Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Lizie's update ...

[li...]

Dear Friends ....

I think it's time for me to write this .... and I hope, in turn, it will encourage someone out there .....

Yes, recovery happens .... and this is coming from someone who was not expected to be able to survive nerve pain without drugs!

It all started in 2007, when I had a triple cervical fusion.  It was a very rough time.

I was referred to a pain doctor and thus began my horrible fall into accidental addiction.

I trusted him and he nearly destroyed me.

After I fired him, I began reducing each drug, in the desperate hope that I would one day feel 'normal' again.

Folks, it was a difficult journey .... but worth every step! 

I started with lyrica, naively not even knowing what the word 'withdrawal' really implied.

Was I in for a shock!  The nausea, stomach cramps and flashes were debilitating!

Then I targeted oxycontin and hydrocodone by finding a 'suboxone' doctor.

He seemed pleasant enough .... almost compassionate ....

until he realised I really did mean it when I said that I was only going to use the stuff temporarily to get off opioids. 

I couldn't understand his frustration at first, until he blurted out one day, when my reading on the subject offended him,

that he was a Rep for the company! 

His conflict of interest made me even more determined to succeed.

My final challenge was that 'little yellow pill', clonazepam. 

I had been told that it was just a muscle relaxer and that it would help my nerve pain.

What a sad day it was when I realised that I would have to endure yet another painful withdrawal!

With the help of BenzoBuddies, though, I no longer felt isolated.

Suddenly, I understood what was happening .... whether it was benzo flu that day or dizziness.

I learnt so much from this site .... including how to titrate .... coping skills like the power of meditation ....

For this, I am forever grateful.

Nine months have passed since I took my last drop .....

I continue to be med free ..... and life is so much better.

This will happen for you, too!

Stay positive, my friends ..... and don't ever give up!

Lizie

:smitten:

Things that helped:

family support and BB

healthy, fresh food

light exercise like walking

comedies

music

meditation

deep breathing

massage

relaxing showers

heating pads

positive thinking and self-talk

happy distraction

sheer determination

titration

patience

no meds

gratitude

:smitten:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [li...]

• [Fl...]

• [Ja...]

• [st...]

:clap: :clap:  :clap:  Lizie, you were one of the first buddies I met here. This couldn't have happened to a nicer person.  Thank you for writing your success story.  Wow!  Well done Lizie and congratulations.

Thank you, Jazzy!

You played a role in this .... probably more than you realise.

Take care, my friend.

Wishing you "good" days every day ....

Lizie

Hey, Lizie, you sweetheart you!  I hadn't checked this thread for a while, but I heard from another member in a PM that you'd posted here.  It's WONDERFUL to find you sounding so strong and positive--not to mention offering encouragement to others on which no price can be set.  I know you'll have brightened some people's day today.  More later, but for now. . .

:hug:  :smitten:

Peace,

Rek

Lizie, I'm so happy for you. There are no words!

Thank you for posting that. You know how much it means to those of us that are still in the thick of it.  :sick:

thanks, thanks, and more thanks...  :hug:

koko  :smitten:

rekroywen Congrats! :)

How long where you on clonaszepam?

Did you have depression spells? Did you have long lasting waves with stomach issues and jitters and anxiety?

Did you just feel better at 9 months or is this when you decided to write you success story.

Ann

You are the "sweetheart", Rek!

Thanks ... and take care, my friend ....

I feel honoured that someone mentioned this in a PM to you ...

Lizie  :smitten:

rekroywen Congrats! :)

How long where you on clonaszepam?

Did you have depression spells? Did you have long lasting waves with stomach issues and jitters and anxiety?

Did you just feel better at 9 months or is this when you decided to write you success story.

Ann

Hi Ann,

I was on clonazepam for two years and then did a nine month titration taper.

Yes, there were times I had depression but it was far worse when I dry cut at the beginning and cut 25%.

After I switched to titration, things became less intense and more manageable.

I felt better around four months but then got hit with a kidney stone.

This messed me up for a while.  I just chose to write it now.  I suppose I was afraid of jinxing myself.

Lizie

That is awesome news! Well not your kidney stone  :(

I hope that I heal fast like you. My last wave which I think might be lifting at this time was a very hard one. Actually I've never had an easy wave :(

I pray that I heal soon

Best wishes to you! Bell well :smitten:

Lizie!!!

Wow, you had a lot of meds to withdraw from and you did it!!! I'm so happy to hear from a fellow "fusion buddy" that you are doing so well. I was fused from C5-7 in 2009.  Enjoy your life and your wellness!

pianogirl  :smitten:

Thanks, Pianogirl! 

Not only are we "fusion buddies", but you were the first to respond to me when I joined BB.

The kindness you showed me made such a difference!

Thank you for all that you do .....

Lizie    :smitten:

lizie, congrats on nine months!  amazing what you've gone through!  i hoped to see a success story from you sometime, so it's good to hear you are doing well now.  i think we joined here about the same time.  thanks for being a friend and for the support you've given, i've always looked forward to your positive outlook. 

hope it keeps getting better and better for you,

zeek  :)

It's wonderful to hear from you, Zeek!

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, I think we joined around the same time ..... and you have helped me more than you realise!

Take care, my friend.  I look forward to your success story!

Lizie  :)

Hi Lizie,

I have been dealing with some yuckiness (just left a long story on the Klonopin Klub) but I wanted to stop by and say how glad I am that you are in such a good place. I remember you from when I first joined as a calm voice in the wilderness. You have been through so much. Save a space for me on the sunny side, I want to join you there!

JKS

Hi Lizie,

Your the BEST!!!! Happy for you, as you are enjoying your life without pills!!!! I remember posting to you

on Jess's Blog!!

Good to see YOUR success story here!! Miss you and your wisdom. Life is BEAUTIFUL for you once again.

All the best, Lizie

NFM :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lizie,

I have been dealing with some yuckiness (just left a long story on the Klonopin Klub) but I wanted to stop by and say how glad I am that you are in such a good place. I remember you from when I first joined as a calm voice in the wilderness. You have been through so much. Save a space for me on the sunny side, I want to join you there!

JKS

Hi JKS,

Sorry I have taken so long to respond.  I was in Britain for two weeks visiting my mother who is unwell.

I really appreciate your good wishes and the PM you sent me.  I'll have to catch up on that thread.

Yes ..... I'll keep a spot for you on the sunny side! 

Hi Lizie,

Your the BEST!!!! Happy for you, as you are enjoying your life without pills!!!! I remember posting to you

on Jess's Blog!!

Good to see YOUR success story here!! Miss you and your wisdom. Life is BEAUTIFUL for you once again.

All the best, Lizie

NFM :angel:

Oh NFM .... thanks so much!  You are one of my favourites!!

I miss you, too, and look forward to reading your success story.

Let me know how you are when you have time ....

Lizzie

So happy for your success.  :smitten:  I am new on BB so trying to read encouraging posts.  I am struggling with Bad anxiety and continued muscle weakness and tremors but mostly with coping and hopelessness.

I cry all day long.  :'(.  Been benzo free for over 6 mo.  Your list of the things that helped you is great but I lack positive outlook.  I've tried meditation but no luck.  Breathing sometimes helps.  Baylissa Bliss' Facebook page helps and I do EFT....and lots of prayer.  Thanks again and I wish more recovered folks would post on BB. 

Thanks again for the success story.