Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Beware of the Pho!

[Ma...]

Planned a nice evening with my daughter last night and we went out to this cozy little Vietnamese restaurant that serves one of our favorite, and seemingly healthy, soups: pho (pronounced FUH).

It us a clear vegetable broth with rice noodles and tons of veggies with a little tofu for protein.

This morning I woke up feeling unusually dizzy (I always feel dizzy) but UNUSUALLY dizzy, foggy-brained and like i had super low blood sugar.  Made some Eggbeaters, always a nice safe breakfast full of protein, and took a bite, and, well, how shall I say this nicely.....PUKED.

That was so freaking weird.  I couldn't figure out what was going on.  I didn't have to do it again, but I felt crummy all day: jittery, cog-fog, nausea, hungry, confused, sinuses congested badly, hands tingly and numb. 

IT was the M.S.G. !!!!!!!!L

Duh!  I know to stay away from excess glutamates, and especially from monosodium glutamate, but it completely slipped my mind that they always put it in soups, especially Asian soup.  So, I am living proof that THAT is the troof!

The only counter to the MSG apparently is drinking loads of water and letting time pass.

Oh, my lovely friend, I am so sorry that happened.

I read that drinking cream of tartar, after eating msg, will help balance things out and reduce the yucky storm it kicks up.

Hope you feel better soon!!

Love and hugs!!

Denise  :smitten:

Oh, my lovely friend, I am so sorry that happened.

I read that drinking cream of tartar, after eating msg, will help balance things out and reduce the yucky storm it kicks up.

Hope you feel better soon!!

Love and hugs!!

How does one drink cream of tartar?  I have some in powder form...it's kept in the spice area of my kitchen, right?  What do I do with it?  And why does it work?

Ok, figured it out via research... 1/2 tsp. dissolved in an 8 oz. glass of water.  I tried it just now, so...we'll seeeeeeee.........

I have heard it works better if taken shortly after eating the msg. I have also heard taking L-Theanine will also help. It is a supplement.

Hello Mama S,

I get the same results with MSG,  now when I go out to eat at Asian Restaurants, I always ask about the MSG, and if they Cook with it, I ask them to keep it out if the can. If not, I go somewhere else. I went out to eat at a Restaurant when I started to W/D, didn't realize that they put MSG in the food, and lets put it this way, it was a learning experience. It kept me up all night, made me drink about a gallon of water and the symptoms just came on like a lion.  :tickedoff:  So I do know what you went threw. 

Hope you are feeling better today.

Godspeed to you,    :smitten:  :thumbsup:

Rocket

We have a restaurant that opened in the mall and I LOVE their Pho.  With that said, MSG does not love me.  Taurine is supposed to work and it has indeed helped me when I take it (also decent for anxiety sometimes).

Many readers will be thrilled to discover that there is an effective, all-natural antidote for MSG poisoning called taurine. It is an amino acid that is naturally produced by the human body. Also known as L-taurine, it is found in proteins, and it is added to many energy drinks, due to its stimulating effect. Taurine supplement capsules can be found in health food stores, and they should be kept ready for MSG or heart emergencies. It effectively neutralizes MSG and it helps to regulate the pulse. The earlier that it is taken during a time of exposure to MSG, the better that it works to neutralize the MSG. If at all possible, it is best to take taurine just before MSG consumption, but please note that we would never recommend the consumption of MSG, even when there is taurine available to neutralize it. Conversely, MSG neutralizes the taurine already present in the body, which is largely its method of causing heart attacks.

Hello Mama S,

I get the same results with MSG,  now when I go out to eat at Asian Restaurants, I always ask about the MSG, and if they Cook with it, I ask them to keep it out if the can. If not, I go somewhere else. I went out to eat at a Restaurant when I started to W/D, didn't realize that they put MSG in the food, and lets put it this way, it was a learning experience. It kept me up all night, made me drink about a gallon of water and the symptoms just came on like a lion.  :tickedoff:  So I do know what you went threw. 

Hope you are feeling better today.

Godspeed to you,    :smitten:  :thumbsup:

Rocket

We have a restaurant that opened in the mall and I LOVE their Pho.  With that said, MSG does not love me.  Taurine is supposed to work and it has indeed helped me when I take it (also decent for anxiety sometimes).

Many readers will be thrilled to discover that there is an effective, all-natural antidote for MSG poisoning called taurine. It is an amino acid that is naturally produced by the human body. Also known as L-taurine, it is found in proteins, and it is added to many energy drinks, due to its stimulating effect. Taurine supplement capsules can be found in health food stores, and they should be kept ready for MSG or heart emergencies. It effectively neutralizes MSG and it helps to regulate the pulse. The earlier that it is taken during a time of exposure to MSG, the better that it works to neutralize the MSG. If at all possible, it is best to take taurine just before MSG consumption, but please note that we would never recommend the consumption of MSG, even when there is taurine available to neutralize it. Conversely, MSG neutralizes the taurine already present in the body, which is largely its method of causing heart attacks.

Thanks friends!  I did try to cream of tartar and have been taking a glass every day since.  I really have to just stay away from MSG as much as possible....and from what I hear, it's nearly impossible to eat Asian food without there being MSG in it, that it's kind of a standard ingredient, so I'm ok with staying away from it.

I am going to get some taurine and keep it in the house.  Thanks for the advice.....with all the hidden MSG in food, I'll be sure to use it.  I made homemade nachos last night and I think the beans and chips are hih in glutamates, so wish I had it today!  Another glass of tartar coming up!