antibiotics

Which antibiotics are safe to take while on benzos? Not that I need one right now but figured I'd ask because many people have colds and such around me and if it came down to It which are safe? I know there is an interactions with a certain type of antibiotics just didn't know which ones. Also I am allergic to all sulfur and levaquin drugs

From Ashton

" Antibiotics for some reason, sometimes seem to aggravate withdrawal symptoms. However, one class of antibiotics, the quinolones, actually displace benzodiazepines from their binding sites on GABA-receptors. These can precipitate acute withdrawal in people taking or tapering from benzodiazepines. It may be necessary to take antibiotics during benzodiazepine withdrawal but if possible the quinolones should be avoided. (There are at least six different quinolones - ask your doctor if in doubt). "  Cipro, Levaquin, Floxin, Cipro, Tequin are some different types of quinolone antibiotics.

Amanda

I would steer clear from the quinolones for sure, these are very evil drugs that caused me tons of issues which lead to my ativan usage.

Hi Sam,

Stay away from quinolones and fluoroquinolones.  I had no problem using amoxycillin for a sinus infection while tapering.  Levaquin, a fluoroquinolone, also got me into this mess, hence the Xanax. 

Patty  xo