Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Today's visit with my long time GP- help

[...]

I told my GP which is a cardio/internist what I was going through. He knew bout my c/t but not about me going to a outpatient rehab and reinstated. I also told him I failed the rehab because I thought they tapered me to fast (3 weeks) made to two 1/2 @ 3 mg Val.

I also explained that I'm now part of another rehab but this time I'm with a psych detox dr and he's taking his time. I'm currently on 15 mg of Librium. I mentioned to GP that I was concerned about Librium due to capsules and titration.

He told me my problem isn't the benzos , he said I've told you before you had an anxiety disorder and you need to get on an ssri. I explained I never had an anxiety issue until I started interdose withdrawing on lunesta. I knw there is no question why I had to rienstate after 27 days.

I'm just wondering which anti/d should I consider if I decide to go that route. My psych detox guy says to stay on the 7.5 remeron and give it a chance. But if I need an ssri to help get off the last stages of benzo which are the more successful ones? I knw it's trail and error but which is the least potent or easiest to wean off from.? 

Please share your experiences in this dept.

I also have a friend that was on huge doses of Xanax and drinking heavy 5 years plus,he went to a detox facility in a Hosp in south fl and the detoxed him on klon , 10 days he was out the door. No ssri just a beta blocker and depakote. It took him 6 month to get 60%. 2 years now he's 100% no ssri. He never had anxiety before benzos.

But could it have eased the brutality?

Ah geez - how many of us have been there - with the docs saying it ain't the benzos when we (finally) know full well it is. I am so sorry! I found this just a couple of days back - maybe it would help to have your doc read this, well, and of course the Ashton Manual which is pretty much the benzo bible, so to speak. Anywho - here is the other link for you, if you so choose.

https://benzowithdrawalsyndrome.wordpress.com/tag/between-doses/

Best of luck, we'll all be thinking about you!

Cheers,

SnapDragon

Yes, the psych docs are fond of telling us we have an anxiety disorder, I never had a "disorder" before benzos. I was always a little anxious, but that's part of life, and part of my personality. It was never disabling until  I started WITHDRAWING from benzos.

The only a/d I know of that will (supposedly) help with anxiety is Lexapro and it's my doc's favorite suggestion. She just knows I'll crumble and beg for a prescription. But I won't.

My attitude is why add another freaking drug to the mess my brain is in. Especially one that will have to be titrated off. I do not subscribe to the biochemical model of depression (which is what a/ds supposedly "fix"). Yes I am depressed from time to time, and have been all my life. But it's not because there is something chemically wrong with my brain i.e. it lacks serotonin. I have made peace with my depression -- it, too, is part of me.

If you are anxious or depressed, I think you need to talk to someone about WHY you are anxious or depressed. But that's just my opinion. Having tried just about all the a/ds out there over the years, except Lexapro, and having had none of them help me, I would never try anything else.

I don't know if this has helped you or not. My therapist has helped me way more than any of the damned drugs ever did.  I'm going to tough this benzo withdrawal out, without taking another pill. For so many of us, taking pills is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Sorry to go on about this. But it's something I feel strongly about. I hate to see buddies going down the path of yet another pill.

You will do what's best for you. I hope you are well, and wish you every good thing.

Sending healing thoughts.

Okatz

Yes, the psych docs are fond of telling us we have an anxiety disorder, I never had a "disorder" before benzos. I was always a little anxious, but that's part of life, and part of my personality. It was never disabling until  started WITHDRAWING from benzos.

The only a/d I know of that will (supposedly) help with anxiety is Lexapro and it's my doc's favorite suggestion. She just knows I'll crumble and beg for a prescription. But I won't.

My attitude is why add another freaking drug to the mess my brain is in. Especially one that will have to be titrated off. I do not subscribe to the biochemical model of depression (which is what a/ds supposedly "fix"). Yes I am depressed from time to time, and have been all my life. But it's not because there is something chemically wrong with my brain i.e. it lacks serotonin. I have made peace with my depression -- it, too, is part of me.

If you are anxious or depressed, I think you need to talk to someone about WHY you are anxious or depressed. But that's just my opinion. Having tried just about all the a/ds out there over the years, except Lexapro, and having had none of them help me, I would never try anything else.

I don't know if this has helped you or not. My therapist has helped me way more than any of the damned drugs ever did.  I'm going to tough this benzo withdrawal out, without taking another pill. For so many of us, taking pills is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Sorry to go on about this. But it's something I feel strongly about. I hate to see buddies going down the path of yet another pill.

You will do what's best for you. I hope you are well, and wish you every good thing.

Sending healing thoughts.

Okatz

Very wise words oregonkatz; I share your sentiment and have experienced exactly that: tools my therapist gave me to deal with my problems were far more effective (and less dangerous), then the meds these M.D.s prescribed. If only I had gone to a therapist BEFORE going to an MD I would not have suffered this benzo hell, that all too many of us know here.  :oXo: