Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Can't sleep due to head circulation problems

[Ve...]

Wondering if anyone has experience like mine.  I dry cut tapered off .05 Ativan after many years of taking it at bedtime.  I took 6months to complete the taper and took my last on 10/1.  Lately I have been awakened from sleep with tingling and numbness in neck and back of the head.  Sometimes I get heart racing along with it.  Can't lay on my head anywhere without the weird ant crawling sensation coming on strong enough to wake me up.  I worry about thyroid problems and also the circulation to my head.  Went to ER two nights ago with the heart racing but came away with nothing.  My TSH was high at 6.83 but I already take synthroid and my endocrine doctor says my numbers are fine.  Anyone take anything that helps with this?  Getting a desperate feeling about everything.  Thanks for listening and hopefully responding with any tidbits of helpful info.

Well, I don't know much but you might try elevating your legs when you sleep? That way more blood will get to your brain

Hope this helps. I'm trying this tonight myself

Thank you for responding.  I do have an adjustable bed so I do get my legs up some.  I also have acid reflux so I have to be careful to keep my head elevated too.  Hope this works for you tonight and I'm glad you are getting off the Ativan. I stayed on way too long.  It's an evil medicine.  Thanks again for taking the time to write back.  God bless you as you make your way off this drug.

Skin tingling and crawling sensations are commonly reported by many. It may not be that your circulation is impaired, but that you FEEL those sensations.

I think about the possibility that the crawling sensations are exactly what I experience.  By the way, the ER doctor told me that I should only feel the effects of Ativan about ten days after my final dose.  I told him that this is not true for many people.  He told me to take Benadryl for sleep.  Not sure if that is a good idea or not.  Apparently only a few people in the medical field have any idea of the battle many face with getting off these drugs.  That is why it is good that this forum exists to encourage the people who don't have an understanding dr in their lives.  Thank you for responding to my post.  Hoping that sleep will be better tonight.  I do dread going to bed each night now.