Important Survey - Please Participate ×

A real pickle...and terrifed.

[So...]

I have received wonderful help and advice by so many of you on here. And, I know that ya'll are probably getting sick of me. But, I am in need of your help again.

I know that my situation has never made sense to anyone, since it seems like my issues are just all over the place.

But, here is my story again.

I c/t'd xanax by accident on 8/4/13. After refusing to be put on Klonopin by my Dr for three minths, I finally gave in and started taking it. This was after losing 40 lbs and being very ill.

I didn't think that the Klonopin agreed with me, but that may have been from my fear of being on it.

So my Dr has switched me to 2 mg Ativan, with the understanding that he will not allow me to be on it for more than a few months, unless I drop the dose by 1 mg during that time. So, I either have to do a fairly quick taper of 1 mg of Ativan, or go back on klonopin for a slow taper.

So, what would be the lesser of two evils? I have to have this figured out by Monday.

I have got to stop this jumping around and get settled on one or the other, so I can get started.

Thanks for your help. I would love to hear from both the Ativan and Klonopin people.

Denise  :smitten:

As it happens, I was on Klonopin first and was switched to Ativan a few years later and ended up tapering off Ativan in 2008.  In theory, Klonopin should be easier to taper off of because of it's longer half-life but for me it was harder.  Unfortunately there's no way to know in advance how I would be for you, although based on your past experience with klono, it makes sense to me that you stick with the Ativan.  Tapering off 1 mg in 2 months is certainly doable; I tapered off 3 mg in 6 mo.  ;)

As it happens, I was on Klonopin first and was switched to Ativan a few years later and ended up tapering off Ativan in 2008.  In theory, Klonopin should be easier to taper off of because of it's longer half-life but for me it was harder.  Unfortunately there's no way to know in advance how I would be for you, although based on your past experience with klono, it makes sense to me that you stick with the Ativan.  Tapering off 1 mg in 2 months is certainly doable; I tapered off 3 mg in 6 mo.  ;)

How bad were your symptoms when you tapered the Ativan? I keep seeing on here that people have a really tough time. And stay in i/w most of the time, even when dosing 4 times a day.

The plan for a quicker taper off Ativan might serve you best in the long run. I don't think you want to be on klonopin for a long slow taper, it might do more harm than good since you've only been back on for a few weeks correct?

Either way it's going to get better.  :smitten:

The plan for a quicker taper off Ativan might serve you best in the long run. I don't think you want to be on klonopin for a long slow taper, it might do more harm than good since you've only been back on for a few weeks correct?

I think what worries me is that my CNS is still so sensitive from my c/t, that a rapid taper will fry it even more. This is why I am in a real pickle with all of this, and don't what to do.

I think what worries me is that my CNS is still so sensitive from my c/t, that a rapid taper will fry it even more. This is why I am in a real pickle with all of this, and don't what to do.

Denise, you CAN do this!  Getting "stable" will make a big BIG difference in how your system reacts to ANY kind of taper from any benzo.  One of the things you can do to make that happen is to eliminate sources of glutamates in your diet that upset the neural receptors.  Remember that GABA is calming and glutamates are "excitatory" and irritating to the delicate Central Nervous System. Because benzos downregulated the GABA receptors, glutamate receptors are in a higher than normal proportion, so glutamates in your diet can be quite disturbing to your equilibrium.

We all know about msg, mono sodium glutamate, which is a highly processed and concentrated glutamate. But there are many many other names for processed glutamates in our food supply that use other names. If you go to the Alternative board and look for the thread titled"glutamate links" you will find links to lists and information on this.

Also, there are naturally occurring glutamates in foods. Some foods are much much higher in glutamates than others. That thread also has links to foods hig in natural glutamates. Before our CNS and neural receptors were messed up by benzos, we may not have noticed the excitatory and destabilizing effect these had on us, but if you are having significant problems now, odds are good that even high glutamate foods are giving you problems. I notice from another post of yours elsewhere that you are eating peanut butter and I am sorry to say that peanuts and pumpkin seeds are very high in glutamates. I used to eat a lot of pumpkin seeds for the zinc back when my symptoms were at my worst and my weight kept dropping. My nervous system was very destabilized  and I was a total mess. At 77 pounds when the medical establishment could find no reason for my extreme weight loss, I started researching, and that is when I learned about benzos, neural disregulation, and glutamates. It was only when I began being careful about my diet and glutamates that I began to calm down and started gaining weight and being able to taper without such difficulty.  Now that I am much more stable, I can moderate and tolerate a bit more natural glutamate now and then. For instance, tomatoes are high in glutamate. Fresh tomatoes in a salad won't bother me, but highly condensed tomato like tomato paste and sauces are a big CNS buster for me. I look forward to that being better after my taper is done and my neural receptors are more healed, but for now, I choose stability, freedom from pain, and the ability to keep tapering rather than increasing benzos.

I found that watching my glutamates allowed me to get my " fear factor" in control. And getting that in control is key in stabilizing and being successful in getting off benzos. I have also gained weight since making these changes, even though I had to give up some foods.

I suspect many of the reported "waves" of bad symptoms are not altogether random but connected to being set off by high glutamates.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you success in finding stability.

How bad were your symptoms when you tapered the Ativan? I keep seeing on here that people have a really tough time. And stay in i/w most of the time, even when dosing 4 times a day.

You can't really compare experiences, Denise.  There are just too many variables.  Look at he length of ime I was on benzos, for one.  Also, I was already experiencing tolerance withdrawal and was taking Ambien and some psych meds to boot. :crazy:

both klonopin and ativan are evil to get off off. i have been on both when i was trying to taper. if i had to choose, i guess i would choose a slow taper from the ativan but they both make you crazy and they are both pretty much equally difficult to get off. a very slow taper and then to a micro taper or liquid titration is most likely ideal.