saw the blood pressure machine. I was already anxious (heart flutters, general anxiety) but decided to do it anyway. As I put my arm in the cuff I felt the derealization start...my blood pressure was 140/80 which is considered "high risk " as per the machine. In August I was in the ER normal blood pressure...I had a medical procedure done in September normal BP.  I have never had high blood pressure not even with my pregnancies. Should I be freaking out? Has anyone experienced high blood pressure? Somedays I feel like Coming off this drug is killing me.

Now afraid  I am having a heart attack. I have been in an awful state of anxiety since Thanksgiving.

Hi:

I wouldn't been freaking out about your BP results. By and large, it's OK. Its when you get up to 180/120 that you really have to worry. Don't freak out just yet. From what I read here on BB, some, but not all, members experience high BP and some take a beta blocker such as inderal to keep it regular.

Not all experience high BP and i think if I am correct and I may not be, is that the high BP comes when your taper starts getting low. I did not read your sig or don't know if you have one so i can't tell where you're at in terms of tapering. Once again, you're not gonna have a heart attack and worrying for no reason will just set you up for more anxiety and fear. if you really feel the need to, go see your doctor. You can also buy a home BP machine at the pharmacy and take it every morning. That's what a lot of BB members do, to keep track of it. Not to worry. Benzogirl

So I did a stupid thing today. I was at the grocery store and saw the blood pressure machine. I was already anxious (heart flutters, general anxiety) but decided to do it anyway. As I put my arm in the cuff I felt the derealization start...my blood pressure was 140/80 which is considered "high risk " as per the machine. In August I was in the ER normal blood pressure...I had a medical procedure done in September normal BP.  I have never had high blood pressure not even with my pregnancies. Should I be freaking out? Has anyone experienced high blood pressure? Somedays I feel like Coming off this drug is killing me.

Now afraid  I am having a heart attack. I have been in an awful state of anxiety since Thanksgiving.

No need to freak out!

My Cardiologist told me it is normal for our blood pressure to fluctuate.  He said he would worry if mine did not fluctuate. I asked him if a spot reading of 145/95 was high and he just laughed at me. If that were the lowest reading I had ever seen then it could be a problem. But mine fluctuates between 114/70 and 145/95. Go for a little jog and see what it does. With the walking around and cart pushing at the grocery store you were just getting exercise.

Try to tun off the worry machine. Sometimes I think the worry machine is a greater problem for us than benzos.

I never checked my blood pressure like that before, I don't know why I did it. My health has become my obsession since the taper. I have been in an almost constant state of anxiety for 5 days. I need to calm down I'm just so worked up with finals.

Hi...can't write much, not a good day. Wanted to let you know that some of the store BP machines are not correct. Kids play with them and they are not calibrated on a timely schedule.

Your cut of 50% is very high. Have you thought about cutting less?

Also, blood pressure fluctuates all day. You would have to take several readings to see the norm. When you are nervous or panicking, it will go up, so that level is during panic.

Unfortunately my cuts have all been drastic.  My initial cut of 2.5mg down to 1mg (under doctors orders) has put me in awful withdrawals. I found the 1-1.5 mg gave me no relief. If anything my panic, derealization, obsessions were unbearable. Now at .5mg I do feel better and all the symptoms are less intense. I have had a really bad couple of days. I'm hoping it passes soon. 

Thank you all for the reassurance I feel much better.

Crazi,

Be calm. Your BP is not dangerously high. The problem with benzos is that they make us nuts. Paranoid. We think we have some awful illness when it is the benzos talking. When I am sick I have such crazed anxiety. I have never been like this. I convince myself that the world is coming to an end. It is the benzo beast. I keep telling myself that I have learned this. I know this. I may wake up tomorrow and think the government is after me. Take a deep breath and try to relax. I hope you are feeling better. hang in there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Benzo's really stress the adrenals.

My mom's bp has never been high all her life, but while tapering, it has gone as high as 150/90, but it doesn't stay this high very long.

Now, that she is at a much lower dose, it has been normal.

They say u should always take your bp three times and use the lowest of the three.

My mom's is always lower in the mornings and higher at night.

Thank you all so much. I appreciate it. I have never been  crazed about illness or my health. During this taper it is all I think about. Every little ache or pain (there are a lot during this process) scare me.

Think about this, an "ideal" BP is 120/60, so yours was 140/80, only slightly high but very normal as the diff between systolic and diastolic is quite ideal. When it goes back to normal it you should have that ideal reading.

I had that exact same reading as you once I went to A&E and I said to the doc that it was high, he laughed and told me it was perfectly fine.

You also need to think if you were feeling anxious, this would elevate you BP, no question.