Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Is getting off, being off and staying off benzos any kind of achievement?

[Fl...]

Someone brought this up in another thread and I didn't want to derail that post so I thought I would see what everyone thought about it here.

For me getting off the drug wasn't any kind of achievement because I never had any kind of craving for these drugs and I didn't get hit hard with symptoms until I was a few months off.

I guess surviving acute wd and to a lesser extent post acute wd is an achievement considering these drugs do cause suicidal ideation.

But I don't feel like a "winner" in any way, shape or form. I know when someone says "congrats on being xx months off" they are only being kind, but what is there to be proud of for me? How is "existing" an accomplishment? All I am doing is putting one foot in front of the other, just like everyone else does.

I do believe that the longer we are off these drugs the better, so in a way each month that passes is a milestone of sorts, I just don't see much cause for celebration until I am at least well enough on a consistent basis to really be able to begin rebuilding my life.

I don't want anyone take this thread the wrong way. I am not trying to start a debate.....just curious how everyone else sees this. If there is one thing I have learned during this process it is that we all have our own unique situation and that we all experience this a little differently, so if anyone else tells me that they feel like any part of this was an achievement for them, that's good enough for me. I am sure just getting off of benzos or tapering a percentage of their dose is a HUGE deal for some people. I just feel like in my case there isn't much to celebrate until I reach the end of this journey.

What do you think?

Perhaps part of the reason you feel as you do is that you are experiencing the apathy that comes along with withdrawal.

At times I feel like I've accomplished something because I have been tempted to take a rescue dose many times as the suffering was unbearable, but I resisted. That was very hard. However, at other times I just feel like a victim who is getting pushed around by this awful drug and when I get through it, life isn't going to be all roses just because I survived benzo withdrawal.

Will I be celebrating when I'm healed? At times maybe, but I'll also be scarred because this experience has taken away any sense of safety I used to have. I think I will cry and wonder why anyone has to go through this. Let us know how you feel in the future.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Bi...]

• [Fl...]

• [Be...]

• [Wi...]

Yah, that's definitely a fast taper.  You didn't have a whole lot of w/d symptoms while tapering?

Looking back I can see that there were a few things I did that were out of character during that time but aside from that, no, I didn't have any pronounced wd symptoms. I didn't even realize anything was wrong until I was maybe 2.5 months off when things started to ramp up and I found BB after starting to suspect that it might be from the benzo.

Perhaps part of the reason you feel as you do is that you are experiencing the apathy that comes along with withdrawal.

Yea, I think that has something to do with it. How can you feel pride when you can't feel pleasure? Or if you can't value yourself as a person?

Another thing that plays into this is the lack of validation from the medical community and the general public. If you were to win a trophy in a contest that no one else cared about or saw any kind of value in, would you still feel like it was an accomplishment? As nice as it sounds to not be dependent on other people for our happiness, at the end of the day humans are SOCIAL creatures and we benefit from the recognition of our peers. Sure, we are validated by others here on BB, but there is just no substitute for getting recognition in real life.

I am proud to be off these horrible drugs! I am also proud of myself because this was a HUGE accomplishment. When I tapered down , I would know that I was going to be in acute misery with each drop. I dreaded each drop. Yet I kept going forward . I never went back. I really think that this is amazing achievement !

I believe each and every one of us should be proud of their accomplishments both during and after tapering. It honestly takes strength mentally and physically!   

So yes...yes....yes  I am proud of myself!        Pinkee

I agree with Pinkee. It would be great to receive validation from others in the way that those overcoming other medical ordeals do but recognition from others is generally short lived unless you are a sports hero or movie star, (& even then you can become stinky socks overnight, if you mess up).

This is the hardest challenge I have overcome, (& I have had plenty of tough things happen to me). This has decimated my life savings but I am healthy again & emotionally stronger than I have ever been in my life. I can't think of any scenario, (including becoming completely destitute) that I wouldn't be able to cope with.

I would never have signed up for this compulsory character development but having been conscripted & survived, will I celebrate, heck yeah.

I do understand that those who are still struggling emotionally may see things differently.

[92...]

Here here, I agree whole heartedly with pinkee and ihope and am proud I jumped off 7mg and made it.

I look forward to being well and emotionally strong, unfortunately I am back in another wave :(

like I said, simply existing for me is a accomplishment  :-\

Where are you Benzy? You haven't posted today and that's not like you at all. Are you okay?

Just forget all the stuff that happened yesterday, okay? That was then, this is now. We all have our bad days and yesterday was yours.

You spread a lot of good cheer and positive thoughts around here and are cared about.

So please let us know if you're okay?

Chinook :hug:

Florida, I am going to give you a 2 year BB chip

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag4/birdman22222/2yearchip_zps891ef169.jpg

keep a copy in your pocket ;D 

(Darn, forgot to use roman numerals 8))

Chinookwind , what happened with benzy? I missed most of yesterday.  Is he ok?  I like benzy

Always so supportive with lots of humour! 

Florida, I am going to give you a 2 year BB chip

Do I get a 3 year chip the end of next month?

If I remember or your request it yes ;D  Call me the BB chip maker ;)

Ok here's a one year chip for towardsthesun  ;D

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag4/birdman22222/BByearchip1_zpse65f7c35.jpg

And for you Pinkee

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag4/birdman22222/BByearchip1m_zpsfec3af6e.jpg

Ok here's a one year chip for Pinkee and towardsthesun  ;D

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag4/birdman22222/BByearchip1_zpse65f7c35.jpg

Me, too, and I'm looking forward to my two year chip!

;D

May I have a 4 year chip Birdman, please?  Getting off psych drugs has been the most humongous achievement of my life and I've done some pretty neat stuff before this.  No regrets about doing this today.  :)

Ok here's a one year chip for Pinkee and towardsthesun  ;D

Me, too, and I'm looking forward to my two year chip!

;D

I think I need to start work on a full BB chip set  :laugh:

May I have a 4 year chip Birdman, please?  Getting off psych drugs has been the most humongous achievement of my life and I've done some pretty neat stuff before this.  No regrets about doing this today.  :)

Ok here you go.  Good job Whoopsie :smitten:

Yes it is great achievement being off and staying off benzos (This make's it more fun ;D)

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag4/birdman22222/BByearchip4_zps286e52f9.jpg

Ok here you go.  Good job Whoopsie :smitten:

Yes it is great achievement being off and staying off benzos (This make's it more fun ;D)

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag4/birdman22222/BByearchip4_zps286e52f9.jpg

Thank you so much.  :clap:  Yay me!!  Hugs not drugs.    :mybuddy:

Can I have one, too? I feel really bad tonight  :-[

Hi gettingthere,  I hope you feel better soon :smitten:

I already have one year tokens up here  :laugh: