Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Passing out in shower....

[Pi...]

It's back. That feeling like I'm going to pass out in the shower. I had it early on in my taper.also I remember when I was in tolerance it happened then too.

I've had a really raggy couple of wks. Either from benzo w/ds or Effexor . I am not sure. But I got into the shower and I couldn't breathe. I had terrible pins and needles running down my arms and legs. My head felt like it was going to burst. Needless to say I cut the shower short!

Anyone else have this happen to them? It's a horrible feeling thats for sure!

Well it was strange coming across this Pinkee!

I sometimes avoid the shower this exact reason. I have dealt with it on and off for years... In my case it's a result of Panic Disorder.

The way it plays out for me now is I get in the shower feeling withdrawal sick and I start to have images in my head, one of which is the fact if I pass out I'll be naked and it would be embarrassing to be found passed out naked. I know it sounds odd  :P Needless to say I sometimes cut showers short as well. Other times I'll perposely expose my self to the shower and not come out until the anxiety is gone.. This is a form of exposure therapy. 

Any of that sound familiar ??  Before I knew I had Panic Disorder I thought I was just "going nuts".

Fonz

Well now u have put that image in my mind Fonz I am sure I will panic next time I am in the shower!lol....... :D I never even thought about being found in there. Great!

Seriously though , I enjoy a shower. It never happen ended before benzos. I know it's related because it's something that only happens when I'm in a wave.

No body else?  Well thx for answering  Fonz!    Big hugs to u Pinkee

:) thanks, i didnt mean to worry you haha...  :P  Benzo's make our nervous systems all weird so many of us are bound to think and fear odd things.. some of these fears may be in our subconcious mind which leaves us questioning why we are so nervous.

Anyhow, its been 10 years of off and on anxiety and the shower has yet to eat me ;) I think we are safe!

Exactly Nathan! I'm the same, of the hundreds and thousands of times I feared heart failure/passing out/seizure etc it's never happened. Therapy taught me the skills to overcome these fears. I have done hundreds of thought records and they all have one thing in comon, "jumping to conclusions".

Hopefully more people can chime in for Pinkee!  :)

Pinkee I never had that happen to me but I am so sorry it happened for you. You have been so unwell for so long. Why is this happening? Do you think it's the Effexor?

I am sending YOU a big hug. That's all I can do.

Okatz

Thankyou so much Katz. That is a lovely hug!  Fonz and Nathan.... It's true that we do have all sorts of fears and phobias in benzo land.

I am sure it's related to w/ds from something, and as it's happened thru the tapering of Valium I don't know now if it's Effexor or V...? So anyway , maybe a bath for me for a while.

It's a bit harder to breathe in the shower because of the high humidity. Open a window, turn the fan on before you get in, keep the door open, or shower in lukewarm water.

That's true Fruss! I just had a shower then and I put only lukewarm water on and it was much better . I still felt off but nowhere near what it was.   

Dead end , sorry that happened. At least u weren't naked....lol.

Lol, not that time. About 2 months ago, however, I did some stupid shit (won't go into detail..), blacked out, and woke up to my fiance slapping me in the face and pooring water over my head. She got me in the shower wearing my clothes and as i stumbled back into the room, the door wide open, I proceeded to strip but naked in front of her and 3 other bystanders.