Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Is Pregabalin safe 4 possible seizures caused by tumour @ 12 months off ?

[Wo...]

Dear All

I seriously need some help and guidance about taking Lyrica (Pregabalin) for possible partial seizures due to a small tumour.

Following a recent MRI a small cortical tumour was found sitting between my right temporal lobe and Amygdala which they think could also be causing temporal lobe partial or complex seizures, they want me to take Lyrica (Pregabalin) but im scared to take it in-case it sets me back, so far I've had 2 EEG's done and both came back clear, I told them if they find any evidence of Epilepsy I will then take the Lyrica but so far all tests are clear, now im been sent for a PET Scan and Nureophysicology Assessment.

The hardest thing is not knowing if the DP DR Confusion, Anxiety, Fear is coming from the withdrawal still at 12 months off or if its coming from the tumour as part of it is leaning on the Amgalyda and this is the region that controls all our anxiety's and fears, does anyone know anything about Lyrica while still in withdrawal? All I have read so far is negative for withdrawal but what about taking it for possible seizures while still in withdrawal?

All of the symptoms of partial and complex seizures are identical to the withdrawal symptoms but I never had any of these symptoms before or while on benzos, all these symptoms appeared after coming off so I don't know what to do and I am scared of taking anything for fear of getting worse or finding out I do not have Epilepsy and then having to withdraw of Lyrica and go through another withdrawal?

What would you do in my shoes, would you take it or wait it out and see if the withdrawal goes away?

They Nureo team say if I wait out the withdrawal and the symptoms are been caused by the tumour then I will have a long wait for the symptoms to go away?

I'm fed up of living in a different dimension for the last 12 months and just want my life back, I walked our dog earlier and everything still looks so unreal and otherworldly and I just feel inside that no matter how much I push myself I just cannot connect to my old life or the people in it , its as if I do not even exist anymore and I am just going through the motions, so now im stuck with the constant tortorus though, is it the withdrawal or is it the tumour that's causing the intense DP DR Confusion etc,?.

I would sincerely appreciate anyone contacting me who feels they can help?

Cheers All

Best Wishes

Woofs

At 12 months off you are long past the point where any seizures from benzo withdrawal are a problem.

As for Lyrica, I don't know since you are in the UK if you have to pay for your prescriptions or not. Here in the U.S., Lyrica is only available as a name brand, meaning it's more expensive. Lyrica, according to my doctor, is only an updated version of Neurontin, which is now available as a much cheaper generic (gabapentin) because its patent has expired. The two drugs are almost exactly the same, only a few molecules have been "tweaked," according to my doc, in order for Lyrica to qualify for a patent. I have diabetic peripheral neuropathy and have taken gabapentin for years. When it went from brand-name Neurontin to generic gabapentin my prescription co-pay went from $40 per prescription to $15.

The only side effect I noticed is that when I first began taking it, I was kind of drowsy. I slowly increased the amount I was taking and each time I increased, I'd be hit with the drowsiness. Now, the only time I notice anything is if I forget to take a dose. The nerve pain in my feet begins to get bad and I'll remember to take a dose and slowly the pain fade.

A lot of people have problems coming off gabapentin (and Lyrica, as well), so if you begin taking either, make sure that you do not abruptly discontinue it. It needs to be slowly tapered off of over a period of months.

I hope this information helps.

Thanku Tex

I know im passed the seizure threshold from benzos, just wanted to know if it was safe to take Lyrica while still in benzo withdrawal.

In the U,K we pay £7.80 per monthly prescription regardless of which drug it is.

I just don't want to take another drug that will end up causing me more pain if I do have to come off it, I mean if I went on it thinking the tumour was giving me partial seizures and then it was proved by further tests that I am not getting partial seizures as a result of the tumour then there would be no need for me to be on it so I would have to withdraw, that would be my worst nightmare having to fins out that I did not need to be on it and then having to go through any sort of withdrawal again after having gone through benzo withdrawal for 12 months already.

My 2 EEG have both been clear so far, its just difficult as the symptoms of Partial Epilepsy are the same as benzo symptoms.

Just makes the whole situation more complicated.

Cheers for responding.

Woofs

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I'm going through something similar with a lesion that was found in my left frontal lobe in April. I had a 72 hour EEG which showed no seizure activity. I had a repeat MRI in October and the lesion has not changed. I go back to the neurologist on Dec. 19th. I wish I could advise you on the Lyrica. My neuro wants to put me on Lamictal as he is convinced I am having complex partial seizures, though no tests support that theory yet. I too am holding off. Please take care and keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Isee