Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Am I tapering too fast?

[...]

I have been on .5mg Klonopin morning and night for almost 3 months.  3 days ago I cut my PM dose in half since I have the Remeron to help with sleep.  For the last 3 days I thought "WOW, this is going to be easy "  Then WHAM!  Starting yesterday I am having these bouts of rapid heart beat and internal shakes.  Is this normal or did I knock off too much at one time.  Good news is that I am sleeping, thanks to the remeron I suspect.  These bouts are mostly in the afternoon and in the morning till I take my morning dose then they subside a little.  Ughhh...I just want to get through this and feel some emotion again!  My psyc said i should be able to cut 1/2 a dose every 3 days and be done in 12 days.  From what I read here thats way too fast.  Can anyone suggest help and is what I am feeling normal?

so should I go back or after 4 days just stick with this for a week or so and then continue once these symptoms start to diminish.  assuming they will...

If you are being slammed by a rapid dosage reduction and you have identified that the problem was indeed a too rapid dosage reduction, and you are dreadfully uncomfortable, then it is MY OPINION to go back to where you made the error and either 1) resume the same dose until stable or 2) up dose part way until you feel stable.  There is the option of riding it out and many here prefer that option. I myself made a similar mistake once in my taper, turned back to where I made the error, up dosed, stabilized, then proceeded for a few weeks with smaller more cautious cuts. After that I was able to move ahead more rapidly. My brain just needed the chance to 'catch up' and stabilize.

Other opinions will differ. I am merely stating what I felt I HAD to do for myself in this situation. You know best what you feel you need to do for yourself. I am just saying that while Ashton doesn't recommend up dosing, I personally feel that if you have made an error that correcting that error can sometimes be worthwhile in order to regain stability and get things back on track. Not always the case, but it is was I did. You yourself will be the best judge of what you wish to do next.