Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Cant get warm. Shaking all over. Does anybody else have this plus........

[os...]

Stomach problems??  My stomach is a mess for the last 3 weeks.  I just got back from the ER.  I cant get warm and all my muscles are shivering, especially the stomach.  It feels like the most nervous stomach imaginable with bloating.  Is this withdrawal?  I cant stop shivering.  This is awful.  It gets worse when i try to type or do heaving thinking.  God bless you all for any replies.  I have so many other health problems in addition to the withdrawal i dont know what it what anymore. 

Hi Osu,  What's your Ativan dose at right now??  Can help you if we do not know how you have been tapering, not enough info to help you.  Do tell.

:smitten:

It sounds to me like bad anxiety. Is that how you feel? Overpreoccupied, uneasy, etc. You know all the usual anxiety sxs. I've realized that during taper I've suffered different ways of being anxious, from a mix of anxiety and depression to anxiety and euphoria.

I've felt anxious in a way that I felt tremor in my chest/stomach area and definitely cold extremities while in bed for example tat I had to wear an extra layer and still struggled to warm up, something I'd never felt before. Then it passed, it was after a cut so I'm pretty certain that it was w/d sxs.

Yes it feels like anxiety, but i cant stop it.  It gets worse just from washing my hands with cold water.  I dont have it when i first wake up in the morning but within a few minutes it all kicks in.  I have tapered very slow but it kind of started when i went from .5 to .25mg of ativan

Hey osu,

I had this in ct. I couldn't get warm and Iwould shiver like crazy, all my muscles would bounce uncontrollably. It does sound like wd to me. The only thing the er did for me was give me ativan which put me in the situation Iam in now

I had this too.  Our thermoregulators in our bodies are out of balance and it's not just from anxiety from these benzo's.  I had cold feet for a long time and internal chilliness and shivering.  It gets better as time goes on.  I would sit on top of my heating vents for months trying to warm up and then have sweating fits, especially in the summer. 

Osu--my bad symptoms always hit like that, my stomach tenses/bloats up and I feel ice cold, completely unable to get warm. I can always tell when they're coming back due to the sudden feeling like I'm freezing.

Hey, do you find any connection to the anxiety from your throat issue? Obviously, I'm not in any way injured like you are, but I do notice that if I start back-sliding physically, it brings on REALLY bad w/d symptoms. Very strange. Just wondering if it's the same for you. W/d is bad, and injury is bad. Together, they barely seem doable. You?

I did that for a couple of weeks,, at first just my feet were cold at night, like freezing cold, no amount of socks and blankets helped,

then it was feet and legs, and so on, til it was my whole body,,

a couple of times I shook so bad I thought it must be the beginning of a seizure, but that never happened..

now, Im hot all the time, so hot I cant breath well, even with the windows open and the fan going at night, 30 dgrees outside,,,,,

Benzy,  thanks for the reply.  Ive been cold every since i took the first ativan.  I never sweat all summer long.  I never used to be cold.  I lived in Maine for 20 years.  Why did they put you on a benzo for the heart problem?

What did they do for you in the ER?

Did you have a temperature.?  Did they run blood cultures to rule out sepsis (blood infection). The reason I ask is because you do have other medical issues from what I read from your signature. If the ER definantly ruled out a physiological cause for your shaking then and only then should you consider withdrawal from ativan as the cause.

Just saying

Allen,    dont have a fever and the blood work was perfect.  Yes, you have a good point that i didnt think of.  Ive never shook like this in my life unless i had a fever.  Must be withdrawal.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Osu, I'm so sorry, you've been just slammed with physical symptoms from the beginning...you are halfway through your taper, that's wonderful. Your body will sort itself out in time 

:smitten:

because I have several heart arrhythmias, and they went beserk about 2 years ago, really bad, and it causes extreme anxiety at that point, which feeds the arrhythmias, which feeds the anxiety , etc....

so they gave me xanax, and just left me on it a year

it worked in the long run, I guess, my heart settled down finally, but now Im here tapering!

because I have several heart arrhythmias, and they went beserk about 2 years ago, really bad, and it causes extreme anxiety at that point, which feeds the arrhythmias, which feeds the anxiety , etc....

so they gave me xanax, and just left me on it a year

it worked in the long run, I guess, my heart settled down finally, but now Im here tapering!

