Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Jumping Early

[Ko...]

I have tapered to 1mg.  Side effects are not helped by Valium doses now.  I think I should just stop now rather than suffer down to zero.  Did anybody else do this?

Korbe

I took about 30 mg. of Valium for 13+ years, and 2-4 mg. of Xanax for two years prior to that. I began a fast taper on the Valium last January and by late May I'd gone from 30 mg. to 5 mg. I should have gone lower but I was sick of being sick, so I jumped c/t from 5 mg. I was in hell for 6-7 weeks and then it began to get better. By 4 months out, I was past the worst of it.

From 4-6 months I was in a kind of "emotional plateau," where not much changed. I think it was because my mind and body were exhausted from the first four months and needed a couple of months "off" to recharge. Since hitting six months, things have quickly gotten much better!

Yesterday I had a truly "normal" day. It was the best day I've had since jumping c/t. In fact, it was probably the best day I've had since I began taking benzos in September 1997! Today is still good, although I did a LOT of yardwork yesterday and my body is really tired. My brain, though, is clear.

If you are determined to not let benzos control your life any longer and you feel comfortable jumping off of 1 mg. of Valium, then you should go for it. It's just one-fifth of what I was taking when I jumped, so you may not have the  6-7 weeks of hell that I had to endure... Even though as bad as I felt, I was also feeling good because I no longer had benzos in my system... So, 1 mg. is a pretty small dose. Keep us posted -- and good luck!

P.S. If you do jump, you might want to post under "Withdrawal Support," since this section is primarily for those of us who are in the "post-withdrawal" phase (the first 4 months, plus or minus) and are in varying stages of recovery...

Korbe, I jumped (or rather, fell) off 1 mg just over a week ago.  The symptoms have been bad, but no worse than any other time I reduced my dose.  Except now I'm totally free of the drug. 

Why not try it and see how it goes?  I told myself I could dose every other day if necessary...but I haven't needed to.

Thanks for the positive replies.  You both gave me the motivation to jump today.  I took my last dose of 1mg at 5am this morning.  I feel a huge sense of relief now that I made up my mind.  No more poison going into my brain! Can't wait to heal.

Thanks again for your support,

Korbe

The way you feel when you jump is the way you will feel for many MANY months to come. You will know at about two weeks off as it peaks.  I think its better to taper too at least .25mg before jumping.

Update:  24 hrs since final dose.  S/x no different.  Actually slept a little better.  So glad I jumped.

I feel better mentally.  I know the s/x may worsen, but I'm prepared for that because I now have begun to heal.

Korbe

Great job Korbe!  I've had a rough time since quitting (insomnia mostly), but it feels just the same as when I do a dosage cut.  I know it will ease up in another week or so.  Hang in there.

Update day two c/t:  side effects about the same as experienced during taper, mostly burning stinging legs & arms.  Insomnia continues, but able to sleep in 2 hr segments during the day.  New side effects

are lower back aching ( never had this during taper) & a weird mental feeling that I can't explain.  Maybe it's the out of body experience some have talked about.  Also, I feel more anxious and unable to sit still, had a hard time getting my hair cut today.  What a trip this is going to be - not knowing what the next day will bring.  Still glad I'm Benzo free!

I'm going to move my updates  to the Post Taper Support since someone started a thread for newly off taper people.

Korbe