Important Survey - Please Participate ×

I past a milestone

[Sn...]

Hi to all, 

The first week of WD I tried driving from  my son's house home about 15 miles.  I barely made it.  I could hardly breathe and my chest and abdomen were very tight.  My head was so full of pressure I thought it would explode. I could barely focus on the road.  When I finally got home I really thought I was close to death. I vowed to never do it again for a long time.

Well, today, about 3 months later I finally did it.  Still had some sx but it was definitely a lot better.  This trip is full of many very busy streets with many stop and go lites. 

Just telling you guys this so you know there is definitely improvement as time goes on.  I know a lot here struggle with driving and I am still not in the clear yet. but as time goes by we do heal even if it is slowly.

Keep  the faith,

Snufi

Great job Snufi!

I know this a bit different but I once suffered from Agoraphobia and found it impossible to drive to specific destinations as it would bring on Panic Attacks. Anyhow, after months of exposure therapy etc I managed to get to every destination I avoided ;)  So, yeah I kinda know the feeling and it's awesome huh ??  ;D

Keep up the good work!

Fonz

Congratulations!

I know the feeling. At first, when I'd drive it was like I was in a slow-motion haze and I was very anxious about driving. However, the more I did it the easier it became. Now I don't think twice before hopping in my trust 16-year-old Toyota Corolla and going someplace.

I think exposing ourselves to things in the environment gradually desensitizes us and in the long run helps us become more comfortable with "the real world" and also may help us heal faster.