Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Stuck on uneven Klonopin dose. Suggestions?

[...]

I was on .5 am and .5 pm.  I started to taper and my night dose is now .25 but my pdoc wants me to stay here through the holidays.  I find I am having intermittant bouts of nervousness and am wondering if it is because my doses are uneven.  Like maybe going from morning to night my body is trying to accommodate the raising and dropping levels from day to day.  Could that be true or does the med not work that way?  I dont want to go back up but am afraid to go down more through the holidays. 

Klonopin has a pretty good half life, it takes a couple weeks to nearly clear the body. Most likely your body is upset that it was getting 1mg and now only gets .75mg. It wants more. I don't believe it has much or anything to do with being uneven doses, just that the overall amount is now lower.

Some people here taper down more slowly and get less side effects when the drop down. Others here taper down more slowly and still get bad side effects.

It will be 2 weeks on Sunday since I cut the evening dose.  You think I could still be having withdrawals from that?  I never even considered that!  I had one or two bad days then thought I was good.

It will be 2 weeks on Sunday since I cut the evening dose.  You think I could still be having withdrawals from that?  I never even considered that!  I had one or two bad days then thought I was good.

Yes, I think you could still be having w/d from that.  That's a pretty large cut.

If it were me, I would not decrease dosage again, yet.  I'd see how I'm feeling in another week or so, and then maybe decrease dosage again (or maybe after the holidays like your doc suggested), but not by 25%, but by a smaller percentage, not more than 10% decrease.

:smitten:

Your body is most likely dependent on klonopin. Due to the long half life of the drug it is entirely possible you would not feel the effect of taking less for 2-3 weeks.

Is your pdoc trying to taper you completely off? Since you've been on 3 months and starting to have some trouble it might be in your best interest to continue tapering all the way off at a sensible pace. Your doctor might try to go too fast if this first cut is any indication. Talk to some of the buddies here about tapering if you want to get off the klonopin. I jumped c/t so I know little about tapering except what I've read here. Take care!  :thumbsup:

[e1...]

O thought I'd chime in and echo what the rest are saying.

I was wondering about the same issue with dosage timing and Clonazepam w/d.  My benzo-wise doc said the same.  It has a long half-life and my symptoms were related to w/d. 

I try to adhere to my 8 hour between dose issue.  Many times it doesn't work.  I say don't sweat it.

Your Klon history is almost identical to mine. So are your dosages. Let me just say that I learned hard and fast that about 2-3 weeks in dose taper is when the body really starts cryin and hurtin. Hang in there and the next thing you know, you'll be cutting your daytime dose. Time takes time.