I would have thought they would prescribe beta blockers for arrhythmias. These doctors have prescribed benzos for pretty much any symptom/ illness

Benzy, there are some people who swear by beta blockers easing anxiety, I've heard a psychologist say this.

So, they didn't work this way for you?

Your not alone. I have had the same issues. My neuro doc stated that uncontrollable shivering/shaking 'is' a type of seizure. I cant wear enough clothing to get warm during these severe w/d symptoms. He stated my metabolism slows down way too much during severe w/d. (breathing slows) I must exercise or increase dose to stop shaking.  Tried getting in bed with hooded sweat shirt/pants and 6 blankets and still shook..did some exercises(just squats with arm movements) and it stopped. Just my experience-best wishes to all

no, they didnt work on the anxiety for me, maybe because I was clueless about what was going on, and i was on a high dose of beta-blocker at the time, I had a very stressful 4 years previous to the h### breaking loose, so I had a good bit of a bomb saved up...

during my tapering however, I can tell they work pretty good on the anxiety for that...

plus, somewhere in there I just gave up the fight, thats when the major anxiety left (from the heart issues), so that made a difference...

this year, since my heart issues have settled, I can tell the beta blockers make a difference and help with anxiety, at the time of my heart problem, as wild as it was, very little helped..

since thats over, now if I feel anxiety coming on its usually in the evening right before my xanax dose, so I'll take the metoprolol a little earlier and it does knock the anxiety out for me....

What did they do for you in the ER?

Did you have a temperature.?  Did they run blood cultures to rule out sepsis (blood infection). The reason I ask is because you do have other medical issues from what I read from your signature. If the ER definantly ruled out a physiological cause for your shaking then and only then should you consider withdrawal from ativan as the cause.

Just saying

Very true Allen :thumbsup:

Yes it feels like anxiety, but i cant stop it.  It gets worse just from washing my hands with cold water.  I dont have it when i first wake up in the morning but within a few minutes it all kicks in.  I have tapered very slow but it kind of started when i went from .5 to .25mg of ativan

Osu, that's a 50% cut.  OUCH! that's w/d all right.  I never go over 10% and that's only after a long hold.  Are you down to .25mg now?  That's great but don't rush it as it just unnecessary pain and shocking your CNS can make healing drag out longer.  Taping slow is so easy, I'm not finding it that bad at all.

Birdman,

Clonodine eases anxiety? I have been on it since day 1 and I get slammed with anxiety. I was told that it eases w/d and BP spikes. Maybe I have become used to it. I take 1 in a.m. and 1 in p.m. maybe it would be worse if I was not on it? Hard to imagine. :tickedoff:

Colorado,

It sounds obvious but what works for an individual may not work for another. It depends on many factors e.g type of benzo you're coming off, level of tolerance on that benzo, also things like age, general health, other drugs, life style, and so on.

Unfortunately there are no infallible solutions on this benzo w/d ordeal.

osu,

i had this only one time when i was about 6 months out from the c/t. i think the never ending shivering and being cold is related to stomach issues and metabolism. when the gut isn't right and out of balance it relates to the body in a never ending shiver. i remember i had this for some days and i couldn't get warm no matter what i did. every single muscle and cell inside of me was a shivering quivering mess. it was also when i may have had some food poisoning or at least that's what it felt like.

when my tummy normalized, all of this went away. did you make a cut in your taper recently? sorry, i didn't read through the whole thread yet. if you drink just a tiny little bit of some apple cider vinegar in warm water that will help the shivering and your stomach.

Colorado,

clonidine can help with anxiety sometimes. they use to give it out to me when i c/t'd benzo's and opiates at the same time. detox's usually gave it to the people coming off the opiates and for their BP.